Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • fudge7000
    • By fudge7000 1st May 16, 7:23 PM
    • 178Posts
    • 523Thanks
    fudge7000
    Waiting for a buyer... Anyone want to join me?
    • #1
    • 1st May 16, 7:23 PM
    Waiting for a buyer... Anyone want to join me? 1st May 16 at 7:23 PM
    Anyone else out there selling and going through trying to keep the house tidy 24/7 so it doesn't take hours to sort out when there's a viewing?!
    Along with trying to second guess what the people viewing will do/offer/not offer...?

    Only been for sale a week, I assume it just gets worse from here on in?

    Not really done this before so thought I'd see if anyone else is in the same boat!
    First win (October) - Apple Ipod off a radio competition
    November - new nokia mobile phone, 250 electrical voucher (both radio comptitions)
    March - 2 cinema tickets to see 27 dresses (radio again!)

Page 97
    • tomryan89
    • By tomryan89 18th May 17, 8:07 AM
    • 39 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    tomryan89
    Sounds like some people are having some success - congratulations!

    Thought I'd post to share my experience for others - last week, we reduced the price for a second time so now 30k under our original listing price.

    After two months of no second viewings and no offers - this week we've already had one offer and have 5 second viewings booked in!
    • Crashy Time
    • By Crashy Time 18th May 17, 12:32 PM
    • 4,052 Posts
    • 1,943 Thanks
    Crashy Time
    Sounds like some people are having some success - congratulations!

    Thought I'd post to share my experience for others - last week, we reduced the price for a second time so now 30k under our original listing price.

    After two months of no second viewings and no offers - this week we've already had one offer and have 5 second viewings booked
    in!
    Originally posted by tomryan89

    Good move.
    • kelpie35
    • By kelpie35 18th May 17, 3:25 PM
    • 1,393 Posts
    • 4,292 Thanks
    kelpie35
    At least Crashy Time sellers are taking on board your advice.
    • Crashy Time
    • By Crashy Time 19th May 17, 1:23 PM
    • 4,052 Posts
    • 1,943 Thanks
    Crashy Time
    At least Crashy Time sellers are taking on board your advice.
    Originally posted by kelpie35

    Well the price drop seemed to do the trick in this case anyway......
    • happytails
    • By happytails 19th May 17, 10:53 PM
    • 1,428 Posts
    • 9,085 Thanks
    happytails
    Our viewer from last week wants a second viewing this week - She is going to call EA over the weekend to arrange a day/time.

    In the meantime im trying to keep it clean and tidy (with 3 young kids!!) and finish off all the little odd jobs so when she comes back she will love it more!

    We had a gardener come today to mow the 3 foot tall grass in our garden! I cleaned the built in oven and grill to within an inch of its life & managed to get rid of a bin bag of 'clutter' from our house too!

    Tonight im going to paint my bathroom ceiling - we had it plastered in Feb and i hadnt got around to painting it!

    I hope the viewing is earlier in the week than later so I can relax after it!
    Sarah, Mummy to Amber, Lucas and Evelyn.

    Member No43 - % Challenge
    • toc25
    • By toc25 20th May 17, 6:55 AM
    • 113 Posts
    • 122 Thanks
    toc25
    Good luck happytails, hope all your hard work pays off
    • Pumpkim
    • By Pumpkim 20th May 17, 9:00 AM
    • 41 Posts
    • 51 Thanks
    Pumpkim
    Good luck Happytails, hope she loves it.

    We've accepted the offer on our house but they are still trying to find another buyer since theirs changed their mind! We've set a 4 week time limit before we actively market again. They do live in a really popular area with an ideal FTB house (I've had a nose on Rightmove ), so fingers crossed it gets an offer again soon.
    Probably a really stupid move but we are where we are and we haven't found anything yet so hopefully it will all work out.
    Must.Think.Positive

    In other news two more houses have gone up for sale near me, one on my street but only 2 beds has gone up for the same price, nicer garden than us but internal decor and condition pretty similar. Be interesting to see what it eventually sells for. The other is a 3 bed terrace in the estate behind us, on for 5k less, which makes me think we are definitely priced about right.
    • tomryan89
    • By tomryan89 20th May 17, 9:12 AM
    • 39 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    tomryan89
    So after 5 second viewings we've only had one offer - on the market now for 380k and the offer is for 366k / we bought the flat for 345k three years ago.

    We've asked for the weekend to think about it, a very hard decision because it's so much under our expectations from three months ago.

    Is it stupid just to take the hit when you factor in we will have to take stamp duty and pay for our lease extension? We'd still come out either slightly over the equity we put in.
    • Clutterfree
    • By Clutterfree 20th May 17, 9:52 AM
    • 3,429 Posts
    • 18,811 Thanks
    Clutterfree
    So after 5 second viewings we've only had one offer - on the market now for 380k and the offer is for 366k / we bought the flat for 345k three years ago.

    We've asked for the weekend to think about it, a very hard decision because it's so much under our expectations from three months ago.

    Is it stupid just to take the hit when you factor in we will have to take stamp duty and pay for our lease extension? We'd still come out either slightly over the equity we put in.
    Originally posted by tomryan89
    Could you not do a counter offer of say 370k?

    We had an offer of 15k under asking so we counter offered with 10k under asking which was agreed. Both parties happy.
    Ageing is a privilege not everyone gets
    • juniordoc
    • By juniordoc 20th May 17, 10:38 AM
    • 91 Posts
    • 54 Thanks
    juniordoc
    With so many second viewings and so few offers you should think seriously about this tomryan.
    Is that their opening offer? If so you may be able to get 370 but with no other serious interest you cant afford to be too picky. How long have you been on the market?
    • toc25
    • By toc25 20th May 17, 10:44 AM
    • 113 Posts
    • 122 Thanks
    toc25
    Congrats pumpkim, fingers crossed they find a buyer soon and you can find your new home. Good luck
    • toc25
    • By toc25 20th May 17, 10:46 AM
    • 113 Posts
    • 122 Thanks
    toc25
    Tomryan have you asked your estate agent to try and see if they can get them to push the offer up slightly to get to a level you are comfortable with.
    • LoopyLoops
    • By LoopyLoops 20th May 17, 11:02 AM
    • 89 Posts
    • 141 Thanks
    LoopyLoops
    So after 5 second viewings we've only had one offer - on the market now for 380k and the offer is for 366k / we bought the flat for 345k three years ago.

    We've asked for the weekend to think about it, a very hard decision because it's so much under our expectations from three months ago.

    Is it stupid just to take the hit when you factor in we will have to take stamp duty and pay for our lease extension? We'd still come out either slightly over the equity we put in.
    Originally posted by tomryan89
    Has the EA gone back to try and negotiate a slightly higher offer?

    I guess you have to work out what is more important, waiting to see if you get more, or getting moving? It is a tough call.

    We started out at a higher price than we are at now / offer we took. We originally went on the market end of last year. We have already had 2 sales fall through. We weighed up the less money over just getting on with our lives. We are ready to move. We are relocating, so a big change for the whole family. I am fed up with feeling our lives are on hold, so we took the offer.
    • tomryan89
    • By tomryan89 21st May 17, 10:11 AM
    • 39 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    tomryan89
    Thanks for the comments everyone.

    Yes, this is the improved offer after the EA went back and told him we expected something closer to the asking price - im not annoyed however, if he thinks that's what it's worth then who am I to argue!

    We are leaning towards accepting it after a day of contemplations​ - do we really want to be in limbo for longer? Can we put up with endless cleaning for viewings? Do we want to constantly be discussing are EA performance?

    I just want it over with now!
    • smallholdingsister
    • By smallholdingsister 21st May 17, 11:36 AM
    • 3,068 Posts
    • 23,125 Thanks
    smallholdingsister
    Tom maybe ask the agent to see if they will up it a bit? That's what we did. Final offer 40 k over the first.
    • Gemandcraig
    • By Gemandcraig 21st May 17, 7:50 PM
    • 31 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Gemandcraig
    We offered 170k on a house that was offers over 190k. EA came back tuesday and said 180 they would take - we said we stick at 170k FTB mortgage approved. EA rang friday at 6pm and left voicemail so dont know if sellers changed minds or what
    • happytails
    • By happytails 22nd May 17, 9:18 AM
    • 1,428 Posts
    • 9,085 Thanks
    happytails
    Tomryan - fingers crossed they up their offer a bit!

    This weekend we did some more painting - most of the rooms that the kids spend a lot of time in have been repainted - you know how it is with kids, sticky fingers, marks on the walls and the occasional crayon mark

    This afternoon I'll be tidying away all the paint and DIY stuff as the EA has lead me to believe there will be a second viewing from the ftb that came the week before last.
    Sarah, Mummy to Amber, Lucas and Evelyn.

    Member No43 - % Challenge
    • LoopyLoops
    • By LoopyLoops 22nd May 17, 9:30 AM
    • 89 Posts
    • 141 Thanks
    LoopyLoops
    Hope you get the second viewing happytails.

    Totally agree on sticky fingers! The wall down the stairs and the banister seem to be constantly mucky no matter what I do......
    • hazyjo
    • By hazyjo 22nd May 17, 4:52 PM
    • 8,996 Posts
    • 11,247 Thanks
    hazyjo
    Sat's viewing went okay, didn't really give much away - but EA rang today to say they've only just started looking and want to see what's around and they've not ruled it out.


    They may just be polite... who knows.


    Good luck all!


    Jx
    2017 wins: Opera tickets; film preview; lipstick; Ideal Home Show tickets + afternoon tea & bottle of Champagne; 2 cases of NKD; notebook; bath rack; book; film Premiere; Broadchurch DVDs
    • sHAYM4N
    • By sHAYM4N 22nd May 17, 5:01 PM
    • 21 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    sHAYM4N
    Looks like I can join this thread now Our apartment buyer has just pulled out with 3 days until completion. After 3 months they've apparently only just read in the leasehold documents that they are not allowed pets. (Despite when asking why we wanted to move - we told them it was so we could get a house with a dog) Also being told that whilst not allowed, half of the block have cats, cat flaps a dog on the ground floor etc..

    So our purchase of our first house is likely to fall through because of a 12 year old Chiwawa.
    Valuation cancelled just in time, half of our belongings now moved out, and back to square one. We did have another interested party who is now looking into a mortgage, just really need a lucky break right now!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

87Posts Today

1,513Users online

Martin's Twitter