Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Baldybear
    • By Baldybear 24th May 16, 10:06 AM
    • 1,627Posts
    • 3,222Thanks
    Baldybear
    Thanks Mum this is for you...single gal, a pony and a mission to beat the mortgage
    • 24th May 16, 10:06 AM
    Thanks Mum this is for you...single gal, a pony and a mission to beat the mortgage 24th May 16 at 10:06 AM
    Good morning world

As the title of the diary this is me a single gal, a pony and a mission to beat the mortgage.

Have had lots of diaries before on the DFW board but have managed to get free, have had so many changes in my life that am hoping to go on an upward trend now and beat my mortgage into submission.

So brief history....am 38, have a horse and a hamster I bought my current house with my ex, we split up and he has moved on but was trying to buy him out this started June 2014...roll forward to october 2015 and my mum suddenly got very ill, diagnosed with terminal cancer and died within 2 weeks So from then until now has been 6 months of pure hell. Everything that could have been thrown at my family has, this includes major injury for the hoss 10 days after my mum died resulting in 5 stitches and £1200 vet bill, my dad having a fall, worries about dad and current living situation and then him being diagnosed with Alzheimers, just to name a few.

A lot has gone on, but we have sold my dads house, sold my sisters house and my dad is now living in a larger property with my sister, her hubbie and 6 year old boy. Just moved in a few weeks ago but hopefully life will settle down.

The upside to this all is that dad gifted me part of the money from his estate which enabled me to become debt free (earlier although was working on it quite well), it also enabled me to buy my ex out, decrease the mortgage enough to take on myself.

So now we are here today Today is a special day to start this diary as it is my mums birthday, she would have been 71 today, so this forward venture in my life is dedicated to mum
    Debt Free - Thanks Mum
    Now onto the Mortgage and savings....
Page 10
    • Baldybear
    • By Baldybear 7th Mar 17, 11:51 AM
    • 1,627 Posts
    • 3,222 Thanks
    Baldybear
    Is this where I say that my total spending for my two in the last 12 months was £368.23 and a third of that was the vet bill for restarting their tetanus jabs, or will I get shot?? They're at home, we own the land, and being native good-doers, they pretty much just eat grass, hay (made our own for the first time this year, which saved me about £450 buying in) and they go through a couple of bags of Coolstance Copra, a couple of bags of micronised linseed and about 7kg of Progressive Earth Pro-Mineral in a year between them. However, one's retired and the other is my occasional happy hacker, so no costs of competing or lessons, mainly because there isn't really anywhere to do either up here, and my farrier charges me £30 to trim both.
    Originally posted by cazmanian_minx
    Super jealous of this, ability to make own hay definitely a massive money saver And love your views with your land
    Debt Free - Thanks Mum
    • Baldybear
    • By Baldybear 7th Mar 17, 11:56 AM
    • 1,627 Posts
    • 3,222 Thanks
    Baldybear
    Good morning (just)

So nice weekend, saturday went out and took nephew to Merces Benz world as literally 5 mins away from us. £6 spent on a simulator ride. Sunday spent £2 on bacon and did lots of housey jobs that needed doing.

Checked and all payments gone through on cards, so finances looking much healthier

Bought the final few pressies for sister for her birthday but all done via amazon vouchers which got from survey sites and quidco so no extra pennies spent

Friend repaid hay money too, money put aside for farrier, so saving in budget and the rest is in my purse.

Have a day of tomorrow, its my birthday and dont want to work on birthday, so may go out for the day, just by myself, do something different, not sure yet, wait and see.
    Debt Free - Thanks Mum
    • Mrs Money Penny
    • By Mrs Money Penny 19th Aug 17, 3:40 PM
    • 718 Posts
    • 6,247 Thanks
    Mrs Money Penny
    How is things? You haven't been on for a while. Hope everything is ok
    MFIT T4 40
    MFIT Challenge save £40k
    £55526:/36617/18909
    • Princesssparkle
    • By Princesssparkle 8th Sep 17, 5:33 PM
    • 38 Posts
    • 116 Thanks
    Princesssparkle
    Hello lovely. Hope you're doing well x
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

160Posts Today

2,280Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I believe I can boldly go where no twitter poll has gone before https://t.co/HA0jC92gAK

• OK I'm wilting to public pressure and there will be a star trek captain's poll at some point next week

• I can get that. My order is 1. Picard 2. Janeway 3. Kirk. Too early to say where Lorca will end up (or would you? https://t.co/kawtCOe9RA

• Follow Martin