Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

• baggers02
    • By baggers02 3rd Jun 16, 7:59 PM
    • 125Posts
    • 40Thanks
    Contactless cards
    • 3rd Jun 16, 7:59 PM
    Contactless cards 3rd Jun 16 at 7:59 PM
    I have a Club LLoyds account and my debit card is not contactless - I've been told by them this is a credit rating thing and as contactless payments can not be authorised real time there is the potential for people going overdrawn etc.

Today I received a contactless prepaid mastercard - so clearly the line about the contactless payments not being able to be authorised in real time is a bit of a porky.

So in reality is this just an excuse to offer a degraded service to customers with a lower credit rating or do the banks really have an issue doing this?
Page 2
    • Paul_1977
    • By Paul_1977 4th Jun 16, 6:53 PM
    • 951 Posts
    • 297 Thanks
    Just had a new CC from HSBC, it was NOT contactless. Current account card was.

That is the way I wanted it, so I don't have to worry about card clash on the tube.
    • Anthorn
    • By Anthorn 13th Oct 16, 8:43 PM
    • 2,184 Posts
    • 571 Thanks
    The mistake everyone is making is attempting to inject some form of sense and reason to Lloyds Bank's decisions. Like Apple putting a measly 1.2 MP front camera on the SE, the decisions of Lloyds Bank do not make sense. I suspect that they do it just to confuse everyone.

In my own experience they gave me a credit card with 1,200 limit and a Classic current account with contactless debit card but refused a 300 planned overdraft facility. At that point I switched to Natwest.

The moral of the story is if you don't like them vacate the premises because you aint gonna get no joy!
    Lloyds Bank Platinum 10.9%
    Amex Platinum Cashback Everyday 22.9%
    The American Express Card
    TSB Classic Plus | Natwest Reward
    Rainy day fund - target 3000 - latest total 3400
    Average total credit limit used = 24%
    • Kim_13
    • By Kim_13 13th Oct 16, 9:02 PM
    • 838 Posts
    • 810 Thanks
    It's strange sometimes. I've got Contactless from Capital One, NatWest, Tesco, Nationwide, Halifax (not that I want it.) Yet TSB wouldn't give me it. Typical.
    Sealed Pot Challenge #9 No. 520 ~ ?/100
    Virtual Sealed Pot Challenge 2016 ~ #9 134.22/250.00
    Completely Crazy Clothes Challenge 2016 ~ Approx 249.99/240.00
    Emergency Fund #170 ~ 300
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,269Posts Today

4,271Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Thank you for all your kind wishes.Not sure now if it's a hamstring tear now. Feels like very bad cramp in the back of my thigh

• RT @MSE_Deals: Psssst! Sneak preview of tomorrow's email deals NOW... On @MartinSLewis's Facebook: (pls help us spo?

• He tried to refuse the fare and tip I refused to be refused and said he should tree should put it in a charity tin

• Follow Martin