Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • parsniphead
    • By parsniphead 5th Jun 16, 4:45 PM
    • 2,146Posts
    • 13,548Thanks
    parsniphead
    The end of procrastination and disorganisation.......
    • 5th Jun 16, 4:45 PM
    The end of procrastination and disorganisation....... 5th Jun 16 at 4:45 PM
    .............and the above are the reasons for virtually all of my problems in the past and present, be it debt, weight, careers and the state of the house.

I have plans, big plans which I don't have time to pop on here right now, but I intend to use this diary to sort me out once and for all.

It's going to be fun.....a real step into the unknown.

I can't wait.
    My August to Christmas challenge:.
    Pay off £2500 debt - £206/2500 8.24%
    Completely declutter the house by Christmas day...all of it.

Nothing should be wasted on the self-sufficient holding. The dustman should never have to call. John Seymour
Page 33
    • parsniphead
    • By parsniphead 28th Aug 17, 7:32 AM
    • 2,146 Posts
    • 13,548 Thanks
    parsniphead
    I think people are right about investing in the house. When we moved here, (1990-something) we had no money - just enough to struggle by, and it really was a struggle. It's an older house and DH applied draught excluder to doors and windows to help keep the bills down. Over the years we've been able to do some major things: first one part of the house then the other got double glazing - big help! The bathroom was modernised on the strength of an insurance claim. Various areas have been re-plastered. Failing storage heaters are replaced with modern heating (though I miss snuggling up to my storage heaters!) The electrics have been completely replaced so at last I can be fairly sure it's safe. Gas has been installed. It's taken years and years, and we still battle the condensation, but it's easier to live here now.

You will know what you want to target and what would help you most. I'd recommend looking into it: a warmer house makes life so much easier!
    Originally posted by Cherryfudge
    Thank you cherry. As I said in my previous post I did some things then run out of money and along came debt. I think fifteen years of sitting here thinking oh well, I can't do it is enough and I need to start pulling my finger out to get stuff done. You house does seem to have the same list as mine though.

Good luck with decluttering. There are a couple of good thread over on old style but I tend to just potter away on my own.

Nothing should be wasted on the self-sufficient holding. The dustman should never have to call. John Seymour
    • parsniphead
    • By parsniphead 28th Aug 17, 7:49 AM
    • 2,146 Posts
    • 13,548 Thanks
    parsniphead
    What an absolutely lovely morning. The sun is shining and the birds are tweeting away.

I have a few things to do today. I need to finish DHs two shirts and wrap them for tomorrow, It's his big 50th. Then I want to do some decluttering as I did none yesterday.

It's silly really as some of my rooms only need a little work before they are finished, well as finished as they can be. The sitting room just needs the fire surround painted (one day I will have a wood burner or a new fire at least), the paintwork freshened up and the curtains rehung then it's all neat and tidy. It could be finished off in a day really. The hall just needs the paintwork finishing then it's done too. The bedroom needs a quick tidy and the ceiling painted (DH's job, I hate doing that) then that's done. A bit of effort for a few days would make a massive difference.

The front room, sewing/dining room needs a lot of work but I could do lots of it myself. I think it may be my after christmas/winter to spring project, possibly.

The bathroom needs a new basin unit as mine is cracked. A bit of an outlay but I could plumb it in then the bathroom would be ok ish.

DS's room does need a bit of paper restock to his ceiling, it would take minutes, then a massive tidy and clear out would finish it.

Can you see the thread here. So many small, quick jobs would make a hell of a difference. I'm going to do as much as I can in the next few days but I think my first day off with DS back at school and DH at work is going to be 'my big day of little jobs'.

Tomorrow I need to call a tree surgeon. I'm getting a little fearful of the next storm coming along and the big tree crashing through the house. The last storm saw it swinging quite wildly from side to side. Even my neighbour said she stood transfixed thinking any minute it's going to go. Something has to be done, I can risk it through another storm.

Right must get on and get stuff done. Have a lovely day with whatever you are doing.

• doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 28th Aug 17, 8:18 AM
    • 1,879 Posts
    • 8,516 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Thank you cherry. As I said in my previous post I did some things then run out of money and along came debt. I think fifteen years of sitting here thinking oh well, I can't do it is enough and I need to start pulling my finger out to get stuff done. You house does seem to have the same list as mine though.
    Originally posted by parsniphead
    Exactly the same for me Parsniphead
    Well done on taking action on that tree.
    Have a good day
    JANUARY 2016/SECURED DEBT=24,822/September 2017=6,448
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 28th Aug 17, 10:37 AM
    • 676 Posts
    • 2,084 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    oh and a new kitchen.
    That's on my list too!
    • parsniphead
    • By parsniphead 30th Aug 17, 8:20 AM
    • 2,146 Posts
    • 13,548 Thanks
    parsniphead
    Kitchens needed all around then.

Yesterday was a nice day. It was DH's 50th birthday and we went to the Black Country Living Museum for the day and had their fish and chips for lunch. Well worth the queuing time....yum yum.

I also spent some time last night starting on a dress for me. It's the first thing I have made myself in absolutely ages.

I did not do any decluttering at all. So today I have some catching up to do before work tomorrow. I think it's going to be one of those days of pottering and seeing what I achieve rather than making long lists. My only target is one bag of rubbish to be thrown/recycled and one bag for the charity shop.

My only other job is getting some name tags for DS's school uniform and doing septembers budget on Everydollar.

I hope you all have a good day whatever you are doing.

• Chrystal
    • By Chrystal 30th Aug 17, 1:45 PM
    • 72 Posts
    • 373 Thanks
    Chrystal
    Have you contacted that tree surgeon yet? Winter is Coming
    G,C. Sept. = £121.59/£300 = £178.41
    NSD so far = 9/30
    • parsniphead
    • By parsniphead 30th Aug 17, 4:01 PM
    • 2,146 Posts
    • 13,548 Thanks
    parsniphead
    Oops, forgot. Was too busy raging about something. Thanks for the reminder, I have now rung someone.

• parsniphead
    • By parsniphead 2nd Sep 17, 9:07 AM
    • 2,146 Posts
    • 13,548 Thanks
    parsniphead
    Morning diary. Just sitting in the garden with a cup of tea. I seem to be rubbish at keeping up with this diary at the moment.

It's been a funny old week and I seem to be struggling to get back into my routine, especially with my change in work day pattern. I now no longer have Fridays off so need to shop on another day. It was going to be Saturday's but I have decided to leave it until Wednesday and just do a tiny top up until then. That will mean I have gone an extra 5 days between big shops which can only be good.

My debt has gone up a bit this month so I really need to refocus on what I'm doing and be more aware of spending. Again it was mostly down to disorganisation and procrastination....what a surprise. But I also realised how much I have slipped into buying takeaways. With my new fitness plan this HAS to stop. One of my spends was a cheap version of a Fitbit thingy. Hopefully it will let me see what I'm doing and visually prompt me to try harder.

Today I have a small top up shop, a visit to a local fun day for DS and I need to upgrade my phone. I will save a good chunk of money doing this and I have put it off for over a month. For some reason I can get the online thing to work so I'm going to have to ring.

I would also like to finish the dress I was making so I have something new to wear.

I have also paid off some of my debt towards my challenge, but still have a long way to go. It's going to be tough but I will do it. I do have to say though that I'm really struggling to not withdraw the emergency fund and put that towards debt. I will not do this though. I have learnt from my mistake of not having one in the past.

Right ho, must get on and get the pesky shopping done soon. Boo hiss. Have a good day all. X

• abba1772
    • By abba1772 2nd Sep 17, 2:31 PM
    • 3,745 Posts
    • 10,630 Thanks
    abba1772
    Good luck on your August to Xmas challenge you can do it
    NEXT TARGET HALIFAX CC WAS July 17 £3572.57 NOW £5604.60
    POAMAYC 2011 £6382.66 POAMAYC 2012 £5000.78
    POAMAYC 2013 £3480.04 POAMAYC 2014 £4085.14
    POAMAYC 2015 £7565.24 POAMAYC 2016 £8000.90
    POAMAYC 2017 £4116.66 / £6000
    • Chrystal
    • By Chrystal 2nd Sep 17, 4:01 PM
    • 72 Posts
    • 373 Thanks
    Chrystal
    Hi PH
    Just popping in to give you cheers and encouragement.

Finish your dress. It will make you feel great about yourself, and then you can start on the next new thing to wear - cos you deserve it. X
    G,C. Sept. = £121.59/£300 = £178.41
    NSD so far = 9/30
    • parsniphead
    • By parsniphead 2nd Sep 17, 7:08 PM
    • 2,146 Posts
    • 13,548 Thanks
    parsniphead
    Thanks guys.

It's been a strange day. A very busy morning and an afternoon completely lacking oomph. At one point sat in the garden, wrapped in a blanket even though it was sunny, reading. Going to try to rescue the rest of the day and do something productive, like finishing the dress. I have some skirts I want to start on too.

On another note does anyone have a recommendation for a nice moisturiser. I have a combination skin but have never seemed to find the right product. I'm currently using the Oil of Ulay beauty fluid but it's not right.

Oh well, let's try to motivate myself. Have a good night all.

• parsniphead
    • By parsniphead 6th Sep 17, 6:45 AM
    • 2,146 Posts
    • 13,548 Thanks
    parsniphead
    I've not been on for a few days as I had nothing to say regally. Just the same old debt and decluttering which is getting very boring.

Today I have a day off. My first alone for six weeks. No DS or DH.

I have a parcel coming and shopping to do. I also have to sort the upgrade fiasco on my phone with craphone (or is it con phone) warehouse....what a mess they have made. I nearly blew a gasket last night.

I think I may spend today just catching up, clearing out and doing some of those small, put off jobs which will start to make a difference. It's just which ones to choose.

I do need to put my curtains back up and steam them. The washing needs catching up on if I can. Drying has been a nightmare the past few days. Also the freezers need sorting into some order. I need to stick down DS's ceiling paper where its come loose and some im my bedroom. Also a bit on the stairs DS peeled off. The fire surround needs a coat of paint (I wonder what I've got loitering) and the woodwork in the hall needs glossing.

First thing after the school run though I need to do another coat of woodworm treatment to make sure I've got the little devils.

I think I will be able to keep myself entertained today if I can stay awake. I despise insomnia and the current bout is bad.

Finally the tree man came yesterday. It's to big for him, he's only insured up to four meters so his friend should be calling. I want this done ASAP.i don't want another winter or storm with it in place.

Have a good day. P x

• doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 6th Sep 17, 8:10 AM
    • 1,879 Posts
    • 8,516 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Enjoy your day and I hope you get that tree sorted.
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 6th Sep 17, 1:07 PM
    • 676 Posts
    • 2,084 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    I've not been on for a few days as I had nothing to say regally.
    I now picture you as Victoria. (Sorry!)

The tree surgeon has been to do the two trees under the wires at Mum's old house - the house is so much lighter without them. Interestingly, as soon as I got home I found a paper in a pile I had brought from the house to sort. It was an order form filled in by Mum to fell that exact same tree, but never sent. Such a strange co-incidence. It makes me think twice about whether our loved ones are still around in some way. Mind you I have no idea how she managed to find that paper in amongst all hers - she had nearly as many as I have!

All your lists of jobs are inspiring me - maybe I should put my own on my thread to keep me on track? If I don't, they may not happen.

Hope you get the phone sorted. I don't know how we managed in the days before mobiles.
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 10th Sep 17, 12:27 AM
    • 676 Posts
    • 2,084 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    Just popped in to see how you are... all quiet in the land of parsnip? Any news on the tree? x
    • parsniphead
    • By parsniphead 10th Sep 17, 9:35 AM
    • 2,146 Posts
    • 13,548 Thanks
    parsniphead
    Thanks all for you comments and apologies for my abandonment of the diary. Since last Monday evening my whole life has been taken over by one, small mobile phone upgrade.

Now you may think this is mad and I agree but with DS's issues I need to be contacted by school if needed and due to the above mobile phone contract I have been in the wilderness.

After upgrading I realised on Monday that my old phone was still working and my new one wasn't. Cue the first phone call on Monday night ( 45 mins duration), second call Tuesday (30 mins duration), third call Wednesday ( 1hr 55mins duration), thursday night visit to EE shop for new sim, Friday night off even though phone still wasn't working but I could cope with another night of it and finally and 35 minute call on Saturday morning followed by a trip to the local craphone warehouse where the issue was sorted after another 45 minutes. Thank goodness for the guys in the shop because no one else seemed to be too interested.

Anyway during this time the house has turned into a complete sh!ttip (excuse the language). Between today and Wednesday (my day off) I need to get it sorted again ready for the big push.

Someone came out to look at the tree but it was too big for him as he was insured for up to 4 meters but he has a friend who does big trees so i need to contact him to get it sorted. I think he may have tried to call but with no phone I guess he's been unsuccessful. I also need to sort a seriously leaking bay window roof. It's getting bad now and it's going to be another chunk of money we need to find. I better start sending positive vibes out to the universe to start the money rolling in.

Finally later I'm taking one hour out to catch up on diarys as I have no idea what's going on.

Have a good day all. X

• redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 10th Sep 17, 10:48 AM
    • 316 Posts
    • 1,367 Thanks
    redofromstart
    I hope the phone issue is sorted now, so much negative energy into these things and the stress of not being contactable by school would really worry me too.
    • parsniphead
    • By parsniphead 11th Sep 17, 6:55 AM
    • 2,146 Posts
    • 13,548 Thanks
    parsniphead
    Getting back on track
    Thank you redo' the phone is now working and I'm in contact with the world again.

This week I really need to focus on getting things back to where they were and then moving forward. If I want to reach both of my goals before Christmas this is imperative.

I have decided to set some small, non negotiable goals for the week and ad some extra ones. I think if I focus each night I should be able to achieve them comfortably and with Wednesday off I should get the extra jobs done.

Goals for the week

Arrange for tree to be chopped. I need a date.

Call about bay roof. This needs doing.

Continue the declutter. One carrier bag per day minimum. Take to charity shop on Wednesdays.

Get back into washing/drying routine. With autumn/winter coming this is urgent, especially with no tumble dryer. One load a day minimum and put away when dry.

Hang curtains again.

Paint the woodwork on the hall. This will complete the hall.

Food inventory and sort freezers. Meal plans.

Tidy sitting/dining room.

Finish any sewing before starting something else.

Get new log sleeved tshirts. I threw all mine out.

Clear stairs again.

DS's room.

EXTRA JOB

COMPLETELY GUT SPARE ROOM AND BUY NEW AIRER. THIS IS TO BE MY DRYING ROOM.

I may add to this but it's a start.

Right lets make a start before work.

Have a good day.

• doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 11th Sep 17, 8:43 PM
    • 1,879 Posts
    • 8,516 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    You are sounding organised on on it. Good stuff
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 11th Sep 17, 10:41 PM
    • 676 Posts
    • 2,084 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    That's a scary big list for before 7 in the morning!

I'm sorry you had to spend all that time trying to sort the phone out. What a hassle! Hopefully from hereon in, it will behave beautifully.

I like your idea of a drying room. Hope that all falls into place soon. It's been very showery here for a week or so and the washing starts to pile up. I'll admit to having the dryer on a couple of times because things on the airer just weren't drying - possibly because leaving it in the hall means it's not (oddly enough) got an effective draft to help it dry. Best place is over the bannister rail on the landing, or hanging in doorways, but it gets a bit like Narnia but without snow or Turkish Delight.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,364Posts Today

7,847Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin