Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • thebigstillmeister
    • By thebigstillmeister 10th Jun 16, 10:31 AM
    • 96Posts
    • 69Thanks
    thebigstillmeister
    Remove Moss from roof
    • 10th Jun 16, 10:31 AM
    Remove Moss from roof 10th Jun 16 at 10:31 AM
    Hi,

Wonder is anyone can give me a rough idea of a reasonable cost of removing moss from the roof and fixing two tiles.

We moved in to a 4 bed detached house with a detached double garage.

The roof is covered in quite a bit of moss and falls in to the garden. It was also commented on during the building survey when we moved.

The two cracked tiles are on the garage,

First quote we received was for £1200 in December,

Another company came around this morning and spoke to my wife,.. he said the roof is very large and really it should be about £5k but obviously couldn't quote us that so would be £2,100,

So thats double the first?, and I wouldn't say our roof is extra large for a 4 bed,

Surely for 5k I could just get all the tiles replaced not just cleaned,

Any one know a rough cost? just so I have something to guide me,

thanks,
Page 1
    • Dan-Dan
    • By Dan-Dan 10th Jun 16, 11:11 AM
    • 4,928 Posts
    • 4,329 Thanks
    Dan-Dan
    • 10th Jun 16, 11:11 AM
    • 10th Jun 16, 11:11 AM
    Hi,

Another company came around this morning and spoke to my wife,.. he said the roof is very large and really it should be about £5k but obviously couldn't quote us that so would be £2,100,
    Originally posted by thebigstillmeister
    Whatever you do do , do NOT invite this absolute clown back, ever
    Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.
    • shaun from Africa
    • By shaun from Africa 10th Jun 16, 11:17 AM
    • 9,741 Posts
    • 10,950 Thanks
    shaun from Africa
    • 10th Jun 16, 11:17 AM
    • 10th Jun 16, 11:17 AM
    Whatever you do do , do NOT invite this absolute clown back, ever
    Originally posted by Dan-Dan

Seconded.
    He sounds like the "Arfur Daley" type of person.
    Why would any professional business do £5000 worth of work for only £2100?
    • thebigstillmeister
    • By thebigstillmeister 10th Jun 16, 11:33 AM
    • 96 Posts
    • 69 Thanks
    thebigstillmeister
    • 10th Jun 16, 11:33 AM
    • 10th Jun 16, 11:33 AM
    thanks for the replies...

yes, don't worry, my wife politely thanked him for coming out, we have no intention of taking him up on his offer,
    • Dan-Dan
    • By Dan-Dan 10th Jun 16, 11:41 AM
    • 4,928 Posts
    • 4,329 Thanks
    Dan-Dan
    • 10th Jun 16, 11:41 AM
    • 10th Jun 16, 11:41 AM
    I think £1200 seems steep but i suppose it depends on scaffold costs etc , i think you could probably get a local roofer round with his ladders willing to do it for a lot less

I personally would not let anyone anywhere near my roof with a power washer by the way....
    Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.
    • thebigstillmeister
    • By thebigstillmeister 10th Jun 16, 3:59 PM
    • 96 Posts
    • 69 Thanks
    thebigstillmeister
    • 10th Jun 16, 3:59 PM
    • 10th Jun 16, 3:59 PM
    Just seen the quote in an email from the 2k+ guy, it includes 'jet washing' the tiles,.. not sure he knows what he's doing.

Got another quote earlier, £1650,

... found a website called quotationcheck.com and they give a rough cost broken down to size of company, size of house and region,.

suggests between 625 for a '1 man' business to 875 for a small business up to 5 people.

thanks,
    • robatwork
    • By robatwork 11th Jun 16, 11:29 AM
    • 4,096 Posts
    • 4,485 Thanks
    robatwork
    • 11th Jun 16, 11:29 AM
    • 11th Jun 16, 11:29 AM
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/5D16fqhSVsTffxKrQQmQWPn/rogue-traders-renov8-north-west-ltd

They quote £900 for roof and driveway.

Just get the tiles fixed, then offer them £100 to brush the moss away while they are up there. Don't pressure wash your roof - waste of money.
    • Robin9
    • By Robin9 11th Jun 16, 11:34 AM
    • 2,239 Posts
    • 1,436 Thanks
    Robin9
    • 11th Jun 16, 11:34 AM
    • 11th Jun 16, 11:34 AM
    OP - what part of the country are you in?

I can recommend a firm in Gloucestershire
    • Furts
    • By Furts 11th Jun 16, 5:30 PM
    • 3,868 Posts
    • 2,463 Thanks
    Furts
    • 11th Jun 16, 5:30 PM
    • 11th Jun 16, 5:30 PM
    Back to OP to ponder over. I recently got a team to do some roofing repair works and all sorts to a property similar to yours. The tiles had to colour match, and they were big and heavy. Nothing special if you know where to source them but to get them delivered to the job cost 84 pence each.

Hence your replacement tiles would have a budget of £1.64 attached to them. Reflect on this when you ponder over your costings!

The work included removing an existing defective ridge line, supplying new ridge tiles, dentil slips, bedding in place, then removing and replacing various roof tiles, fitting new guttering, making good chimney flashing, pointing part of a gable end, brickwork repairs and various odd jobs. The total cost came in at £600. So beneath your figures by a country mile!

Again reflect on this when reviewing the quotes you receive.

The bottom line is there are a lot of people being taken for ride, throughout the country, on roofing works!
    • Justagardener
    • By Justagardener 8th Feb 18, 1:56 PM
    • 99 Posts
    • 84 Thanks
    Justagardener
    I come across this problem a lot in my work and moss on roofs is actually incredibly easy to treat and kill. Use sodium percarbonate it works every time. It's a granule which I sprinkle over the whole roof. It needs to be applied when the roof is damp so I generally damp down the roof with a hose pipe first . It also kills the moss spores so there is no regrowth. The best part is that it doesn't harm plants or grass below and is actually good for septic tanks if thats where the roof run off goes. It's about £25 for 5kg and this will do a 3 bed semi the only cost is a roofer to go up and apply it....half a day at most
    info here....
    https://effectivemosskillers.com/roof-moss-killer/
    Last edited by Justagardener; Yesterday at 6:11 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,275Posts Today

7,300Users online

Martin's Twitter