Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • parsniphead
    • By parsniphead 5th Jun 16, 4:45 PM
    • 2,138Posts
    • 13,514Thanks
    parsniphead
    The end of procrastination and disorganisation.......
    • 5th Jun 16, 4:45 PM
    The end of procrastination and disorganisation....... 5th Jun 16 at 4:45 PM
    .............and the above are the reasons for virtually all of my problems in the past and present, be it debt, weight, careers and the state of the house.

I have plans, big plans which I don't have time to pop on here right now, but I intend to use this diary to sort me out once and for all.

It's going to be fun.....a real step into the unknown.

I can't wait.
    My August to Christmas challenge:.
    Pay off £2500 debt - £206/2500 8.24%
    Completely declutter the house by Christmas Day...all of it.

GAZELLE INTENSE AND GAINING TRACTION
Page 35
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 14th Sep 17, 4:17 PM
    • 312 Posts
    • 1,353 Thanks
    redofromstart
    I have to leave even numbers of thinigs so that the boys don't argue. If I eat one to many, I have to have another to balance it out. Then I have to eat the last two so they don't realise that I had them in the first place.
    • parsniphead
    • By parsniphead 16th Sep 17, 11:42 PM
    • 2,138 Posts
    • 13,514 Thanks
    parsniphead
    Thankfully I don't particularly like crisps Abba.

Redo, I've heard some excuses. That's very naughty but enjoyable.

I'm not buying any more donuts for a long time.

It's been a funny old day today. It's almost like my life has shifted back 14 years. I've always been as my husband will say, a squirrel tickler. I used to live a particular type of life with interests in environmental/green issues but it seems everything was put on hold when then depth of the debt issue hit home. Life since, apart from finding a husband and child, has almost been on hold. Actually no, it has been completely on hold. All interests I had were put to one side to cut life to the absolute minimum.

Today I realised we can only be who we need to be. I have decided that when I finally have the tree down ( I'm just waiting for the quote after the tree surgeon came today), that my longed for chicken will finally be installed.

I'm already rearranging all of my veg growing area so it's more productive next year and planning new crops.

One thing I need to do is not fall into the trap of taking in everything I see being thrown out, because I can't stand waste, and end up with a totally cluttered house again.

I do think the Spezia skincare will have to wait for a while though.

Oh and finally I have a new hobby. I have started to learn Nal Binding, which is a cross between crochet and knitting I guess. Fingers crossed I will get good enough to produce some nice socks for gifts at christmas.

I hope you are all ok and having a good weekend. Time to head of to bed now.

• redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 17th Sep 17, 9:17 AM
    • 312 Posts
    • 1,353 Thanks
    redofromstart
    Chickens! We used to have them but stopped when a fox took all of the third batch one afternoon. Have the biggest (chicken wire) run you can afford, so you don't feel guilty and let them out into the garden where they promptly destroy every emerging crop.
    • in need of direction
    • By in need of direction 17th Sep 17, 10:05 AM
    • 4,565 Posts
    • 25,583 Thanks
    in need of direction
    Birds terrify me.
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83 today £81,750.18, target £75,000 by 31/12/17 Offset fund today £3,975.43 target £5,500 by 31/12/17
    Emergency fund £5.5k & £200 cash.
    Current weight loss 1/34 by 28 feb 2018
    determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes.
    Progress not perfection.
    • parsniphead
    • By parsniphead 17th Sep 17, 10:16 AM
    • 2,138 Posts
    • 13,514 Thanks
    parsniphead
    Chickens! We used to have them but stopped when a fox took all of the third batch one afternoon. Have the biggest (chicken wire) run you can afford, so you don't feel guilty and let them out into the garden where they promptly destroy every emerging crop.
    Originally posted by redofromstart
    Yes. I have planned a very secure coop. I will have a nice big space for the run once the tree is gone. I used to work daily on a farm and my workshop was right by the chickens run, not that they were ever in. They used to coming mooching I for a look around. I miss them.

Birds terrify me.
    Originally posted by in need of direction
    They can be scary, especially when they flap. I understand. I'm not keen on very small dogs. It probably comes from being snapped at by a Jack Russell. I'm alright with big dogs.

I have had a productive morning. I have managed to rescue some carrots which were on the turn. They are now prepped and in the freezer. There will be absolutely no more waste in this house.

This afternoon I'm going to try and rescue my second compost bin which got buried under a pile of conifer cuttings last year. Once out I can start using it while the other is completing the composting process. I also need to finish replacing the panels in the greenhouse door, then put down some plastic and some wood clippings. Autumn is such a lovely time of year.

Hopefully the rain will keep off.

Have a good day all.

• Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 17th Sep 17, 10:25 AM
    • 676 Posts
    • 2,074 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    I still haven't got my chickens - wondering about waiting till spring now. What breed are you looking for or will they be rescues?

I currently have carrots and celery in a jug of water in the kitchen - revives them and makes them last a lot longer (freezer is always too full ).

Happy gardening!
    • parsniphead
    • By parsniphead 18th Sep 17, 5:35 AM
    • 2,138 Posts
    • 13,514 Thanks
    parsniphead
    In such a bad mood. Very poor nights sleep again. My fitness tracker really highlights how poorly I sleep. I need to find a way to sort this.

Work again. Another day of pointlessness and frustration. Grrrr. I really need to find another way in life. Damn debt.

Back later, hopefulyl in a more constructive mood.

• lcc86
    • By lcc86 18th Sep 17, 2:29 PM
    • 864 Posts
    • 2,302 Thanks
    lcc86
    Hi parsniphead,

I used to have a sleep tracker app when I had sleep problems and I have to admit it made things worse for me as I'd stress over how little sleep I had. I don't know if any of this would help you but I got rid of all clocks from the bedroom, stopped using the app and stopped checking the time on my phone when I woke up. I also started meditating at bed time and found I'd fall asleep (not that that's the point of meditation but it helped!).
    1/12/14 total £9,140 DFD 30/01/17
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5124473 - my original DFD

25/08/17 new total £802 back in debt but determined clear it by February 2018! 16/09/17 - £546 2017 365 day challenge £457 saved for emergency fund
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 18th Sep 17, 6:53 PM
    • 1,868 Posts
    • 8,489 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    I hope your mood picked up as the day progressed? I too would be grumpy if I had not slept properly!
    JANUARY 2016/SECURED DEBT=24,822/September 2017=6,448
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • parsniphead
    • By parsniphead 19th Sep 17, 5:25 AM
    • 2,138 Posts
    • 13,514 Thanks
    parsniphead
    Thank you both. Sleep has been an on going issue since I was about 14. I would love to find a way to sort it once and for all.

I have woken feeling very edgy again this morning. A bit wobbly and nervous but I don't know why. I do think my body is really starting to tell me I need to get my life sorted out. We're not here long and really should try to enjoy it. One thing I do know is that I cannot continue in my job much longer. Spending all day with SEN and autism and then coming home to autism is way too much. Well for me anyway. I'm using up all my patience and energy at work, then my poor DS gets the scraps left over and the lack of patience. He needs it all as he is the most important person to me. I either need a move to mainstream or a completely new job.

Oh well I must get on. I finish at 2.20 today the a day off tomorrow. I'm going to enjoy every second off and make it as productive as possible.

Have a good day all.

• in need of direction
    • By in need of direction 19th Sep 17, 9:08 AM
    • 4,565 Posts
    • 25,583 Thanks
    in need of direction
    I hate waking up antsy. It sends the rest of my day out of kilter. Hope that today goes well for you. Take care.
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83 today £81,750.18, target £75,000 by 31/12/17 Offset fund today £3,975.43 target £5,500 by 31/12/17
    Emergency fund £5.5k & £200 cash.
    Current weight loss 1/34 by 28 feb 2018
    determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes.
    Progress not perfection.
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 19th Sep 17, 10:19 AM
    • 676 Posts
    • 2,074 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    Lots of sympathy from me. I seem to be burning the candle at both ends right now and work is constantly 'putting out fires'. I was exhausted yesterday but slept pretty well last night and it makes such a difference - as does a sunny day.

I came across an article the other day that advocates wearing socks to help you sleep! I'm trying it and I think it has an effect . Might be worth a try, though not if hot feet keep you awake. http://www.msn.com/en-gb/health/mindandbody/if-you-don%e2%80%99t-sleep-with-socks-on-here%e2%80%99s-why-you-should-start-tonight/ar-AArXjlK?ocid=sf

Keep your eyes open because other jobs sometimes turn up that turn out to be the perfect match for your character. I had to wait a while till I saw the advert for my current job, then I went for it with everything I had. I know it's currently a struggle but I'm not even looking elsewhere because when the current problems ease out of the system and the pressure is off, it will again be the best job in the world (for me). Talking of which... we need relief staff and I think you have our skill set.
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 19th Sep 17, 6:13 PM
    • 1,868 Posts
    • 8,489 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    The sun came out this afternoon where I am. I hope the sun came out for you too. I usually find after a few edgy days I sleep well and my mood improves. I hope it is that way for you too
    JANUARY 2016/SECURED DEBT=24,822/September 2017=6,448
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • parsniphead
    • By parsniphead 19th Sep 17, 7:10 PM
    • 2,138 Posts
    • 13,514 Thanks
    parsniphead
    Thank you all. You're such sweeties.

My mood got better until I had the student from hell. My goodness, I have never lost my temper at work before but today I nearly lost it. Thank goodness I'm off tomorrow.

Tonight I have spent an hour in the garden. I may pop out for a minute or two more. It really makes me feel calmer.

I hope you have all had great days.

• parsniphead
    • By parsniphead 20th Sep 17, 6:45 AM
    • 2,138 Posts
    • 13,514 Thanks
    parsniphead
    What a difference a better nights sleep makes. It may be a coincidence but the time in the garden last night worked wonders. I slept like a log.

I still woke up feeling jittery which is daft but after a bit of MSE reading the old resolve came back. You know debt free, organised, fitter, doing work i love, decluttering........ I could go on and on. One issue i have is becomming completely focusseď on one thing and neglecting the rest, some of which should be automatic.

Today I will get all jobs done by 11am then spend the remainder of the day either In the garden, sewing or house stuff. Or perhaps all three. Time for some me time.

Have a fantastic day all.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

626Posts Today

5,929Users online

Martin's Twitter