Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Joking_Joe
    • By Joking_Joe 7th Jun 16, 9:41 PM
    • 13Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Joking_Joe
    0 WOW
    Comfortable flight to New Zealand
    • 7th Jun 16, 9:41 PM
    0 WOW
    Comfortable flight to New Zealand 7th Jun 16 at 9:41 PM
    So I am thinking of going to NZ for 3 weeks in November but don't relish the idea of being couped up on the plane (being 6ft2), I have done plenty of flying before and prefer the window seat/emergency exit if its available (don't think you can reserve exit row seats?).....in your collective experiences which airline do you find to have the best economy class leg-room and inflight service. The budget doesn't really run to business class travel.

Also to break the flight up I thought about stopping off somewhere on the way out and back, just a 24hr stop over, airport > hotel > decent food, stretch legs > hotel airport and on again.
    Any recommendations?
Page 2
    • littlereddevil
    • By littlereddevil 6th Sep 17, 8:10 AM
    • 4,646 Posts
    • 1,933 Thanks
    littlereddevil
    Yes you can book exit seats on many airlines
    travelover
    • WAYT
    • By WAYT 6th Sep 17, 9:26 AM
    • 684 Posts
    • 295 Thanks
    WAYT
    Yes you can book exit seats on many airlines
    Originally posted by littlereddevil
    Only took you nine months to reply....
    • malkie76
    • By malkie76 6th Sep 17, 9:46 AM
    • 5,374 Posts
    • 6,103 Thanks
    malkie76
    Air New Zealand premium economy is excellent. Their Space seats on the LHR LAX AKL route are too notch. 2. 2. 2. Unfortunately they were so good ANZ are taking them out and reverting to standard 2. 4. 2 configuration - more revenue for same space. They are expecting to complete the change by November. But if their service remains the same it will still be excellent.
    Originally posted by headpin
    Very innovative product - shame it's going. The issue was that in the first version (with the same density as standard premium economy) customers complained about the legroom issues (with the angles). As a result they took seats out, increasing the legroom, but lowering the density hence revenue.

Ultimately the seat didn't work as planned, hence it's going.
    Legal team on standby
    • dondo
    • By dondo 6th Sep 17, 2:38 PM
    • 447 Posts
    • 137 Thanks
    dondo
    Hello Dondo,

Just to follow up on this I am now planning the trip to NZ in November. Out through Los Angelis and home via Singapore, literally only taking a 1 night stop each way to break the flight up.

So do I need any kind of visa to step off the plane in Singapore?.......and any hotels you particularly recommend, sort of mid-range, decent bed and food.?

Anyone any suggestions for a good hotel in LA not too far from the airport?......hopefully that does late check-out as the departure is not until 9pm

For Visa I guess just the ESTA
    Originally posted by Joking_Joe
    Hi there

As others have said no visa needed for Singapore.

On the way out we stayed at the Crowne Plaza at the airport- I wouldn't call it mid range price wise- bit more pricey but is a really great hotel. Reason we booked it was that we were travelling with kids (8 and 6 at the time) and we thought the convenience after a long flight of the hotel being right there was worth it (it was!). We landed about 8am and they were able to give us a room by about 9.30am. Obviously meant we weren't in the city centre but there is good transport connections to take you in.

On the way back we stopped at Holiday Inn Singapore Orchard City Centre as that was a bit more central as we were stopping for 2 nights- again probably a bit more than mid range price wise. But being a family of 4 we needed a bigger room.

I've the same user name on trip advisor so you can see my reviews there (along with ones for places in NZ) and there is another thread that I contributed to on MSE where there's more tips on NZ too.
    • knightstyle
    • By knightstyle 6th Sep 17, 3:41 PM
    • 4,346 Posts
    • 1,603 Thanks
    knightstyle
    Just to add that if you don't do a stopover have a look at airside hotels where you can book a shower and even a massage. We did this at Singapore on the way out. We then had a 6 day stopover there on the way back.
    • Joking_Joe
    • By Joking_Joe 8th Sep 17, 10:50 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Joking_Joe
    thanks everyone.

I am planning to do AirNZ and go premium economy, a bit in two minds of doing all in one hit, did it before like that in 2000 and regretted it, mind you it was just economy class then.
    • WAYT
    • By WAYT 9th Sep 17, 3:27 AM
    • 684 Posts
    • 295 Thanks
    WAYT
    thanks everyone.

I am planning to do AirNZ and go premium economy, a bit in two minds of doing all in one hit, did it before like that in 2000 and regretted it, mind you it was just economy class then.

Are you joking? How much is that costing?
    • Joking_Joe
    • By Joking_Joe 12th Sep 17, 8:53 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Joking_Joe
    well, I just looked and its about 2.7k on the AirNZ site....not cheap but then I last had a holiday in 2015 and before that in 2000 (NZ) so I reckon I haven't blown the budget too much :-)

I picked up on Dondo's recommendation for Crown Plaza and reckon both ways stopping off there got to be a good solution, in fact the return flight could be a 6.45am arrival in Sing. and leave again at 23:45 same day....................but still in the planning phase
    • dondo
    • By dondo 12th Sep 17, 9:23 PM
    • 447 Posts
    • 137 Thanks
    dondo
    well, I just looked and its about 2.7k on the AirNZ site....not cheap but then I last had a holiday in 2015 and before that in 2000 (NZ) so I reckon I haven't blown the budget too much :-)

I picked up on Dondo's recommendation for Crown Plaza and reckon both ways stopping off there got to be a good solution, in fact the return flight could be a 6.45am arrival in Sing. and leave again at 23:45 same day.......e.............but still in the planning phase
    In that case you may be better in one of the transit hotels so no need to clear immigration and do one of the free tours from the airport which you don't need to clear immigration for either.

http://www.changiairport.com/en/airport-experience/attractions-and-services/free-singapore-tour.html
    • dawyldthing
    • By dawyldthing 12th Sep 17, 11:03 PM
    • 2,539 Posts
    • 1,707 Thanks
    dawyldthing
    See if you can alter a day or 2 with skyscanner. You can choose just the one airline and it will show you the differences. Plus check different airports - even Dublin. I saved a lot flying to Dublin to go from Dublin to London to Singapore to Sydney last year
    My targets to end 2018:
    1) To get down to 11 stone 7lbs then treat to a safari. At start 17 stone 7 lbs 36.5lbs lost 47.5lbs to go.
    Started SW16st13lbs 11/7/17 - 10 weeks in -28.5lbs
    3/9 to NYE 2.5lbs down / 12.5lbs to go
    2) to find new challenges
    • WAYT
    • By WAYT 13th Sep 17, 12:32 AM
    • 684 Posts
    • 295 Thanks
    WAYT

I picked up on Dondo's recommendation for Crown Plaza and reckon both ways stopping off there got to be a good solution, in fact the return flight could be a 6.45am arrival in Sing. and leave again at 23:45 same day....................but still in the planning phase
    My point being that for the price of NZ PE, you can fly flat bed Business Class.
    • WAYT
    • By WAYT 13th Sep 17, 1:43 AM
    • 684 Posts
    • 295 Thanks
    WAYT
    Gulf Air Business Class(Falcon Gold) is not the best, but you might be able to get some sleep along the way, as the seats are lie flat, though perhaps at an angle.
    MH have fully flat on the A330

https://www.gulfair.com/on-board/falcon-gold-seats
    https://www.malaysiaairlines.com/sg/en/experience/business-class/new_level_of_comfort.html

Plus of course you have the lounges in London, Bangkok and Auckland(barely enough time in Bahrain and KL), better food onboard, priority check-in, Fast Track, extra luggage allowance etc.

Premium Economy offers little in comparison....

Just an example. Other combinations may be possible. Less expensive to overnight in Bangkok. You can spend your savings on an aromatherapy or herbal compress massage.
    • WAYT
    • By WAYT 13th Sep 17, 4:17 AM
    • 684 Posts
    • 295 Thanks
    WAYT
    If you prefer less stopovers, you can look at a Turkish Airlines/Malaysia Airlines combo,

There is another good option, especially if you live in or near London. Posted to PM.
    • silvercar
    • By silvercar 13th Sep 17, 9:28 AM
    • 35,874 Posts
    • 151,070 Thanks
    silvercar
    Worth a read:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1866594-advice-travel-auckland.html
    • richardw
    • By richardw 13th Sep 17, 10:02 AM
    • 18,094 Posts
    • 7,422 Thanks
    richardw
    I'm finding new aircraft types are better for long haul, you seem to feel less tired.

Look at A350 and A380 operated flights and also B787 Dreamliner operated flights in premium economy.

On long haul it's the extra cost per hour flown that's important.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
    • pandora205
    • By pandora205 13th Sep 17, 10:16 AM
    • 2,762 Posts
    • 2,621 Thanks
    pandora205
    I've flown to NZ three times, sadly always economy. The first and third times I flew with Singapore Airlines and the second time with Emirates. Each time I found good deals, using STA travel first time then Skyscanner (and Quidco for cashback). My preference is for a change in Singapore as stopping in Dubai meant an extra touch down (meaning all disembark for an hour for refueling) in Melbourne - not good. They're both good airlines. If you have a break of more than 5 hours in Singapore you can do a city tour, and it's also a great airport to visit. I've not had a formal stop over though first trip we were delayed at Heathrow so had a missed connection, and were put in a hotel for nine hours in Singapore, so saw a bit of the city.
    somewhere between Heaven and Woolworth's
    • littlereddevil
    • By littlereddevil 13th Sep 17, 12:15 PM
    • 4,646 Posts
    • 1,933 Thanks
    littlereddevil
    In that case you may be better in one of the transit hotels so no need to clear immigration and do one of the free tours from the airport which you don't need to clear immigration for either.

http://www.changiairport.com/en/airport-experience/attractions-and-services/free-singapore-tour.html
    Originally posted by dondo

The tour used to only be for Singapore airlines customers, is it for anyone now?
    travelover
    • dondo
    • By dondo 13th Sep 17, 2:20 PM
    • 447 Posts
    • 137 Thanks
    dondo
    The tour used to only be for Singapore airlines customers, is it for anyone now?
    Originally posted by littlereddevil
    Looks like it is open to anyone

"Eligibility Requirements

You are a transit passenger of Changi Airport.
    Your layover period is at least 5.5 hours and less than 24 hours, and your flight schedule fits in with our tour timing requirements (see Tour Timings below)."
    • WAYT
    • By WAYT 13th Sep 17, 2:30 PM
    • 684 Posts
    • 295 Thanks
    WAYT
    It's an option:

or

• fifeken
    • By fifeken 14th Sep 17, 3:33 AM
    • 2,160 Posts
    • 1,113 Thanks
    fifeken
    My preference is for a change in Singapore as stopping in Dubai meant an extra touch down (meaning all disembark for an hour for refueling) in Melbourne - not good.
    Originally posted by pandora205
    Emirates now have a non-stop Dubai to Auckland flight, as well as flights via Melbourne (and Brisbane).
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

149Posts Today

1,093Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin