Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Cookiepops
    • By Cookiepops 26th May 16, 9:23 PM
    • 313Posts
    • 128Thanks
    Cookiepops
    Servicing Stop - Avoid at all costs!!
    • 26th May 16, 9:23 PM
    Servicing Stop - Avoid at all costs!! 26th May 16 at 9:23 PM
    having recently moved house and not having a garage local to me I did some research and saw the site for servicing stop. MOT at half price and I opted for full service too. They came and took my car away at the allotted time (though I was a little concerned no paperwork handed over or check of my car for any current damage). Within 2 hours my husband received a call from servicing stop with a list of items that had 'failed' the mot. Then tried to do the sale for add ons to the full service. He agreed to the change of brake fluid but not the other add ons (air con recharge). Total cost nearly £600!! (I so wish I hadn't purchased the service!) Then they send me a link which I have to pay in order for my car to be released that day (bear in mind, I've not received any actual invoice like you do at a garage before paying). I was out walking the dogs so couldnt pay straight away, Im talking literally half an hour and they phoned twice for payment and I felt very harrassed. So I pay and within minutes of paying they phone to say they can't get the parts (despite their previous 'guarantee' of getting my car back the same day) and need to keep my car overnight. Oh and because I pay by credit card, there is a 2.5% surcharge! A few hours later I get the invoice and notice one the items Ive been charged £75 + VAT is an MOT advisory! When I get the car back the next day with the MOT paperwork, there are 3 MOT advisories. 1 is for chip in the windscreen which I know about and has been repaired. The other 2, according to the servicing stop invoice, I am charged for as an MOT fail and the advisory - both of which we were told on the phone were MOT fails! Long story short, don't be fooled like myself by the convenience of them collecting and returning your car and the 'cheap' MOT and service offer - they more than make up for it via other means. The cherry on the cake is that my car which had just been cleaned came back like it had been on a building site, caked in thick dust and the roof covered in bird cr*p.
    Cookiepops
Page 2
    • gonzo127
    • By gonzo127 24th Jun 16, 11:43 AM
    • 4,222 Posts
    • 5,349 Thanks
    gonzo127
    hm i always find these posts interesting, i have personally used service stop at least three times over the past few years, but have always known their cheap service prices are loss leaders to get the more pricey extra work, but when ever they have contacted me about the extra work they have never had a problem with me rejecting the extra work, and me just paying for the cheap service.

I then just take it to a local garage to get the actual work done at a much lower cost. simple really

so basically I use service stop in the same way i do with MOT's, i take to a MOT only garage to highlight areas that need work, and if further work is needed i get quotes to get it sorted from my local garages
    Drop a brand challenge
    on a £100 shop you might on average get 70 items save
    10p per product = £7 a week ~ £28 a month
    20p per product = £14 a week ~ £56 a month
    30p per product = £21 a week ~ £84 a month (or in other words one weeks shoping at the new price)
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 24th Jun 16, 2:20 PM
    • 24,688 Posts
    • 9,801 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    Except your loss leader service may have cost them very little. Clean your oil filter so it looks new and top the oil up if below max and then use it to run a few errands and return it....

If you get your local garage to do the work and you trust them why risk an unknown service?
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • arcon5
    • By arcon5 24th Jun 16, 7:05 PM
    • 12,904 Posts
    • 8,148 Thanks
    arcon5
    Cheap MOTs are expensive!
    • Johnmcl7
    • By Johnmcl7 24th Jun 16, 7:41 PM
    • 2,213 Posts
    • 1,429 Thanks
    Johnmcl7
    General rule when trying out a new garage:
    When you call, ask when you can book in for whatever work you want. If they are too busy for a couple of days, or even a week, you know they are popular. May be worth even driving or walking past the garage, looking at activity.

I use this general rule with lots of places for Goods and Services. Eg: looking for a good pub and/or restaurant - are there plenty of cars in the car park?
    Originally posted by Robisere
    I don't agree, the couple of decent garages I use (both of which were highly recommended) can normally see the car within a couple of days or even same day if it's an emergency. The other bigger garages I've used are two to three weeks minimum waiting time even when it's been urgent and they've been totally useless, unable to fix even basic, known problems with the model.

I always go with a garage that has recommendations for good service.

John
    • vikingaero
    • By vikingaero 25th Jun 16, 8:42 AM
    • 10,228 Posts
    • 12,888 Thanks
    vikingaero
    Any good garage is going to be inundated with work. Same as takeaways. The good takeaways aren't signed up to HungryHouse or Just Eat because they are too busy to take on discounted work.

IIRC Servicing Stop take 1/3rd of the price as their fee. So for a £100 service there is only £66 left. With the £66 the garage sends 2 people around to pick up and return your car - call it 15 minutes each way x 4 trips. If people are paid minimum wage the cost to the business will be c£10 per person including pension, holidays, sickness. That £66 is now £46 to service your car.

Add on a cheap filter £5, trade oil, garage overheads and there isn't a lot left to make any profit. That's why they have to price gouge.
    The man without a signature.
    • fred246
    • By fred246 25th Jun 16, 10:59 AM
    • 730 Posts
    • 424 Thanks
    fred246
    My theory is that you have to get as close as possible to the person actually doing the job.
    If you can get a good mobile mechanic that would be best. Look at the new parts he is fitting. Keep an eye on him.
    Next best is a small independent where you can chat with the mechanics.
    Worst is a main dealer where you can only talk to a receptionist and have no idea who has been working on your car.
    • bigadaj
    • By bigadaj 25th Jun 16, 12:58 PM
    • 8,754 Posts
    • 5,543 Thanks
    bigadaj
    My theory is that you have to get as close as possible to the person actually doing the job.
    If you can get a good mobile mechanic that would be best. Look at the new parts he is fitting. Keep an eye on him.
    Next best is a small independent where you can chat with the mechanics.
    Worst is a main dealer where you can only talk to a receptionist and have no idea who has been working on your car.
    Originally posted by fred246
    The principle is fine but ultimately it will vary.

Last year got a budget tyre from a local place, checked the price on black circles and they were the cheapest, so rang them up, agreed teh price as they would be saving on commission.

Went down and got it done, on completion it was now excluding vat, valve etc.

Just put me off them, live and learn and I go elsewhere.

Similarly there are some areas where using an intermediary can be cheaper, for investments then it's generally cheaper to go to a broker, if you go direct you'll often pay an initial fee which will be discounted by the broker etc
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 25th Jun 16, 3:53 PM
    • 24,688 Posts
    • 9,801 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    My local tyre (independant) places only quote the all in price.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

• fred246
    • By fred246 25th Jun 16, 7:25 PM
    • 730 Posts
    • 424 Thanks
    fred246
    My local tyre (independant) places only quote the all in price.
    Originally posted by forgotmyname
    Hopefully you only ever get caught out once with the valve, balance, disposal, VAT scam.

Kwik fit used to do a free puncture repair scam where you took the tyre for a free repair then they charged you for a new valve and balancing on every repair.
    • Ducado
    • By Ducado 25th Aug 16, 11:24 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Ducado
    What a con trick
    Just wish I had read all this before signing up. You know what they say : if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. The guy who came to collect my car was just over an hour later than I had been told the Day before. He first called to say his satnav was too old and he was nowhere near me. He took the car and I called the service place -" Hertford Auto centre" - to ensure it had arrived OK. The man who answered the telephone, Gary, said he had just sent in the 'report'. The car was in for a simple service - oil change etc. I received a call a little later from an obnoxious character who tried to convince me that my car was poorly maintained. I has complete service history from new. I had asked them to tell me why the passenger air scarf was not working. I've the light comes on but no blower and then after a few seconds it goes out. However, this extremely rude character said I needed special oil (don't they know all Mercs use a special oil?) he said I needed a complete brake fluid change - why? It was done a couple of Months ago when it had MOT and Major Service. He said I needed something done to clean the injectors. No reason given. The best part was when he said the A/C needed to be regassed. What a load of rubbish. It had been done by the Mercedes Dealer 10 Days ago. I think they are a scam Company and will never use them again. Even Gary from HAC told me they just try to sell you stuff not needed. The service book has not been completed and there is no evidence they used any special oil. In addition the service light is still on. What a con trick. I am going to raise a dispute with my bank. Someone should report them to trading standards.
    • Le_Kirk
    • By Le_Kirk 25th Aug 16, 1:32 PM
    • 1,623 Posts
    • 796 Thanks
    Le_Kirk
    Someone should report them to trading standards.
    Originally posted by Ducado
    Well, you are the one with the most recent (reported) evidence and experience, I suggest you report them to trading standards. I think you have to go through Citizens Advice Bureau now.
    • joinharoon
    • By joinharoon 7th Sep 16, 12:36 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    joinharoon
    Dont use them at-all
    I have had a bad experience with them two years back but was attracted by 50% offer. They picked up the car on time, and then had a call from the call centre claiming my rear tyre needs to be changed, headlight bulb is not working (which is not true). Break Oil is dirty and pollen filter needs to be changed but the amount they are charging is very high from the market price almost double .. I am 101% sure they must hv put substandard company tyre. Brake fluid is 37 whereas they charge 75. pollen filter 20 whereas they charge 45 . They are ripping off people with double prices.. i am not happy and will not recommend and use them again.
    • konark
    • By konark 8th Sep 16, 12:37 AM
    • 788 Posts
    • 612 Thanks
    konark
    'Break Oil', is that for oiling your 'breaks'?
    • EdGasket
    • By EdGasket 8th Sep 16, 9:58 AM
    • 3,456 Posts
    • 1,444 Thanks
    EdGasket
    'Break Oil', is that for oiling your 'breaks'?
    Originally posted by konark
    Yeah, it's either coffee or beer depending on the time of day.
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 8th Sep 16, 1:30 PM
    • 24,688 Posts
    • 9,801 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    Yeah, it's either coffee or beer depending on the time of day.
    Originally posted by EdGasket
    Oh dear no wonder standards are slipping

TEA!!! for breaks not coffee

• basiluk
    • By basiluk 22nd Dec 16, 7:19 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    basiluk
    Avoid servicestop.co.uk at all costs
    Tried to overcharge twice, avoid at all costs!
    Firstly tried to charge for two items that were 1) Not needed and 2) grossly overpriced. Then tried to charge a "surcharge" for special oil which they refused to remove. It too a call to the car manufacturer to get them to confirm that the vehicle did not need this. Finally they relented.

However to top it all off, they then charged an extra £25 "toward the cost of the next service" without permission - They have now agreed to refund this.
    • sangkv
    • By sangkv 11th Mar 17, 12:17 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    sangkv
    Run away !!!
    Beware of damages to you car
    Beware of pressure selling at the end
    Beware of worst customer service you can ever imagine
    Beware of complete frustration to the extend of blaming the moment you choose servicing stop for servicing your car
    All happened to me and at the they made me a liar as well!!!!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

200Posts Today

1,182Users online

Martin's Twitter