Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • fudge7000
    • By fudge7000 1st May 16, 7:23 PM
    • 179Posts
    • 523Thanks
    fudge7000
    Waiting for a buyer... Anyone want to join me?
    • 1st May 16, 7:23 PM
    Waiting for a buyer... Anyone want to join me? 1st May 16 at 7:23 PM
    Anyone else out there selling and going through trying to keep the house tidy 24/7 so it doesn't take hours to sort out when there's a viewing?!
    Along with trying to second guess what the people viewing will do/offer/not offer...?

Only been for sale a week, I assume it just gets worse from here on in?

Not really done this before so thought I'd see if anyone else is in the same boat!
    First win (October) - Apple Ipod off a radio competition
    November - new nokia mobile phone, £250 electrical voucher (both radio comptitions)
    March - 2 cinema tickets to see 27 dresses (radio again!)

Page 97
    • happytails
    • By happytails 19th May 17, 10:53 PM
    • 1,506 Posts
    • 9,215 Thanks
    happytails
    Our viewer from last week wants a second viewing this week - She is going to call EA over the weekend to arrange a day/time.

In the meantime im trying to keep it clean and tidy (with 3 young kids!!) and finish off all the little odd jobs so when she comes back she will love it more!

We had a gardener come today to mow the 3 foot tall grass in our garden! I cleaned the built in oven and grill to within an inch of its life & managed to get rid of a bin bag of 'clutter' from our house too!

Tonight im going to paint my bathroom ceiling - we had it plastered in Feb and i hadnt got around to painting it!

I hope the viewing is earlier in the week than later so I can relax after it!
    Sarah,

Trying to move up the house ladder in 2017, running a business with 3 kids in tow & slowly going crazy!
    Member No43 - % Challenge
    • toc25
    • By toc25 20th May 17, 6:55 AM
    • 224 Posts
    • 222 Thanks
    toc25
    Good luck happytails, hope all your hard work pays off
    • Pumpkim
    • By Pumpkim 20th May 17, 9:00 AM
    • 199 Posts
    • 228 Thanks
    Pumpkim
    Good luck Happytails, hope she loves it.

We've accepted the offer on our house but they are still trying to find another buyer since theirs changed their mind! We've set a 4 week time limit before we actively market again. They do live in a really popular area with an ideal FTB house (I've had a nose on Rightmove ), so fingers crossed it gets an offer again soon.
    Probably a really stupid move but we are where we are and we haven't found anything yet so hopefully it will all work out.
    Must.Think.Positive

In other news two more houses have gone up for sale near me, one on my street but only 2 beds has gone up for the same price, nicer garden than us but internal decor and condition pretty similar. Be interesting to see what it eventually sells for. The other is a 3 bed terrace in the estate behind us, on for £5k less, which makes me think we are definitely priced about right.
    • tomryan89
    • By tomryan89 20th May 17, 9:12 AM
    • 44 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    tomryan89
    So after 5 second viewings we've only had one offer - on the market now for £380k and the offer is for £366k / we bought the flat for £345k three years ago.

We've asked for the weekend to think about it, a very hard decision because it's so much under our expectations from three months ago.

Is it stupid just to take the hit when you factor in we will have to take stamp duty and pay for our lease extension? We'd still come out either slightly over the equity we put in.
    • Clutterfree
    • By Clutterfree 20th May 17, 9:52 AM
    • 3,463 Posts
    • 18,975 Thanks
    Clutterfree
    So after 5 second viewings we've only had one offer - on the market now for £380k and the offer is for £366k / we bought the flat for £345k three years ago.

We've asked for the weekend to think about it, a very hard decision because it's so much under our expectations from three months ago.

Is it stupid just to take the hit when you factor in we will have to take stamp duty and pay for our lease extension? We'd still come out either slightly over the equity we put in.
    Originally posted by tomryan89
    Could you not do a counter offer of say £370k?

We had an offer of £15k under asking so we counter offered with £10k under asking which was agreed. Both parties happy.
    Ageing is a privilege not everyone gets
    • juniordoc
    • By juniordoc 20th May 17, 10:38 AM
    • 223 Posts
    • 164 Thanks
    juniordoc
    With so many second viewings and so few offers you should think seriously about this tomryan.
    Is that their opening offer? If so you may be able to get 370 but with no other serious interest you cant afford to be too picky. How long have you been on the market?
    • toc25
    • By toc25 20th May 17, 10:44 AM
    • 224 Posts
    • 222 Thanks
    toc25
    Congrats pumpkim, fingers crossed they find a buyer soon and you can find your new home. Good luck
    • toc25
    • By toc25 20th May 17, 10:46 AM
    • 224 Posts
    • 222 Thanks
    toc25
    Tomryan have you asked your estate agent to try and see if they can get them to push the offer up slightly to get to a level you are comfortable with.
    • LoopyLoops
    • By LoopyLoops 20th May 17, 11:02 AM
    • 95 Posts
    • 153 Thanks
    LoopyLoops

Originally posted by tomryan89
    Has the EA gone back to try and negotiate a slightly higher offer?

I guess you have to work out what is more important, waiting to see if you get more, or getting moving? It is a tough call.

We started out at a higher price than we are at now / offer we took. We originally went on the market end of last year. We have already had 2 sales fall through. We weighed up the less money over just getting on with our lives. We are ready to move. We are relocating, so a big change for the whole family. I am fed up with feeling our lives are on hold, so we took the offer.
    • tomryan89
    • By tomryan89 21st May 17, 10:11 AM
    • 44 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    tomryan89
    Thanks for the comments everyone.

Yes, this is the improved offer after the EA went back and told him we expected something closer to the asking price - im not annoyed however, if he thinks that's what it's worth then who am I to argue!

We are leaning towards accepting it after a day of contemplations​ - do we really want to be in limbo for longer? Can we put up with endless cleaning for viewings? Do we want to constantly be discussing are EA performance?

I just want it over with now!
    • smallholdingsister
    • By smallholdingsister 21st May 17, 11:36 AM
    • 3,529 Posts
    • 27,381 Thanks
    smallholdingsister
    Tom maybe ask the agent to see if they will up it a bit? That's what we did. Final offer 40 k over the first.
    • Gemandcraig
    • By Gemandcraig 21st May 17, 7:50 PM
    • 36 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Gemandcraig
    We offered 170k on a house that was offers over 190k. EA came back tuesday and said 180 they would take - we said we stick at 170k FTB mortgage approved. EA rang friday at 6pm and left voicemail so dont know if sellers changed minds or what
    • happytails
    • By happytails 22nd May 17, 9:18 AM
    • 1,506 Posts
    • 9,215 Thanks
    happytails
    Tomryan - fingers crossed they up their offer a bit!

This weekend we did some more painting - most of the rooms that the kids spend a lot of time in have been repainted - you know how it is with kids, sticky fingers, marks on the walls and the occasional crayon mark

This afternoon I'll be tidying away all the paint and DIY stuff as the EA has lead me to believe there will be a second viewing from the ftb that came the week before last.
    Sarah,

Trying to move up the house ladder in 2017, running a business with 3 kids in tow & slowly going crazy!
    • LoopyLoops
    • By LoopyLoops 22nd May 17, 9:30 AM
    • 95 Posts
    • 153 Thanks
    LoopyLoops
    Hope you get the second viewing happytails.

Totally agree on sticky fingers! The wall down the stairs and the banister seem to be constantly mucky no matter what I do......
    • hazyjo
    • By hazyjo 22nd May 17, 4:52 PM
    • 9,796 Posts
    • 12,417 Thanks
    hazyjo
    Sat's viewing went okay, didn't really give much away - but EA rang today to say they've only just started looking and want to see what's around and they've not ruled it out.

They may just be polite... who knows.

Good luck all!

Jx
    2017 wins: Opera tickets; film preview; lipstick; Ideal Home Show tickets + afternoon tea & bottle of Champagne; 2 cases of NKD; notebook; bath rack; books; film Premiere; Broadchurch DVDs; lipbalms; hamper (food/wine/Echo Dot/Jo Malone goodies); Avon lippies; cowhide rug; Windsor luxury break, foundation; Flybe flight
    • sHAYM4N
    • By sHAYM4N 22nd May 17, 5:01 PM
    • 39 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    sHAYM4N
    Looks like I can join this thread now Our apartment buyer has just pulled out with 3 days until completion. After 3 months they've apparently only just read in the leasehold documents that they are not allowed pets. (Despite when asking why we wanted to move - we told them it was so we could get a house with a dog) Also being told that whilst not allowed, half of the block have cats, cat flaps a dog on the ground floor etc..

So our purchase of our first house is likely to fall through because of a 12 year old Chiwawa.
    Valuation cancelled just in time, half of our belongings now moved out, and back to square one. We did have another interested party who is now looking into a mortgage, just really need a lucky break right now!
    • hazyjo
    • By hazyjo 22nd May 17, 5:25 PM
    • 9,796 Posts
    • 12,417 Thanks
    hazyjo
    Looks like I can join this thread now Our apartment buyer has just pulled out with 3 days until completion. After 3 months they've apparently only just read in the leasehold documents that they are not allowed pets. (Despite when asking why we wanted to move - we told them it was so we could get a house with a dog) Also being told that whilst not allowed, half of the block have cats, cat flaps a dog on the ground floor etc..

So our purchase of our first house is likely to fall through because of a 12 year old Chiwawa.
    Valuation cancelled just in time, half of our belongings now moved out, and back to square one. We did have another interested party who is now looking into a mortgage, just really need a lucky break right now!
    Originally posted by sHAYM4N
    Aww that's really tough. All it takes is one person to tell them 'I'd not risk it' and they were probably put off.

Presume you'd not exchanged. (Never pack/move a thing until after!)

Good luck!

Jx
    2017 wins: Opera tickets; film preview; lipstick; Ideal Home Show tickets + afternoon tea & bottle of Champagne; 2 cases of NKD; notebook; bath rack; books; film Premiere; Broadchurch DVDs; lipbalms; hamper (food/wine/Echo Dot/Jo Malone goodies); Avon lippies; cowhide rug; Windsor luxury break, foundation; Flybe flight
    • LoopyLoops
    • By LoopyLoops 22nd May 17, 7:45 PM
    • 95 Posts
    • 153 Thanks
    LoopyLoops

Originally posted by sHAYM4N
    Oh no!! How dang frustrating and disappointing. Hope the other person that was interested is able to get the mortgage.
    • happytails
    • By happytails 22nd May 17, 9:03 PM
    • 1,506 Posts
    • 9,215 Thanks
    happytails
    sHAYM4N - how annoying! I'd be so upset. fingers crossed the next viewers want it and go all the way!

Well EA called this morning and we have the viewer coming for a 2nd look tomorrow at 4pm! Spent the afternoon cleaning and tidying and getting the overflowing washing basket under control. I wonder how many second viewings lead to offers and how many dont?

Hubby has been instructed to pick kids up from school with dog and go out with them in car tomorrow. I'll finish up tidying and liberally spray some room spray before heading out so the EA can do the viewing. Fingers crossed they still like it and put an offer in.

I sent 6 local conveyancers some enquires on costs this evening - trying to make sure we know who to go with before we get the offer to speed things along some.

Sarah
    Sarah,

• tomryan89
    • By tomryan89 23rd May 17, 10:39 AM
    • 44 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    tomryan89
    Ok we accepted the offer!

Got a bit wobbly near the end as the buyer didn't know about planning permissions being granted to build more flats on the roof but after some questions he said he didn't care!

So after 20+ viewings, 5 second viewings, 2 price reductions we had 1 offer - accepted and now hoping it all sticks together !
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

701Posts Today

6,385Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I believe I can boldly go where no twitter poll has gone before https://t.co/HA0jC92gAK

• OK I'm wilting to public pressure and there will be a star trek captain's poll at some point next week

• I can get that. My order is 1. Picard 2. Janeway 3. Kirk. Too early to say where Lorca will end up (or would you? https://t.co/kawtCOe9RA

• Follow Martin