Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • kimplus8
    • By kimplus8 2nd Jun 16, 9:38 AM
    • 614Posts
    • 1,987Thanks
    kimplus8
    Large single Parent Family getting Debt free
    • 2nd Jun 16, 9:38 AM
    Large single Parent Family getting Debt free 2nd Jun 16 at 9:38 AM
    Hi all,
    I'm kim Mumma to 8 beautiful babies.
    I have around £20k of debt excluding my Student loan and I want it all gone, I don't want to owe a single penny.
    I'm posting a SOA today and I need to get a car as mine has died and I need it to get the kids to 3 different childcare settings/school, busses are hourly so I either need a car or I will have to pay for wraparound care for 3 of my kids at a different setting to the others (lack of school places in my area also but all on waiting lists).
    I have a new starter to high school this year so dreading the uniform costs.
    I am supposed to get child support from the EX's but going through the process of CMS at the moment.
    thanks for looking at my diary xx
    Last edited by kimplus8; 07-09-2016 at 10:25 PM. Reason: updating
Page 26
    • kimplus8
    • By kimplus8 25th Sep 16, 9:50 AM
    • 614 Posts
    • 1,987 Thanks
    kimplus8
    We are with you in spirit, Kim. While it is a very good idea to be prepared for the move, you are allowed to take a day off, now and then. Your LL cannot make you leave without a court order, which takes time. You will find somewhere, with or without the council's help. Is it really not worth trying to contact someone you used to work with to see if they know anyone in the Housing dept. who might know of an LL/LA who would accept you?

It will get better. Don't know when but it will. Sending you hugs and love thoughts:
    Originally posted by Smodlet
    Unfortunately the departments are totally separate, I am sub contracted by the recycling department and housing is in a completely different building in another part of the city and they don't cross over.
    I am viewing 2 more houses tomorrow once I've done the school run.
    I'm trying to find somewhere before my bankruptcy is registered because once that on my credit file it makes it all much harder again.
    Single Momma, Member of £1000 Emergency fund Club Check out my Debt Free Diary
    • Smodlet
    • By Smodlet 25th Sep 16, 12:36 PM
    • 2,322 Posts
    • 4,802 Thanks
    Smodlet
    Sorry to hear that, Kim, shucks. Good luck with the viewings tomorrow.

S x
    What is this life if, sweet wordsmith, we have no time to take the pith?
    Every stew starts with the first onion.
    I took it upon myself to investigate a trifle; it had custard, jelly, soggy sponge things...
    • Bobarella
    • By Bobarella 12th Oct 16, 11:01 PM
    • 10,450 Posts
    • 69,680 Thanks
    Bobarella
    Hope your ok Kim.
    " Your vibe attracts your tribe"

Debt neutral 27/03/17 from £40k in the hole 2012.
    Roadkill 17 £56.58 2016-£62.28 2015- £84.20)
    RYSAW17 £1900 2016 £2,535.16 2015 £1027.20
    • Smodlet
    • By Smodlet 18th Oct 16, 3:47 PM
    • 2,322 Posts
    • 4,802 Thanks
    Smodlet
    I miss this thread and everyone o' y'all so much.
    I took it upon myself to investigate a trifle; it had custard, jelly, soggy sponge things...
    • Bobarella
    • By Bobarella 18th Oct 16, 10:39 PM
    • 10,450 Posts
    • 69,680 Thanks
    Bobarella
    I was wondering how Kim was getting on too. Hope baby is doing well (& mummy)

• kimplus8
    • By kimplus8 18th May 17, 4:22 PM
    • 614 Posts
    • 1,987 Thanks
    kimplus8
    Hi guys
    I've missed you sooooo much.
    The last 6 months has been so tough but I'm back and ready to get my budget on track!
    Smod and co- hope you are all well
    • kimplus8
    • By kimplus8 18th May 17, 4:23 PM
    • 614 Posts
    • 1,987 Thanks
    kimplus8
    Bobarella missed u too xx
    • kirtsypoos
    • By kirtsypoos 18th May 17, 4:36 PM
    • 3,092 Posts
    • 13,768 Thanks
    kirtsypoos
    I had been a lurker of your diary and am pleased to see you back Kim Hope all is well
    £150/3000 OH BC(95% PAID)
    PAID VERY, Barclaycard x2, Vanquis, Natwest, O/D, Tesco & MBNA x2 PAID LBM 24/07/15 - Debt: £150/31010.23 (99.51% paid)
    Mortgage - £161,000.00 (2017 O/P £3191.73) PAYDBX 17 #006 - £17,935.81/14,539.71
    • Spendless
    • By Spendless 18th May 17, 9:35 PM
    • 19,712 Posts
    • 31,857 Thanks
    Spendless
    Woohoo. Kim you're back. I'd looked a couple of times to see if you were over the past few months, but guessed you just became too busy with the baby. Any chance of an update on how you are all doing?
    • kimplus8
    • By kimplus8 18th May 17, 11:11 PM
    • 614 Posts
    • 1,987 Thanks
    kimplus8
    Hi spendless.
    Updating tomorrow, baby is screaming at me right now- he is cutting 4 teeth at once-owch!
    • Honeysucklelou2
    • By Honeysucklelou2 18th May 17, 11:31 PM
    • 512 Posts
    • 1,897 Thanks
    Honeysucklelou2
    Hi Kim

Good to see you back. Hope you and the children are ok.
    paydbx #90 £475/£10,000.
    Loan £17k - paid off in Aug 2017. Home improvement loans £3342 March 2017. £3206 in Oct 17
    • JustAboutThere
    • By JustAboutThere 19th May 17, 11:11 AM
    • 507 Posts
    • 2,150 Thanks
    JustAboutThere
    Glad to see you back on the forums and look forward to hearing how things are going for you and yours.
    • JVCAccountants
    • By JVCAccountants 19th May 17, 11:37 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    JVCAccountants
    its going to be tough but..
    Hi everyone, and especially Kim as she started this thread, I'm a newbie as just joined. but I run a firm of accountants and part of what I do is give people advice and some of that is about finance. So I thought I would share a tip for getting your debt under control.
    Probably if you review your budgets and finances you can squeeze a bit of money somewhere. you might forgo spending on one thing to pay for another thing ...but the key is to find some money that you can spend in a different way. If you are really up against it this might be £10, if not it might be £100 or more.
    Then rank your debts by interest rate - and choose the one with the highest interest rate. Then you spend that £10 or £100 extra, regularly each week or month, on repaying a little bit extra of that debt.
    Mathematically, you know that this is a good choice. if you have a credit card you are paying 30% interest on, then that £10 not only saves you some interest for that month, but for the remainder of your contract. And you have reduced the balance by a bit more than the payment you have paid to them anyway.
    £10 or £100 extra this week or month might not seem like a huge deal. but this really works!

Then when you have dealt with that debt, take the amount you would have paid off that debt and the £10 or £100 extra and use them both to help deal with the next debt. Don't fall into the trap of thinking you have more money to spend just because you have paid off one of your debts - keep spending the same amount of money to pay of the next debt. What this means is not only are you making your normal payment but now you are paying the same amount you were before but this time to pay off a different debt. meaning that you will pay it off much quicker.
    And then when that one is paid off, the amounts you were paying to the first two get added to the amount you are paying off your third debt, as so on.
    • smallholdingsister
    • By smallholdingsister 19th May 17, 1:04 PM
    • 3,557 Posts
    • 27,742 Thanks
    smallholdingsister
    Hello Kim. Welcome back!
    • kimplus8
    • By kimplus8 19th May 17, 1:20 PM
    • 614 Posts
    • 1,987 Thanks
    kimplus8
    hi ya'll.
    soooooo a quick update.
    Me: Bipolar is finally stable, im on a lovely cocktail of med now that stop the highs and lows from being so dramatic and I am no longer a paranoid wreck.
    I am working in a preschool voluntarily for a few hours a week to stay in some sort of work while little man is small and I am taking a year to get anchored and on the higher ground so I can see my future plans more clearly and not rush into any decisions.
    kids: all doing amazingly well, school reports have all been amazing and they are so much happier now.
    home: we are settled in a lovely 3 bed home that's really starting to feel like its ours.
    Money: is tight but the BR is going through and I am saving as much as I can (tho sometimes that's only a few £ per week) and im looking forwards to a life without all that debt around my neck.
    Church: amazing life at church, friendly church family, good worship and fellowship and I feel my relationship with Christ is stronger than ever.
    Ex's: not in my life and no longer a problem, paying adhoc child support but frankly I no longer worry about their actions as they are not in mine all the kids lives and we are all the better for it.
    mum: shes doing well and sees me and the kids most weekends, I have such a lovely relationship with my mum now that I am older and a bit wiser.
    you guys: ive missed you all so so much and I am so happy to be back on the forum.
    Stay happy and beautiful- lots of love K+8
    • Smodlet
    • By Smodlet 19th May 17, 3:03 PM
    • 2,322 Posts
    • 4,802 Thanks
    Smodlet
    KIM!!!! YOU'RE BACK!!!!! I expect you probably noticed that too, huh? Gods, I've missed you so much! Can't wait to hear your news, or that which you wish to share on 'ere (Where's Mila to correct my grammar?) Innit?

Smod xxx
    • kimplus8
    • By kimplus8 19th May 17, 7:37 PM
    • 614 Posts
    • 1,987 Thanks
    kimplus8
    KIM!!!! YOU'RE BACK!!!!! I expect you probably noticed that too, huh? Gods, I've missed you so much! Can't wait to hear your news, or that which you wish to share on 'ere (Where's Mila to correct my grammar?) Innit?

Smod xxx
    Originally posted by Smodlet
    ahhh smod!!!!!!!!!!!!! me miss u long time!
    im replying to your PM
    • Bobarella
    • By Bobarella 20th May 17, 12:58 AM
    • 10,450 Posts
    • 69,680 Thanks
    Bobarella
    hi ya'll.
    soooooo a quick update.
    Me: Bipolar is finally stable, im on a lovely cocktail of med now that stop the highs and lows from being so dramatic and I am no longer a paranoid wreck.
    I am working in a preschool voluntarily for a few hours a week to stay in some sort of work while little man is small and I am taking a year to get anchored and on the higher ground so I can see my future plans more clearly and not rush into any decisions.
    kids: all doing amazingly well, school reports have all been amazing and they are so much happier now.
    home: we are settled in a lovely 3 bed home that's really starting to feel like its ours.
    Money: is tight but the BR is going through and I am saving as much as I can (tho sometimes that's only a few £ per week) and im looking forwards to a life without all that debt around my neck.
    Church: amazing life at church, friendly church family, good worship and fellowship and I feel my relationship with Christ is stronger than ever.
    Ex's: not in my life and no longer a problem, paying adhoc child support but frankly I no longer worry about their actions as they are not in mine all the kids lives and we are all the better for it.
    mum: shes doing well and sees me and the kids most weekends, I have such a lovely relationship with my mum now that I am older and a bit wiser.
    you guys: ive missed you all so so much and I am so happy to be back on the forum.
    Stay happy and beautiful- lots of love K+8
    Originally posted by kimplus8
    What a wonderful update! So glad you are doing well.

• mandz1
    • By mandz1 20th May 17, 7:06 AM
    • 2,503 Posts
    • 10,888 Thanks
    mandz1
    glad youre doing well kim. Welcome back
    PAD Maker
    SPC 570
    • Smodlet
    • By Smodlet 20th May 17, 1:35 PM
    • 2,322 Posts
    • 4,802 Thanks
    Smodlet
    At the risk of sounding contentious when all any of us should be doing on this thread is rejoicing at your return, Kim, I cannot but think the post by JVCAccountants has the whiff of advertising to it. I hope this was not the intention since, as we all know, advertising is not allowed on this forum.

All your advice, JVCAccountants, while kindly meant, I'm sure, can be found all over this forum, notably here: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4895819
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

227Posts Today

1,547Users online

Martin's Twitter