Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Poor_Single_lady
    • By Poor_Single_lady 31st May 16, 2:36 PM
    • 1,007Posts
    • 3,694Thanks
    Poor_Single_lady
    Joined 31.05.16
    • 31st May 16, 2:36 PM
    Joined 31.05.16 31st May 16 at 2:36 PM
    Day 1. 31.5.16
    I hope I am posting in the right place. I need to keep a spending diary where its not just me that sees it. I have around £14,500 in debt. This is split over 5 different lenders.

£2450 Bankloan
    £3225 0% credit card
    £3620 0% credit card
    £2500 overdraft
    £2800 credit card 18%

I have a lot of outgoings, live on my own (mortgage) recently had some expensive home improvements which I think were essential.

I am slowly paying things off but one of my biggest battles is with my best friends who seem to be constantly putting pressure on me to do expensive things and get upset when i cant - making my battle twice as hard. Does anyone else have this issue or is it just me.

My other main worry is that if my parents ever found out they would be heartbroken, I am 30 and shouldn't have let this happen. Im keeping my diary and working hard to fix. Day 1.
Page 51
    • sm_1988
    • By sm_1988 16th Sep 17, 7:48 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    sm_1988
    Hi PSL! I've been reading your diary for ages and thought I should really say hello! You're doing so well and I genuinely look forward to reading your ramblings, so long may they continue

Also I'll try my best to post as often as possible
    • Poor_Single_lady
    • By Poor_Single_lady 16th Sep 17, 8:20 AM
    • 1,007 Posts
    • 3,694 Thanks
    Poor_Single_lady
    Awww thank you very much SM. I am very boring at the moment.
    finding it a bit tough particularly as everyone seems to want to do expensive things at Christmas that need to be paid for now. I definately would do better having fewer friends and staying out of pub.
    Trying to encourage all the social to be after payday but it's always something that gets in the way, will see what this week brings.

Having a day for me today so no drinks or anything expensive. Just resting and eating. Next weekend planned same then payday. Really need payday to be a bit sooner but nothing to be done about that. xxx
    • sm_1988
    • By sm_1988 16th Sep 17, 8:04 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    sm_1988
    Oh don't say that PSL, you can never have too many friends. Sometimes I wish I had more friends closer to me as most of them are scattered across the country

I'm in a similar position myself actually, I'm desperately trying to lose the weight I put on while I was with my ex-partner but 10 months later I still haven't lost any But I've told my friends this is why I'm cutting down on alcohol and meals out and they seem to be quite understanding. Could you use a similar tactic maybe?
    • Verbatim
    • By Verbatim 17th Sep 17, 8:51 AM
    • 4,485 Posts
    • 12,959 Thanks
    Verbatim
    That's an excellent idea sm.
    CCs @0% £24k Dec 05 £19,621.41 Au £13400 S 12600 Oct £11,981 £9481 £7500 Nov £7250 D £7100 Jan 6950 F £5800 Mar£5400 May £4830 June £4660 July £4460 Aug £3200, S £900, £0 18/9/07 DFW Nerd 042
    • Cumbria lass
    • By Cumbria lass 17th Sep 17, 8:54 AM
    • 488 Posts
    • 1,258 Thanks
    Cumbria lass
    PSL I like your ethics about Friday , same here in Manchester. Can't stop doing things.

I like SM s idea as well , give it a try .
    Aug 2017 CC1 £3549 CC 2 £1000

Debt Free Nov 2019: earlier if I have my way
    • Cumbria lass
    • By Cumbria lass 17th Sep 17, 8:56 AM
    • 488 Posts
    • 1,258 Thanks
    Cumbria lass
    Just to add thought about you yesterday when I was buying work things , I find it tiresome as trousers for my figure are so hard to find . Anyway tapered pants seem to be the answer . Plus I love all the flowery Tops with the fluted arms that are in for this season.

• Poor_Single_lady
    • By Poor_Single_lady 17th Sep 17, 3:11 PM
    • 1,007 Posts
    • 3,694 Thanks
    Poor_Single_lady
    The work clothes thing is such a pain. I'm not adding to the wardrobe much at the moment. At least not this month. Trying to spend little on everything in October and will be studying quite a lot.

SM It's interesting that you put weight on IN a relationship. I thought it was the other way round. I think the single life is more likely to lead to weight gain but maybe I am wrong about this!
    Good luck with the weight loss and sorry to hear the relationship didn't work out. I don't have any wisdom in this area expect that being single is a lot more relaxing (which might not necessarily be what you want).
    Not to be a downer but to be 100% honest the more men i meet (and I do know quite a lot) the more I think singledom is definitely a life of luxury in comparison to being with the wrong person. It's just a lot more expensive! xxx
    2017- 5 credit cards plus loan
    Overdraft And 1 credit card paid off.

2018 plans - reduce debt
    • louby40
    • By louby40 17th Sep 17, 4:58 PM
    • 1,083 Posts
    • 3,010 Thanks
    louby40
    I'm always heavier when I'm in a relationship- meals out, cooking nice meals, chocolate and nibbles with wine over the weekend.

When I'm single I don't really bother eating proper meals in an evening. I've been with my partner for 3 years now and have just lost a stone over the summer because my weight has slowly crept on.
    Parent loan PAID IN FULL Sealed Pot Challenge 10 #572
    Emergency fund £100/£1000. Christmas savings £400/£600 Car maintenance £100/600
    Kitchen July £12,493 OCT £10,993. 12% paid off
    Barclaycard £389
    Car loan £3084 Mortgage £95,807
    TOTAL DEBT = £110,273
    • Poor_Single_lady
    • By Poor_Single_lady 18th Sep 17, 8:49 AM
    • 1,007 Posts
    • 3,694 Thanks
    Poor_Single_lady
    Oh Louby there is no hope for me. It sounds like I am going to be heavy In or out of a relationship!
    Oh well. If I can cut down drinking up to Christmas that should help.
    Low spend today and all this week actually. Bringing lunch in, work paying for Thursday out and low spend on Saturday and staying out of pub. Then payday next week so just a few more days of low- key life.

2018 plans - reduce debt
    • sm_1988
    • By sm_1988 21st Sep 17, 10:06 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    sm_1988
    Oh I blame my ex - he's Italian so we would always have amazing food, have dinner quite late in the day and also he was a bit of a feeder and I would never say no

How's your week been PSL? Have you managed to stick to the low spend days and brining lunch in to work?
    • Poor_Single_lady
    • By Poor_Single_lady 22nd Sep 17, 9:20 PM
    • 1,007 Posts
    • 3,694 Thanks
    Poor_Single_lady
    Ah it's been a bit tricky and I drank too much but not an outright disaster.

I have Italian friends and they eat constantly- ( but having said that I am completely British and obsessed with food).
    I hope you can get to a weight that you want to be. It is so difficult to lose weight. It goes on so easily and just seems to stick. I must try harder in this area.

Payday soon.

2018 plans - reduce debt
    • Cumbria lass
    • By Cumbria lass 24th Sep 17, 8:50 AM
    • 488 Posts
    • 1,258 Thanks
    Cumbria lass
    PSL Italians always want to eat and feed you . Not good for the waste line I agree.

Hope you have had a good weekend so far.

What is your next MSE goal? Is it the OD?

• Poor_Single_lady
    • By Poor_Single_lady 24th Sep 17, 2:48 PM
    • 1,007 Posts
    • 3,694 Thanks
    Poor_Single_lady
    I'm not sure Cumbria. Not much is going right so will be happy to pay all the bills and stay alive.

It's sort of small wins at the moment more than big goals. Making plans up to end of Jan. Next year going to get the council tax over 12 months instead of 10. Have put the water on direct debit once a month instead of twice a year. And massivly trying to cut down the drinking.
    Bare minimal new clothes in October. Avoided quite a bit of social - but there are still a few things that are happening.

And I have a problem tooth that could escalate and be quite expensive. So need to have some time at home more than anything.

This week
    Today - food shop
    Monday no spend
    Tuesday eyebrows
    Wednesday low spend/top up shop
    Thursday low spend
    Friday out for dinner/drinks
    Saturday - low spend

Have bought Lidl Coke to try, can't remember if I had tried this before or not. I do really like going to Sainsbury's but made myself go to Lidl.not sure why but for some reason it always feels far less like a place of poverty at the weekend. After work it feels far more like a discount shop.

Payday this week which is good. No drinking till Thursday but this will be very much contained.

2018 plans - reduce debt
    • StokieBecks
    • By StokieBecks 24th Sep 17, 6:08 PM
    • 4,264 Posts
    • 24,934 Thanks
    StokieBecks
    Nothing wrong with small steps PSL - hopefully with each little target you meet you will start to feel more and more in control and get some satisfaction from ticking them off

Definitely think it is a good idea to have your water bill as a monthly direct debit so you know each month it has to be paid - big lump sum payments are not idea for budgeting when you are trying to reduce debt as sometimes it is easy to go ohhh I have that money spare I will spend that.

Do you have some funds put aside for December/Christmas social so you don't feel like you are depriving yourself too much?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

107Posts Today

1,509Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: 'Sometimes the best gift is releasing somebody else from the obligation of having to give to you' says @MartinSLewis. Do y?

• Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Follow Martin