Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Frozen_up_north
    • By Frozen_up_north 14th May 16, 7:31 PM
    • 680Posts
    • 264Thanks
    Frozen_up_north
    Apple Pay, which shops can you use it for more than 30?
    • 14th May 16, 7:31 PM
    Apple Pay, which shops can you use it for more than 30? 14th May 16 at 7:31 PM
    I've started using Apple Pay and find there are many places that don't take contactless (Tesco for example) and those that do, only seem to offer the same spending limit as ordinary contactless.

I understand updated software is needed at the store in order to accept payments over 30 on Apple Pay... Other than Apple Stores, are there any others that have moved into the 21st century?

Thanks
Page 2
    • colsten
    • By colsten 30th Aug 16, 5:53 PM
    • 8,152 Posts
    • 6,647 Thanks
    colsten
    For me, Apple Pay / Android Pay is just a step too far in laziness.

People forget their pin numbers because they don't bother with them after using Contactless so much. It's not available everywhere so you're bound to run into problems.
    Originally posted by anotheruser
    It's clearly not for you then, as you don't appear to be seeking the benefits from the added security and the convenience that comes with Apple Pay / Android Pay.

I do think though you underestimate the capacity of the lazy folk to remember their PIN.
    • 20aday
    • By 20aday 30th Aug 16, 7:44 PM
    • 1,731 Posts
    • 700 Thanks
    20aday
    From Lloyds Bank in regards to Apple Pay:

To protect you from fraud, we may restrict the value or number of payments you can make using Apple Pay, so please make sure you carry your debit and credit cards with you just in case. Some retailers will also limit individual payments to 30.

So that *might* be why they declined the Transferwise payment attempt.
    It's not your credit score that counts, it's your account conduct and credit history.
    • PeterLWilson
    • By PeterLWilson 31st Aug 16, 1:29 AM
    • 53 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    PeterLWilson
    Shell have a mobile payment app for IPhones that allows you to use Apple pay to pay for fuel.
    • colsten
    • By colsten 31st Aug 16, 11:17 AM
    • 8,152 Posts
    • 6,647 Thanks
    colsten
    I had Nationwide decline a large-ish Apple Pay transaction in the Apple Store. They immediately blocked my card (Select CC) as well, so I used a Santander CC which worked fine on Apple Pay.

About 20 minutes later, I had a text from Nationwide that asked for a "y" response, or to call them, if the transaction had been attempted by myself. I duly responded "y", whereupon almost instantly my phone rang.....automated call by Nationwide to ask whether I had attempted a payment in the Apple Store that day. It gave me the option to speak to someone at Nationwide, which I took up. It was a bit of a palaver to get through the ID verification as I don't often call them and couldn't remember my telephone password. Eventually they told me all was fine as I had texted them already, there hadn't been a need to call them, and my Apple Pay transaction would now go through ok if I wanted to try it again (no thanks, already paid with a different card). They couldn't explain why they called me. There's definitely some room for improvement, Nationwide!
    • JJB223
    • By JJB223 9th Oct 16, 12:29 PM
    • 46 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    JJB223
    Center Parcs U.K. Accept Apple Pay up to 500 in all there places
    • knack92
    • By knack92 9th Oct 16, 3:50 PM
    • 383 Posts
    • 186 Thanks
    knack92
    Center Parcs U.K. Accept Apple Pay up to 500 in all there places
    Originally posted by JJB223
    Did they say 500 is the limit or is this in your experience?
    • jbryce
    • By jbryce 9th Oct 16, 9:22 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    jbryce
    They must be mistaken as I have used Apple Pay through the Mondo App to top up my Mondo card with 100 and it has all worked fine. Thats from a Lloyds Debit Card.
    Originally posted by Helix
    Monzo (they changed their name since you posted this) don't use Apple Pay for top-ups, they do it using a standard cardholder not present transaction.
    • JJB223
    • By JJB223 10th Oct 16, 11:30 AM
    • 46 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    JJB223
    Did they say 500 is the limit or is this in your experience?
    Originally posted by knack92
    I used it to pay 95 at the sports bar and when I said i thought it was a 30 limit the member of staff advised that all the Center parcs terminals allowed up to 500 on Apple Pay
    • 20aday
    • By 20aday 10th Oct 16, 3:18 PM
    • 1,731 Posts
    • 700 Thanks
    20aday
    I use the website MacRumors and Pizza Hut (in Stoke on Trent at least) also offer Apple Pay over 30.

Another poster on there also said Premier Inn accept it over 30 also.
    It's not your credit score that counts, it's your account conduct and credit history.
    • knack92
    • By knack92 11th Oct 16, 1:53 AM
    • 383 Posts
    • 186 Thanks
    knack92
    I used it to pay 95 at the sports bar and when I said i thought it was a 30 limit the member of staff advised that all the Center parcs terminals allowed up to 500 on Apple Pay
    Originally posted by JJB223
    Interesting, thanks.
    • Anthorn
    • By Anthorn 13th Oct 16, 11:25 PM
    • 2,512 Posts
    • 644 Thanks
    Anthorn
    In theory at least applepay is not itself contactless so shouldn't be subject to the max 30 contactless rule. It doesn't even need to have contactless cards associated with it because when a card is added so is the CVV. What it really comes down to is what banks and CC issuers allow and what retailers allow. That's why there is variation.
    Saving for Xmas 2017 - A pound a day - 30/365

Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean that someone isn't out to get you

Unsliced bread: You can have it any thickness you want! The wonders of modern technology.
    • reclusive46
    • By reclusive46 14th Oct 16, 4:47 AM
    • 2,679 Posts
    • 808 Thanks
    reclusive46
    Pretty much any Global payments, WorldPay or Elavon terminal (Bank issued and configured, not ones that retailers have integrated into their systems) will support Apple Pay transactions of atleast 500. I think Global payments supports up to 2000 (which is the same as the Apple Store).
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,378Posts Today

5,975Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Going to a very exciting premier right now... with Mrs and mini MSE, to the screening of "we're going on a bear hunt"

• No. Not a huge fan. Never claimed to be.Just a fan. And one who choose to prioritise family time with his little gi? https://t.co/lZ9uUylk2U

• I've just checked the score. You're right. What happened? https://t.co/5E7y52r47o

• Follow Martin