Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Zola.
    • By Zola. 20th May 16, 11:38 AM
    • 1,050Posts
    • 390Thanks
    Zola.
    Quest for Financial Freedom
    • 20th May 16, 11:38 AM
    Quest for Financial Freedom 20th May 16 at 11:38 AM
    Hello fellow money savers

This will be my diary to help keep myself accountable and focused on a few key things
    1. Clearing Our Mortgage Early
    2. Saving Money
    3. Investing Money
    4. Enjoying Life

A little about me. I am 30, live in UK. Up until I was about 27 I was pretty rubbish with money.

I saw my pay check as money to burn. I matured eventually, knuckled down and saved very hard to get our first home. We bought around a year ago and managed to slap down a good deposit. We get married in 2017, so currently saving for that.

Here are some early stats.
    • Mortgage Balance: Around £126,500 - 24 years left (currently)
    • Wedding fund: £12,500
    • Rainy Day Fund: £10,000
    • Investments: £350

We have been putting £600 into our wedding fund every month and will keep doing so until the wedding happens.

We plan to overpay on the mortgage after that. I like the thought of keeping £600 floating into an over payment fund and send that off. We can only make one payment of up to 10% every year, so will likely build it up over the year then send off.

We will have things like car replacements, kids etc to think about in future as well, so my priorities may change a year or two down the line!

I also have started investing in Vanguard Life Strategy 80, and plan to put in £300 a month whenever possible. I want to hold onto this for as long as possible and pray for a good return!

We also love holidays and enjoying ourselves, so I wont be holding myself back in enjoying life, we only get one. I just want to become a black belt in the art of being Frugal!
    Last edited by Zola.; 01-06-2016 at 11:01 AM.
Page 2
    • Zola.
    • By Zola. 10th Oct 17, 2:08 PM
    • 1,050 Posts
    • 390 Thanks
    Zola.
    Thank you both very much

Getting that first over payment done felt great. One small step at a time !!
    Last edited by Zola.; 10-10-2017 at 2:14 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

139Posts Today

2,288Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin