Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Baldybear
    • By Baldybear 24th May 16, 10:06 AM
    • 1,592Posts
    • 3,122Thanks
    Baldybear
    Thanks Mum this is for you...single gal, a pony and a mission to beat the mortgage
    • 24th May 16, 10:06 AM
    Thanks Mum this is for you...single gal, a pony and a mission to beat the mortgage 24th May 16 at 10:06 AM
    Good morning world

As the title of the diary this is me a single gal, a pony and a mission to beat the mortgage.

Have had lots of diaries before on the DFW board but have managed to get free, have had so many changes in my life that am hoping to go on an upward trend now and beat my mortgage into submission.

So brief history....am 38, have a horse and a hamster I bought my current house with my ex, we split up and he has moved on but was trying to buy him out this started June 2014...roll forward to october 2015 and my mum suddenly got very ill, diagnosed with terminal cancer and died within 2 weeks So from then until now has been 6 months of pure hell. Everything that could have been thrown at my family has, this includes major injury for the hoss 10 days after my mum died resulting in 5 stitches and 1200 vet bill, my dad having a fall, worries about dad and current living situation and then him being diagnosed with Alzheimers, just to name a few.

A lot has gone on, but we have sold my dads house, sold my sisters house and my dad is now living in a larger property with my sister, her hubbie and 6 year old boy. Just moved in a few weeks ago but hopefully life will settle down.

The upside to this all is that dad gifted me part of the money from his estate which enabled me to become debt free (earlier although was working on it quite well), it also enabled me to buy my ex out, decrease the mortgage enough to take on myself.

So now we are here today Today is a special day to start this diary as it is my mums birthday, she would have been 71 today, so this forward venture in my life is dedicated to mum
    Debt Free - Thanks Mum
    Now onto the Mortgage and savings....
Page 7
    • mfmaybe
    • By mfmaybe 21st Sep 16, 8:53 PM
    • 716 Posts
    • 2,383 Thanks
    mfmaybe
    Hi BB,

I've been reading but not had time to post. Sounds like there has been a lot going on a major things to mull over. But you're working your way through them and will make good decisions I'm sure.

Quick one on the redundancy - any reason why it wouldn't be 100% tax free? Pretty sure it's all tax free up to 30k regardless of salary. Just a thought.

Hope all is well with the horse and that the job situation ends up whichever way you'd prefer it!
    Credit card 0% Highest 6354.82 now 3274 48.5% paid. Pay by Jan 17

Other debts paid since 1/1/14: 10,650
    • Baldybear
    • By Baldybear 22nd Sep 16, 10:43 AM
    • 1,592 Posts
    • 3,122 Thanks
    Baldybear
    Hi BB,

I've been reading but not had time to post. Sounds like there has been a lot going on a major things to mull over. But you're working your way through them and will make good decisions I'm sure.

Quick one on the redundancy - any reason why it wouldn't be 100% tax free? Pretty sure it's all tax free up to 30k regardless of salary. Just a thought.

Hope all is well with the horse and that the job situation ends up whichever way you'd prefer it!
    Originally posted by mfmaybe
    Hello, thanks for dropping by, re the tax redundancy only going by what the gov website says as they way its going the company is going under so would only get the statutory redundancy pay from the government, maybe worth a bit more investigation.

At the moment just feel a bit blah with the world, new beginnings/endings and timing is just weird.

On one hand new beginnings, finally got rid of ex and all his stuff and house in my name so thats great.

New endings possibly the job (more than likely) but its not yet and it is just a waiting game, to be honest want to all over with so can move on, just feel in limbo.

Time of year - it was about this time last year that mum started to get ill, although at the time we thought it was just a tummy bug, so did she I believe too and hey less than 2 months from now and it will be a year since she died.

Maybe am feeling so so with the world, as well as with the uncertainity of the job, plus worries about dad has all brought it back to me about how quick things happened with mum and how I never got to talk to her properly, all the things you can talk about when you know someone is dying, the past, the shared history, things you never knew about them. I never got that chance as the process was so quick. Also how much I miss the conversations, random chat, unrivalled support I got from her, just that life in the last year has had so many ups and downs and now with the job just feeling a bit lost with myself

Onto boring everyday news, NSD yesterday, NSD today planned, may start looking at holidays soon, although with the who knows maybe its worth waiting a week or so, bah! Booked my chimney sweep to come and do annual clean for saturday 50, not in budget but can come out of 100 misc budget I have each month so thats ok.
    Debt Free - Thanks Mum
    • Mrs Money Penny
    • By Mrs Money Penny 22nd Sep 16, 12:38 PM
    • 698 Posts
    • 6,180 Thanks
    Mrs Money Penny
    Dear Baldybear
    I know and fill with you the loss when you loose you Mum. It was a year last week that I lost my Mum and it is still so raw. We had moved into a house with an Annex for Mum and I had wished for a few good happy years together. Unfortunately life doesn't turn out as you dream of and sadly as soon as she moved in with us she was diagnosed with cancer. Her health declined and although unlike you I had time with her there were still things that either I couldn't feel I could ask or things I forgot to ask.
    The Anniversary of that day the trumatic events that occurred with no doubt live with me for the rest of my life. I feel very lost myself still. I am slowly getting back to health as I was diagnosed with cancer the day after Mum died.
    Basically try thinking more of the happy times you shared together. The pain will be there for a long time but I'm sure that like myself we couldn't have done anymore for our Mums than we did. Once we take that on board I think it helps. Lots of love Mrs M
    MFIT T4 40
    MFIT Challenge save 40k
    2016 savings 12k
    • Baldybear
    • By Baldybear 23rd Sep 16, 10:26 AM
    • 1,592 Posts
    • 3,122 Thanks
    Baldybear
    Dear Baldybear
    I know and fill with you the loss when you loose you Mum. It was a year last week that I lost my Mum and it is still so raw. We had moved into a house with an Annex for Mum and I had wished for a few good happy years together. Unfortunately life doesn't turn out as you dream of and sadly as soon as she moved in with us she was diagnosed with cancer. Her health declined and although unlike you I had time with her there were still things that either I couldn't feel I could ask or things I forgot to ask.
    The Anniversary of that day the trumatic events that occurred with no doubt live with me for the rest of my life. I feel very lost myself still. I am slowly getting back to health as I was diagnosed with cancer the day after Mum died.
    Basically try thinking more of the happy times you shared together. The pain will be there for a long time but I'm sure that like myself we couldn't have done anymore for our Mums than we did. Once we take that on board I think it helps. Lots of love Mrs M
    Originally posted by Mrs Money Penny
    Thank you so much for such kind words, in what I can imagine is still a crap time for you too. I am so pleased to hear that you are slowly regaining your health, there will always be hole in my life where mum was, like you say there would never have been enough time to ask all those questions. Just need to focus on the positives and get there somehow

NSD ruined yesterday as bought an e-book on special offer on amazon, 99p but used voucher received so in theory a NSD but not counting it.

So of out at lunchtime today to take dad to check out the day centre, hopefully that will work out ok. Sun is shining so thats all good too

Payday today, so budget is 1582, have 1589 so tight but do-able, this does include the 600 to savings though so thats all good. Chimney sweep booked in tomorrow, annual cost 50 but need it for insurance and the guys are great. There is also a fun pony show/BBQ at the yard tomorrow afternoon. May take my pony into the handy pony show be good fun, its 10, have 15 in my purse from cash4clothes so could afford it, but it would be nice to put that money away for something else. Wait and see about tomorrow see how it pans out on the day.
    Debt Free - Thanks Mum
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,094Posts Today

4,251Users online

Martin's Twitter