Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • fudge7000
    • By fudge7000 1st May 16, 7:23 PM
    • 179Posts
    • 523Thanks
    fudge7000
    Waiting for a buyer... Anyone want to join me?
    • 1st May 16, 7:23 PM
    Waiting for a buyer... Anyone want to join me? 1st May 16 at 7:23 PM
    Anyone else out there selling and going through trying to keep the house tidy 24/7 so it doesn't take hours to sort out when there's a viewing?!
    Along with trying to second guess what the people viewing will do/offer/not offer...?

Only been for sale a week, I assume it just gets worse from here on in?

Not really done this before so thought I'd see if anyone else is in the same boat!
    First win (October) - Apple Ipod off a radio competition
    November - new nokia mobile phone, £250 electrical voucher (both radio comptitions)
    March - 2 cinema tickets to see 27 dresses (radio again!)

Page 82
    • golly99
    • By golly99 20th Apr 17, 8:02 AM
    • 442 Posts
    • 153 Thanks
    golly99
    3 viewings booked in now for Sat..seen a place we really like and offered asking price but not sold so fingers crossed one of the 3 put in a bid pronto! Good luck all, doing some touch up jobs over the next 2 nights!
    • hazyjo
    • By hazyjo 20th Apr 17, 10:14 AM
    • 9,525 Posts
    • 12,014 Thanks
    hazyjo
    Everyone's doing well! Will keep my fingers crossed it all works out x
    2017 wins: Opera tickets; film preview; lipstick; Ideal Home Show tickets + afternoon tea & bottle of Champagne; 2 cases of NKD; notebook; bath rack; books; film Premiere; Broadchurch DVDs; lipbalms; hamper (food/wine/Echo Dot/Jo Malone goodies); Avon lippies; cowhide rug; Windsor luxury break, foundation; Flybe flight
    • Lovem
    • By Lovem 20th Apr 17, 1:44 PM
    • 168 Posts
    • 184 Thanks
    Lovem
    Another viewing today booked on ours. Last minute one! So fingers crossed that is a good sign.

Our house went on other yet another agent last night 10 clicked for more details and 6 have saved it out of the 10.
    • chrissie83
    • By chrissie83 20th Apr 17, 2:43 PM
    • 42 Posts
    • 60 Thanks
    chrissie83
    Congratulations Kieron & SHS!!
    Good luck to those with viewings soon.

I've just spoken to our EA, he said it's gone quiet on our road lately. He thinks we should knock 2-3k off the house price from £99.995 to get people through the door. I'm unsure though as we might be a bit close to the bone with having enough equity to move etc. We had one of the awful northern rock 'together' mortgages for 9 years ( didn't understand the loan part or all it involved till recently) we were 22 & had no idea
    What is everyone's opinion on putting it at overs over 95k ( would accept 98) or is it a silly idea?
    • ognum
    • By ognum 20th Apr 17, 3:08 PM
    • 4,469 Posts
    • 6,719 Thanks
    ognum
    Congratulations Kieron & SHS!!
    Good luck to those with viewings soon.

I've just spoken to our EA, he said it's gone quiet on our road lately. He thinks we should knock 2-3k off the house price from £99.995 to get people through the door. I'm unsure though as we might be a bit close to the bone with having enough equity to move etc. We had one of the awful northern rock 'together' mortgages for 9 years ( didn't understand the loan part or all it involved till recently) we were 22 & had no idea
    What is everyone's opinion on putting it at overs over 95k ( would accept 98) or is it a silly idea?
    Originally posted by chrissie83
    Unless you are in a busy, bouyant market it is daft to advertise offers over IMO. You are likely to get an offer of 95,500 and then have to refuse!
    • chrissie83
    • By chrissie83 20th Apr 17, 4:10 PM
    • 42 Posts
    • 60 Thanks
    chrissie83
    That's a very good point!
    Wish I had half a clue about this house selling business ��
    • Lovem
    • By Lovem 20th Apr 17, 4:31 PM
    • 168 Posts
    • 184 Thanks
    Lovem
    No official feedback yet but viewings started off with a (major) hiccup nothing to do with us on our side...but the EA.

Hopefully, the viewers can see past it. First impressions and all that jazz
    • Lovem
    • By Lovem 20th Apr 17, 7:17 PM
    • 168 Posts
    • 184 Thanks
    Lovem
    From experience, do people normally book a second viewing when they visit the first time or wait a few days later?
    • smallholdingsister
    • By smallholdingsister 20th Apr 17, 7:53 PM
    • 3,320 Posts
    • 26,027 Thanks
    smallholdingsister
    People don't always have a second viewing.
    • Lovem
    • By Lovem 20th Apr 17, 8:16 PM
    • 168 Posts
    • 184 Thanks
    Lovem
    Originally posted by smallholdingsister
    True! We didn't but then we lived in the area. So that was a bonus for us. It took 3 weeks before we put in an offer as we were waiting on another price for a house.
    • PeterPanic
    • By PeterPanic 21st Apr 17, 7:34 AM
    • 26 Posts
    • 83 Thanks
    PeterPanic
    Originally posted by smallholdingsister
    True, I put in an offer the same afternoon I viewed the property. However, I know the area pretty well (my parents live there) and I had already looked at quite a few properties. This was the first of four viewings that day and each subsequent viewing convinced me even more that this was the house for me,

As soon as the final viewing was over I went over to the estate agents office, made a £15K under asking offer and printed off my mortgage offer and proof of deposit to show I was a serious buyer.

Two weeks later I returned to Australia for 4 months and the property completed 5 weeks ago so I still haven't actually seen it properly as yet. Moving back to the UK in two weeks so will finally get to move in.

Actually, of the three properties I have bought in my life I have only had a single viewing on all of them!
    • Lovem
    • By Lovem 21st Apr 17, 7:58 AM
    • 168 Posts
    • 184 Thanks
    Lovem
    Best of luck today everyone x One viewing on our house and hopefully, positive feedback etc from yesterday.

I just had a look at our 'Online performance' our conversion rate is tripple the branch average. As long as people are calling for viewings I will not worry too much for now.
    • Lovem
    • By Lovem 21st Apr 17, 7:59 AM
    • 168 Posts
    • 184 Thanks
    Lovem
    True, I put in an offer the same afternoon I viewed the property. However, I know the area pretty well (my parents live there) and I had already looked at quite a few properties. This was the first of four viewings that day and each subsequent viewing convinced me even more that this was the house for me,

As soon as the final viewing was over I went over to the estate agents office, made a £15K under asking offer and printed off my mortgage offer and proof of deposit to show I was a serious buyer.

Two weeks later I returned to Australia for 4 months and the property completed 5 weeks ago so I still haven't actually seen it properly as yet. Moving back to the UK in two weeks so will finally get to move in.

Actually, of the three properties I have bought in my life I have only had a single viewing on all of them!
    Originally posted by PeterPanic
    Best of luck for when you finally get home and the keys to your new home.
    • Clutterfree
    • By Clutterfree 21st Apr 17, 8:28 AM
    • 3,455 Posts
    • 18,945 Thanks
    Clutterfree
    TBH I think years ago most people only had one viewing and perhaps another further down the line for measuring up.
    I blame the likes of Kirstie and Phil (Location) who always say "are there any you'd like to have second viewing?" which has made people think they ought to have another look.
    Ageing is a privilege not everyone gets
    • houndour
    • By houndour 21st Apr 17, 8:42 AM
    • 99 Posts
    • 97 Thanks
    houndour
    Hi everyone,

We've just had 3 quotes from estate agents all with different advice. I'm so confused and don't know what to do!

One says 300k is what the house is worth and what we'll get. Another valued at 320k (me thinking accept 310k). Another thinks £310k but wants to start it off at £325k.

Any advice from your experiences?

Bit more info might be useful...
    2 identical houses nearby currently for sale. One for £325k (has loft space as extra to ours - just been reduced to £325k) and one for £310k (very similar, ours needing less work).
    Last edited by houndour; 21-04-2017 at 8:45 AM.
    • Clutterfree
    • By Clutterfree 21st Apr 17, 8:52 AM
    • 3,455 Posts
    • 18,945 Thanks
    Clutterfree
    Hi everyone,

We've just had 3 quotes from estate agents all with different advice. I'm so confused and don't know what to do!

One says 300k is what the house is worth and what we'll get. Another valued at 320k (me thinking accept 310k). Another thinks £310k but wants to start it off at £325k.

Any advice from your experiences?
    Originally posted by houndour
    We sold last year.
    We had 3 quotes;
    £330k to get £320k
    £320k to get £310k
    £285k

We went with the estate agent that we liked best and he happened to be the one who said £330k to get £320k.
    You also have bear in mind any tie in periods, etc.

We accepted an offer of £320k so he was spot on!

I've no idea what the £285k agent was thinking - perhaps he had a mate he wanted to get it cheap for!

We worked out all our figures on the worst case scenario of getting £300k and having to buy the one we wanted at full asking price.
    In the end we got the one we wanted for £25k under asking price so were able to move mortgage free!

Good luck.

PS Congratulations Smallholdingsister! Really pleased for you - we were both on here last year, must have been so stressful for you.
    Last edited by Clutterfree; 21-04-2017 at 8:54 AM.
    Ageing is a privilege not everyone gets
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 21st Apr 17, 9:00 AM
    • 23,135 Posts
    • 88,494 Thanks
    Davesnave
    TBH I think years ago most people only had one viewing and perhaps another further down the line for measuring up.
    I blame the likes of Kirstie and Phil (Location) who always say "are there any you'd like to have second viewing?" which has made people think they ought to have another look.
    Originally posted by Clutterfree
    I don't think P&K were around in 1977, when I had 3 viewings of my first property.

Three viewings is standard for me, and each one will serve a different purpose.

That first property was on the market a week and went to sealed bids, so it doesn't have to take long.
    'A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they'll never sit in.'
    • phoebe1989seb
    • By phoebe1989seb 21st Apr 17, 11:15 AM
    • 3,087 Posts
    • 6,338 Thanks
    phoebe1989seb
    Hoping Smallholdingsister - and everyone else - gets good news today!

We generally have two viewings, but often the second one has been after we've had an offer accepted. Last-but-one purchase (long distance as we were selling in Essex and buying in Wiltshire) we viewed once, offered, then went back to check out a few things as it was a listed building with some suspicious unfinished work we wanted to look at more closely. Glad we did, as we discovered a deal breaker (to do with an adjoining piece of land) that caused us to pull out

Next move, we conducted a viewing of the house we were selling as our EA was unavailable. The lady viewing - who we'd been warned was flakey by said EA - burst into tears half way round and made an asking price offer on the spot, direct to us. Slightly taken aback we said we'd get our EA to contact her. We'd already had two offers at below AP that day (one from a cash buyer), which we'd not accepted as we wanted to see where this one went.

On speaking to our EA that afternoon, he confirmed her offer, but said she needed to bring her DH to see the house at the weekend (it was Tuesday) which of course set alarm bells ringing. They lived two miles away so not sure why he couldn't view any earlier. We tentatively accepted via our EA as they were in a short chain and spent the rest of the week biting our nails.

Saturday came and so did our 'buyers'. Her DH loved the house as much as she did and the whole selling process was tied up in nine weeks
    Paid off mortgage early - mortgage-free since age 40 (2007)

Over £40,000 mis-sold PPI reclaimed
    • Lovem
    • By Lovem 21st Apr 17, 4:09 PM
    • 168 Posts
    • 184 Thanks
    Lovem
    Any ideas on how to get a neighbour to shush their mouth? Next door is fine he is harmless...with exception to his mouth. He talks complete nonsense about one house on the street! Lucky for us our viewers yesterday bumped into him. I am no detective but I bet he put the nail in the coffin with them crossing our house off from what he told me that he passed onto them. I would have run a mile! 99.9% of what he said is not even the truth. So yeah
    Last edited by Lovem; 21-04-2017 at 7:06 PM.
    • sulphate
    • By sulphate 21st Apr 17, 4:30 PM
    • 1,077 Posts
    • 3,163 Thanks
    sulphate
    New to this thread and just want to vent my frustration... put house on market end of Feb and accepted an offer the same week from a keen FTBer... we then found a house and had our offer accepted. Have instructed and paid solicitors, got our mortgage offer. It all went quiet for a couple of weeks but I was in and out of hospital due to another life disaster and understood our buyer was away so wasn't really thinking about it all. A week ago our EA said he was suddenly having trouble getting hold of our buyer. Today she emailed our EA confirming that she is withdrawing her offer because she has found another house she prefers. Why do people still look at houses once they've found one/make offers on houses they don't really want? We cancelled viewings after accepting her offer and have spent money on our purchase that I am hoping will still go ahead, house has been off the market for 6 weeks, but all this time she has been hedging her bets and looking at other houses.

Anyway, we are away this weekend and have a viewing lined up tomorrow so fingers crossed for a quick offer again!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,094Posts Today

8,494Users online

Martin's Twitter