Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Karl
    • By MSE Karl 13th May 16, 4:21 PM
    • 19Posts
    • 3Thanks
    MSE Karl
    Octopus Energy reviews: Give your feedback
    • 13th May 16, 4:21 PM
    Octopus Energy reviews: Give your feedback 13th May 16 at 4:21 PM
    This is a feedback thread on energy supplier

Octopus Energy

Please share your experience with other MoneySavers. Click reply to take part
    • Did your switch go smoothly?
    • Have you had problems since?
    • Is it easy to contact?
    The feedback comes as part of the

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 14-09-2017 at 2:53 PM.
Page 2
    • gloops48
    • By gloops48 22nd Mar 17, 1:04 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    gloops48
    Octopus Energy feedback
    One month in and so far, so good. Took 18 days from applying to switch to Octopus to the actual switch date. They kept me informed with prompt, clear emails, and sent me meter reading reminders. (This compares very well with BG, which has recently bombarded me with emails containing irrelevant or contradictory info and baffling final statements and even more baffling Transaction History, which I had to phone BG about to have explained - even then didn't understand it).
    • bluepete1875
    • By bluepete1875 12th Apr 17, 5:08 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    bluepete1875
    First Time Switch to Octopus Energy
    Have just started the process of switching energy suppliers via MSE for the first time - on the promise of saving £307 a year - let's hope it all works smoothly!
    • fox warrior
    • By fox warrior 27th Apr 17, 11:34 AM
    • 72 Posts
    • 17 Thanks
    fox warrior
    Just started the switch today. I'ts more money than my cuurrent EDF tariff but that was the cheapest tariff for many years. It was an MSE Cheap Energy Club collective deal last year. I've been in contact with Octopus by phone and email. They have been very quick to respond and answered all my queries very clearly. The switch takes 17 days to complete including the 14 day cool off period. I'll update how things are going.
    • fox warrior
    • By fox warrior 28th Apr 17, 11:15 AM
    • 72 Posts
    • 17 Thanks
    fox warrior
    First contact from Octopus
    Got 3 emails today. One from the CEO of Octopus thanking me for choosing Octopus and explaining about the company. One explaining about referring other people and getting cash back as follows "We'd love it if you told your friends about us. While you're at it, get a £15 cash back for each referral, for both you and your friend!" and one with my start date, (15th May), direct debit arrangements and a couple of attachments. One is the terms and conditions and the other is a welcome on-board with full tariff information for gas and electricity. This one has a link to create a password for my account. I clicked the link, set my password and checked out my details. Everything is looking good. I'll update how things are going.
    • nats04
    • By nats04 29th Apr 17, 10:59 AM
    • 9 Posts
    • 1,146 Thanks
    nats04
    I signed up for Octopus on Thursday night (27 April) and so far I'm really impressed! The website is simple and straightforward, their emails are also very clear.

My savings are estimated at about £160 per year, but my main reason for switching was the whole attitude and ethos of this company. It's just so refreshing!
    Fingers crossed the switch goes well. I've been told to submit a meter reading on 9th May and they even send a handy calendar reminder! My service start date is May 14th. I will post an update once everything is switched.

**Update Sunday 30th April: received emails from British Gas confirming that my new supplier has contacted them to make the switch and providing estimated bills.
    Last edited by nats04; 30-04-2017 at 8:59 AM. Reason: Update
    • fox warrior
    • By fox warrior 29th Apr 17, 11:18 AM
    • 72 Posts
    • 17 Thanks
    fox warrior
    I'm new to MSE forums and noticed that the Avatars aren't visible against members names. It was annoying me so I experimented to find a fix, which I did. If your interested,

I've been trying things out. The skin that you get when you register, "Use Forum Default (recommended)", (the blue skin), doesn't display the MSE pre-defined images even though one is selected by default. It does however show a custom Avatar that you upload. The skin that I switched to, "New masthead, fixed width (recommended), (the green skin), shows all Avatars. That's why members using the blue skin can't see pre-defined Avatars created on the green skin. I've tried everything I can think of to get the blue skin to show pre-defined Avatars but I can't get it to work. I've sent a message to "Technical Problems" hoping they can offer a solution. If anyone reading this is having the same problem I recommend swithing to the green skin, "New masthead, fixed width (recommended) . It looks a lot different but it works better and once you get to know it you won't go back. You can easily switch back from the green skin via "User CP" in the green bar if you can't get happy with it. That takes you to "Your Profile" where you can make the changes.
    • fox warrior
    • By fox warrior 2nd May 17, 11:17 AM
    • 72 Posts
    • 17 Thanks
    fox warrior
    Surveys
    Had quite a lot of feedback surveys. Ok if you don't mind doing them but I'm still in the cool off period so there's nothing that matters to report / feedback. I am still very happy with Octopus.
    Thanks for reading. Live long & prosper
    • fox warrior
    • By fox warrior 11th May 17, 8:55 AM
    • 72 Posts
    • 17 Thanks
    fox warrior
    Nearly there
    Got email reminder to put meter readings in yesterday, 10/05/2017. I had the option of entering the readings in the email itself but I have already got my log on, to my account so I put them in there. Shortly after that I got an email reminding me about my direct debit details. I can't fault them up to now.
    • liverbirdie
    • By liverbirdie 13th May 17, 8:01 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    liverbirdie
    I signed up to switch from EDF last week whilst on holiday, so been doing some research. I emailed octopus to clarify a few things, and they got back each time really quickly. I have an economy7 meter which caused a problem cause EDF take both readings and combine so charge me one tariff. There new tariff is far to expensive. I have no use for E7. So as soon as the switch is completed they will arrange to change my meter. They charge £50, even adding that to the cost is still going to save me on my current provider by at least £20pm on their new tariff. Hoping it all goes smoothly.
    • sheff6107
    • By sheff6107 13th May 17, 8:46 PM
    • 439 Posts
    • 293 Thanks
    sheff6107
    All went smoothly except they've nabbed £88 because 'it's nice to have a bit of credit'. So with paying off my old supplier I'm down £200 this month.
    • fox warrior
    • By fox warrior 15th May 17, 2:13 PM
    • 72 Posts
    • 17 Thanks
    fox warrior
    Switch completed
    My switch completed today, 15/May/2017. No problems, very efficient, very good communications and customer service. I have no hesitation in recommending Octopus.

In response to sheff6107, it will have been made clear to you that the first direct debit would be taken upfront giving you adequate warning to budget for it.
    • michellej1980
    • By michellej1980 22nd Jun 17, 2:11 PM
    • 26 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    michellej1980
    I'm considering switching from EDF to Octopus. I read that they do a referral scheme. Not sure how it works but would anyone like to refer me to get a £15 Amazon voucher each?
    • Neil Jones
    • By Neil Jones 22nd Jun 17, 7:23 PM
    • 732 Posts
    • 392 Thanks
    Neil Jones
    It's not Amazon voucher, it's just £15.

Refer a friend

Share your referral link with friends and family, and for every friend who switches with it we’ll give you both £15, paid directly into your bank accounts.
    That being said, UKPower seems to suggests is a voucher but the Octopus site says it's £15 into your bank account so I would trust the main Octopus site.
    • foobarbaz21
    • By foobarbaz21 30th Jun 17, 3:18 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    foobarbaz21
    Just got my renewal email from Octopus Energy today and I have decided to renew my fixed tariff with them for another 12 months. The tariff is about £50 cheaper than last year, but it wasn't the cheapest around. So Energy and Bristol Energy were approximately £30 cheaper for the year; however, I like Octopus Energy's philosophy and I want them to be around longer, so I don't mind that they weren't the cheapest.
    • michellej1980
    • By michellej1980 30th Jun 17, 5:33 PM
    • 26 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    michellej1980
    Thanks Neil for the referral link. I signed up a few days ago so hopefully we should both get our £15 shortly.

If anyone comes across this thread and would like to use my referral link to get £15 for joining, here it is: https://share.octopus.energy/airy-kudu-526
    • solorize
    • By solorize 7th Jul 17, 8:17 AM
    • 65 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    solorize
    Very impressed
    So far I have been extremely impressed with Octopus.

Their customer service is excellent and a breath of fresh air
    to deal with. (Other companies should take note, this is
    the way customer service should be; bright and cheerful,
    courteous and most of all really helpful).

The whole switching process, (I switched from EDF due to
    their massive price hike!), has been painless and I have been
    informed every step of the way, with clear to read emails.

The website and app show all information in a clean well presented,
    and easy to read format.

I have already recommended Octopus to other family members,
    with my parents already starting the switching process.

Keep up the good work.
    • michellej1980
    • By michellej1980 14th Jul 17, 3:00 PM
    • 26 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    michellej1980
    My switch to Octopus is now complete! It was straightforward and hassle-free and like solorize says, I was kept updated at every step with simple emails. So far so good!
    • fox warrior
    • By fox warrior 14th Jul 17, 4:09 PM
    • 72 Posts
    • 17 Thanks
    fox warrior
    I've no problems with Octopus or my previous supplier EDF but they still haven't agreed my gas reading. This is often the case whoever you switch from and to. The only thing I'll keep a very close eye on is that both my final readings for gas and electricity from EDF are the same as my start readings for Octopus. One other thing to check, if you can be bothered is that the number of standing charge days are correct and don't overlap.
    • eleana
    • By eleana 15th Aug 17, 10:37 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    eleana
    @michellej1980, I used your referral code yesterday when signed up Octopus
    • gloops48
    • By gloops48 25th Aug 17, 6:42 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    gloops48
    I switched to Octopus in early 2017 when MSE wasn’t able to arrange a Big Collective Switch. I found Octopus generally prompt, efficient and informative. They emailed a reminder punctually every month for my meter readings. I didn’t have any problems with them but decided to switch (penalty-free) to another provider in May after MSE managed to organise a Collective deal, which was somewhat cheaper than Octopus.

With hindsight, I wish I’d stayed put, despite the modest saving. The new provider seemed rather disorganised, I had problems with its website, and they took so long to pass on my switch-date readings that Octopus had to (over-)estimate to prepare my closing bill, leading to my being charged by both providers for the same several units of Gas. However, once this came to light, Octopus refunded the overcharge promptly, efficiently and courteously: impressive. I would have no hesitation in returning to Octopus, if the price was right.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,462Posts Today

6,917Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: 'Sometimes the best gift is releasing somebody else from the obligation of having to give to you' says @MartinSLewis. Do y?

• Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Follow Martin