Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • parsniphead
    • By parsniphead 5th Jun 16, 4:45 PM
    • 2,244Posts
    • 14,282Thanks
    parsniphead
    The end of procrastination and disorganisation.......
    • 5th Jun 16, 4:45 PM
    The end of procrastination and disorganisation....... 5th Jun 16 at 4:45 PM
    .............and the above are the reasons for virtually all of my problems in the past and present, be it debt, weight, careers and the state of the house.

I have plans, big plans which I don't have time to pop on here right now, but I intend to use this diary to sort me out once and for all.

It's going to be fun.....a real step into the unknown.

I can't wait.
    Nothing gets better until you get better.
Page 38
    • parsniphead
    • By parsniphead 29th Sep 17, 9:50 PM
    • 2,244 Posts
    • 14,282 Thanks
    parsniphead
    Well thank you crystal and DIA, that very nice.

To be honest I feel a bit of an amateur and get so much inspiration from everyone else. That's probably why I spend so much time on everyone else's diary. Perhaps if I didnt I would get a bit further on in my journey. I reakon I could make a full time job out of diary reading because I'm VERY nosey.
    • in need of direction
    • By in need of direction 29th Sep 17, 10:39 PM
    • 4,737 Posts
    • 26,829 Thanks
    in need of direction
    You do realise that you're nearly a third of the way towards your target.
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83 today £79,389.12, target £75,000 by 31/12/17 Offset fund today £4,055.43 target £5,500 by 31/12/17
    Emergency fund £5k/5.5k & £130/200 cash.
    Current weight loss 7/32 by 28 feb 2018
    determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes.
    Progress not perfection.
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 30th Sep 17, 12:02 AM
    • 945 Posts
    • 4,212 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    Our Council charges for green bins now, so we compost as much as possible, then decent sized wood is saved for the fire and twiggy stuff goes to the tip... I'm assuming your green bin is not garden waste as you're clearing in the house?
    • parsniphead
    • By parsniphead 30th Sep 17, 8:13 AM
    • 2,244 Posts
    • 14,282 Thanks
    parsniphead
    You do realise that you're nearly a third of the way towards your target.
    Originally posted by in need of direction
    No I didn't actually. Thank you INOD. I have today's pay me ts to add to the figure too.
    • parsniphead
    • By parsniphead 30th Sep 17, 8:24 AM
    • 2,244 Posts
    • 14,282 Thanks
    parsniphead
    Our Council charges for green bins now, so we compost as much as possible, then decent sized wood is saved for the fire and twiggy stuff goes to the tip... I'm assuming your green bin is not garden waste as you're clearing in the house?
    Originally posted by Cherryfudge
    Our green bin is part of the package and is for garden waste. We have a black bin for general waste, a small black bin for glass, a blue bag for paper/ card and a green bag for tins and plastic.

I compost as much as possible but loads of weeds and bits of trees cut down go in the green one.

The black wheelie bin usually only gets one bin bag a week as I do recycle lotscand try not to buy stuff with packaging. I could do better though. When I lived alone after recycling I used to put out one half full bin bag a month.

The black bag tends to now be used for my house clearance stuff which cannot be donated or recycled. I shall be glad when the process ends.
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 30th Sep 17, 10:33 AM
    • 945 Posts
    • 4,212 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    Slightly different system from ours but similar. We compost and recycle a lot so our black bin is generally not full but if I were motoring ahead with the decluttering as you are, doubtless there would be more there. I do hate sending stuff to landfill, though. Mind you I hate getting down to ebaying as well.

If you know anyone with an open fire or woodburner, they may take chunkier bits of wood off you.

It's raining again here today so the garden jobs may not get done.
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 30th Sep 17, 5:13 PM
    • 2,203 Posts
    • 10,553 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    It seems to be raining everywhere today! You're making great progress on the money front parsniphead.
    My Diary http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5716867
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 DEBT FREE 31 October 2017
    NEW GOALS - Build an Emergency Fund & Loss of Income Fund
    Emergency Fund 1 = £818/Emergency Fund 2 = £192.63
    • parsniphead
    • By parsniphead 30th Sep 17, 8:35 PM
    • 2,244 Posts
    • 14,282 Thanks
    parsniphead
    Slightly different system from ours but similar. We compost and recycle a lot so our black bin is generally not full but if I were motoring ahead with the decluttering as you are, doubtless there would be more there. I do hate sending stuff to landfill, though. Mind you I hate getting down to ebaying as well.

If you know anyone with an open fire or woodburner, they may take chunkier bits of wood off you.

It's raining again here today so the garden jobs may not get done.
    Originally posted by Cherryfudge
    Yes it's raining here to. We were going to a local scarecrow festival but with the rain, DS being a total g1t and the extortionate entrance fee this year, we abandoned the idea.

It seems to be raining everywhere today! You're making great progress on the money front parsniphead.
    Originally posted by HairyHandofDartmoor
    I'm trying HairyHandofDartmoor (I love that name). I even paid across the bit of petrol budget not used. I don't think I have ever been so focussed on such a number of areas at once.

Today has been odd. My house seems to have turned into a laundry. I'm struggling with washing as D'S has had a few bedwetting moments this week. Never mind, I'm sure it's just a blip, but I may vanish under washing. Luckily mum has told me to take some down and she will dry it. Well unless it stops raining then on the line it goes.

A bit more stuff has been sorted, not masses, but its getting me where I want to be. I would like to get a new basin before the holiday as I could then sort the bathroom and it would be off the very long list.

I have also had some me time today, reading. I'm reading Timeless simplicity by John Lane and re-reading Voluntary Simplicity by Duane Elgin. I love those books and they really focus on how I would like to live my life. I do to a certain degree but more care is needed to work towards more of it. They have also focussed on how little stuff is needed. Little eco warrior me just needs to stop trying to rescue anything which others are throwing out. I cannot save the world single handed.

I have no set plans for tomorrow except getting ready for the week ahead. Oh and of course my daily bag or two........or three.........or four..........

Have a good night.
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 30th Sep 17, 11:29 PM
    • 2,203 Posts
    • 10,553 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    I like your name too parsniphead it makes me smile .

I haven't read those two books you mentioned but they sound interesting. I enjoyed reading The Simple Living Guide by Janet Luhrs.
    • missymoo81
    • By missymoo81 1st Oct 17, 6:19 AM
    • 5,748 Posts
    • 19,858 Thanks
    missymoo81
    Hey parsnip, just caught up! You're doing so well and you're so focused. Your goals are similar to mine! I love the simple living, the books you've mentioned sound good. I too am drowning in washing, this time of year is rubbish for trying to get things dry! I hope you have a nice relaxing day.
    • parsniphead
    • By parsniphead 1st Oct 17, 8:23 AM
    • 2,244 Posts
    • 14,282 Thanks
    parsniphead
    I like your name too parsniphead it makes me smile .

I haven't read those two books you mentioned but they sound interesting. I enjoyed reading The Simple Living Guide by Janet Luhrs.
    Originally posted by HairyHandofDartmoor
    Oh I've not read that one. Another for the list.

Hey parsnip, just caught up! You're doing so well and you're so focused. Your goals are similar to mine! I love the simple living, the books you've mentioned sound good. I too am drowning in washing, this time of year is rubbish for trying to get things dry! I hope you have a nice relaxing day.
    Originally posted by missymoo81
    I used to live so much more simply. I don't understand how it went so wrong. The debt should have pushed to live more simply but debt messes with your mind.

My washing pile got bigger again last night. If you never hear from me again I have been lost under a washing avalanche.

Today I'm carrying on with washing and decluttering. The weather is appalling so not much else can be done. I'm also going to try and take down the wooden baton in dining room to continue with that job. When I know the bay roof is no longer leaking....no sign of it yet I will have to fix the ceiling.

Right ho, I must get on. Have a good day.
    • in need of direction
    • By in need of direction 1st Oct 17, 9:48 AM
    • 4,737 Posts
    • 26,829 Thanks
    in need of direction
    There just seems to be a general air of dampness in my house due to the not quite dry laundry everywhere. The heat is going on later just for an hour or so to get it all sorted.
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83 today £79,389.12, target £75,000 by 31/12/17 Offset fund today £4,055.43 target £5,500 by 31/12/17
    Emergency fund £5k/5.5k & £130/200 cash.
    Current weight loss 7/32 by 28 feb 2018
    determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes.
    Progress not perfection.
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 1st Oct 17, 9:55 AM
    • 2,203 Posts
    • 10,553 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    I hear you about the washing! . My house is full of half dry laundry today so if I do any more washing I'll have to tumble it which I hate doing . I need more clothes horses, I've only got two!

What I don't understand is how can five people wear sooo many socks?
    • missymoo81
    • By missymoo81 1st Oct 17, 10:00 AM
    • 5,748 Posts
    • 19,858 Thanks
    missymoo81
    Loving the washing convo! Honestly I have mountains and it never seems to be dry even after 24 hours!!!! It's funny as I've been talking about it on my diary and the amount of people that have the same issues! Washing is the bane of my life, and HairyHand I hear you on the socks!!!!! We must go through a good 6 pairs a day and we're only a family of 4!
    • parsniphead
    • By parsniphead 1st Oct 17, 10:26 AM
    • 2,244 Posts
    • 14,282 Thanks
    parsniphead
    I tell you something if my child doesn't stop peeing the bed he will get an elastic band around his winkle. That's just a joke by the way.

My heating has been on for two hours now. All radiators are full and I'm playing washing Tetris. Oh for a tumble dryer.

Off to mum's with a wet duvet now.
    • missymoo81
    • By missymoo81 1st Oct 17, 10:42 AM
    • 5,748 Posts
    • 19,858 Thanks
    missymoo81
    Oh Hun!!! Poor you! That's rubbish!!! We had to stop all after dinner drinks as May was sleeping in pull ups a lot longer than Roo. It's a nightmare to dry everything, I'm struggling with the bedding myself today! The amount of people that have this issue, it's crazy!!!! Oh for a tumble dryer, I absolutely feel your pain! It can really get frustrating, hugs x
    • Eager_Elephant
    • By Eager_Elephant 1st Oct 17, 12:48 PM
    • 4,116 Posts
    • 22,839 Thanks
    Eager_Elephant
    I had a lazy night last night and read a book. I have always had this dream of a little croft in the hebredies. It will never happen but one can dream. Anyway the book was called An Island on the Edge by Anne Cholawo. It was a fascinating insight into a young woman's relocation to Soay and the difficulties of living on a small Scottish island. Although I may live in a town in the Midlands it has given me many ideas on how to live more sustainably and cut costs. It did highlight what we actually need to survive and what is really an added luxury. It's going to shake up my life a little.

It's so given me a little more confidence to try some more of my own repairs too.
    Originally posted by parsniphead
    Ordered this book from the library and went and collected it yesterday - looking forward to sitting down one night this week to start it.

Might have to reserve the 2 books you mentioned yesterday as well
    Ninja Saving Turtle No. 15 for November
    NSD - 1/15
    (up to 01/11/17)
    My Diary is here - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2175629 (Eager Elephants Effective Everyday Excursion)
    • Eager_Elephant
    • By Eager_Elephant 1st Oct 17, 12:55 PM
    • 4,116 Posts
    • 22,839 Thanks
    Eager_Elephant
    I tell you something if my child doesn't stop peeing the bed he will get an elastic band around his winkle. That's just a joke by the way.

My heating has been on for two hours now. All radiators are full and I'm playing washing Tetris. Oh for a tumble dryer.

Off to mum's with a wet duvet now.
    Originally posted by parsniphead
    Do you have a sleeping bag that he could use instead of a duvet?
    We have 2 sleeping bags in this house which dry really quickly, they come out of the washing machine practically dry so just need a few hours on the airer (whereas I find duvets need days and days)

They have been a god send since we rescued some kittens and they kept weeing on duvets to swapped so sleeping bags on the beds as a temporary measure until they are 100% litter trained.

No idea about how to stop him wetting the bed though, my only thoughts would be that there might be something worrying him or is he scared of the dark and wont use the toilet on his own??

My DD is now 14 and only started in the last year going to the loo on her own in the middle of the night although our loo is downstairs right near the back door and she has a fear of burglars.
    Ninja Saving Turtle No. 15 for November
    NSD - 1/15
    (up to 01/11/17)
    My Diary is here - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2175629 (Eager Elephants Effective Everyday Excursion)
    • parsniphead
    • By parsniphead 4th Oct 17, 6:55 AM
    • 2,244 Posts
    • 14,282 Thanks
    parsniphead
    Goodness, I seem to have missed a couple of days.

Thanks for the comments missymoo and eager elephant. DS was quite late being dry at night so I'm expecting a few wet nights. They are getting less and less so I'm not to worried. To be honest he is a very deep sleeper so I think his needing to wee isn't waking him.

Thankfully the roof is holding up as yesterday turned into a very spend day. DH had spent the whole night talking in his sleep (he does this a lot) going on about being trapped on barbed wire. When he woke up there was a mattress spring sticking in him. Thankfully I had turned the mattress two weeks ago. or it would have been me. Anyway cue new longer for mattress and some new pillows. I had a better nights sleep which would have been great if DS's niece had not texted me at 11.30pm.

Today will be spent food shopping then house stuff. I need to strip fabric from mattress and bag up then put the springs out for the tat man. The I think I'm going to have my day of small jobs/repairs, and see what can be achieved. I will need some wallpaper paste when out.

Anyway time to get on. Have a good day.
    • missymoo81
    • By missymoo81 4th Oct 17, 7:12 AM
    • 5,748 Posts
    • 19,858 Thanks
    missymoo81
    Hey parsnip I hope you have s good day it sounds like a busy one! I shouldn't laugh about the barbed wire/Spring but it was a little funny!

I've got plenty to do today too! But will keep popping back for inspiration.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,285Posts Today

7,678Users online

Martin's Twitter