Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Karl
    • By MSE Karl 13th May 16, 4:21 PM
    • 48Posts
    • 14Thanks
    MSE Karl
    Octopus Energy reviews: Give your feedback
    • 13th May 16, 4:21 PM
    Octopus Energy reviews: Give your feedback 13th May 16 at 4:21 PM
    This is a feedback thread on energy supplier

Octopus Energy

Please share your experience with other MoneySavers. Click reply to take part
    • Did your switch go smoothly?
    • Have you had problems since?
    • Is it easy to contact?
    The feedback comes as part of the

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 14-09-2017 at 2:53 PM.
Page 5
    • fox warrior
    • By fox warrior 29th Jan 18, 4:58 PM
    • 81 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    fox warrior
    British Gas exit fees
    I've noticed that the on my CEC results page, the British Gas Fixed till 28th Feb 2019 has exit fees of £60. Looking on the British Gas website they have a tariff HomeEnergy Capped Feb 2019 that has exit fees of £20 per fuel making a total of £40. Are these the same tariffs, if so why the difference in exit fess?
    Thanks for reading. Live long & prosper
    • MSE Dan L
    • By MSE Dan L 29th Jan 18, 5:22 PM
    • 648 Posts
    • 396 Thanks
    MSE Dan L
    I've noticed that the on my CEC results page, the British Gas Fixed till 28th Feb 2019 has exit fees of £60. Looking on the British Gas website they have a tariff HomeEnergy Capped Feb 2019 that has exit fees of £20 per fuel making a total of £40. Are these the same tariffs, if so why the difference in exit fess?
    Originally posted by fox warrior
    Hi Fox Warrior

These are two different tariffs:
    - HomeEnergy Capped Feb 2019 has £40 exit fees
    - All Online Feb 2019 has £60 exit fees

I hope this helps.
    • fox warrior
    • By fox warrior 1st Feb 18, 11:29 AM
    • 81 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    fox warrior
    Jus got an email from Octopus,

We've updated your tariff!

As of the 1st of February you are on the MSE Octopus 14M Fixed Tariff.

Your tariff details are:

Electricity
    Standard unit rate - 13.11p per kWh
    X
    Standing charge – 17.85p per day

Gas
    Unit rate – 2.88p per kWh
    Standing charge – 17.85p per kWh

Tariff start date – 1st of February
    Tariff end date – 1st of April 2019

Now that's what I call efficient. Sit back and wait for the £25 now.
    Thanks for reading. Live long & prosper
    • ASavvyBuyer
    • By ASavvyBuyer 3rd Feb 18, 11:56 AM
    • 673 Posts
    • 1,686 Thanks
    ASavvyBuyer
    We were so impresed when we helped an older relative sign up for Octopus Energy (and thank you to all that have used her link ) that we decided to sign up ourselves for our electricity.

Again, the sign up was very easy and the account is already set up ready for changeover later this month.

Even though the rates are slightly more than the cheapest available, the £50 cashback more than cancels out the difference for us, and if anyone uses our link it makes it even more worthwhile switching to Octopus.

Turns out the tariffs are the same as the 14 month MSE Collective deal, but for just 12 months instead of 14 and you get £50 cashback instead of £12.50 for a single utility switch.

It is worth checking the referrals board for the latest referral links.
    Last edited by ASavvyBuyer; 03-02-2018 at 12:16 PM. Reason: typo
    • gsmlnx
    • By gsmlnx 4th Feb 18, 10:30 AM
    • 780 Posts
    • 624 Thanks
    gsmlnx
    @familyguy321
    Please remove the referral link as they are not allowed in this board. There is a special Referral Board and that is the only place where those links can be posted.
    • ASavvyBuyer
    • By ASavvyBuyer 10th Feb 18, 5:04 PM
    • 673 Posts
    • 1,686 Thanks
    ASavvyBuyer
    We were so impresed when we helped an older relative sign up for Octopus Energy (and thank you to all that have used her link ) that we decided to sign up ourselves for our electricity.

Again, the sign up was very easy and the account is already set up ready for changeover later this month.

Even though the rates are slightly more than the cheapest available, the £50 cashback more than cancels out the difference for us, and if anyone uses our link it makes it even more worthwhile switching to Octopus.

Turns out the tariffs are the same as the 14 month MSE Collective deal, but for just 12 months instead of 14 and you get £50 cashback instead of £12.50 for a single utility switch.

It is worth checking the referrals board for the latest referral links.
    Originally posted by ASavvyBuyer
    Our transfers to Octopus Energy for our electric supply appear to be going very well.

We are getting timely updates from Octopus of where we are in the switch process.

Relative has already received confirmation of no objection from Iresa and meter reading required at the end of next week.

For us, Iresa don't appear to be objecting, so should get the all clear to move to the next stage early next week.

When taking into account the referral cashback credit; they are certainly cheaper than other suppliers for our usage and area.
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 10th Feb 18, 6:01 PM
    • 5,195 Posts
    • 3,183 Thanks
    Hengus
    Our transfers to Octopus Energy for our electric supply appear to be going very well.

We are getting timely updates from Octopus of where we are in the switch process.

Relative has already received confirmation of no objection from Iresa and meter reading required at the end of next week.

For us, Iresa don't appear to be objecting, so should get the all clear to move to the next stage early next week.

When taking into account the referral cashback credit; they are certainly cheaper than other suppliers for our usage and area.
    Originally posted by ASavvyBuyer
    Like you, I have just switched to Octopus: my 5th electrical switch in 13 months. It really is to early to provide feedback. Suffice to say that these ‘family and friends’ deals are not making it easy for the consumer who has just started down the switching road to compare deals. Following recent changes to Ofgem’s Confidence Code, PCWs can now include cashback in annual cost comparisons but ‘family deals’ remain hidden unless people can be bothered to read feedback forums.
    • Rishi and Blu
    • By Rishi and Blu 13th Feb 18, 10:05 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Rishi and Blu
    Just switched as Octopus was cheapest for me and I liked their green credentials. It went smoothly, online account shows correct credit, correct DD amount has been taken. So far so good. I should save about 150 pounds a year switching from First Utility variable tariff. They have no exit fees and their standard fixed tariff is 50% renewable, they also have 100% renewable energy tariffs (gas emissions are offset through environmental projects) at least this is what they claim. If you switch using a referral link you and the person who's link it is get 50 credit when switching is complete, you will get your own link straightaway too.
    • diamond dave
    • By diamond dave 14th Feb 18, 1:41 PM
    • 586 Posts
    • 360 Thanks
    diamond dave
    octopus energy
    Best energy company ever! They were the only one of the big six whose switch was faultless.Never had the slightest problem with them.Having said that, I have just switched to Outfox themarket!! as they were much cheaper. I'll bet that the price goes up and I'll be back to Octopus soon.
    • phillw
    • By phillw 14th Feb 18, 5:24 PM
    • 1,162 Posts
    • 713 Thanks
    phillw
    Having said that, I have just switched to Outfox themarket!! as they were much cheaper. I'll bet that the price goes up and I'll be back to Octopus soon.
    Originally posted by diamond dave
    I assume you did the same as me and went for out fox the markets variable tariff? In some respects the fixed tariff is probably a better deal, but I didn't like the 18 months tie in with a relatively large exit fee as I have some uncertainty.
    • diamond dave
    • By diamond dave 14th Feb 18, 9:25 PM
    • 586 Posts
    • 360 Thanks
    diamond dave
    octopus
    Yep thats what i did - unless it goes up by 20% I'm better off. As there's no exit fee I'd be surprised if I stay there for that long.
    • LeicesterJohn
    • By LeicesterJohn 16th Feb 18, 4:40 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    LeicesterJohn
    Problem on Switch
    Submitted 6/2.
    On 14/2 they state National Database says I have E7 meter and said they would put me on E7 tariff. WHAT!! With no discussion!!?
    Just because the meter can split the readings doesn't mean I have to have E7 tariff - don't have storage htrs and it's def not in my interest.
    My readings for years have always been for a standard tariff so no splits have been recorded. Octopus just come up with an arbitrary split out of thin air! I have objected and despite a response saying our average reply time is 12 hrs and despite a reminder I'm up to 48hrs+ and still waiting (& this is the enhanced service negotiated with MSE?!).
    Beginning to think I've made a mistake switching to them.
    Awaiting reply but may end up cancelling at this rate
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 17th Feb 18, 8:52 AM
    • 5,195 Posts
    • 3,183 Thanks
    Hengus
    Submitted 6/2.
    On 14/2 they state National Database says I have E7 meter and said they would put me on E7 tariff. WHAT!! With no discussion!!?
    Just because the meter can split the readings doesn't mean I have to have E7 tariff - don't have storage htrs and it's def not in my interest.
    My readings for years have always been for a standard tariff so no splits have been recorded. Octopus just come up with an arbitrary split out of thin air! I have objected and despite a response saying our average reply time is 12 hrs and despite a reminder I'm up to 48hrs+ and still waiting (& this is the enhanced service negotiated with MSE?!).
    Beginning to think I've made a mistake switching to them.
    Awaiting reply but may end up cancelling at this rate
    Originally posted by LeicesterJohn
    Call them. A family member is switching an E7 meter to them at the moment. He was advised that the transfer has to go through as an E7 meter. Once the transfer has been completed, then they will switch him internally to single rate billing. The meter will still remain as an E7 meter on the database.
    • LeicesterJohn
    • By LeicesterJohn 17th Feb 18, 12:09 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    LeicesterJohn
    Looked all over the website and their emails for a phone no but couldn't see one -anybody know what it is?
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 17th Feb 18, 12:33 PM
    • 5,195 Posts
    • 3,183 Thanks
    Hengus
    looked all over the website and their emails for a phone no but couldn't see one -anybody know what it is?
    Originally posted by leicesterjohn
    0808 164 1088
    • FullForce
    • By FullForce 17th Feb 18, 12:34 PM
    • 79 Posts
    • 31 Thanks
    FullForce
    Looked all over the website and their emails for a phone no but couldn't see one -anybody know what it is?
    Originally posted by LeicesterJohn
    0808 164 1088

https://octopus.energy/contact-us/

or if you prefer to pay for your calls

0330 808 1080

Lines are open Mon-Fri, 9am-5pm

https://octopus.energy/press-enquiries/
    Last edited by FullForce; 17-02-2018 at 12:44 PM.
    • missmaybesaver
    • By missmaybesaver 17th Feb 18, 2:17 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    missmaybesaver
    You can also send them a message via Facebook Messenger - they usually reply pretty quickly.
    • TheGardener
    • By TheGardener 23rd Feb 18, 4:28 PM
    • 2,210 Posts
    • 2,096 Thanks
    TheGardener
    Latest collective switch to Octopus went very smoothly - only fly in the ointment was the early DD request from the housekeeping budget account (good job the bank texts me if there is insufficient funs in an account) ALL my DDs leave on the 1st of the month and I had selected this date for my Octopus DDs - wasn't expecting the 'up front' months payment DD today!! So we are in effect paying a month in advance - I didn't spot that in the small print (yes I know its there ...)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

145Posts Today

1,570Users online

Martin's Twitter