Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Poor_Single_lady
    • By Poor_Single_lady 31st May 16, 2:36 PM
    • 1,053Posts
    • 3,944Thanks
    Poor_Single_lady
    Joined 31.05.16
    • 31st May 16, 2:36 PM
    Joined 31.05.16 31st May 16 at 2:36 PM
    Day 1. 31.5.16
    I hope I am posting in the right place. I need to keep a spending diary where its not just me that sees it. I have around £14,500 in debt. This is split over 5 different lenders.

£2450 Bankloan
    £3225 0% credit card
    £3620 0% credit card
    £2500 overdraft
    £2800 credit card 18%

I have a lot of outgoings, live on my own (mortgage) recently had some expensive home improvements which I think were essential.

I am slowly paying things off but one of my biggest battles is with my best friends who seem to be constantly putting pressure on me to do expensive things and get upset when i cant - making my battle twice as hard. Does anyone else have this issue or is it just me.

My other main worry is that if my parents ever found out they would be heartbroken, I am 30 and shouldn't have let this happen. Im keeping my diary and working hard to fix. Day 1.
Page 52
    • Poor_Single_lady
    • By Poor_Single_lady 7th Oct 17, 9:03 AM
    • 1,053 Posts
    • 3,944 Thanks
    Poor_Single_lady
    Thank you for your posts everyone. I have been very busy and AWOL lately. Nothing exciting- just work and family.

Low key weekend
    And much needed quiet week next week social-wise, but work is hectic.

Today and Sunday- low spend, stay at home, small food shop, strictly and possible take away.

Monday and Tuesday - long works days, small food shop - possible lunch out with friend

Wednesday - busy work day but leave at 5
    Thursday - no work drinks for first time in ages - leave at 5 if possible
    Friday- no evening plans
    Saturday 14th HAIR and food shop.

Next week credit cards will be paid. I cancelled the card that is paid off so feel a bit more organised. It had a limit of £6,500 which in my circumstances is just daft.

I think Stockiebecks I should be able to get a 0% deal this time next year when I need it. I've now paid off 2 credit cards (albeit with balance transfers) and the loan and I did a money transfer a while back so not utilising the overdraft in the same way.
    Plan is to hopefully pay off the Sainsburys card next year so by the time I come to apply I will have 4 accounts paid off and have never missed a payment so I'm hopeful that will put me in a good position.
    Plus as a truly last resort I could potentially ask my dad although I don't want to go down that road unless I am actually starving.

2 weeks and 5 days to payday. Trying hard. xxx
    2017- 5 credit cards plus loan
    Overdraft And 1 credit card paid off.

2018 plans - reduce debt
    • Verbatim
    • By Verbatim 7th Oct 17, 9:12 AM
    • 4,501 Posts
    • 13,082 Thanks
    Verbatim
    You're sounding so much more organised and in control PSL! Keep going! You'll get there.
    CCs @0% £24k Dec 05 £19,621.41 Au £13400 S 12600 Oct £11,981 £9481 £7500 Nov £7250 D £7100 Jan 6950 F £5800 Mar£5400 May £4830 June £4660 July £4460 Aug £3200, S £900, £0 18/9/07 DFW Nerd 042
    • Poor_Single_lady
    • By Poor_Single_lady 8th Oct 17, 2:55 PM
    • 1,053 Posts
    • 3,944 Thanks
    Poor_Single_lady
    Thanks Verbatim. I will get there, it just might take 15 years but such is life really.

In trying very hard, but of course it's never easy. Great to have a plan on paper but harder in real life. Will see how it goes. xxx

2018 plans - reduce debt
    • Cumbria lass
    • By Cumbria lass 8th Oct 17, 4:09 PM
    • 605 Posts
    • 2,273 Thanks
    Cumbria lass
    I am having a quiet time this week , I have been very busy the past few weeks. Not going out this week.

Great to see your plans written down , you will get there eventually .

Have a good week.
    Aug 2017 CC1 £3549 CC 2 £1000

Debt Free Nov 2019: earlier if I have my way
    • coastalchick
    • By coastalchick 8th Oct 17, 5:15 PM
    • 185 Posts
    • 302 Thanks
    coastalchick
    I'm not out this week either PSL (until saturday night). I do actually love being in at home.
    • Poor_Single_lady
    • By Poor_Single_lady 9th Oct 17, 7:39 PM
    • 1,053 Posts
    • 3,944 Thanks
    Poor_Single_lady
    Thank you both. I am really enjoying spending some time at home which is a good thing as there is a bit more to come. Nice to Know I am not the only one not going out. xxx

2018 plans - reduce debt
    • louby40
    • By louby40 9th Oct 17, 8:32 PM
    • 1,102 Posts
    • 3,062 Thanks
    louby40
    I love being at home too and if me and DP do go out for a quick meal we have 1 or 2 drinks, a main and are home by 8pm with our pj’s on lol
    Parent loan PAID IN FULL Sealed Pot Challenge 10 #572
    Emergency fund £730/£1000. Christmas savings £400/£600 Car maintenance £0/600
    Kitchen July £12,493 OCT £10,493. 18% paid off
    Barclaycard £300
    Car loan £2890 Mortgage £95,415
    TOTAL DEBT = £109,098
    • Poor_Single_lady
    • By Poor_Single_lady 10th Oct 17, 6:34 PM
    • 1,053 Posts
    • 3,944 Thanks
    Poor_Single_lady
    Aww Louby I would like to meet a man like this. 2 weeks to go till payday.
    Going out Friday and Saturday and will probably see family at the weekend, Monday, Thursday and Friday out for lunch next week. Then nothing until payday.

2018 plans - reduce debt
    • sm_1988
    • By sm_1988 10th Oct 17, 7:51 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 28 Thanks
    sm_1988
    I love staying in too PSL! Honestly you're not alone, I think going out is so overrated sometimes

Good to see you've got a plan, sticking to it is the harder part but once you'v got it written down it's much easier to focus on. We here supporting you all the way! X
    • Poor_Single_lady
    • By Poor_Single_lady 14th Oct 17, 7:33 AM
    • 1,053 Posts
    • 3,944 Thanks
    Poor_Single_lady
    Thanks SM. I've hardly done anything this month. Aside from bills My bank account basically says Tesco and train tickets. But never mind. Payday is on
    It's way and it was always going to be a low key month which is nice.
    Going to London with friend end of month and going wine tasting and a few other things planned and avoiding some expensive invites so it's good really.
    Having a very low key weekend apart from hair, coffee with friend And then home for strictly and holby. And maybe takeaway and early night.

Have not bought any clothes this month but making a list for post-payday. Will see how it goes. xxx

2018 plans - reduce debt
    • Cumbria lass
    • By Cumbria lass 14th Oct 17, 8:23 AM
    • 605 Posts
    • 2,273 Thanks
    Cumbria lass
    Morning PSL , I have been at home every night this week. The gym has been my entertainment and one friend came round to me. Today I am doing housework, then waxing and meeting friend for coffee . Hoping to get Christmas cards and the odd present as well.

Enjoy the weekend , and browsing for your clothes post payday x

• Verbatim
    • By Verbatim 14th Oct 17, 6:02 PM
    • 4,501 Posts
    • 13,082 Thanks
    Verbatim
    Or you could decide that no clothes are needed (!) and put the money aside
    for Xmas.....
    CCs @0% £24k Dec 05 £19,621.41 Au £13400 S 12600 Oct £11,981 £9481 £7500 Nov £7250 D £7100 Jan 6950 F £5800 Mar£5400 May £4830 June £4660 July £4460 Aug £3200, S £900, £0 18/9/07 DFW Nerd 042
    • Poor_Single_lady
    • By Poor_Single_lady 15th Oct 17, 1:18 PM
    • 1,053 Posts
    • 3,944 Thanks
    Poor_Single_lady
    No Verbatim I always need clothes. Although I tried to go into primark today and all the fashion is weird and oversized and very unflattering so can't see myself buying too much clothes- wise.

I know you won't approve but I think it's a time for investment classics re John Lewis, Laura Ashley, Boden, M&S rather than Zara, primark, next etc. Although I would like a new winter coat.
    My Spring coat from Hobbs has optional extra padding and can be worn in all seasons. It's amazing. One of the best things I ever bought myself.
    No clothes till payday I think would be a good idea. November is looking a bit busy and social so will need to be sensible, I like this more sober version of myself but not sure other people do!
    Busy week at work this week but trying hard with the money.

2018 plans - reduce debt
    • Dolly Rocker
    • By Dolly Rocker 15th Oct 17, 1:26 PM
    • 3,352 Posts
    • 9,494 Thanks
    Dolly Rocker
    I hate the stuff in Primark right now, its horrid.

I had a wander through there last week and tried a few things on but they all sat so strangely on me.

Maybe its my shape

Dxxx
    Goals
    Debt free by Christmas 2017
    Save for Christmas 2017
    Goal weight of 10st 7lbs by Christmas
    Add to deposit savings
    • StokieBecks
    • By StokieBecks 15th Oct 17, 6:08 PM
    • 4,292 Posts
    • 25,258 Thanks
    StokieBecks
    If your spring coat can be used in all seasons why do you feel the need for a winter coat. Is it a need or a want?

I think the clothes battle is one some of us will never understand but as it is your journey that's ok, ultimately only you can decide what to spend your money on. We aren't on your journey but you do seem to have a love for clothes

Think I have suggested before that with your "spare" cash every month to allocate yourself a budget towards clothes each month (you won't need clothes every month but if you put it away, when the time comes you need something you will have the cash there without it affecting your budget or the need to put it on a card)

Or if you are going to buy new clothes, have a sort through what you have, if you haven't worn it for a while then sell it if it is fit for sale which I guess most of yours is as you seem to shop at the higher end clothes stores.. Facebook is good if you are a member you can post it on a local group and someone local can collect if they want to buy.

Can you not ask for clothes or vouchers for Christmas from family?
    • Verbatim
    • By Verbatim 15th Oct 17, 7:02 PM
    • 4,501 Posts
    • 13,082 Thanks
    Verbatim
    Well I'm not surprised PSL but it seems to be my rôle on here to make the sensible suggestions! But do have a think about how you're going to prevent your debt going up at Christmas. (Waggy finger emoji).
    Best wishes and I hope your week goes well.
    • reality_check
    • By reality_check 16th Oct 17, 12:22 PM
    • 672 Posts
    • 1,402 Thanks
    reality_check
    It's your life, so if you enjoy sober life better who cares about the others. I don't buy loads of clothes anymore because I did invest in expensive stuff, but I put it all on credit card, which I 100% regret. I think it is the way forward, but not when in debt, not if you really want to break the cycle of living in on credit cards. Do you shop in supermarkets? I really like Tesco for work clothes. Maybe try having a look at what you can sell, people buy anything, I sold a strap off a bag for £148!! The bag was over £2,000 but still, was a strap! xxx
    Starting debt £18,675.63
    Current debt: £8,250
    • Poor_Single_lady
    • By Poor_Single_lady 16th Oct 17, 7:48 PM
    • 1,053 Posts
    • 3,944 Thanks
    Poor_Single_lady
    Thank you all. I think I will always be a spender so clothes very much appeal. I don't need a new coat but would love one. I haven't been shopping or bought anything online. Just have the clothes itch. But in MSE efforts going to wash everything in the washing pile and have a sort- out. Maybe get some shoes re- heeled and dry cleaning in the shops.

You wouldn't think it from my posts but my family don't spend lots at Christmas. Main cost is grandparents and parents, and nieces and nephews although i know if I went round today And said I wasn't buying Christmas presents my parents would say that it's about the being together and not to bother. Then my dad would put my name on the ones he got for my mum. And my mum would say to buy dad the chocolate he likes. They are very minimalist. Not sure where I get the spending from.

As it goes I have parents sorted but need to get the children something next. Then grandparents last and miscellaneous costs.

Dolly it's the fashion right now- nothing is flattering and everything is like a giant sack. Just horrid and if it makes stick thin models look wide it's not going to do much for normal people! I'm hoping it goes back to normal soon. xxx

2018 plans - reduce debt
    • Cumbria lass
    • By Cumbria lass 16th Oct 17, 9:05 PM
    • 605 Posts
    • 2,273 Thanks
    Cumbria lass
    PSL I cannot associate you with Primark, speaking personally the shop is like a jumble sale whenever I go , nothing fits me. Vest tops are about as good as it gets. Love John Lewis, especially like White Stuff . Possibly my favourite though is Fat Face and Mantaray in Debenhams.

• KxMx
    • By KxMx 17th Oct 17, 2:58 PM
    • 7,148 Posts
    • 10,003 Thanks
    KxMx
    One place that is nice for clothes is Debenhams. Red Herring & The Collection are my favourite ranges.
    Plus, when you only shop during one of their frequent sales, you can get some very good deals.

This will be my 3rd winter in current coat, and i really have itchy feet about getting a new one. But i've decided i'd rather spend that money on something else.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,388Posts Today

7,799Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I was surprised to see the three people in front of me in the newsagents were all shocked their old £1 coins were no longer taken.

• RT @natdebtline: If you?ve been visited by a bailiff since April 2014 we want to hear your story for our #bailiffreform campaign https://t.?

• Well so far it seems there's one thing remainers and leavers agree on - the EU is getting the better of the negotia? https://t.co/70z5ffpG8S

• Follow Martin