Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Cookiepops
    • By Cookiepops 26th May 16, 9:23 PM
    • 325Posts
    • 196Thanks
    Cookiepops
    Servicing Stop - Avoid at all costs!!
    • 26th May 16, 9:23 PM
    Servicing Stop - Avoid at all costs!! 26th May 16 at 9:23 PM
    having recently moved house and not having a garage local to me I did some research and saw the site for servicing stop. MOT at half price and I opted for full service too. They came and took my car away at the allotted time (though I was a little concerned no paperwork handed over or check of my car for any current damage). Within 2 hours my husband received a call from servicing stop with a list of items that had 'failed' the mot. Then tried to do the sale for add ons to the full service. He agreed to the change of brake fluid but not the other add ons (air con recharge). Total cost nearly £600!! (I so wish I hadn't purchased the service!) Then they send me a link which I have to pay in order for my car to be released that day (bear in mind, I've not received any actual invoice like you do at a garage before paying). I was out walking the dogs so couldnt pay straight away, Im talking literally half an hour and they phoned twice for payment and I felt very harrassed. So I pay and within minutes of paying they phone to say they can't get the parts (despite their previous 'guarantee' of getting my car back the same day) and need to keep my car overnight. Oh and because I pay by credit card, there is a 2.5% surcharge! A few hours later I get the invoice and notice one the items Ive been charged £75 + VAT is an MOT advisory! When I get the car back the next day with the MOT paperwork, there are 3 MOT advisories. 1 is for chip in the windscreen which I know about and has been repaired. The other 2, according to the servicing stop invoice, I am charged for as an MOT fail and the advisory - both of which we were told on the phone were MOT fails! Long story short, don't be fooled like myself by the convenience of them collecting and returning your car and the 'cheap' MOT and service offer - they more than make up for it via other means. The cherry on the cake is that my car which had just been cleaned came back like it had been on a building site, caked in thick dust and the roof covered in bird cr*p.
    Cookiepops
Page 3
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 26th Jun 17, 2:47 PM
    • 26,214 Posts
    • 10,469 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    Lots of garages maybe able to collect your car or drop you off at home/work whilst they do the work.

The rare times ive had to get a garage to do my car they would drop me back or often they just chucked some keys to me.

I wouldn't trust an unknown garage come and collect my car, not knowing where it is and what faults they are creating.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • Joleanmay
    • By Joleanmay 29th Jun 17, 7:46 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Joleanmay
    Servicing Stop are shameless liars oit to rip prole off. I booked a service and MOT. I was called on the day to be told MOT passed but in order to do the service additional work was necessary. The handler seemed desperate for me to accept an increase of just shy of £300 and he didn't hide his irritation at my request for a writen breakdown. I'll not list it all but to give you an idea: £52 (plus VAT) to replace a pollen filter...I caled to query the figures but to my surprise there had been no error and he was sticking to them! I therefore requested my vehicle back and an invoice for the MOT. The hander: Gary, repeatedly told me I'm resposible for the MOT and service cost plus £24 for the 'high performance oil' . When I explained that as the service hadn't been done, I'll not be paying for anything but the MOT. He at first suggest the service had been done but later suggestex it was partially done and then repeatedly said that the car was 'sat on the ramp drained of oil' and so they'd have to refill it in order to return it and therefore I have to pay the MOT service and oil costs. This turned out to be a lie and a clear attempt to blackmail me to pay in order to get my vehicle back. The garage later confirmed that they had done no work except the MOT and quote the service. It also later transpired that Service Stop had inflated some items on the garages' quote by 300%
    • RVWK
    • By RVWK 5th Oct 17, 2:05 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    RVWK
    Dishonesty
    I had checked my car before having it taken for an MOT by Servicing Stop, so knew that it would fail and what items it would fail on. I received a long list of faults from them and I knew right away that some of the items they had listed as failures, were not. I didn't authorise the repair and asked for the car to be returned. The salesman initially told me that the car was too dangerous to drive and that I should collect it myself. They did agree to bring it back eventually, presumably because they realised that they had left their own car on my drive.
    I inspected the car when it returned and it was as I had suspected. Faulty Hazard warning system - works absolutely fine. Windscreen wipers (recently replaced), no problem whatsoever. They did find all of the items that I knew would cause the car to fail, broken spring, suspension bushes etc, which was good.
    It leads me to suspect that these extra items are added to customers bills simply to inflate the bill in order to cover their 'Low cost MOT with free Collection and Delivery'
    I would never use them again.
    I would not be able to trust them.
    • Stoke
    • By Stoke 5th Oct 17, 2:57 PM
    • 1,998 Posts
    • 841 Thanks
    Stoke
    If people aren't aware of how shady these guys are, then really it's to some degree their problem.
    • Ebe Scrooge
    • By Ebe Scrooge 5th Oct 17, 4:17 PM
    • 4,012 Posts
    • 3,432 Thanks
    Ebe Scrooge
    It leads me to suspect that these extra items are added to customers bills simply to inflate the bill in order to cover their 'Low cost MOT
    Originally posted by RVWK

Yup, just the same as every other place that offers cut-price MOTs. Personally I'm happy with my local mechanic who charges the full MOT fee as set out by the government, but never miraculously "finds" work that needs doing. Indeed, if there's something trivial like a bulb gone, he'll replace it and not charge me anything at all for it. OK, I know it's only pennies, but a lot of places would at least charge you a minimum of quarter of an hour's labour.
    I may not know much about art, but I know what I like.
    • Stoke
    • By Stoke 5th Oct 17, 5:08 PM
    • 1,998 Posts
    • 841 Thanks
    Stoke
    What's the MOT fee these days? £50?
    • Ebe Scrooge
    • By Ebe Scrooge 5th Oct 17, 6:33 PM
    • 4,012 Posts
    • 3,432 Thanks
    Ebe Scrooge
    What's the MOT fee these days? £50?
    Originally posted by Stoke
    £54.85 : https://www.gov.uk/getting-an-mot/mot-test-fees

Sure, you see lots of garages offering an MOT for £20. But for that they've got to factor in half an hour's labour, the overheads of buying and maintaining the correct equipment to perform the test, and ( I'm guessing on this one, please correct me if I'm wrong ?? ), some sort of payment to the DVSA. So overall they probably make a loss on it. Guess what - a couple of hour's worth of fictitious labour charges will see them back in the black.

OK, it's not fair to tar all garages with the same brush - but it's worth being aware of what it actually costs the garage to do the test.
    Last edited by Ebe Scrooge; 05-10-2017 at 6:35 PM.
    I may not know much about art, but I know what I like.
    • ilikewatch
    • By ilikewatch 5th Oct 17, 8:01 PM
    • 1,044 Posts
    • 1,237 Thanks
    ilikewatch
    £54.85 : https://www.gov.uk/getting-an-mot/mot-test-fees

Sure, you see lots of garages offering an MOT for £20. But for that they've got to factor in half an hour's labour, the overheads of buying and maintaining the correct equipment to perform the test, and ( I'm guessing on this one, please correct me if I'm wrong ?? ), some sort of payment to the DVSA. So overall they probably make a loss on it. Guess what - a couple of hour's worth of fictitious labour charges will see them back in the black.

OK, it's not fair to tar all garages with the same brush - but it's worth being aware of what it actually costs the garage to do the test.
    Originally posted by Ebe Scrooge
    There's also plenty of places who charge less than the official fee, don't offer any repair services (and stay completely neutral by refusing to even recommend a third party repairer), don't charge for a failed test, and still make their business model work.
    • Stoke
    • By Stoke 5th Oct 17, 10:49 PM
    • 1,998 Posts
    • 841 Thanks
    Stoke
    There's also plenty of places who charge less than the official fee, don't offer any repair services (and stay completely neutral by refusing to even recommend a third party repairer), don't charge for a failed test, and still make their business model work.
    Originally posted by ilikewatch
    Yup. Just got the banger MOT'd and it cost 40 quid which means he made a loss.....

Except thanks to his honesty, I'll be taking it back to him to do the clutch if it goes, or the cam belt when it needs doing, or the wheel alignment of the offer that service. I'll also recommend them to friends, family, and make sure I go back for my MOT next year.

Unlike the garage who did my partners car and tried to almost suggest the vehicle was a write off there was that much work. Those guys I won't be recommending..... As it was pretty much all lies.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,146Posts Today

6,477Users online

Martin's Twitter