Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • myteeduck
    • By myteeduck 5th May 16, 2:22 PM
    • 302Posts
    • 451Thanks
    myteeduck
    Cat being sick
    • 5th May 16, 2:22 PM
    Cat being sick 5th May 16 at 2:22 PM
    Hi all

I have a cat. She will be 12 this year and I got her when she was 9 almost 10. Since I got her, she throws up almost weekly. It went on for about a year, nearly always on a Sunday. Then we had a bit of time when there was barely anything - she was eating a cat food which she seemed to like and we cut her portions down. She is a small cat and barely has any teeth (apparently her previous owner didn't keep up with her dental hygiene so when they took her for re homing, she ended up loosing most of her teeth).

She also had a flea allergy for the time that she wasn't being sick which took almost 12 months to sort. There was a few months later and then the sickness started again. Because the sickness was more frequent and coincided with her feeding, so we thought the food was too rich for her and changed it.

She is still being sick, but its not as frequent, but she keeps eating grass in order to be sick. She still only ever throws up on a Sunday.

I'm reluctant to take her to the vets as she is fine in every other sense, weight is fine, she is wormed and fleaded, and her toilet habits haven't changed. She is not insured and when she had her flea allergy, they couldn't help and i ended up sorting this myself with tea tree spray.

Has anyone ever come across anything similar, if so what did you do?
    Last edited by myteeduck; Today at 12:12 AM.
    Car Paid in full - 10/06/2016
Page 2
    • LyndaKerry
    • By LyndaKerry 18th May 16, 9:25 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    LyndaKerry
    Hey,

I have a cat that is around your cat's age. We have the same issues at home, unfortunately. The reason is(and I'm sure of it)the loss of her teeth. She can't chew hard foods and just swallows them. Try to give your cat milk, mash and everything in small pieces. I guarantee you'll see a results.
    • TBagpuss
    • By TBagpuss 18th May 16, 12:47 PM
    • 4,591 Posts
    • 5,989 Thanks
    TBagpuss
    Take he to the vet. They will be able to properly advise you. As you are out at work in the week it is possible that this is happening much mre frequently. If she is throwing up undigested food she may then eat it ifit is not immediately cleared up, and she may be throwing up outside if she ha access to the outside when you are out.

It is likely related to her teeth but could be a more serious issue
    • myteeduck
    • By myteeduck 19th May 16, 9:51 AM
    • 302 Posts
    • 451 Thanks
    myteeduck
    Hi

I am at work.
    She does not eat it back up - she leaves it for me to find and she doesn't have access to the outside so I know exactly when she is being sick.

She has been completely find since Monday, so I think it was a rush to eat again. I have been mushing the food up even more and she has loads of water to drink.

If she throws up one more time in the next 2 weeks, I will take her to the vets, but as she is still acting like a kitten, I know there is nothing majorly wrong.

x
    • rita-rabbit
    • By rita-rabbit 29th May 16, 5:55 PM
    • 1,455 Posts
    • 1,069 Thanks
    rita-rabbit
    cats should not vomit regularly

vet needs to rule out something more serious. After that you have options, such as changing the food, feeding smallar amounts more often etc.

btw I don't recommend the food the vet may "suggest" - purely diagnosis & any medication. I preferred to offer raw food mixed with tinned catfood. I ground it myself for my more sickly cat & gave chunks to the other one. Senior or other manufactured catfood isn't all that great for them - just profitable for the manufacturers & retailers.
    • mrsp1987
    • By mrsp1987 2nd Jun 16, 9:25 PM
    • 689 Posts
    • 3,237 Thanks
    mrsp1987
    I think it's worth getting checked out. Even if it's irregular or semi-regular I still think it should be looked at. If you're curious enough to post on here and ask questions then maybe you already have a gut instinct something's not quite right?
    Mortgage April 2011: 108,499 30 yr term Current Mortgage 96,211.87 20 yrs 10 months left
    O/P Fund: 2,054.38/1,000
    Tilly Tidy #11: I've completely lost count!!
    MFiT T4 #67 - Reduce mortgage from 99,310.76 to 80,000. Currently 95,440.35
    • Georgiegirl256
    • By Georgiegirl256 4th Jun 16, 10:38 AM
    • 6,555 Posts
    • 18,605 Thanks
    Georgiegirl256
    If she throws up one more time in the next 2 weeks, I will take her to the vets, but as she is still acting like a kitten, I know there is nothing majorly wrong.

x
    Originally posted by myteeduck
    No you don't. Are you a vet? No. Any unexplained vomiting should be examined by a vet, and if your main reason for not taking her is because of the cost, and because he'll have to do more tests = more cost (of course he will to try and rule things out) well I'm sorry, but you are doing your animal a dis-service.

Our cat has just 2 teeth and manages perfectly well eating, and that includes eating hard dry food, so it's unlikely to be that. He at one point was vomiting more than usual, but also had other symptoms of diarrhea and blood in his poo, it turned out he had a blockage and needed an emergency operation.

If it turns out to be nothing, well that's great, but it's been going on that long now, that you should have had her down ages ago.
    • Melaniep101
    • By Melaniep101 8th Jun 16, 12:47 PM
    • 609 Posts
    • 2,278 Thanks
    Melaniep101
    My old cat has always been a bit sickly, but the vomiting got worse a few years ago. Got to the point where she was sick daily - turned out she had an over active thyroid, which I believe is common in older cats. She's on Felimazole twice daily now and rarely get piles of vomit to clear up these days. She's 15 this year.
    Save 12k in 2016: #005. 1000/12,000

Pay ALL your debt off by Xmas 2016: #51 300/10,000
    • Shoshannah
    • By Shoshannah 17th Jun 16, 11:35 PM
    • 600 Posts
    • 603 Thanks
    Shoshannah
    IBD until proven otherwise, though I agree that hyperthyroidism is high up on the list.

Threads like this frustrate me. You say you don't want to go to the vet until you know what is wrong and how to treat it, but expect a bunch of random people you don't know from Adam to 'diagnose' over the internet without having seen your cat?

Does she have an abdominal mass or intestinal thickening? Would you know?

People accuse vets of being money-focused but it seems to be the owners that are more driven by cost in many cases. If I'm worried about my cat, he gets seen by the relevant expert or gets the relevant tests.
    Last edited by Shoshannah; 17-06-2016 at 11:39 PM.
    Learn to live with what you can't rise above.
    Old Fords never die.
    Thinking of Plan B muddies up your chances of succeeding at Plan A.

• myteeduck
    • By myteeduck 22nd Sep 16, 1:10 PM
    • 302 Posts
    • 451 Thanks
    myteeduck
    Hi

Just an update on this.

My cat is fine now. She stopped being sick the moment I changed her food. I think the food that I was feeding her was too rich.

We both moved back in with my parents and since then she has flourished! She eats biscuits in the morning, has wet food at night, plays out all day, sleeps all night and seems a lot better than she was. I knew that there was nothing majorly wrong with her and I have been proved correct.

Thank you for your advice.
    • no1catman
    • By no1catman 22nd Sep 16, 1:21 PM
    • 2,175 Posts
    • 1,595 Thanks
    no1catman
    My cat used to be sick in the early hours - I'd be woken up by the sound of her retching! Had to have the duvet cleaned after one episode.
    After it became too frequent I took her to the vet. I gave her an anti-nausea jab - which she didn't like retreated back into her carrier! And also a tablet for five days -can't remember what it was called - but had to sign a disclaimer!
    He did say - 'don't worry if it's only being sick once a week'.
    Fortunately, apart from the jab making her sleep for ages - it's worked.
    I used to work for Tesco - now retired - speciality Clubcard
    • Person_one
    • By Person_one 22nd Sep 16, 1:41 PM
    • 25,348 Posts
    • 87,113 Thanks
    Person_one
    I knew that there was nothing majorly wrong with her and I have been proved correct.
    Sorry, but I find this a worrying attitude.

You aren't a vet, you didn't know there was nothing major wrong with her, you hoped there wasn't and you got lucky (well, the cat did.)

If she becomes ill again and you again don't get her seen by a vet in a timely manner, you would actually be breaking the law.
    • myteeduck
    • By myteeduck 22nd Sep 16, 8:33 PM
    • 302 Posts
    • 451 Thanks
    myteeduck
    Sorry, but I find this a worrying attitude.

You aren't a vet, you didn't know there was nothing major wrong with her, you hoped there wasn't and you got lucky (well, the cat did.)

If she becomes ill again and you again don't get her seen by a vet in a timely manner, you would actually be breaking the law.
    Originally posted by Person_one
    If she was seriously ill I would take her straight to the vet. I am not heartless. The vomiting wasn't after every meal, it was randomly every Sunday. If she had been throwing up after every meal, or even more than she was, I would have had no issues with picking her up and taking her straight to the vet.
    • Person_one
    • By Person_one 23rd Sep 16, 12:02 PM
    • 25,348 Posts
    • 87,113 Thanks
    Person_one
    If she was seriously ill I would take her straight to the vet. I am not heartless.
    She was vomiting weekly for over a year and you didn't take her.
    • helcat26
    • By helcat26 24th Sep 16, 3:03 PM
    • 721 Posts
    • 1,924 Thanks
    helcat26
    Our cat vomits if it has decided to have its mad half hour immediately after eating. This involves running full speed up and down the stairs a few times, fighting the rug and trying to jump off the landing.
    I think I would throw up as well if I did that immediately after breakfast.

So poor !!!!!cat gets breakfast in 2 portions even if she complains. Minimizes risk of chucking up.

I think where you cat comes from factors into this - ours- Breadcat- came to us hungry: she was found eating the bread we put out for the birds. So she has a tendency to bolt her food like it is her last meal.

Even so sometimes she suddenly decides she does not like any cat food or other food we have in the house! Then she turns her nose up causing me to be frantic with worry for her. I have been know to go out and buy and cook a chicken to tempt her!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,893Posts Today

7,173Users online

Martin's Twitter