Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • parsniphead
    • By parsniphead 5th Jun 16, 4:45 PM
    • 2,222Posts
    • 14,086Thanks
    parsniphead
    The end of procrastination and disorganisation.......
    • 5th Jun 16, 4:45 PM
    The end of procrastination and disorganisation....... 5th Jun 16 at 4:45 PM
    .............and the above are the reasons for virtually all of my problems in the past and present, be it debt, weight, careers and the state of the house.

I have plans, big plans which I don't have time to pop on here right now, but I intend to use this diary to sort me out once and for all.

It's going to be fun.....a real step into the unknown.

I can't wait.
    My August to Christmas challenge:.
    Pay off £2500 debt - £1088/2500 43.52%
    Completely declutter the house by Christmas day...all of it.

Nothing gets better until you get better.
Page 17
    • Bobarella
    • By Bobarella 16th May 17, 10:53 AM
    • 10,476 Posts
    • 69,558 Thanks
    Bobarella
    He had a lovely time thanks Abba and I got to stay outside in the sun while they were all on the fun bus.

It's a funny time of the month where things are stagnant and I often begin to get frustrated so I have decided to make changes to try and stop this.

I have been working on consciously having a more positive mindset for the past few days, which is not easy when there is debt in your life. Anyway, it's probably coincidence but it seems to be working. I had a neighbour ask mum about doing some work for him. Which led to another neighbour overhearing and asking about what I do too. It looks like there may be future jobs from her too. It's building, slowly building.

I had a nice dream last night. I have been considering my options for such a long time and I think my mind is trying to tell me to stop being a chicken and throw myself at what I want to do. It's strange, when I was young I would just up and do things, but now I spend too much time pondering and worrying. Realistically I'm probably over half way through my life. It's a sobering thought and has made me want to achieve something more than ever. It's time to stop living in the past and future and start living in the present.

But for now work today. I may wish to be doing something different but it gives me money to pay the bills.

I hope you have a good day. Enjoy it. P x
    Originally posted by parsniphead
    You sound very determined today Parsniphead.
    " Your vibe attracts your tribe"

Debt neutral 27/03/17 from £40k in the hole 2012.
    Roadkill 17 £56.58 2016-£62.28 2015- £84.20)
    RYSAW17 £1900 2016 £2,535.16 2015 £1027.20
    • parsniphead
    • By parsniphead 20th May 17, 10:57 PM
    • 2,222 Posts
    • 14,086 Thanks
    parsniphead
    Thanks Bob. I'm trying to keep focussed.

I have just typed a long message and lost it.

I have been focussed on money, work and beings no the present so haven't had time to come on really. I have been taking a long look at how I'm living my life and realised I need to make some big changes.

Money. I can't cut any more so making extra money has to be my focus. If I cut any more then my quality of life will start to be seriously impacted. I need to keep bringing in as much extra work as possible. Paying off my debt is a priority.

Secondly I have to deal with the house. I have been reading a blog where they had got rid of 50% of there possessions in three or so months. Then they continued to go through stuff afterwards. Tomorrow I'm going to look through my fabric stash and get rid of half. Some of it I have had for year and years. If I haven't used it yet then it's more than likely not going to get used. It will be charity shopped or go to the school. I also have doubles and extras of kitchen stuff. They have to go. My old heated blanket also doesn't get used so off that goes too. I can't imagine at the moment how much work getting rid of so much stuff over the months will take but it's getting me down having it here. I have gotten rid of piles of stuff in the past few months and can't remember what it was, so it obviously wasn't important was it?

I have a massive post for tomorrow which is related to finances for the rest of the year but bed is calling now.

No more messing about. Every detail of life will be focussed on.

Have a fab night all. P x

• Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 20th May 17, 11:55 PM
    • 752 Posts
    • 2,579 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    Just popped in to cheer you on.

I have my Mum's house to deal with - you have never seen so many ornaments, so much bedding, hundreds of books... so I do sympathise. I can't remember if you are following Marie Kondo's method but reading some of her stuff has helped me make decisions.

With regard to the fabric, another option might be to ebay it. Older fabrics are harder to come by and might be just what someone wants. It's a balance of time and money when it comes to deciding what to do with things like this.

Sleep well, I will read your big finance post with interest!
    • abba1772
    • By abba1772 21st May 17, 9:12 AM
    • 3,875 Posts
    • 11,227 Thanks
    abba1772
    Hi parsniphead

I'm currently on a semi decluttering spree mostly toiletries / unwanted gift sets as the playgroup I run is doing a tombola for the fun day next month it's amazing how much stuff / gifts we just put away in the cupboards and forget about them................I've cleared a black bag out my house
    NEXT TARGET HALIFAX CC WAS July 17 £3572.57 NOW £5364.81
    POAMAYC 2011 £6382.66 POAMAYC 2012 £5000.78
    POAMAYC 2013 £3480.04 POAMAYC 2014 £4085.14
    POAMAYC 2015 £7565.24 POAMAYC 2016 £8000.90
    POAMAYC 2017 £4908.50 / £6000
    • Bobarella
    • By Bobarella 21st May 17, 9:36 AM
    • 10,476 Posts
    • 69,558 Thanks
    Bobarella
    Thanks Bob. I'm trying to keep focussed.

I have just typed a long message and lost it.

I have been focussed on money, work and beings no the present so haven't had time to come on really. I have been taking a long look at how I'm living my life and realised I need to make some big changes.

Money. I can't cut any more so making extra money has to be my focus. If I cut any more then my quality of life will start to be seriously impacted. I need to keep bringing in as much extra work as possible. Paying off my debt is a priority.

Secondly I have to deal with the house. I have been reading a blog where they had got rid of 50% of there possessions in three or so months. Then they continued to go through stuff afterwards. Tomorrow I'm going to look through my fabric stash and get rid of half. Some of it I have had for year and years. If I haven't used it yet then it's more than likely not going to get used. It will be charity shopped or go to the school. I also have doubles and extras of kitchen stuff. They have to go. My old heated blanket also doesn't get used so off that goes too. I can't imagine at the moment how much work getting rid of so much stuff over the months will take but it's getting me down having it here. I have gotten rid of piles of stuff in the past few months and can't remember what it was, so it obviously wasn't important was it?

I have a massive post for tomorrow which is related to finances for the rest of the year but bed is calling now.

No more messing about. Every detail of life will be focussed on.

Have a fab night all. P x
    I found Mins Game amazing a few years back. You get rid of 1 thing on day 1, rising to 31 things on day 31. I think if you do it right it adds up to 400 odd things each time you play.

• parsniphead
    • By parsniphead 21st May 17, 10:01 AM
    • 2,222 Posts
    • 14,086 Thanks
    parsniphead
    Just popped in to cheer you on.

I have my Mum's house to deal with - you have never seen so many ornaments, so much bedding, hundreds of books... so I do sympathise. I can't remember if you are following Marie Kondo's method but reading some of her stuff has helped me make decisions.

With regard to the fabric, another option might be to ebay it. Older fabrics are harder to come by and might be just what someone wants. It's a balance of time and money when it comes to deciding what to do with things like this.

Sleep well, I will read your big finance post with interest!
    Originally posted by Cherryfudge
    You work so hard at sorting your mums house cherry. It's such a difficult thing to do at a sad time.
    I've thought of ebay but have a problem with paypal. Perhaps I should just register with them.

Hi parsniphead

I'm currently on a semi decluttering spree mostly toiletries / unwanted gift sets as the playgroup I run is doing a tombola for the fun day next month it's amazing how much stuff / gifts we just put away in the cupboards and forget about them................I've cleared a black bag out my house
    Originally posted by abba1772
    I'm surprised you have any clutter Abba, you always seem to be sorting stuff out.

I found Mins Game amazing a few years back. You get rid of 1 thing on day 1, rising to 31 things on day 31. I think if you do it right it adds up to 400 odd things each time you play.
    Originally posted by Bobarella
    That sounds like something to focus on Bob. I did a 30 bags (carrier bags) in 30 days which helped but the more I get rid of the more I seem to have. I have a lot on on the next few weeks so after a big throw out today I may continue with mins game after that. It will keep me focussed until I can go at it hard again.

I have been busy this morning. I have put out washing, done more washing, put that out and put another load in. Bit like washing Hokey Cokey. I also had a huge pile of washing up to do. I never have much washing up to do in a morning but the past two days have been stupid. It will be done before bed tonight.

I have some washing to put away which I'm going to do in a minute then remake beds with fresh bed linen.

I also have a decision. I have 10 large bath sheets which take up a huge amount of space. I worry about getting rid of some incase I don't have enough to keep me going which often happens as I only use them once before washing. I see things about towels being changed weekly. Does anyone do this. Is single use then washing silly? If I used them twice the. I could get rid of some. No wonder I have so much stuff if each decision takes so much thought.

Back with financial thoughts later. P x

• doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 21st May 17, 10:07 AM
    • 1,996 Posts
    • 9,137 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    I empathise. This is where I was when I started to look at extra income streams and started teaching, but you are a talented maker can't you use this somehow to up the income? many makers undercharge I don't know if this applies to you? could you advertise in different places/ just a few thoughts you've probably already considered...
    JANUARY 2016/SECURED DEBT=24,822/September 2017=5,250
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 21st May 17, 10:11 AM
    • 752 Posts
    • 2,579 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    I've thought of ebay but have a problem with paypal. Perhaps I should just register with them.
    We have a separate bank account with a float in to back up Paypal, so if the money that accumulates in paypal isn't enough for what we want to spend, it automatically takes from the bank, but it's separate from our main finances though with the same bank so it's easy to transfer money.

We've had the paypal for years and I don't think we've ever had a problem, but hopefully keeping it fenced off would limit the damage if ever something went wrong.
    • parsniphead
    • By parsniphead 21st May 17, 10:45 AM
    • 2,222 Posts
    • 14,086 Thanks
    parsniphead
    We have a separate bank account with a float in to back up Paypal, so if the money that accumulates in paypal isn't enough for what we want to spend, it automatically takes from the bank, but it's separate from our main finances though with the same bank so it's easy to transfer money.

We've had the paypal for years and I don't think we've ever had a problem, but hopefully keeping it fenced off would limit the damage if ever something went wrong.
    Originally posted by Cherryfudge
    I had an email a while back about confirming details. I went onto the site, not via the email, and tried to sort it but it just kept going round in circles. I have spent ages trying to sort it but nothing works. Recently my old card came to its expiry date so I may try to re register again.

I empathise. This is where I was when I started to look at extra income streams and started teaching, but you are a talented maker can't you use this somehow to up the income? many makers undercharge I don't know if this applies to you? could you advertise in different places/ just a few thoughts you've probably already considered...
    Originally posted by doingitanyway
    I do make things for people but need to make more time to do this to be honest. With DS time can be limited so I have to work around that too. You are right about charging. It's someting I do need to work on. If people want handmade then they should expect to pay for it. It would be nice to do some teaching again too.

• Eager_Elephant
    • By Eager_Elephant 21st May 17, 1:25 PM
    • 4,109 Posts
    • 22,158 Thanks
    Eager_Elephant

I also have a decision. I have 10 large bath sheets which take up a huge amount of space. I worry about getting rid of some incase I don't have enough to keep me going which often happens as I only use them once before washing. I see things about towels being changed weekly. Does anyone do this. Is single use then washing silly? If I used them twice the. I could get rid of some. No wonder I have so much stuff if each decision takes so much thought.

Back with financial thoughts later. P x
    You have been busy Parsnip!!

I think the more you declutter and get rid of the obvious unwanted things the more it makes you question the wanted things hence the never ending quest to declutter.

I wash my towels weekly - there is 3 of us here and we have an abundance of towels.
    DH has 1 towel which he uses all week. DD and I have 2 towels each as we have a smaller towel for drying our hair.

AS long as the towels are hung on the airer or back of the bedroom chair each time they are used they don't smell and you would be hard pressed to even tell we had been using them.
    The same cannot be said of DD who likes to cover towels in make up - she now has some hand towels which she can wipe her face on!! Plus she has a habit of leaving her towels on the bedroom floor for the cat to sleep on - the threat of her not having any towels has put a stop to this for now

I think you could start with using each towel twice and then maybe in a few weeks go to every 3 days and so on until you either get to weekly or a point where its grossing you out
    Ninja Saving Turtle No. 33 for October
    NSD - 0/18
    (up to 01/10/17)
    My Diary is here - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2175629 (Eager Elephants Effective Everyday Excursion)
    • in need of direction
    • By in need of direction 23rd May 17, 7:12 AM
    • 4,645 Posts
    • 26,094 Thanks
    in need of direction
    I wash towels after each use, dd doesn't but leaves them in a variety of places. Not good. I do however ranger roll them as this reduces the space they take up. I think it's a kondo term and am sure google can provide instructions.
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83 today £79,993.50, target £75,000 by 31/12/17 Offset fund today £4,035.43 target £5,500 by 31/12/17
    Emergency fund £5k/5.5k & £90/200 cash.
    Current weight loss 6/34 by 28 feb 2018
    determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes.
    Progress not perfection.
    • parsniphead
    • By parsniphead 23rd May 17, 10:35 AM
    • 2,222 Posts
    • 14,086 Thanks
    parsniphead
    Thank you for your replies. They are appreciated...

But today my thoughts go out to all affected in manchester. So, so, so sad.

Kiss your loved ones tonight.

Ali xxx

• parsniphead
    • By parsniphead 27th May 17, 10:37 PM
    • 2,222 Posts
    • 14,086 Thanks
    parsniphead
    Tonight I have made a start on DS's bedrooms.we only spent half an hour pottering but the difference is amazing. Tomorrow we will continue with it and make the room one he is happy to be in. I seem to have started to come out of the other side when it comes to emotional hoarding. There will not be another one so the old stuff needs to go.

I have also made a mini start on the sewing room. This will be continued on the coming week off.

Regarding money my car insurance is due for renewal tomorrow. My renewal quote was £418 . Today I shopped around and renewed for £305 . I have paid it fully, no more monthly DD's for car insurance for me.

It's payday on Wednesday. I need to set strict budgets which I will do tomorrow. No more messing around for me.

Hopefully the weather will be ok tomorrow. I have some more seeds to plant and plants to transplant. It may not be as good as I wanted to its something.

I also have more sewing work to do. The money and business is building bit by bit. . It's been a long time since I have felt as positive as I do.

I'm still working on my big financials. I keep rejigging and changing stuff. I will be on with it soon I promise.

It's been a strange week. One to put life into perspective. Whatever the state of our lives things could be a lot worse eh?

Have a good night all.

P x

• Bobarella
    • By Bobarella 28th May 17, 8:41 AM
    • 10,476 Posts
    • 69,558 Thanks
    Bobarella
    Hi Parsniphead

On the towels front, we wash every few days. I have done it more frequently when there has been reason to (like bugs or germs)

Hope you are well.

Bob

• UncannyScot
    • By UncannyScot 4th Jun 17, 8:36 AM
    • 711 Posts
    • 3,336 Thanks
    UncannyScot
    Hi Parsniphead,
    Thanks for popping by my diary
    Following you and look forward to your updates
    BUGGRITMILLENIUMHANDANDSHRIMP I TOLD EM! - Foul Ole Ron
    It is important that we know where we come from, because if you do not know where you come from, then you do not know where you are, and if you don't know where you are, then you don't know where you are going. If you don't know where you're going, you're probably going wrong.
    R.I.P. T.P.
    • parsniphead
    • By parsniphead 4th Jun 17, 1:31 PM
    • 2,222 Posts
    • 14,086 Thanks
    parsniphead
    Thank you Bob and UncannyScot for your comments.

Another sad day out there. My thoughts go out to everyone affected once again by the hate of others.

I wasn't going to post but decided to do so.

I have been off work this week. To be honest I have been so focused on DS that I haven't done much else. I did have plans but they got lost in chaos.

The house is still cluttered, very cluttered but I'm working through it slowly. I have ben reading Stuffocation for the past few days which has made me reasses what I what. It's not a writing style which I'm flying through but I am enjoying it.

Money needs lots of work. I still have self employed work coming in which is helping but more is needed to keep me heading towards a debt free status.

My garden is beginning to come to life but my salad leaf has greenfly. . I have never had this happen before. I will need to get it sorted.

Re the towels I have been using them a couple of times before washing and I'm still here. My goodness it's cut down on the washing so much.

I have three weeks left at work with students and a week at work to do admin which is funny as I only do a register which takes about half an hour. I think I will use the rest of time to make financial plans for the rest of the year. I want to get as much done before this time as possible. I need to use the three weeks I'm not at work and DS is at school to get as much done as I can.

Right DS is up to no good. Need to dash. Back later.
    Last edited by parsniphead; 04-06-2017 at 1:38 PM.

• parsniphead
    • By parsniphead 10th Jun 17, 9:00 AM
    • 2,222 Posts
    • 14,086 Thanks
    parsniphead
    Morning diary.

I seem to have succumbed to the title of my diary and now find myself back at day one. At least from this point I will be moving forward.

Money is a mess, mainly due to DS's birthday party. I should have planned this as I knew I was doing it for a long time, but no. Also I have nothing put back for the summer when I'm not being paid. I will currently be living on takings from my business.

Diaries inspire me so much but I have got behind on reading them. I'm going to spend some time this weekend catching up. They keep me going.

The house, oh the house. What a mess. I know I have DS's birthday presents but that's a small amount. I have to sort this as its getting me down. I have visited 8 different houses as part of my business recently and each and every one is clean, tidy, uncluttered and therefore feels calm. They are normal, everyday, working people. Not posh folks with help. I don't know why mine is so abnormal but it has to change.

Today I'm going to catch up on my washing. It's not too bad but needs not to get out of control. I will get rid of the clutter in the kitchen and clean it. The same with the bathroom. Get rid of the clutter on the stairs and finally finish one piece of paid for work.

Oh and I need to keep DS entertained.

I may need to revisit the plans at the end of the weekend and possibly pull a sickie on Monday. My business work will bring in much more money than a days formal work. It's not ideal but I have to get things done.

• Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 10th Jun 17, 9:19 AM
    • 752 Posts
    • 2,579 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    It's horribly disheartening, isn't it, when the house is a tip. Mine is just slightly less of one than it was the other day... but only slightly. I need to put time and effort in but time and effort are going elsewhere.

A small, clean space will do wonders for your sense of being in control. From there you can target other areas. My personal 'must do' is the bathroom because I always think that if visitors have to use it then firstly they won't be thinking 'Ee-oo' in disgust and secondly they will somehow believe that's the true (tranquil, orderly) state of my house and the mess must be temporary because who would tidy and clean the bathroom when visitors wouldn't necessarily see it? If you followed all that, well done.

I hope the house obliges and you don't need to pull a sickie on Monday - more likely go back to work for a rest! I do see what you mean about it paying better, though. Might it be worth considering cutting your paid hours to concentrate on your own business?
    • hex2
    • By hex2 10th Jun 17, 9:22 AM
    • 4,683 Posts
    • 79,661 Thanks
    hex2
    Good to see you updating here. I feel better and motivated when I read diaries and see what others are doing.

Absolutely agree on house, How do people do it? I feel like such a failure when I come back and actually look at mine. 'Oh don't look, its such a mess!' Amateurs
    'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need' Marcus Tullius Cicero
    • Eager_Elephant
    • By Eager_Elephant 10th Jun 17, 9:39 AM
    • 4,109 Posts
    • 22,158 Thanks
    Eager_Elephant
    I feel the same Parsnip - I permanently live in a state of CHAOS and I blinkin' hate it but can't seem to do anything about it.

Luckily we have 2 big dogs so if someone calls by like someone from the village I talk to them on the doorstep while the dogs bark behind me (the reality is that they are big softies and wouldn't hurt a fly).
    The only people who enter are people who have contacted me beforehand - I'm talking weeks here and still the day before I run about cleaning and tidying the house.

In the holidays DD wanted friends over which I agreed to as I had worked all week while she laid in bed all week (she is 14 though) and it took 2 days of cleaning from her and hours and hours of my time to get the house just looking presentable - it wasn't even immaculate. I know she spent a lot of time on her bedroom but the rest of the house looked was bad and of course as teenagers do they wander all through the house so every room had to be done.

I started reading A Slob Comes Cleans which you recommended as the way her mind works is so me.
    I am reading from the start and she is adding to her non-negotiable daily tasks still - this is stuff that normal people do every day but I leave until it has built up into a huge job. One example is the kitchen floor - she now sweeps everyday even if there is hardly anything on the floor and it takes 2 minutes maximum but before (and this is what I do) you let it build up for weeks so it takes 20-30 mins to tidy the stuff off the floor, then sweep it and then wash it thereby feeling like housework takes over your life.

I need to work better and smarter at home and need to practice what I have been reading.

Sorry for my ramble but it really hit a nerve with me.

Hope you get lots done today.

I am having a coffee and then about to carry on tidying as DS is back from Uni for the summer today and I want the house to be tidy. Normally it looks a tip and I know he knows that how we live but I just want to come back to a tidy house for once.
    Ninja Saving Turtle No. 33 for October
    NSD - 0/18
    (up to 01/10/17)
    My Diary is here - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2175629 (Eager Elephants Effective Everyday Excursion)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

199Posts Today

1,493Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin