Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • parsniphead
    • By parsniphead 5th Jun 16, 4:45 PM
    • 2,244Posts
    • 14,274Thanks
    parsniphead
    The end of procrastination and disorganisation.......
    • 5th Jun 16, 4:45 PM
    The end of procrastination and disorganisation....... 5th Jun 16 at 4:45 PM
    .............and the above are the reasons for virtually all of my problems in the past and present, be it debt, weight, careers and the state of the house.

I have plans, big plans which I don't have time to pop on here right now, but I intend to use this diary to sort me out once and for all.

It's going to be fun.....a real step into the unknown.

I can't wait.
    Nothing gets better until you get better.
Page 23
    • clearmydebts
    • By clearmydebts 4th Jul 17, 9:47 AM
    • 6,087 Posts
    • 17,554 Thanks
    clearmydebts
    ***DISCLAIMER - I'M JUST PONDERING NONSENCE***

I should not be given thinking time I swear. It's far too dangerous. Anyway walking back from school I got to thinking how I need to stick to my D@ve R@msey baby steps. I do, I do, I do...........but I also had another little thought pop into my head. I wonder as I'm not back at work now until 21st August, therefore I have seven weeks off, three of them with child safely in school how close to becoming debt free I could become if I worked really, REALLY hard at it.

You see, I now have a period of time to be as focussed on one thing as I can be.

Ideas
    • I have loads and loads of sewing to do bringing in extra money.
    • i do not need gas and electricity this month as i have it covered to the end of the month.
    • i have loads of stuff in the fridge/freezer and cupboards which could be turned into meals even with my very limited cooking skills.
    • i have loads of stuff i could sell and time to do it.
    • i have money which would have gone on work related expences, such as parking, which could be extra towards debt.

So you see it wouldn't hurt would it? All monies made would initially go towards the £1000 emergency fund and the rest towards the debt. I would still be on the plan wouldn't i?

It would be exceptionally hard work but I love being busy and don't cope well with lack of structure.

It wouldn't hurt to have a go. You never know I may finish the seven weeks with an emergency fund and be debt free. AT THIS POINT I WOULD USUALLY USE THE ROLLING THE FLOOR LAUGHING THINGY BUT THIS TIME NO. IM GOING TO THINK POSITIVE AND SEE MY GOALS MET IN MY HEAD.

Oh blimey, it looks like I have managed to talk myself into it. What's to lose eh.

Right ho, off I go.

Have a good day all. Xxx
    Originally posted by parsniphead
    Good on you! Go for it Worst case scenario is you have your emergency fund and a dent in your debt. Best case is that you clear your debts!

Hello by the way I've subscribed to keep track!
    Total debt (starting September 2016): €21,872/€27,000
    BOI credit card: €6,000/€7,000
    Loan:€15,872/
    Savings: €0
    • in need of direction
    • By in need of direction 4th Jul 17, 10:01 AM
    • 4,735 Posts
    • 26,813 Thanks
    in need of direction
    break the all out approach into steps or stages and inspire us all with what you can achieve. it might even tear me away from spider solitaire, tea and ginger snaps!
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83 today £79,389.12, target £75,000 by 31/12/17 Offset fund today £4,055.43 target £5,500 by 31/12/17
    Emergency fund £5k/5.5k & £130/200 cash.
    Current weight loss 7/32 by 28 feb 2018
    determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes.
    Progress not perfection.
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 4th Jul 17, 11:05 AM
    • 941 Posts
    • 4,186 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    You know what? That sounds like a plan.

I'll cheer you on - but please...don't wear yourself out doing it. You need some time for you, too. Post us lots of updates: blow by blow if necessary!

(When you're done, please can you come and be my sewing coach? I booked myself into a class which has been cancelled and not replaced!)
    • parsniphead
    • By parsniphead 4th Jul 17, 1:26 PM
    • 2,244 Posts
    • 14,274 Thanks
    parsniphead
    Good on you! Go for it Worst case scenario is you have your emergency fund and a dent in your debt. Best case is that you clear your debts!

Hello by the way I've subscribed to keep track!
    Originally posted by clearmydebts
    Hello clearmydebts

This is what I'm thinking. I also need to keep myself out of mischief while I'm off work. Plus it give me a mini idea if full self employment will be viable when I have less or no debt.

break the all out approach into steps or stages and inspire us all with what you can achieve. it might even tear me away from spider solitaire, tea and ginger snaps!
    Originally posted by in need of direction
    Well INOD I've decided, after your post, to knock it on the head. I'm going to come and live in your house for a spider solitaire, tea and ginger snap party. Sounds like heaven.

My small steps so far are altering three items for one customer and finding dinner from the freezer. I have some more sewing in a minute but I'm just straightening out my spine for a few minutes. It's a killer on my back.

You know what? That sounds like a plan.

I'll cheer you on - but please...don't wear yourself out doing it. You need some time for you, too. Post us lots of updates: blow by blow if necessary!

(When you're done, please can you come and be my sewing coach? I booked myself into a class which has been cancelled and not replaced!)
    Originally posted by Cherryfudge
    Oh I won't cherryfudge, but I like to be busy. I will keep posting to motivate myself but I may have to limit it to two or three a day.

Boo about the sewing class. Are there none at a local college? I would love to teach you. It's something I have been thinking about again recently. Alas I feel we are too far apart. Oh do you have a local fabric store. Some run classes. It's an idea.
    • parsniphead
    • By parsniphead 5th Jul 17, 12:36 PM
    • 2,244 Posts
    • 14,274 Thanks
    parsniphead
    What a strange day. I did a really silly thing last night. I didn't go to be until after midnight and had to get up at 5am. Today is a washout. I have been to town this morning and also trimmed the garden hedge but I'm wiped out at the moment. So I have decided to do something today which I haven't done for a very, very long time and relax for a couple of hours before picking DS up from school. Sometimes it needs to be done.

Yesterday was ok. I made £25 from very little work which was good. I have plenty more to do and should keep me busy for the next two days. Once that's done I need to get on with the house jobs and getting rid of cutter. Oh and I need to make DH's birthday presents. O forgot about that.

Right some me time, perhaps 40 winks.

Night all
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 5th Jul 17, 8:36 PM
    • 2,178 Posts
    • 10,114 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Ooh, a new plan. I love it

You can do it!. You really do inspire me.
    JANUARY 2016/SECURED DEBT=24,822/November 2017=3,500
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • parsniphead
    • By parsniphead 6th Jul 17, 1:48 PM
    • 2,244 Posts
    • 14,274 Thanks
    parsniphead
    Ah thank you DIA. I feel the same about reading other people's diaries. It just keeps me going and inspired.

I have continued today with my many sewing jobs. I also have two more sets of alterations jobs coming in so a few more pounds. To be honest alterations aren't my passion but it's all money and hopefully I will be able to do more of what I like.

I have decided that tomorrow I'm going to take an hour and go and gets DS's uniform for next academic year. He is struggling with buttons so I have seem some press together shirts in matalan. I may get the rest from Asda or Tesco apart fro his embroided sweatshirt which I will need to get from the local school shop. I will leave his shoes until the first day of his holiday. I would rather he get a couple less weeks of wear than head to clarks nearer school time. . Those poor folks should get a medal.

Right off for stay and do at school now then some more work later. Maybe a bit of sewing for little old me.

Enjoy the sun everyone.
    • in need of direction
    • By in need of direction 6th Jul 17, 10:46 PM
    • 4,735 Posts
    • 26,813 Thanks
    in need of direction
    I'm being nosey but what is your passion?
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83 today £79,389.12, target £75,000 by 31/12/17 Offset fund today £4,055.43 target £5,500 by 31/12/17
    Progress not perfection.
    • parsniphead
    • By parsniphead 7th Jul 17, 12:29 PM
    • 2,244 Posts
    • 14,274 Thanks
    parsniphead
    I like designing and making stuff from scratch and also leatherwork. Thr problem is i dont really live in an affluent part of the world so i nust tend to get repairs and alterations. I do have an online presence which needs setting up properly this weekend.

I have qhad a little bit of a windfall today so i have just put £350 in my savings towards my emergency fund. D@ve Ramsey suggests a £1000 emergency fund unless you are on a very low income, which i am. So im aiming for £500 initially. I will then build it up as i go on. I would like £500 by the end of next week so i need to find £150 by next friday. Game on then. Better get this sewing finished asap.

I will succeed.
    • abba1772
    • By abba1772 7th Jul 17, 12:42 PM
    • 4,013 Posts
    • 12,286 Thanks
    abba1772
    You can do it parsniphead xx
    NEXT TARGET HALIFAX CC WAS July 17 £3572.57 NOW £4536.82
    POAMAYC 2011 £6382.66 POAMAYC 2012 £5000.78
    POAMAYC 2013 £3480.04 POAMAYC 2014 £4085.14
    POAMAYC 2015 £7565.24 POAMAYC 2016 £8000.90
    POAMAYC 2017 £6784.64 / £6000
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 7th Jul 17, 12:59 PM
    • 2,178 Posts
    • 10,114 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Odd. We started our emergency savings on the same day and I also have the grand total of £350. I won't be able to get to £500 until the end of the month. I would like to get to £1,000 but I might have to sell my bike to get there.

You are doing great Parsniphead
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • in need of direction
    • By in need of direction 7th Jul 17, 1:57 PM
    • 4,735 Posts
    • 26,813 Thanks
    in need of direction
    great news, 70% of the way there
    Progress not perfection.
    • parsniphead
    • By parsniphead 7th Jul 17, 7:14 PM
    • 2,244 Posts
    • 14,274 Thanks
    parsniphead
    You can do it parsniphead xx
    Originally posted by abba1772
    Thanks Abba. I just need to find my 'saving up for stuff' mojo now like you do.

Odd. We started our emergency savings on the same day and I also have the grand total of £350. I won't be able to get to £500 until the end of the month. I would like to get to £1,000 but I might have to sell my bike to get there.

You are doing great Parsniphead
    Originally posted by doingitanyway
    Oh snap. Fantastic. Well done DIA. DH has given be back his share of the food shopping money. I'm considering adding it to my savings rather than leaving it in my account where it may get frittered away. It would raise my fund to £411. I have money in my account to pay any outstanding DD's with a bit extra. I will give it some thought.

great news, 70% of the way there
    Originally posted by in need of direction
    It sounds nice put like that INOD. Thank you.

I keep getting this silly feeling of excitement. I've never really had this amount put away. I did get £3000 redundancy last year but it got spent while trying to cover costs when DH got sick after I finished work. I thought that I may never reach this point and now it's in grasping distance. I'm nearer to baby step two than I've ever been.

Business is going good. I have two more lots of work to do. That may be small jobs but all is welcome and so far it's all been word of mouth. I can see this building to a point where it becomes my full time job. I'm just going to keep trying.

I couldn't have done without you guys encouragement. Thank you so much.
    • Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 8th Jul 17, 7:19 AM
    • 2,581 Posts
    • 21,331 Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    Brilliant progress Parsnip

Fortune x
    Mortgage: 2.4% paid House Deposit Contribution: 88% Emergency Fund: 57%

All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us - J R R Tolkein
    • parsniphead
    • By parsniphead 8th Jul 17, 7:28 AM
    • 2,244 Posts
    • 14,274 Thanks
    parsniphead
    Thank you Fortune Smiles. My mind seems to have shifted gear and I feel so determined.

Today is going to be a bit spendy but I have budgeted or it. It's the local fun day on the park so I'm taking DS. It will be fair rides, tombolas and burgers all round.

I have decided to put the shopping money DH gave me into savings. On Monday im taking it up to the credit union and putting it in there. It's harder to get to. Adding the extra my emergency budget has reached £410. I'm so happy. It's taken years to get here but finally I'm doing it.

Have a fantastic day everyone.
    • in need of direction
    • By in need of direction 8th Jul 17, 11:05 AM
    • 4,735 Posts
    • 26,813 Thanks
    in need of direction
    Only another 18% to go. Amazing what having a target can do.
    Progress not perfection.
    • UncannyScot
    • By UncannyScot 8th Jul 17, 1:45 PM
    • 868 Posts
    • 5,056 Thanks
    UncannyScot
    You're doing great
    Have a lovely day
    BUGGRITMILLENIUMHANDANDSHRIMP I TOLD EM! - Foul Ole Ron
    It is important that we know where we come from, because if you do not know where you come from, then you do not know where you are, and if you don't know where you are, then you don't know where you are going. If you don't know where you're going, you're probably going wrong.
    R.I.P. T.P.
    • parsniphead
    • By parsniphead 8th Jul 17, 9:16 PM
    • 2,244 Posts
    • 14,274 Thanks
    parsniphead
    Thank you INOD and uncannyscot. I need all the encoragement i can get.

I have changed my signature to show my real debts. Its scary reading but also quite comforting. I do like the emergency savings bit the most. I thonk the boost yesterday has really refocussed my brain. Once all mt sewing jobs are done this week i will have more than £500.

As you know I'm following the D@ve R@msey plan. He suggest $1000 or $500 for low incomes. $500 is about £377 pounds so im kind of in the middle. I wiil continue to add to it until it reaches £1000 but to have £500 is a huge step for me. So as soon as i reach £500 every single penny possible will go towards debt....except 10% of each payment will be withheld. I really, really need a new mattress. I was speared by a spring last night and its so bumpy and uncomfortable. I need to research costs of mattresses.

Once my new money regime settles in and becomes habit i will start on my health and weight loss. This needs to be sorted as I'm starting to feel really ill and in pain with my joints.

Right off to put DS in bed. I've let him have a later night tonight but i now need some me time.

Night all. X
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 8th Jul 17, 10:09 PM
    • 2,178 Posts
    • 10,114 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    I agree your mattress should be priority. To achieve all you need to, a decent sleep is so important.

Well done on the emergency savings.

Dave Ramsey makes sense and I too will be following his baby steps

Sleep well Parsniphead
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • parsniphead
    • By parsniphead 9th Jul 17, 7:52 AM
    • 2,244 Posts
    • 14,274 Thanks
    parsniphead
    Thanks DIA. i could do with a new mattress now but i have lit up with it for a long time so a little longer wont hurt. It will be nice to save for it and not put it onto a card.

I'm going to have a day of general tidying and decluttering today as tomorrow i will be sewing all day while DS is at school. Tonight or tomorrow I also need to start painting the woodwork in the hall. The days just fly by so quickly I dont seem to be making massive progress on my list.

Lets see what happens today and how far I can get. Bags for the bin, charity shop and a pile for the tip would be nice.

Have a good day all.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

987Posts Today

6,127Users online

Martin's Twitter