Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pennylane
    • By Pennylane 7th Jun 16, 8:36 AM
    • 1,995Posts
    • 5,451Thanks
    Pennylane
    WASPI Campaign .... State Pensions
    • 7th Jun 16, 8:36 AM
    WASPI Campaign .... State Pensions 7th Jun 16 at 8:36 AM
    https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/why-waspi-campaigners-right-complain-we-should-all-glad-steve-bee

A good article.
Page 49
    • colsten
    • By colsten 29th Jun 17, 9:30 PM
    • 8,676 Posts
    • 7,319 Thanks
    colsten
    The irony is that the motion hasn't even got anything to do with what the Labour manifesto promised. They certainly hadn't budgeted for the £77-odd billion that WASPI would cost.

There are voices now saying that if Government can find £1bn for Northern Ireland, surely they can find the money for WASPI. Not sure whether I should laugh or cry - I would have thought that if we could find £77 billion, we would give most of it to the NHS, to safe housing, to Police, Doctors and Nurses, and to sick and disabled who had their benefits slashed. The "non-means tested" bit in the motion is an insult to everyone who currently has to get by on means-tested benefits.
    • atush
    • By atush 29th Jun 17, 9:36 PM
    • 16,163 Posts
    • 9,855 Thanks
    atush
    Would you believe it, there is going to be yet another backbencher-initiated debate in Parliament on this. As if the country had no pressing issues to attend to. Such a waste of time and money!

The debate is on July 5th 2.30pm - 4.00pm. The motion is as per http://www.parliament.uk/edm/2017-19/63. From the wording, I think it would be fair to assume that the MP who tabled that motion doesn't actually fully comprehend the issue.
    Originally posted by colsten
    Name and shame
    • p00hsticks
    • By p00hsticks 29th Jun 17, 9:42 PM
    • 5,535 Posts
    • 5,077 Thanks
    p00hsticks
    Name and shame
    Originally posted by atush
    just click on the link to see the sponsors
    http://www.parliament.uk/edm/2017-19/63

You can also see if your MP is supporting the motion.
    Unfortunately mine is, and I shall be writing to her (again) on the topic
    Last edited by p00hsticks; 29-06-2017 at 9:44 PM.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 30th Jun 17, 7:31 AM
    • 17,381 Posts
    • 44,271 Thanks
    Pollycat
    just click on the link to see the sponsors
    http://www.parliament.uk/edm/2017-19/63

You can also see if your MP is supporting the motion.
    Unfortunately mine is, and I shall be writing to her (again) on the topic
    Originally posted by p00hsticks
    THanks for that.

My (new) MP isn't sponsoring the motion.
    I notice Dennis Skinner is though.
    • Silvertabby
    • By Silvertabby 30th Jun 17, 1:17 PM
    • 1,398 Posts
    • 1,636 Thanks
    Silvertabby
    When I looked at the list yesterday it showed 37 MPs 'in support'. It's now showing 77, mostly Labour.
    • jem16
    • By jem16 30th Jun 17, 2:38 PM
    • 18,530 Posts
    • 11,322 Thanks
    jem16
    The motion is as per http://www.parliament.uk/edm/2017-19/63. From the wording, I think it would be fair to assume that the MP who tabled that motion doesn't actually fully comprehend the issue.
    Originally posted by colsten
    Apparently it has been confirmed that the person who wrote the wording for the EDM was not the MP himself but Jane Cowley, one of the WASPI Ltd directors who is a retired Headteacher. Very, very poor wording as she has said that all women affected by the 1995 and 2011 Acts should be given transitional arrangements. As that is not limited to just 50s women this EDM wants even more than the WASPI Ltd ask. Might well account for the very low number of signatories so far.

This is the same Jane Cowley who wrote a letter to the new Secretary of State claiming that WASPI Ltd represented 3.5m 1950s women. Well this is one 1950s woman she does not represent and has no right to make such a claim.
    Last edited by jem16; 01-07-2017 at 9:45 AM.
    • Silvertabby
    • By Silvertabby 30th Jun 17, 3:15 PM
    • 1,398 Posts
    • 1,636 Thanks
    Silvertabby
    Apparently it has been confirmed that the person who wrote the wording for the EDM was not the MP himself but Jane Cowley, one of the WASPI Ltd directors who is a retired Headteacher. Very, very poor wording as she has said that all women affected by the 1995 and 2011 Acts should be given transitional arrangements. As that is not limited to just 50s women this EDM wants even more than the WASPI Ltd ask. Might well account for the very low number of signatories so far.

This is the same Jane Cowley who wrote a letter to the new Secretary of State claiming that WASPI Ltd represented 3.5m 1950s women. Well this isn't one 1950s woman she does not represent and has no right to make such a claim. Posted by jem16
    And another one here.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 30th Jun 17, 3:23 PM
    • 17,381 Posts
    • 44,271 Thanks
    Pollycat
    + 1 here.
    • colsten
    • By colsten 1st Jul 17, 10:18 AM
    • 8,676 Posts
    • 7,319 Thanks
    colsten
    Apparently it has been confirmed that the person who wrote the wording for the EDM was not the MP himself but Jane Cowley, one of the WASPI Ltd directors who is a retired Headteacher.
    Originally posted by jem16
    Wow. I mean WOW. This could explain why the wording of the motion is so poor.

This is the same Jane Cowley who wrote a letter to the new Secretary of State claiming that WASPI Ltd represented 3.5m 1950s women. Well this is one 1950s woman she does not represent and has no right to make such a claim.
    And another one. None of the people my age I know in real life are WASPI supporters, so Jane Cowley is quite liberal with the actual. Even if it were true, it would be no reason to subject ~30 million working people to raising the money these women want for themselves.
    • LHW99
    • By LHW99 2nd Jul 17, 11:14 AM
    • 830 Posts
    • 654 Thanks
    LHW99
    +1 here too
    • atush
    • By atush 2nd Jul 17, 12:12 PM
    • 16,163 Posts
    • 9,855 Thanks
    atush
    +1 and i'll add another for my OH who is a man affected by the changes
    • Mortgagefreeman
    • By Mortgagefreeman 2nd Jul 17, 9:41 PM
    • 400 Posts
    • 899 Thanks
    Mortgagefreeman

Jane Cowley dosn't sound very bright. You'd have thought an ex Headteacher would have had a little more common sense. I can't even mark her sorry attempt at 1/10. I'm afraid it's back to School for you, my dear.

Like the rest of the GRASPI's, the woman's deluded.
    Remoaners. Embrace your inner Brexit and become a 're-leaver'
    • Pennylane
    • By Pennylane 5th Jul 17, 4:37 PM
    • 1,995 Posts
    • 5,451 Thanks
    Pennylane
    http://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/theresa-may-faces-fresh-backbench-revolt-on-fairer-pensions-deal-for-women-a3580336.html

Today's news 👍🏼
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 5th Jul 17, 5:10 PM
    • 17,381 Posts
    • 44,271 Thanks
    Pollycat
    From your link:
    He said: “There are 37 MPs on the Government benches who have supported the WASPI campaign — enough to provide a majority in the House of those who want to see action taken to alleviate the difficulty faced by the most vulnerable men and women.
    Interesting.

Where do the people in the category in red and underlined fall into WASPI's demands?

I can't see the First-Class travelling, champagne-swilling WASPI supporters falling into the 'vulnerable' category.
    Can you, Pennylane?
    • Silvertabby
    • By Silvertabby 5th Jul 17, 6:21 PM
    • 1,398 Posts
    • 1,636 Thanks
    Silvertabby
    “ He said: “There are 37 MPs on the Government benches who have supported the WASPI campaign — enough to provide a majority in the House of those who want to see action taken to alleviate the difficulty faced by the most vulnerable men and women.
    Interesting.

Where do the people in the category in red and underlined fall into WASPI's demands?

I can't see the First-Class travelling, champagne-swilling WASPI supporters falling into the 'vulnerable' category.
    Can you, Pennylane? Posted by Pollycat
    Exactly. There is already provision for the most vulnerable men and women - not necessarily State pension age - who are unable to provide for themselves.
    Last edited by Silvertabby; 06-07-2017 at 7:41 PM.
    • Mortgagefreeman
    • By Mortgagefreeman 6th Jul 17, 4:07 PM
    • 400 Posts
    • 899 Thanks
    Mortgagefreeman

Today's news 👍🏼
    Originally posted by Pennylane
    Yesterday's news
    Remoaners. Embrace your inner Brexit and become a 're-leaver'
  • jamesd
    Here's a link to the Hansard copy of the debate on State Pension Age for Women on 5 July 2017.

Besides the usual arguments in favour of gender discrimination there was a potentially useful offer by the The Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for Work and Pensions (Guy Opperman) to help those in financial difficulty:

1. "If individual Members of Parliament have specific cases where they feel their individual constituents are affected by state pension age changes and find themselves in financial hardship, whether they are people who have to reduce their hours because of sickness, disability or caring responsibility, I and the London DWP team will look into those individual cases. As Members pass them on to us, we will do what we can to provide assistance, whether that is understanding of the availability of carer’s allowance, housing benefit, tax credits, income support, employment and support allowance or other benefits."

2. "I accept that we must do all we can to assist everyone affected into retraining and employment, and to provide support if that is not possible. The commitment to provide support is clear, unequivocal and ongoing."

If anyone is in financial hardship I suggest that they consider contacting their MP to accept the offer of assistance from Guy Opperman and the DWP team.
    Last edited by jamesd; 06-07-2017 at 9:13 PM.
    • colsten
    • By colsten 7th Jul 17, 8:24 AM
    • 8,676 Posts
    • 7,319 Thanks
    colsten
    If anyone is in financial hardship I suggest that they consider contacting their MP to accept the offer of assistance from Guy Opperman and the DWP team.
    Originally posted by jamesd
    The vast majority of the WASPI women wouldn't benefit from that. Consequently they will not be talking about it. If their campaign helps the vulnerable, that would be purely coincidental.
    • Malthusian
    • By Malthusian 7th Jul 17, 10:30 AM
    • 2,619 Posts
    • 3,738 Thanks
    Malthusian
    Glossing over Opperman's stupid decision to mention apprenticeships, the Government response remains clear; if you are of working age, either you get a job, or if you are genuinely unable to get a job, you claim one or more of the numerous welfare provisions that already exist for such situations.

This is of course no help to WASPI who represent people who can get a job but don't want to.
  • jamesd
    Right, but there really are people in financial hardship who could benefit from the help in getting what is available to them.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

281Posts Today

4,146Users online

Martin's Twitter