Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Lamentation
    • By Lamentation 8th Jun 16, 8:14 PM
    • 28Posts
    • 32Thanks
    Lamentation
    How to cure Anxiety on a low budget
    • 8th Jun 16, 8:14 PM
    How to cure Anxiety on a low budget 8th Jun 16 at 8:14 PM
    I have suffered from anxiety for over a decade. It has impacted my employment to a considerable degree as I struggle to get a job and hold down a job. When I am out of employment, I get miserable so I do actively seek work which gives me a routine and gets me out of the house.

To date, I have tried multiple counsellors and hypnotherapists (both phone apps and in person), undertaken NLP, attended meditation courses (though haven't continued the practice), taken up yoga (though moved away from the studio so don't do it anymore).

I have researched the condition by reading books by experts, looked into mindfulness, explored buddhism, kept a gratitude diary. I try to eat well, keep fit, sleep well and my partner is supportive.

The counselling I have undertaken and other supporting activities give me some temporary relief but the anxiety always returns - can't eat, can't sleep, nausea, upset stomach and so forth.

But I've just lasted 2 days in a new job before panicking that I couldn't do it and resigned.

So what are my other options to permanently cure my anxiety given my low budget? Thanks.
Page 2
    • AnnMollys
    • By AnnMollys 24th Aug 16, 10:32 PM
    • 28 Posts
    • 22 Thanks
    AnnMollys
    Anxiety is not something you cure, everyone has it to some extent, it is something you learn to manage.

What strikes me is that you don't follow through with the things you learn - the techniques from therapy, mindfulness, yoga etc. Think back to things that have worked in the past, how can you implement them into your life now? You don't need a therapist or a studio to do that, they can all be done at home.
    Originally posted by tomtontom
    I haven’t read all the replies, but this one really fits the scene, I believe it’s all about learning to live with it. I believe it’s a thing that comes with us and goes with us; it’s not something you can remove just like emotions. The only advice I could give you is to avoid overthinking because that’s where all problems are created. Also, it’s important that you keep yourself busy whether it’s with the job or any other activity…. Just don’t let yourself time to think instead make yourself so busy that you don’t have time to think about these stuff… Hope it helps.
    • lucia22
    • By lucia22 25th Aug 16, 12:25 AM
    • 159 Posts
    • 1,471 Thanks
    lucia22
    I've had anxiety for years. It many ways it has been life limiting as it's prevented me from achieving my potential due to the stress it causes. But now I try not to think about what could have been and just focus on what I can do now as this is what matters. Admittedly I still sometimes overthink about things but it's nowhere near as bad.

What helped me was sessions of CBT, adding regular exercise into my weekly routine, and my own self-prescribed exposure methods. I try and stick at it and fight through although in certain circumstances that it isn't possible. I've also had to come to terms with it. Over time I have just accepted that I have anxiety and it makes it so much easier to deal with because I am not trying to fundamentally change who I am but I am just learning ways to manage it. I'm much calmer now than I used to be but there will always be an element of anxiety in my personality.

I see anxiety not as an illness as such but something that can happen to a lot of people. Some people aren't very understanding of it but at the same time a lot of people may have experienced it without being aware of it (including the people who dismiss it as a genuine medical condition!).

Hope it all works out for you . I also agree with AnnMolly's comment: keeping yourself busy does help even if you have to force it initially.
    No Buying Unnecessary Toiletries 2016 (started challenge on 27th Dec 2015)
    Toiletries Total UU to end of Nov - 190
    | December - UU - 2| Makeup Total UU to end of Nov - 5
    • ludhiyaparker
    • By ludhiyaparker 26th Aug 16, 9:50 AM
    • 8 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    ludhiyaparker
    Give a Nice rest to your Brain; ie; Good Night sleep.
    • Lamentation
    • By Lamentation 15th Sep 16, 10:54 PM
    • 28 Posts
    • 32 Thanks
    Lamentation
    Another quick update.

The medication continues to be effective so I'm sleeping and eating well, no nausea, feeling much more confident and relaxed. I will go to the GP soon and get a clearer idea of how long I should be on anxiety medication for and how I can come off them.

I've been meditating nearly every day, a task that used to feel like an endurance event has become an activity that is easier to complete now because my mental stillness and mood is generally much better.

The temporary job has boosted my confidence. In my last couple of jobs, I felt useless and stressed.

This one is much less demanding but I feel as if I am able to use my initiative, work hard with full concentration and that I've impressed the manager. So though its an easier job, I think I am going the extra mile on it quite happily. I find it easier to think and act and I'm not carrying around a sense of dread and fatigue with me. It's nice to be able to work without feeling foggy, nauseous and double checking everything out of fear of making a mistake.

I'm surprised that the weight I previously lost through lack of appetite has stayed off even though I feel that I am eating much better (albeit not snacking to the same degree as in the past). I don't seem to feel as hungry as I did, perhaps due to the tablets or reduction in my misery.
    • Jox
    • By Jox 16th Sep 16, 6:08 PM
    • 1,217 Posts
    • 2,579 Thanks
    Jox
    Good to hear how quickly things have turned around! Hope things get better and better for you, keep us updated.
    • fireblade28
    • By fireblade28 18th Sep 16, 7:00 PM
    • 85 Posts
    • 57 Thanks
    fireblade28
    Meditation. Use headspace app for 15mons every morning. I don't even do it consistently any more but the effects of reducing my anxiety have been permanent which I did not expect! I don't get it anywhere near as bad.
    You can't cure it because it has to exisit as humans it keeps us safe you just don't want it to be overactive
    • robbyfine
    • By robbyfine 22nd Sep 16, 8:17 AM
    • 77 Posts
    • 36 Thanks
    robbyfine
    I was suffering from a deep depression and long term anxiety issues too
    Last edited by robbyfine; 30-11-2016 at 9:34 AM.
    • mickeymouse303
    • By mickeymouse303 22nd Sep 16, 11:23 AM
    • 62 Posts
    • 31 Thanks
    mickeymouse303
    I'm sorry to hear you've been struggling with it for so long, but like everyone says, there's no cure as I'm sure you know! Has there been absolutely nothing useful from all the methods you've tried?
    • nanny beach
    • By nanny beach 23rd Sep 16, 3:50 PM
    • 31 Posts
    • 54 Thanks
    nanny beach
    Hope you can still benefit, OH has severe anxiety and multiple phobas. Folk think anxiety is the same as a panic attack, his can last 2 weeks easily. He always had an excuse for not trying anything, usually cant afford it. He did see a hypnotherapist, which helped to a degree, but he never went back, and ironically, the next sessions would have been free. Our Gp says he isnt allowed to prescribe Diazepam anymore, Citalopram made him ill, and he didnt want to do the drug route, he had many many years on anitdepressants. Have suggested Tia Chi, meditation, NLP CBT, but he is a bloke and from Sarf london. Cannot print what he calls these sorts of therapies. Anone see the documentary BBC1 Dr Chris Van Tuliken getting people off drugs, worth a look.
    • Lamentation
    • By Lamentation 16th Oct 16, 4:45 PM
    • 28 Posts
    • 32 Thanks
    Lamentation
    Hope you can still benefit, OH has severe anxiety and multiple phobas. Folk think anxiety is the same as a panic attack, his can last 2 weeks easily. He always had an excuse for not trying anything, usually cant afford it...
    Originally posted by nanny beach
    Hopefully this thread highlights some of the cheap and free options for dealing with his issues.

That said, you have indicated a general resistance to seeking or sticking with support that could resolve his health.

I read somewhere, perhaps it was Eckart Tolle, that some people prefer to stick with suffering, which is familiar with them, rather than make uncomfortable changes.

He did see a hypnotherapist, which helped to a degree, but he never went back, and ironically, the next sessions would have been free. Our Gp says he isnt allowed to prescribe Diazepam anymore, Citalopram made him ill, and he didnt want to do the drug route, he had many many years on anitdepressants. Have suggested Tia Chi, meditation, NLP CBT, but he is a bloke and from Sarf london. Cannot print what he calls these sorts of therapies..
    Originally posted by nanny beach
    I do wonder whether things like Hypnotherapy can just have a short-term lift but don't necessarily tackle the root-cause so the same issue can bubble up again in future and gets added to a list of 'proposed cures that don't work'. However, not following things through and consolidating it, caused I think by restlessness, was probably a fault of mine, too.

I think the illness really sabotages and undercuts the action and effort required to resolve it. It requires changes to behaviour, attitude, routines, beliefs and regular practice when the mood of the person is really low and the outlook very pessimistic. It's easy to give up before you've really started.

How long did he try Citalopram for before giving up? I was told by the GP that it might make me worse at the beginning and would take quite a few weeks to kick in. Sure enough, in the first week, I suffered from headaches, insomnia, dry mouth and upset stomach but had positive effects thereafter. However, it's not really going to suit everyone despite the need to be patient with it.

There might well be cultural (macho/working class) reasons why some complementary practices are repellent to him, seen as girly and too new agey, for example. Then again, it fits with the pattern of feeling that it is a lifetime affliction without end and resistance to trying new things.

Also, I found pride and stubbornness got in the way, that I ought to be able to will myself better and that medication was a cop-out for those too weak to cope with upsets. There was also a degree of shame because I did not want to confide in friends and family and tended to hide the loss of my jobs and low moods from them.
    • Starrystarrynight1
    • By Starrystarrynight1 17th Oct 16, 9:23 AM
    • 117 Posts
    • 212 Thanks
    Starrystarrynight1
    Thanks for starting this thread, OP, and for updating it. I imagine it's been very helpful to a lot of fellow sufferers.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I used to be Starrystarrynight on MSE, before a log in technical glitch!
    • mariposa687
    • By mariposa687 17th Oct 16, 11:16 PM
    • 54 Posts
    • 67 Thanks
    mariposa687
    Thanks for this thread, lots of useful links and suggestions.

I too have anxiety and it's particularly bad at the moment. My main thing is that I am getting closer to 30 and I'm single. I really want to have children (I'm a female btw so age is important) and the thought that it might not happen makes my mind race with fear because I have no control over it. I can't make any decisions about what I want to do career-wise as I am overwhelmed. I feel like if someone could re-assure me it would happen or just tell me if it won't then I can get on with my life. Then I'd know what to do. Until then I don't feel I can make decisions.

I know it's not healthy but I haven't found a way of coping with it and I can't seem to. I don't cope well with change at all. I was previously in a relationship for a few years where I thought it would end in marriage and kids and I'm just not coping with the possibility that may never happen for me.

I'm going back to my doctor because they recommended self help on-line and it hasn't done anything for me. Writing things down also doesn't help me because I'll just read it, analyze it and go back to feeling anxious. I'm also not very good at seeing things through as lots of different fears get in the way. I convince myself that it's easier to give up. I hope the doctor has some suggestions because I really don't feel I can recover on my own.
    Last edited by mariposa687; 17-10-2016 at 11:17 PM. Reason: Add paragraph spacing
    • fireblade28
    • By fireblade28 18th Oct 16, 4:34 PM
    • 85 Posts
    • 57 Thanks
    fireblade28
    Thanks for this thread, lots of useful links and suggestions.

I too have anxiety and it's particularly bad at the moment. My main thing is that I am getting closer to 30 and I'm single. I really want to have children (I'm a female btw so age is important) and the thought that it might not happen makes my mind race with fear because I have no control over it. I can't make any decisions about what I want to do career-wise as I am overwhelmed. I feel like if someone could re-assure me it would happen or just tell me if it won't then I can get on with my life. Then I'd know what to do. Until then I don't feel I can make decisions.

I know it's not healthy but I haven't found a way of coping with it and I can't seem to. I don't cope well with change at all. I was previously in a relationship for a few years where I thought it would end in marriage and kids and I'm just not coping with the possibility that may never happen for me.

I'm going back to my doctor because they recommended self help on-line and it hasn't done anything for me. Writing things down also doesn't help me because I'll just read it, analyze it and go back to feeling anxious. I'm also not very good at seeing things through as lots of different fears get in the way. I convince myself that it's easier to give up. I hope the doctor has some suggestions because I really don't feel I can recover on my own.
    Originally posted by mariposa687

Meditation as I said before is really good for this. Headspace app was awesome for me. I actually need to get back into it more.

Nobody can predict the future whether you will ever have children or not. But what you can do is do something about it. Put yourself out there in the world and make an attempt. You have only failed when you don't try. If it still doesn't happen you can at least say you tried your best.

I think you defo need to see a professional as well.
    • mariposa687
    • By mariposa687 18th Oct 16, 6:47 PM
    • 54 Posts
    • 67 Thanks
    mariposa687
    Meditation as I said before is really good for this. Headspace app was awesome for me. I actually need to get back into it more.

Nobody can predict the future whether you will ever have children or not. But what you can do is do something about it. Put yourself out there in the world and make an attempt. You have only failed when you don't try. If it still doesn't happen you can at least say you tried your best.

I think you defo need to see a professional as well.
    Originally posted by fireblade28
    I really like you said about failing when you don't try. I'm going to try and keep that in mind. I'm feeling a bit stronger today so will try and build on that.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

275Posts Today

1,314Users online

Martin's Twitter