Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • parsniphead
    • By parsniphead 5th Jun 16, 4:45 PM
    • 1,883Posts
    • 12,279Thanks
    parsniphead
    The end of procrastination and disorganisation.......
    • 5th Jun 16, 4:45 PM
    The end of procrastination and disorganisation....... 5th Jun 16 at 4:45 PM
    .............and the above are the reasons for virtually all of my problems in the past and present, be it debt, weight, careers and the state of the house.

I have plans, big plans which I don't have time to pop on here right now, but I intend to use this diary to sort me out once and for all.

It's going to be fun.....a real step into the unknown.

I can't wait.
    Pay off debt by Christmas 2017 #22 - £1012.22/£7148.39 14%
    June Grocery Challenge £0/£180
    I have already lost touch with a couple of people I used to be. Joan Didion
Page 11
    • parsniphead
    • By parsniphead 14th Apr 17, 7:02 AM
    • 1,883 Posts
    • 12,279 Thanks
    parsniphead
    Morning diary

I forgot to reset my alarm and it went off at 5am. My first chance of a lie in an I mess it up. Never mind bins are out and washing is in so far.

One of my aims when I'm consumer debt free is to attack the mortgage. Its not a debt I worry about too much because if I didn't have a mortgage I would have rent, so payments whatever. It would be nice though to have it gone.

Whether people think its right or not, and I know posters on the site fall into one camp or another quite strongly, the consumer debt is mine. This is from long before I met DH so nothing to do with him. I pay it all.

The mortgage was all mine until he moved in. That's split in two. we currently have a balance of £37500 ( not including interest) on the mortgage, which in the grand scheme of things is not a huge amount. When I first joined MSE under another name I had £30000 plus of consumer debt and a £66000 mortgage. and I was single.

£18750 (plus interest) is my half of the mortgage.. Not a massive amount and looking back at where I was years back its nothing really.

But before I can hit this the consumer debt needs to be gone. Also by the time it is gone the above figure will be lower.

I haven't had an overdraught for about 4 years but the past few months have been difficult so I had to apply for £150 which has been used. Yesterday I looked at my account and if I can completely reign in spending for the remainder of the month it will be gone again. I want this gone, I don't like it being there as it makes me feel like I'm sliding backwards. I've been a little obsessed with this site for the past month and I think its helped focus my mind more. I have money on my mind constantly.

I also got more info about my new second current account yesterday. I'm so excited at the prospect of using my money differently. I think its really going to help. If only it wasn't a bank holiday weekend. It will take forever for the card and bits to come.

One naughty thing I did was buy a lovely new purse. Mum gave me some money the other day to spend on me and I had spent it on debt. I felt bad later so have changed my mind and decided to treat myself for once. So I may get some new foundation too. I also still have a voucher for a local beautician from mothers day before last. I'm going to see her for a manicure.

One last win was I got a nice, nearly new duvet cover and pillow cases from mum, and it matches my room. She said it keeps sliding off her bed and its driving her mad so gave it to me. I think she wriggles too much.

Today the debt free quest continues. More gardening, some sewing and more pondering. Oh and I will probably return later waffling.

Have a good day.

P x
    Last edited by parsniphead; 14-04-2017 at 7:05 AM.
    • in need of direction
    • By in need of direction 14th Apr 17, 8:43 AM
    • 4,319 Posts
    • 24,128 Thanks
    in need of direction
    If my mum gives me money as a gift, she hounds me until I can specify what, for me, thing or service it funded. Having had 7 children, she knows just how easy it is for money to evaporate.
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83 today £82,269.82, target £75,000 by 31/12/17 Offset fund today £3,955.43 target £5,500 by 31/12/17
    Emergency fund £5.5k & £200 cash.
    determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes.
    Progress not perfection.
    • parsniphead
    • By parsniphead 14th Apr 17, 8:53 AM
    • 1,883 Posts
    • 12,279 Thanks
    parsniphead
    7. I struggle with 1. What a woman.

Its too easy to keep putting everyone before us but if we dont look after ourselves, how can we look after others.
    • parsniphead
    • By parsniphead 15th Apr 17, 2:21 PM
    • 1,883 Posts
    • 12,279 Thanks
    parsniphead
    I'm really struggling today. I have zero energy and struggling to put one foot infront of the other. I hate it when this lethargy strikes and feel like hiding under the duvet. No chance of that with a 5 year old.

My new bank account card has arrived so come payday i can begin to plan again.

Today i hate how debt drags on.
    • abba1772
    • By abba1772 15th Apr 17, 2:59 PM
    • 3,498 Posts
    • 9,044 Thanks
    abba1772
    Hope you've perked up a bit I hate when the fatigue hits me too it's horrible xx
    NEXT TARGET HALIFAX CC WAS £3308.35 NOW £3308.35
    POAMAYC 2011 £6382.66 POAMAYC 2012 £5000.78
    POAMAYC 2013 £3480.04 POAMAYC 2014 £4085.14
    POAMAYC 2015 £7565.24 POAMAYC 2016 £8000.90
    POAMAYC 2017 £2802.67 / £6000
    • parsniphead
    • By parsniphead 16th Apr 17, 5:13 PM
    • 1,883 Posts
    • 12,279 Thanks
    parsniphead
    Thanks abba. I was forced to perk up when DS nagged for me to go on the trampoline with him. I thought I was going to drop.

I'm a bit more energetic today, though I did doze off at mums house this afternoon. I have been reading a book called 'Manage your home without losing your mind'. I have found it helpful as its written by a self co fessed slob rather than a super organiser. It has given me some ideas and insight as to why I don't get anywhere with decluttering. A change of routine is needed. I could head over to flylady but I'm scared.

Money is stagnant until payday except for paying in a huge pile of change into my new account later this week. I have some washable nappies to sell but where they used to keep good value, the bottom seems to have dropped out of the market (no pun intended).

The garden has been abandoned for the past few days as it feels like autumn is returning. Go away grey skys, come back spring.
    • parsniphead
    • By parsniphead 16th Apr 17, 10:27 PM
    • 1,883 Posts
    • 12,279 Thanks
    parsniphead
    Bit of a waffling day today, sorry.

I don't know if I have been hypnotised by the book I mentioned earlier but I seem to have transformed my kitchen tonight. Its not perfect but it looks amazing compared to earlier today.

I'm also looking at the clutter in a different way. Once of the methods mentioned was to do the easy stuff first and also focus on visible areas. Common sense I guess but I have always tried to focus on the difficult areas but never made any headway.

So tomorrow I will focus on the stairs, the top of my wardrobe, clutter in the hall and any bits of clutter in the bedroom.

The difficult areas are the cellar , the work room, a walk in cupboard in my bedroom, the spare bedroom and the most difficult DS's room.

DS's stuff will be the most difficult. I get so emotional about his stuff but 5yrs worth is becoming unmanageable. He doesn't deserve to live like this anymore....and he referred to our house as scruffy. OUCH.

Its not always easy but we learn as we live don't we.
    • parsniphead
    • By parsniphead 17th Apr 17, 11:02 AM
    • 1,883 Posts
    • 12,279 Thanks
    parsniphead
    HELP. SOMEONE SEEMS TO HAVE STOLEN ME AND REPLACED ME WITH SOMEONE ELSE.

Sorry for the dramatics but something has definately switched in my head as I have been cleaning and decluttering this morning. The bedroom is looking fab, the kitchen is looking better, but still needs a good steam clean. I have no extractor fan (they weren't invented when my 60's kitchen was installed) and they do make such a difference. Also I have so far used a whole can of polish. Luckily I have another one to hand.

I can start to see a difference in my house

I still have to tackle the sentimental stuff at some time though.

The stairs are the next area of attack and to be honest they won't take too long. Then the top of the wardrobe. Some sentimental stuff there.

Tomorrow I'm setting my alarm for 5am, my usual time and getting some done before DS awakes. I'm feeling very positive about what I'm achieving.

One decision taken is that I'm going to keep a set of cleaning stuff upstairs to use during my 30 minutes waiting time before taking DS to work in the morning. I live in a terraced house so the bathroom is downstairs so never thought of keeping a set upstairs.

Right off to do some work now.

Have a good day everyone. X
    Last edited by parsniphead; 17-04-2017 at 11:09 AM.
    • abba1772
    • By abba1772 17th Apr 17, 11:08 AM
    • 3,498 Posts
    • 9,044 Thanks
    abba1772
    Go you.....you can come do my house lol

I'm having a lazy morning as was up til 11pm til washing my downstairs carpets it's was disgusting how many times I had to empty the carpet cleaner of dirty black water the difference is amazing xx
    • parsniphead
    • By parsniphead 17th Apr 17, 11:14 AM
    • 1,883 Posts
    • 12,279 Thanks
    parsniphead
    You're always scrubbing your house, I would make it worse.

I rented a Rug D0ctor before Christmas. Oh the shame, I'm sure the water was mud not dirt. I'm going to get it again a week on Friday when DS goes back to school. I can't wait, even DH enjoyed using it.
    • hex2
    • By hex2 17th Apr 17, 4:08 PM
    • 4,654 Posts
    • 79,292 Thanks
    hex2
    Hi Parsniphead!

The flylady people are usually very friendly, although I rarely do more than lurk. Like the sound of the book, one to add to my list.

I always fancy trying the rug doctor too.
    'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need' Marcus Tullius Cicero
    • parsniphead
    • By parsniphead 17th Apr 17, 7:43 PM
    • 1,883 Posts
    • 12,279 Thanks
    parsniphead
    Hello Hex2

The book seems to have made me look at things very differently and the difference today is noticeable.

The rug doctor machines are fab. I had used a few. Vaxs eyc but found tbem useless. This one realy did the job. It was worth every penny.

Today i realised i quite like housework??????????????
    • Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 17th Apr 17, 8:31 PM
    • 2,401 Posts
    • 19,301 Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    Today i realised i quite like housework??????????????
    Originally posted by parsniphead
    Moving Costs: 100% Mortgage: 25% remaining House Deposit Contribution: 64%

"It is possible to move mountains by carrying small stones."
    • in need of direction
    • By in need of direction 17th Apr 17, 11:21 PM
    • 4,319 Posts
    • 24,128 Thanks
    in need of direction
    Is there something that you're trying to avoid?
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83 today £82,269.82, target £75,000 by 31/12/17 Offset fund today £3,955.43 target £5,500 by 31/12/17
    Progress not perfection.
    • parsniphead
    • By parsniphead 18th Apr 17, 7:06 AM
    • 1,883 Posts
    • 12,279 Thanks
    parsniphead
    Originally posted by Fortune Smiles
    I know.

Is there something that you're trying to avoid?
    Originally posted by in need of direction
    Shame, fleas, breaking my leg when I trip over something, stress, confusion.

Seriously I know what you mean. I have spent too many years paralysed by fear. Fear of debt, fear of the unknown/future, fear of life. Coupled with being disorganised and a awful procrastinator the added mess doesn't add anything positive to anything. Oh to add to it I'm a waiter. I wait around for things to change, wait around for permission to do things. Wait, wait, wait.

I'm sick to death of living like this. It's easier to live in a clean, tidy, clutter free house. Just by being in rooms which have been completed has shown me this. One negative is that it the other rooms are really causing me to feel stressed with the mess.

I have too much to do without this hanging over my head so it HAS to be done. It's too overwhelming for it not to be done. If it's not done all the problems with the house will just continue to get worse.

I was so excited when I mangaed to buy my house. It was scary too as I was on my own but it was something I wanted. It's was and is definately a project house, which is also what I wanted. It's a shame I didn't think about what it would cost. I'm trying to rekindle some of that excitement.

I deserve a nice place to live and it's no different to what most people do on a daily basis. Apparently there are no cleaning fairies.

This morning I have vacuumed, cleaned a window which was appealing and has been annoying me for months, put some washing in and painted a test patch on the hall. I want to get it painted today so I can get the old, horrible, stinking carpet up which the cat has recently started to use as a toilet. This problem has now been sorted by the way.It stinks and I don't want us to stink.

When the painting is done I'm going to clean and varnish the floorboards. It's something I have wanted to do for a long time but didn't get around to it. IF there are any more accidents then it can be moped and disinfected. It has got me wanting a console table though but that will have to wait.

Today won't be a NSD. I need more polish, bleach, surface cleaner and disinfectant. I have managed to use every drop of everything.

Have a good day all.
    • abba1772
    • By abba1772 18th Apr 17, 8:16 AM
    • 3,498 Posts
    • 9,044 Thanks
    abba1772
    Sounds like you have a busy day ahead of you........know what you mean about a project house, I can safely say ours was a project house too and it cost a fortune to do up xx
    • hex2
    • By hex2 18th Apr 17, 11:05 AM
    • 4,654 Posts
    • 79,292 Thanks
    hex2
    We are a project house too, bought at top end of budget and then things didn't quite go to plan.

I've always felt slightly guilty about renting a rug doctor as we have an ancient vax washer but it doesn't really remove the dirt.

Trouble with the cat mess is that it soaks through to the underlay. One of ours was incontinent towards the end and I despair that the house probably smells of it although I have mostly gone nose blind.

I'm impressed with your transformation, but also impressed that you need to buy more cleaning stuff.
    'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need' Marcus Tullius Cicero
    • in need of direction
    • By in need of direction 18th Apr 17, 11:31 PM
    • 4,319 Posts
    • 24,128 Thanks
    in need of direction
    Keep at it. You are going great guns.
    Progress not perfection.
    • parsniphead
    • By parsniphead 19th Apr 17, 1:48 PM
    • 1,883 Posts
    • 12,279 Thanks
    parsniphead
    Sounds like you have a busy day ahead of you........know what you mean about a project house, I can safely say ours was a project house too and it cost a fortune to do up xx
    Originally posted by abba1772
    Yes it's difficult. Especially when you're as disorganised as I am. I've been at if for the past 15 years. How many different decisions I would have taken in hindsight.

We are a project house too, bought at top end of budget and then things didn't quite go to plan.

I've always felt slightly guilty about renting a rug doctor as we have an ancient vax washer but it doesn't really remove the dirt.

Trouble with the cat mess is that it soaks through to the underlay. One of ours was incontinent towards the end and I despair that the house probably smells of it although I have mostly gone nose blind.

I'm impressed with your transformation, but also impressed that you need to buy more cleaning stuff.
    Originally posted by hex2
    Yes. See above. I had proper house buying goggles on and didn't engage my brain regarding the costs of doing it up.

Keep at it. You are going great guns.
    Originally posted by in need of direction
    I will do. I need to.

Today's has been very up and down. DS had a full on autistic meltdown in T3scos this morning. I ended up sitting on the floor of the wine aisle, trying to hug him through it and crying in public. Something I have never done it before. Never mind. Time to move on.

This afternoon I have applied to transfer my mortgage with the same supplier and would save £50 per monthly payment. It my money saving haze I didn't notice the 3% transfer fee. When the documents come I have 14 days to decide. I may not go through with it.

It seems that in my panic to get rid of debt I do things without thinking it through. I wonder how I got into debt.

The bedroom and kitchen are still tidy but the rest of the house is lagging behind. I'm taking DS to park in a while then when I come back will continue with the big house sort out if I can find some energy. This morning has really wiped me out.

Universe please furnish me with a brain, some energy and some guts.
    • hex2
    • By hex2 19th Apr 17, 2:08 PM
    • 4,654 Posts
    • 79,292 Thanks
    hex2
    Much sympathy from me on the meltdown, it's really hard just having to suck it all in.

If it helps you have inspired me to get on instead of just despairing at the house. I've booked a long avoided oven clean for next week which means as a minimum the back hall, kitchen and cloakroom must be fit to be seen. I can't book the rug doctor till enough carpet is visible to make it worthwhile. I've hand scrubbed the back hall floor instead of just taking the surface dirt off with the steam mop. I've downloaded the sample chapter to read later.

Maybe work out the break even point on the mortgage transfer? I worked it out for the credit card and thought the reduced stress was worth the fee, and as it happens it worked out cheaper for us.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,912Posts Today

8,952Users online

Martin's Twitter