Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • parsniphead
    • By parsniphead 5th Jun 16, 4:45 PM
    • 1,870Posts
    • 12,193Thanks
    parsniphead
    The end of procrastination and disorganisation.......
    • 5th Jun 16, 4:45 PM
    The end of procrastination and disorganisation....... 5th Jun 16 at 4:45 PM
    .............and the above are the reasons for virtually all of my problems in the past and present, be it debt, weight, careers and the state of the house.

I have plans, big plans which I don't have time to pop on here right now, but I intend to use this diary to sort me out once and for all.

It's going to be fun.....a real step into the unknown.

I can't wait.
    Pay off debt by Christmas 2017 #22 - £1012.22/£7148.39 14%
    June Grocery Challenge £0/£180
    I have already lost touch with a couple of people I used to be. Joan Didion
Page 18
    • in need of direction
    • By in need of direction 10th Jun 17, 10:30 AM
    • 4,306 Posts
    • 24,060 Thanks
    in need of direction
    I hate dealing with floors, hoovering, brushing or mopping.
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83 today £82,269.82, target £75,000 by 31/12/17 Offset fund today £3,955.43 target £5,500 by 31/12/17
    Emergency fund £5.5k & £200 cash.
    determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes.
    Progress not perfection.
    • parsniphead
    • By parsniphead 10th Jun 17, 1:13 PM
    • 1,870 Posts
    • 12,193 Thanks
    parsniphead
    It's horribly disheartening, isn't it, when the house is a tip. Mine is just slightly less of one than it was the other day... but only slightly. I need to put time and effort in but time and effort are going elsewhere.

A small, clean space will do wonders for your sense of being in control. From there you can target other areas. My personal 'must do' is the bathroom because I always think that if visitors have to use it then firstly they won't be thinking 'Ee-oo' in disgust and secondly they will somehow believe that's the true (tranquil, orderly) state of my house and the mess must be temporary because who would tidy and clean the bathroom when visitors wouldn't necessarily see it? If you followed all that, well done.

I hope the house obliges and you don't need to pull a sickie on Monday - more likely go back to work for a rest! I do see what you mean about it paying better, though. Might it be worth considering cutting your paid hours to concentrate on your own business?
    Originally posted by Cherryfudge
    I know what you mean. My FIL and his wife arrived unexpectedly the other day and she popped to the loo. The clutter was everywhere, I was so embarrassed.

It is in my plans to spend more time doing self employed stuff soon, but I'm walking a fine line at the moment.
    • parsniphead
    • By parsniphead 10th Jun 17, 1:15 PM
    • 1,870 Posts
    • 12,193 Thanks
    parsniphead
    Good to see you updating here. I feel better and motivated when I read diaries and see what others are doing.

Absolutely agree on house, How do people do it? I feel like such a failure when I come back and actually look at mine. 'Oh don't look, its such a mess!' Amateurs
    Originally posted by hex2
    I don't know how they do it. I don't want a completely sterile house but I just have too much stuff to tidy and clean around.
    • parsniphead
    • By parsniphead 10th Jun 17, 1:18 PM
    • 1,870 Posts
    • 12,193 Thanks
    parsniphead
    I feel the same Parsnip - I permanently live in a state of CHAOS and I blinkin' hate it but can't seem to do anything about it.

Luckily we have 2 big dogs so if someone calls by like someone from the village I talk to them on the doorstep while the dogs bark behind me (the reality is that they are big softies and wouldn't hurt a fly).
    The only people who enter are people who have contacted me beforehand - I'm talking weeks here and still the day before I run about cleaning and tidying the house.

In the holidays DD wanted friends over which I agreed to as I had worked all week while she laid in bed all week (she is 14 though) and it took 2 days of cleaning from her and hours and hours of my time to get the house just looking presentable - it wasn't even immaculate. I know she spent a lot of time on her bedroom but the rest of the house looked was bad and of course as teenagers do they wander all through the house so every room had to be done.

I started reading A Slob Comes Cleans which you recommended as the way her mind works is so me.
    I am reading from the start and she is adding to her non-negotiable daily tasks still - this is stuff that normal people do every day but I leave until it has built up into a huge job. One example is the kitchen floor - she now sweeps everyday even if there is hardly anything on the floor and it takes 2 minutes maximum but before (and this is what I do) you let it build up for weeks so it takes 20-30 mins to tidy the stuff off the floor, then sweep it and then wash it thereby feeling like housework takes over your life.

I need to work better and smarter at home and need to practice what I have been reading.

Sorry for my ramble but it really hit a nerve with me.

Hope you get lots done today.

I am having a coffee and then about to carry on tidying as DS is back from Uni for the summer today and I want the house to be tidy. Normally it looks a tip and I know he knows that how we live but I just want to come back to a tidy house for once.
    Originally posted by Eager_Elephant
    I'm going to go back and read her book again. I did find her inspirational unlike Marie Kodo which annoyed me a bit.

DS doesn't have people come back yet as he is only six so I have a few years to try and get things straight.

Ramble away as much as you want.
    • parsniphead
    • By parsniphead 10th Jun 17, 1:20 PM
    • 1,870 Posts
    • 12,193 Thanks
    parsniphead
    I hate dealing with floors, hoovering, brushing or mopping.
    Originally posted by in need of direction
    Urgh, vacuuming......hate, hate, hate it. Give me ironing anyday.
    • enthusiasticsaver
    • By enthusiasticsaver 10th Jun 17, 3:30 PM
    • 3,544 Posts
    • 6,178 Thanks
    enthusiasticsaver
    Just read your diary and wanted to offer you some encouragement as you do seem to struggle from time to time. Well done on getting the debt moved to 0% as this means at least that your payments are actually reducing the amount owed and not being paid out in interest. I have great admiration as well in you not only working with autistic children but also having a son who is on the spectrum. Great patience must be needed and he is lucky to have you. We look after our almost 2 year old granddaughter one day a week and meltdowns are a challenge but somehow in public people seem to be more understanding of a toddler than a school age one even though obviously autism means he struggles more with his emotions.

Re clutter, I rarely buy stuff unless it is really needed. I don't think I have the shopping gene as I really don't like it. It is a necessary evil for things we need and I really only go to shops for clothes. Everything else is researched to death and then bought online. My daughters laugh at me as we are still using saucepans my mother in law bought as a wedding present 34 years ago now. They are still fine though as very good quality and I use plastic spoons for stirring so they don't scratch so it seems to be a waste to buy new and fill up landfill by ditching the old ones.

If the house is clutter free it is much easier to find stuff and clean it weekly and I also feel like I can relax better in it. I have a policy of thinking before I buy it so don't impulse buy. Is this something you struggle with? Meal planning is good with not wasting food too and money goes much further then.

Keep up the good work in debt busting. Do you have a DFD or are you breaking it up into chunks?
    Debt and mortgage free and saving for early retirement
    • Bobarella
    • By Bobarella 10th Jun 17, 4:11 PM
    • 10,623 Posts
    • 68,502 Thanks
    Bobarella
    Elephant your line about the dogs totally cracked me up!

Parsnip I'm sorry you are finding it a struggle again. I do have a daily routine but even then I find at certain points things just get a bit much. Our washing machine broke down on Thursday (my day for doing the beds typically) so we have been doing it in the bath and thank god the weather's windy and hot! So line drying is possible. But it's another thing we didn't need. And the engineer can't come out till Wednesday. So it's disrupted things.

I wonder, have you ever considered paying a professional to come in and assess things for you? Appreciate it's a cost but everyone has a different living style and they may be able to recommend things that for your lifestyle.
    " Your vibe attracts your tribe"

Debt neutral 27/03/17 from £40k in the hole 2012.
    Roadkill 17 £54.82 2016-£62.28 2015- £84.20)
    RYSAW17 £1855 2016 £2,535.16 2015 £1027.20
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 10th Jun 17, 8:37 PM
    • 1,596 Posts
    • 7,135 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Parsniphead, I am struggling too! It is a constant battle. I do feel the answer is a regular routine and I don't have one. I can see that I need one.

I had a friend drop me off a few months back and ask if she could use the loo and I had to say no. That was so embarrassing
    JANUARY 2016/SECURED DEBT=24,822/June 2017=8,882
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • parsniphead
    • By parsniphead 10th Jun 17, 9:21 PM
    • 1,870 Posts
    • 12,193 Thanks
    parsniphead
    Just read your diary and wanted to offer you some encouragement as you do seem to struggle from time to time. Well done on getting the debt moved to 0% as this means at least that your payments are actually reducing the amount owed and not being paid out in interest. I have great admiration as well in you not only working with autistic children but also having a son who is on the spectrum. Great patience must be needed and he is lucky to have you. We look after our almost 2 year old granddaughter one day a week and meltdowns are a challenge but somehow in public people seem to be more understanding of a toddler than a school age one even though obviously autism means he struggles more with his emotions.

Re clutter, I rarely buy stuff unless it is really needed. I don't think I have the shopping gene as I really don't like it. It is a necessary evil for things we need and I really only go to shops for clothes. Everything else is researched to death and then bought online. My daughters laugh at me as we are still using saucepans my mother in law bought as a wedding present 34 years ago now. They are still fine though as very good quality and I use plastic spoons for stirring so they don't scratch so it seems to be a waste to buy new and fill up landfill by ditching the old ones.

If the house is clutter free it is much easier to find stuff and clean it weekly and I also feel like I can relax better in it. I have a policy of thinking before I buy it so don't impulse buy. Is this something you struggle with? Meal planning is good with not wasting food too and money goes much further then.

Keep up the good work in debt busting. Do you have a DFD or are you breaking it up into chunks?
    Originally posted by enthusiasticsaver
    Thank you enthusiasticsaver.

I dont buy much due to lack of funds but i do get attached to DS's stuff. I had a cluttered house before DH moved in and DS came along so its got worse since then.

I do meal plan and rarely throw food away. I just wish i was a better cook..

I guess i need to just keep focussing on small areas until tbey join up rather than trying to do it all at once.
    • parsniphead
    • By parsniphead 10th Jun 17, 9:24 PM
    • 1,870 Posts
    • 12,193 Thanks
    parsniphead
    Elephant your line about the dogs totally cracked me up!

Parsnip I'm sorry you are finding it a struggle again. I do have a daily routine but even then I find at certain points things just get a bit much. Our washing machine broke down on Thursday (my day for doing the beds typically) so we have been doing it in the bath and thank god the weather's windy and hot! So line drying is possible. But it's another thing we didn't need. And the engineer can't come out till Wednesday. So it's disrupted things.

I wonder, have you ever considered paying a professional to come in and assess things for you? Appreciate it's a cost but everyone has a different living style and they may be able to recommend things that for your lifestyle.
    Originally posted by Bobarella
    I feel for you bob with no washer, especially with two littlies. I hope its fixed soon.

Ive spent too many years trying to organise stuff when i should have been getting rid of it. So no more extra storage and more getting rid. I have got rid of two bags of stuff today.
    • parsniphead
    • By parsniphead 10th Jun 17, 9:28 PM
    • 1,870 Posts
    • 12,193 Thanks
    parsniphead
    Parsniphead, I am struggling too! It is a constant battle. I do feel the answer is a regular routine and I don't have one. I can see that I need one.

I had a friend drop me off a few months back and ask if she could use the loo and I had to say no. That was so embarrassing
    Originally posted by doingitanyway

You said no. Brilliant. That has cheered me up no end.

Regular routines are such a struggle. My excuse is as im a creative type its in my genes.
    • parsniphead
    • By parsniphead 11th Jun 17, 11:31 AM
    • 1,870 Posts
    • 12,193 Thanks
    parsniphead
    I have been throwing stuff out.

I'm now putting away washing and polishing my bedroom.

I will then continue to declutter. I will beat the one bag i did yesterday.
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 11th Jun 17, 12:16 PM
    • 1,596 Posts
    • 7,135 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Well done Parsniphead.
    I have done rubbish again so far, too busy day dreaming planning.
    I'm going to at least do the kitchen before going out...
    Don't forget to do something nice for yourself too
    JANUARY 2016/SECURED DEBT=24,822/June 2017=8,882
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • parsniphead
    • By parsniphead 11th Jun 17, 6:09 PM
    • 1,870 Posts
    • 12,193 Thanks
    parsniphead
    Oooh I love a good daydream DIA. Keep it up. I hope you did something nice for you too.

Things are going slowly but I'm still going. I may have a bit of a late night after DS goes to bed. I do stubgle to stay up late these days as I feel so tired all the time. I was putting it down to age but my inner eyelids are paler than usual so perhaps I'm a little anaemic.

I saw the following on Foxgloves signature and it really resonated with me.

Money can't jump out of your purse on its own so ask 'Can I borrow one, make one, grow one, bake one, re-purpose or recycle, acquire it for free?' Yes? Then put that purse away & keep your money because little savings grow!

Perhaps something to live by.The signatures are as inspirational as the diaries at times.

Off to do a bit more.
    • enthusiasticsaver
    • By enthusiasticsaver 11th Jun 17, 6:30 PM
    • 3,544 Posts
    • 6,178 Thanks
    enthusiasticsaver
    Thank you enthusiasticsaver.

I dont buy much due to lack of funds but i do get attached to DS's stuff. I had a cluttered house before DH moved in and DS came along so its got worse since then.

I do meal plan and rarely throw food away. I just wish i was a better cook..

I guess i need to just keep focussing on small areas until tbey join up rather than trying to do it all at once.
    Originally posted by parsniphead
    I would tackle one room at a time and if there are a lot of cupboards do one a day or something. Re childrens toys, we put our granddaughters in stacking boxes and rotate them so they are not available all the time, she tends to then play with them for a while and not flit from one to another and pieces don't get lost. I am ruthless with broken toys and freecycle loads of stuff.
    Debt and mortgage free and saving for early retirement
    • in need of direction
    • By in need of direction 11th Jun 17, 11:44 PM
    • 4,306 Posts
    • 24,060 Thanks
    in need of direction
    Tomorrow I will get so much done. Today we weeded paperwork and I got all my p60s and notifications of tax codes gathered up and in chronological order. Baby steps but I think that if there is structure, there's less chance of rooms being upended when I need something.
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83 today £82,269.82, target £75,000 by 31/12/17 Offset fund today £3,955.43 target £5,500 by 31/12/17
    Emergency fund £5.5k & £200 cash.
    determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes.
    Progress not perfection.
    • parsniphead
    • By parsniphead 12th Jun 17, 5:19 AM
    • 1,870 Posts
    • 12,193 Thanks
    parsniphead
    Thanks enthusiastic saver.

Its DS's stuff i struggle with. I get far too attached to it. Im beginning to get better though as some stuff has gone. The school are asking for unwanted books so some may go there.

Oh INOD, paperwork. So often its sorted then just builds up again. I have now sorted a file of the really important stuff to make things easier should i die. Morbid i know but its helped to start on the pile.

It was nice to come down to three tidyish rooms this morning. A once round with the vacuum and polish later will help too. There is only so good something will look when it needs complete refurbishment though.

Im just going to put the washing away before taking DH to the bus station. Then i have a long list to start on before DS goes off to school.

Have a good day all.
    • abba1772
    • By abba1772 12th Jun 17, 8:41 AM
    • 3,498 Posts
    • 9,043 Thanks
    abba1772
    Thanks parsniphead just had a read over your last couple of days and I got off my backside and gutted the clutter from my hallway........it's all clean just need to wash the floor and hoover the carpets but my youngest is still sleeping lol xx
    NEXT TARGET HALIFAX CC WAS £3308.35 NOW £3308.35
    POAMAYC 2011 £6382.66 POAMAYC 2012 £5000.78
    POAMAYC 2013 £3480.04 POAMAYC 2014 £4085.14
    POAMAYC 2015 £7565.24 POAMAYC 2016 £8000.90
    POAMAYC 2017 £2802.67 / £6000
    • parsniphead
    • By parsniphead 13th Jun 17, 6:34 AM
    • 1,870 Posts
    • 12,193 Thanks
    parsniphead
    Thanks abba.

Its a never ending nightmare with clutter here but I will keep at it. I.have three and a half weeks before i break up and i want the majority of it done by then.

I didnt get any done yesterday as i was sewing. I was still at it at midnight and I'm so tired. How i dislike 5am starts.

I had a very visual kick up the bum yesterday. I measured my waist and compared it to my dress form which used to be bigger than me at the smallest setting..😫😪 I'm now 12 inches bigger. I felt sick. Im a visual learner and it hit me like a ton of bricks. More clutter to lose then and this pile is attached.

Off to fill another bag before work.

P x
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 13th Jun 17, 8:43 AM
    • 417 Posts
    • 1,115 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    Commiserations Parsnip... My DiL-to-be is the same weight I was when I got married - I keep wondering where my middle-aged spread came from! If it's any consolation, while I've not managed much at all in the way of weight loss, now that I'm exercising, I've toned up a lot and that makes a noticeable difference.

I was just looking at your signature: 14% is a significant amount to have paid off, and just as you are conquering that, so you will conquer the clutter and the extra weight... one £/lb at a time.
    30 days in June...
    NSDs 9/12, Exercise 8/12, Housekeeping £108.57/£120
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

769Posts Today

6,477Users online

Martin's Twitter