Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • matilda.cs
    • By matilda.cs 20th May 16, 3:42 PM
    • 198Posts
    • 45Thanks
    matilda.cs
    Costs of running a usb fan?
    • 20th May 16, 3:42 PM
    Costs of running a usb fan? 20th May 16 at 3:42 PM
    Hi all,
    I wondered if someone could help me with my calculations over energy usage costs...
    My partner has just been told that they have to pay £5 each to cover the cost of electricity for one year, to power a desktop fan (USB fans also charged at the same amount)
    My initial thoughts were that its disgusting that they are charging staff, for the "luxury" of comfortable working conditions. I figured debunking their costs might go some way to making them see sense.

My calcs are based on her working 3 days per week, 7 hours a day.

So -

A USB port can output a maximum power of 5w at 500mA
    If a USB fan used ALL of that power, it would run at 2.5watts (watts=ampsxvolts)

If you run that for 7 hours per day, its 17.5watts per day.

17.5watts a day x 3 working days = 52.50watts

52.50watts per 52 weeks a year = 2730watts

2730watts = 2.73kWh
    The current rate for a kWh (kilowatt hour) is around 10p?
    2.73kWh x 0.10 = Total cost per year = £0.28 per year?
    Does that sound right?

They have 600 staff so this seems like a nice little earner for them...

Thanks all
Page 2
    • matilda.cs
    • By matilda.cs 20th May 16, 11:11 PM
    • 198 Posts
    • 45 Thanks
    matilda.cs
    Why not use your own battery powered fan, use rechargeable batteries, and charge them at work.
    Originally posted by Tyler Durden UK
    I did think about that...
    My issue is that, ultimately, that just paints over the fact that the employer is being a turd.
    • MoneyBurningExpert
    • By MoneyBurningExpert 13th Jul 17, 11:27 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    MoneyBurningExpert
    Haha.
    Found this post by chance googling the cost of running USB devices and I do believe I work at the same place! And when I heard about this ridiculous fan tax, I laughed. And no manager has ever tried to make me pay it, and if they did, I'd laugh in their face, and say 'make me'. As outlined in a post above, it is just one of many ways that the untrained management staff try and take the proverbial. There's no legal weight to it. I'd be tempted to offer to do £5 less work, to compensate. The air con is crappy wherever you are, it's set up wrong and everyone has access to fiddle with it... the only solution is to take care of yourself. All about the jumpers and gloves / fans and water. The portable phone charger solution has been used by a couple on my floor. Some people have paid it. But honestly, I don't even see any value in engaging with this ridiculous request/rule that has just come out of nowhere. If more staff stood up to the more ridiculous management actions, we'd all work in a happier environment. Don't get walked over is my advice.
    • btr30
    • By btr30 14th Jul 17, 4:22 PM
    • 41 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    btr30
    Of course running a fan will not lower the temperature, and in fact the heat generated by the motor, will lead to an increased temperature in the office, and result in an increase to the company's electricity costs, which ultimately affects profitability/viability.

If the fans require to be provided as a convenience item, and are purchased, PAT, running costs included, £5 per annum seems a very reasonable deal ( 2p per working day).
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,450Posts Today

6,969Users online

Martin's Twitter