Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • rebecca1
    • By rebecca1 10th Jun 16, 12:43 PM
    • 70Posts
    • 12Thanks
    rebecca1
    Capital Protected Bond ....are they safe?
    • 10th Jun 16, 12:43 PM
    Capital Protected Bond ....are they safe? 10th Jun 16 at 12:43 PM
    I was thinking of taking one of these for a year.
    Anyone got any helpful advice to whether it is safe?
    The worse that can happen (as far as I can see) is that you use a years interest

Thanks
    Rebecca

Capital Insured, Fixed Income Bond (7% p.a)
    1 - 5 Year Term
    7% p.a. Fixed Interest
    Capital Protected* - (Financial Guarantee Insurance (‘FGI’) Provided by Gable Insurance)
    Quarterly or Annual Interest Options
    90 Day Exit Option* - (after 12 months)
Page 1
    • aldershot
    • By aldershot 10th Jun 16, 2:17 PM
    • 112 Posts
    • 79 Thanks
    aldershot
    • 10th Jun 16, 2:17 PM
    • 10th Jun 16, 2:17 PM
    What happens if Gable Insurance goes bust? Google them.

If 1 year interest rates are somewhere between 0.5% and 1% and someone offers you 7%, what do you think the risks are?
    • Malthusian
    • By Malthusian 10th Jun 16, 2:37 PM
    • 1,873 Posts
    • 2,643 Thanks
    Malthusian
    • 10th Jun 16, 2:37 PM
    • 10th Jun 16, 2:37 PM
    It would help if you posted a link to exactly what you are being offered (Googling turned up nothing).

However this sounds like an unregulated corporate loan which has a significant risk of losing 100% of your money. (Because we get 2-3 a week of them on this board.)

If you find the words "Capital Insured" "Capital Protected "Financial Guarantee" attractive then you shouldn't be going anywhere near unregulated investments with a risk of 100% loss.
    • Aretnap
    • By Aretnap 10th Jun 16, 3:04 PM
    • 2,587 Posts
    • 2,049 Thanks
    Aretnap
    • 10th Jun 16, 3:04 PM
    • 10th Jun 16, 3:04 PM
    What happens if Gable Insurance goes bust? Google them.
    Originally posted by aldershot
    This Gable Insurance?

http://www.insuranceage.co.uk/insurance-age/news/2410423/profits-plummet-for-unrated-gable

https://www.insuranceerm.com/news-comment/gable-insurance-falls-short-on-solvency-capital.html (Full article is behind a paywall, but the headline alone would make me nervous)
    • aldershot
    • By aldershot 10th Jun 16, 3:18 PM
    • 112 Posts
    • 79 Thanks
    aldershot
    • 10th Jun 16, 3:18 PM
    • 10th Jun 16, 3:18 PM
    Yep, that one!

Capital guaranteed is meaningless and should be banned from any financial services advertising except NS&I which has to ability to print your capital!
    • rebecca1
    • By rebecca1 10th Jun 16, 3:55 PM
    • 70 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    rebecca1
    • 10th Jun 16, 3:55 PM
    • 10th Jun 16, 3:55 PM
    Thanks everyone, the old saying 'if it sounds too good to be true it probably isn't' bells alarmed with me, just thought I would get others opinions .....

Rebecca
    • Mikeatwh
    • By Mikeatwh 4th Nov 16, 10:03 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Mikeatwh
    • 4th Nov 16, 10:03 PM
    • 4th Nov 16, 10:03 PM
    I can confirm , from recent bitter and very expensive experience , that Anthony Flaton ( based in Fleet , among other places) is a total fraudster with its "SABLE" FGI protected financial products. Also stear clear of Fox & Co ( who proport to be independant financial advisors) is another , of the many, UK companies registered at Companies Housewith Anthony Flaton as a company official.
    • Pincher
    • By Pincher 5th Nov 16, 6:46 PM
    • 6,378 Posts
    • 2,413 Thanks
    Pincher
    • 5th Nov 16, 6:46 PM
    • 5th Nov 16, 6:46 PM
    Looking forward to a BBC Panorama program.

It really does feel like they just look up MSE when they need story ideas.
    What happens if you push this button?
    • Beenscammed
    • By Beenscammed 12th Nov 16, 9:00 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Beenscammed
    • 12th Nov 16, 9:00 PM
    • 12th Nov 16, 9:00 PM
    This is a complete scan by a guy called Anthony Flaton don' t even think about it.
    I lost £40K along with numerous others
    • Jersey1967
    • By Jersey1967 4th Dec 16, 6:30 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Jersey1967
    Fox and co introduced me to Equitable Law Capital as well as Sable uk Partners now Sable international, ECL now in liquidation and no word from Mr Flaton ref my other investment. Life savings gone now. Wish there was something someone could do. ombudsman doesn't seem to do much, Action Aid contacted, it took over 1 hour on phone whilst my every word was taken down. Could do with one of those Debt collecting firms you see on TV. Feeling so stupid is the worse thing. Took years of hard work to accrue this money. Should have spent it all and be on Benefits now.
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 4th Dec 16, 9:22 PM
    • 87,281 Posts
    • 52,434 Thanks
    dunstonh
    Should have spent it all and be on Benefits now.
    Or perhaps stuck to conventional options and not use weird unregulated things.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. Different people have different needs and what is right for one person may not be for another. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from a Financial Adviser local to you.
    • longleggedhair
    • By longleggedhair 4th Dec 16, 11:17 PM
    • 200 Posts
    • 263 Thanks
    longleggedhair
    Fox and co introduced me to Equitable Law Capital as well as Sable uk Partners now Sable international, ECL now in liquidation and no word from Mr Flaton ref my other investment. Life savings gone now. Wish there was something someone could do. ombudsman doesn't seem to do much, Action Aid contacted, it took over 1 hour on phone whilst my every word was taken down. Could do with one of those Debt collecting firms you see on TV. Feeling so stupid is the worse thing. Took years of hard work to accrue this money. Should have spent it all and be on Benefits now.
    Originally posted by Jersey1967
    I'm very sorry to hear of your situation, however I can't believe that after a lifetime of hard work and saving you would risk everything on one silly scheme that stinks from a mile off.

The scams I read about, such as people transferring their savings on the strength of a call allegedly off their bank or some daft capital bond.

A part of me thinks if people are that daft they deserve to lose their dough. As the old saying goes a fool and his money are easily parted.
    • Jersey1967
    • By Jersey1967 12th Mar 17, 11:10 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Jersey1967
    jersey 1967
    2 companies Flaton introduced us to were Equitable Law capital and Sable International,
    both in liquidation. Gable Insurers also in liquidation. Beggers believe that its so easy to liquidate after thieving all your money> police investigation
    ongoing with Mr Anthony Flaton. from Fox & Co.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,305Posts Today

8,594Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • MSE weekly email: Big Energy Switch 7, £5 Next/Zara etc, buy euros now?, 10xNectar, 2for1 gardens, urgent easyjet https://t.co/bS4J70hBbx

• Today's Twitter poll 2: following on, which of these professions would you trust least if you were using their services?

• Today's Twitter poll: Which of these professions would you trust most if you were using their services?

• Follow Martin