Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Results: Are you voting to remain or leave?

39.29% • 77 votes

54.59% • 107 votes

6.12% • 12 votes

You may not vote on this poll

196 votes in total.

• tara747
    • By tara747 24th May 16, 12:17 PM
    • 9,934Posts
    • 26,382Thanks
    Referendum: which way are you voting?
    • 24th May 16, 12:17 PM
    Referendum: which way are you voting? 24th May 16 at 12:17 PM
    MoneySavingExpert Insert:

Hi all, if you want to see Martin's view on us leaving the EU read our news story:

Martin's reaction to Brexit: what will it mean for the economy, mortgages, savings and more?

Back to the original post...

Just out of curiosity.

Feel free to state your reasons either way in the comments
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 24-06-2016 at 11:24 AM.
    Get to 119lbs! 1/2/09: 135.6lbs 1/5/11: 145.8lbs 30/3/13 150lbs 22/2/14 137lbs 2/6/14 128lbs 29/8/14 124lbs
    Save £110,000 by 31 Dec 2016! Dec 2011: £54,342 * Dec 2012: £62,200 * Dec 2013: £74,127 * Dec 2014: £84,839 * Dec 2015: £95,207
    eBay sales - £4,559.89 Cashback - £1,811.15
    Be a nicer daughter, sister and friend
Page 18
    • RikM
    • By RikM 18th Oct 16, 4:44 PM
    • 466 Posts
    • 256 Thanks
    Nicola is trump in high heels.
    Originally posted by qwert yuiop
    You had to put that picture into my head...?
    • qwert yuiop
    • By qwert yuiop 18th Oct 16, 5:06 PM
    • 1,418 Posts
    • 706 Thanks
    qwert yuiop
    If he wins, we'll have to look at that hair for the next four years. I can't see it happening, but then I couldn't see Brexit happening either. Neither could David Cameron.
    Strange how out of 300 million Americans, they're left with a choice between two candidates that nobody seems to like.
    • waltsalt
    • By waltsalt 18th Oct 16, 5:42 PM
    • 227 Posts
    • 118 Thanks
    A douchebag and a turd sandwich.
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 18th Oct 16, 6:14 PM
    • 13,507 Posts
    • 7,121 Thanks
    I'm not a brexitist, but I'm running at about 80 % of my income in euros ( at the same prices as pre vote) so I've had a 22% pay rise. So that makes me a "boom and gloom" type.

"I can't complain, but sometimes I still do"
    Originally posted by qwert yuiop
    I'm an IT contractor and most of my work has been on the UK mainland (currently in Manchester), as the market rates arent that great in Dublin, however i'll be looking closely at the South for my next contract.

Could work out very nicely.

• qwert yuiop
    • By qwert yuiop 18th Oct 16, 7:54 PM
    • 1,418 Posts
    • 706 Thanks
    qwert yuiop
    I'm an IT contractor and most of my work has been on the UK mainland (currently in Manchester), as the market rates arent that great in Dublin, however i'll be looking closely at the South for my next contract.

Could work out very nicely.
    Originally posted by motorguy
    Yes indeed, and you never know what's going to happen next. Perhaps it's time to shift euro earnings into pounds. The panic seems to have gone anyway.
    • guiriman
    • By guiriman 18th Oct 16, 10:04 PM
    • 288 Posts
    • 174 Thanks
    Essentially we've been borrowing our prosperity for quite a while.
    Originally posted by saverbuyer
    Us and the rest of the Western world! Not too many countries out there without a debt mountain eg
    • x12yhp
    • By x12yhp 19th Oct 16, 4:41 PM
    • 723 Posts
    • 385 Thanks
    And guess what? I bet a lot of those suppliers are chancing their arm, based on brexit.

And of course, a weaker pound helps UK businesses export goods more competitively, something the bank of England is probably quite pleased about as a side effect.

Originally posted by motorguy
    Sorry Paul but you are accusing almost every one of our suppliers of lying. That is awfully sweeping. Do you have any hard evidence of companies putting prices up, having suffered no material inflation themselves, and then telling customers otherwise? Please post it if you do. I have heard this kind of thing a whole load of times but it is from people who aren't actually in the supply chains they are commenting on. In any case, a lot of it is obviously true. if you rely on materials which are price in euro or dollars, your sterling costs will have increased. That isn't a guess, it is mathematical fact. Here is a letter I have just received:

Plastic Container Price Review - 14th November 2016

Dear Customer,

The last 3 years have been a period of relative stability as far as our prices are concerned as we have been able to smooth out the effects of any overheads increases and fluctuations in raw material prices and exchange rates. Sadly that is now changing and in dramatic fashion.

You will Iím sure be well aware that since the Brexit vote in June, the £ Sterling has been sliding in value. Along with our principal suppliers we have been monitoring the situation and looking for signs of stabilisation or a return to pre-vote levels, but after 4 months the slide appears to be accelerating and we are now at a point where we cannot continue to absorb the full force of the decline.
    It isnít just the cost of imported containers where the impact is being felt but even UK manufactured containers since all plastic raw material is imported and the higher cost is now feeding through from these suppliers as well. Therefore an increase in prices is now essential and with effect from Monday 14th November 2016 our selling prices will increase by 8%, although on some specifications it may be higher.

We value your custom and seek your understanding in what is fast becoming an impossible situation for us.

Yours Faithfully,

This relates to plastics in general. If your product has plastics in it, prices will rise. This is because your plastic comes from oil which is... priced in dollars. Guess what - your detergents (so anything that does cleaning) are predominantly derived from hydrocarbon sources. Things derived from the likes of coconut oils (you would be surprised how common these are) are also priced in euro/dollars (not to mention the fact that the base material is also very expensive). The list is extremely long, based solely on the effect of the weak pound.

I am just sick and tired of people saying that it is blatant 'sticking the arm in' when they clearly do not know what they are talking about. Sticking the head in the sand and denying it is even worse than the people who refuse to move on and accept the brexit result.
    Always overestimating...
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,153Posts Today

8,030Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LondonMudlark: Just found by eye on the Thames foreshore. Roman coin, beautiful condition. I'm a very happy Mudlark #londonmudlark http?

• RT @NHSMillion: If everyone who thinks the NHS is worth fighting for follows & RTs we'd reach a million in no time & have such a strong col?

• Very tense this test match. Great listening on 5 live sport #ENGvBAN

• Follow Martin