Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Lamentation
    • By Lamentation 8th Jun 16, 8:14 PM
    • 25Posts
    • 28Thanks
    Lamentation
    How to cure Anxiety on a low budget
    • 8th Jun 16, 8:14 PM
    How to cure Anxiety on a low budget 8th Jun 16 at 8:14 PM
    I have suffered from anxiety for over a decade. It has impacted my employment to a considerable degree as I struggle to get a job and hold down a job. When I am out of employment, I get miserable so I do actively seek work which gives me a routine and gets me out of the house.

To date, I have tried multiple counsellors and hypnotherapists (both phone apps and in person), undertaken NLP, attended meditation courses (though haven't continued the practice), taken up yoga (though moved away from the studio so don't do it anymore).

I have researched the condition by reading books by experts, looked into mindfulness, explored buddhism, kept a gratitude diary. I try to eat well, keep fit, sleep well and my partner is supportive.

The counselling I have undertaken and other supporting activities give me some temporary relief but the anxiety always returns - can't eat, can't sleep, nausea, upset stomach and so forth.

But I've just lasted 2 days in a new job before panicking that I couldn't do it and resigned.

So what are my other options to permanently cure my anxiety given my low budget? Thanks.
Page 2
    • AnnMollys
    • By AnnMollys 24th Aug 16, 10:32 PM
    • 28 Posts
    • 22 Thanks
    AnnMollys
    Anxiety is not something you cure, everyone has it to some extent, it is something you learn to manage.

What strikes me is that you don't follow through with the things you learn - the techniques from therapy, mindfulness, yoga etc. Think back to things that have worked in the past, how can you implement them into your life now? You don't need a therapist or a studio to do that, they can all be done at home.
    Originally posted by tomtontom
    I haven’t read all the replies, but this one really fits the scene, I believe it’s all about learning to live with it. I believe it’s a thing that comes with us and goes with us; it’s not something you can remove just like emotions. The only advice I could give you is to avoid overthinking because that’s where all problems are created. Also, it’s important that you keep yourself busy whether it’s with the job or any other activity…. Just don’t let yourself time to think instead make yourself so busy that you don’t have time to think about these stuff… Hope it helps.
    • lucia22
    • By lucia22 25th Aug 16, 12:25 AM
    • 119 Posts
    • 1,108 Thanks
    lucia22
    I've had anxiety for years. It many ways it has been life limiting as it's prevented me from achieving my potential due to the stress it causes. But now I try not to think about what could have been and just focus on what I can do now as this is what matters. Admittedly I still sometimes overthink about things but it's nowhere near as bad.

What helped me was sessions of CBT, adding regular exercise into my weekly routine, and my own self-prescribed exposure methods. I try and stick at it and fight through although in certain circumstances that it isn't possible. I've also had to come to terms with it. Over time I have just accepted that I have anxiety and it makes it so much easier to deal with because I am not trying to fundamentally change who I am but I am just learning ways to manage it. I'm much calmer now than I used to be but there will always be an element of anxiety in my personality.

I see anxiety not as an illness as such but something that can happen to a lot of people. Some people aren't very understanding of it but at the same time a lot of people may have experienced it without being aware of it (including the people who dismiss it as a genuine medical condition!).

Hope it all works out for you . I also agree with AnnMolly's comment: keeping yourself busy does help even if you have to force it initially.
    No Buying Unnecessary Toiletries 2016 (started challenge on 27th Dec 2015)
    Toiletries Total UU to end of August - 134
    | September - UU - 9| Makeup Total UU to end of Aug - 4
    • ludhiyaparker
    • By ludhiyaparker 26th Aug 16, 9:50 AM
    • 8 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    ludhiyaparker
    Give a Nice rest to your Brain; ie; Good Night sleep.
    • Lamentation
    • By Lamentation 15th Sep 16, 10:54 PM
    • 25 Posts
    • 28 Thanks
    Lamentation
    Another quick update.

The medication continues to be effective so I'm sleeping and eating well, no nausea, feeling much more confident and relaxed. I will go to the GP soon and get a clearer idea of how long I should be on anxiety medication for and how I can come off them.

I've been meditating nearly every day, a task that used to feel like an endurance event has become an activity that is easier to complete now because my mental stillness and mood is generally much better.

The temporary job has boosted my confidence. In my last couple of jobs, I felt useless and stressed.

This one is much less demanding but I feel as if I am able to use my initiative, work hard with full concentration and that I've impressed the manager. So though its an easier job, I think I am going the extra mile on it quite happily. I find it easier to think and act and I'm not carrying around a sense of dread and fatigue with me. It's nice to be able to work without feeling foggy, nauseous and double checking everything out of fear of making a mistake.

I'm surprised that the weight I previously lost through lack of appetite has stayed off even though I feel that I am eating much better (albeit not snacking to the same degree as in the past). I don't seem to feel as hungry as I did, perhaps due to the tablets or reduction in my misery.
    • Jox
    • By Jox 16th Sep 16, 6:08 PM
    • 1,177 Posts
    • 2,541 Thanks
    Jox
    Good to hear how quickly things have turned around! Hope things get better and better for you, keep us updated.
    • fireblade28
    • By fireblade28 18th Sep 16, 7:00 PM
    • 30 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    fireblade28
    Meditation. Use headspace app for 15mons every morning. I don't even do it consistently any more but the effects of reducing my anxiety have been permanent which I did not expect! I don't get it anywhere near as bad.
    You can't cure it because it has to exisit as humans it keeps us safe you just don't want it to be overactive
    • robbyfine
    • By robbyfine 22nd Sep 16, 8:17 AM
    • 68 Posts
    • 32 Thanks
    robbyfine
    I was suffering from a deep depression and long term anxiety issues. My doc prescribed me Valium . It does work for me! Before taking Valium it was something like I had a million things bouncing around in my head. These pills keep me calm and stress free. But remember, you should consult your doctor before taking any medicine! Self-medicating is dangerous, it can cause serious problems.
    • mickeymouse303
    • By mickeymouse303 22nd Sep 16, 11:23 AM
    • 46 Posts
    • 22 Thanks
    mickeymouse303
    I'm sorry to hear you've been struggling with it for so long, but like everyone says, there's no cure as I'm sure you know! Has there been absolutely nothing useful from all the methods you've tried?
    • nanny beach
    • By nanny beach 23rd Sep 16, 3:50 PM
    • 31 Posts
    • 42 Thanks
    nanny beach
    Hope you can still benefit, OH has severe anxiety and multiple phobas. Folk think anxiety is the same as a panic attack, his can last 2 weeks easily. He always had an excuse for not trying anything, usually cant afford it. He did see a hypnotherapist, which helped to a degree, but he never went back, and ironically, the next sessions would have been free. Our Gp says he isnt allowed to prescribe Diazepam anymore, Citalopram made him ill, and he didnt want to do the drug route, he had many many years on anitdepressants. Have suggested Tia Chi, meditation, NLP CBT, but he is a bloke and from Sarf london. Cannot print what he calls these sorts of therapies. Anone see the documentary BBC1 Dr Chris Van Tuliken getting people off drugs, worth a look.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

118Posts Today

1,422Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • If you know you're bust you must declare it asap. So no firm ever says "yes we plan to go insolvent". So you never? https://t.co/w8aIKOqHzq

• Some people misreading... it's NOT the rumours of insolvency of the Monarchy! Its Monarch airlines (again tho I've no idea of its validity)

• Also re #monarchinsolvency rumours it's important to state Monarch are firmly denying it... https://t.co/N27MENRjY9

• Follow Martin