Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • fudge7000
    • By fudge7000 1st May 16, 7:23 PM
    • 179Posts
    • 523Thanks
    fudge7000
    Waiting for a buyer... Anyone want to join me?
    • #1
    • 1st May 16, 7:23 PM
    Waiting for a buyer... Anyone want to join me? 1st May 16 at 7:23 PM
    Anyone else out there selling and going through trying to keep the house tidy 24/7 so it doesn't take hours to sort out when there's a viewing?!
    Along with trying to second guess what the people viewing will do/offer/not offer...?

    Only been for sale a week, I assume it just gets worse from here on in?

    Not really done this before so thought I'd see if anyone else is in the same boat!
    First win (October) - Apple Ipod off a radio competition
    November - new nokia mobile phone, £250 electrical voucher (both radio comptitions)
    March - 2 cinema tickets to see 27 dresses (radio again!)

Page 80
    • hazyjo
    • By hazyjo 18th Apr 17, 12:34 PM
    • 9,328 Posts
    • 11,773 Thanks
    hazyjo
    Can I ask, if you'd received an offer 10K to 15K lower than your previous asking price, would you have accepted? If so then "offers over" a price 10K below that previous price is not going to do any good and will put off anyone considering an offer in that range.

    Also, what is you reasoning behind waiting for a year. If you can't afford what you want in Leigh-on-Sea now, then you can never afford it - even more so if house prices go up! Unless your area increases in value and Leigh-On-Sea reduces in value for some reason...
    Originally posted by kilby_007


    Yep, we would have taken £10k less, not £15k. And I agree with you - but people are weird psychologically. The EA said to us that someone else dropped and then had several people view and a few offers and it went over. There really is no explanation to people's madness when it comes to property.


    We couldn't drop any more and can't take less than the min it's up for, so we might as well give it a try before giving up, or letting it sit on the market.


    The reasoning behind waiting a year is that Chingford has gone up more than Leigh on Sea - and my house is worth nearly £100k more than what I'm buying for. Moving to LoS to lose most of the mortgage. That means the gap should always work in my favour, unless L-o-S suddenly goes through the roof and overtakes NE London. Yes, it might, but the chances are Chingford will always hold more value as it's London and on the edges of some even nicer areas, plus next to areas like Walthamstow and Highams Park which have actually gone up more than mine (mine's nearly doubled in four years).


    I've followed both markets for years so am pretty au fait with how they've fared.


    Oh, and there's now a General Election in June so I think that's just killed off an already slow market LOL! Rubbish timing re selling...


    Jx
    2017 wins: Opera tickets; film preview; lipstick; Ideal Home Show tickets + afternoon tea & bottle of Champagne; 2 cases of NKD; notebook; bath rack; books; film Premiere; Broadchurch DVDs; lipbalms; hamper (food/wine/Echo Dot/Jo Malone goodies); Avon lippies
    • golly99
    • By golly99 18th Apr 17, 12:40 PM
    • 442 Posts
    • 153 Thanks
    golly99
    Seen a property we love but unfortunately need to sell ours but on for a while so reduced by 5k...is it worth tagging it with Offers in the region of to try to tempt bidders or does it not work?
    • hazyjo
    • By hazyjo 18th Apr 17, 12:42 PM
    • 9,328 Posts
    • 11,773 Thanks
    hazyjo
    Seen a property we love but unfortunately need to sell ours but on for a while so reduced by 5k...is it worth tagging it with Offers in the region of to try to tempt bidders or does it not work?
    Originally posted by golly99
    Wouldn't make any difference to me - I'd make an offer anyway. Rare for anyone to pay asking price against no competition.


    Jx
    2017 wins: Opera tickets; film preview; lipstick; Ideal Home Show tickets + afternoon tea & bottle of Champagne; 2 cases of NKD; notebook; bath rack; books; film Premiere; Broadchurch DVDs; lipbalms; hamper (food/wine/Echo Dot/Jo Malone goodies); Avon lippies
    • Lovem
    • By Lovem 18th Apr 17, 1:29 PM
    • 168 Posts
    • 184 Thanks
    Lovem
    Good luck with the viewing Lovem!!
    Originally posted by LoopyLoops
    Thank you! Viewing is not until the weekend. At least the flowers that I bought will have opened up by then.
    • Cinders:
    • By Cinders: 18th Apr 17, 2:31 PM
    • 132 Posts
    • 784 Thanks
    Cinders:
    EA just called back, the buyers have upped their offer, and we have accepted! I'm thinking that a glass of champagne is in order tonight...or maybe it would be best to wait until completion, as nothing ever runs completely smoothly with us, and am already expecting hiccups along the way.
    SPC # 115
    • amateur house
    • By amateur house 18th Apr 17, 2:37 PM
    • 224 Posts
    • 198 Thanks
    amateur house
    EA just called back, the buyers have upped their offer, and we have accepted! I'm thinking that a glass of champagne is in order tonight...or maybe it would be best to wait until completion, as nothing ever runs completely smoothly with us, and am already expecting hiccups along the way.
    Originally posted by Cinders:
    That was quick, it sounds like your buyers are keen

    I had an offer on a house declined last week and am still trying to decide whether to increase the offer.
    • LoopyLoops
    • By LoopyLoops 18th Apr 17, 3:23 PM
    • 94 Posts
    • 153 Thanks
    LoopyLoops
    Congratulations Cinders! You certainly could celebrate with a glass of something tonight. Fingers crossed it's all straight forward for you.
    • sheff6107
    • By sheff6107 18th Apr 17, 3:35 PM
    • 416 Posts
    • 278 Thanks
    sheff6107
    The problem is that there is a lag with sold house price data so it'll only say overpriced 3 months later!
    • Cinders:
    • By Cinders: 18th Apr 17, 3:47 PM
    • 132 Posts
    • 784 Thanks
    Cinders:
    That was quick, it sounds like your buyers are keen

    I had an offer on a house declined last week and am still trying to decide whether to increase the offer.
    Originally posted by amateur house
    Do you really love the house you're offering on, or is it one of many similar properties that come onto the market quite frequently?
    SPC # 115
    • happytails
    • By happytails 18th Apr 17, 3:47 PM
    • 1,500 Posts
    • 9,207 Thanks
    happytails
    Well Estate agent got back to me about viewing from Saturday - they were FTB's but thought there was too much that needed doing. I personally dont think there is really much that needs doing inside. I've decided that the carpets are going to get replaced as thats the only downfall major inside, the rest are just touch ups and a bit of DIY. The garden is getting done next week so that should help.

    This week & next I plan to -

    Get quotes for carpets throughout upstairs.
    Paint ceiling in bathroom - we had it plastered in Feb.
    Re-seal bath and touch up grout.
    Final coat of paint in hallway
    De-weed front garden

    Sarah
    Sarah,

    Trying to move up the house ladder in 2017, running a business with 3 kids in tow & slowly going crazy!
    Member No43 - % Challenge
    • Cinders:
    • By Cinders: 18th Apr 17, 3:48 PM
    • 132 Posts
    • 784 Thanks
    Cinders:
    Congratulations Cinders! You certainly could celebrate with a glass of something tonight. Fingers crossed it's all straight forward for you.
    Originally posted by LoopyLoops
    Thank you very much, I have a bottle chilling in the fridge already!
    SPC # 115
    • amateur house
    • By amateur house 18th Apr 17, 5:45 PM
    • 224 Posts
    • 198 Thanks
    amateur house
    Do you really love the house you're offering on, or is it one of many similar properties that come onto the market quite frequently?
    Originally posted by Cinders:
    I had originally tried to view a house on the next street but it was sold before I got to see it. That was end terrace and this one is a mid-terrace, but is on for the same price and in less good condition. I don't love this house, but it is somewhere I could live for a few years until I can afford a better house. I could rent and try to save up, but would rather build up equity in a house instead, or at least try to. The house I offered on has been on since September and so far had one other low offer from an investor. I hoped my offer would be high enough to be accepted, but unfortunately not. They are looking for £2.5k more, not much I know, but with the work the house needs I would rather spend any spare cash on that. There isn't a lot new coming on though, so I might reconsider soon.
    • smallholdingsister
    • By smallholdingsister 18th Apr 17, 7:26 PM
    • 3,173 Posts
    • 24,643 Thanks
    smallholdingsister
    Cinders BRAVO and CONGRATULATIONS!

    Lovem GOOD LUCK.

    Golly I don't take much notice of those "price qualifiers".

    Had an offer. Too low.
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 18th Apr 17, 7:30 PM
    • 22,907 Posts
    • 88,048 Thanks
    Davesnave
    .
    Had an offer. Too low.
    Originally posted by smallholdingsister
    Aww....and I had my fingers crossed for you too.

    D'you think they'll come up? They may be just testing the water.
    'A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they'll never sit in.'
    • LoopyLoops
    • By LoopyLoops 18th Apr 17, 7:38 PM
    • 94 Posts
    • 153 Thanks
    LoopyLoops
    Aww....and I had my fingers crossed for you too.

    D'you think they'll come up? They may be just testing the water.
    Originally posted by Davesnave
    Me too, I was really hoping it would be a good offer. Hoping they come back with a better one!!
    • Mr da
    • By Mr da 18th Apr 17, 7:54 PM
    • 54 Posts
    • 113 Thanks
    Mr da
    EA just called back, the buyers have upped their offer, and we have accepted! I'm thinking that a glass of champagne is in order tonight...or maybe it would be best to wait until completion, as nothing ever runs completely smoothly with us, and am already expecting hiccups along the way.
    Originally posted by Cinders:
    Congratulations cinders 😊
    • Mr da
    • By Mr da 18th Apr 17, 8:00 PM
    • 54 Posts
    • 113 Thanks
    Mr da
    My original buyer called around the other day, now renting a few doors down , to say she would still like to buy my place but would rarther not go through the estate agents. I've looked into it and there's no chance we can get away with it. But we've agreed a fee so fingers crossed it works out this time.
    Also debating putting in an offer on a property tomorrow which has been on the market for 18 months, (nothing moving to quickly around here) reduced from £175,000 to £169,000 a few months ago , just what to offer is the question now
    • kieron79
    • By kieron79 18th Apr 17, 8:13 PM
    • 145 Posts
    • 26 Thanks
    kieron79
    10 viewings in now and two offers in 19 days, first was full asking price from 1st person to view but chain fell apart almost immediately. had a close to asking price but needed a little more so they came back at weekend to view again with parents.EA tried to contact a few times today but nothing. they were super keen and raised their offer three times but can't help feeling their parents have put them off. so frustrating not knowing, a phone call just to say yay or nay is all that's needed!
    • Crashy Time
    • By Crashy Time 18th Apr 17, 8:20 PM
    • 4,525 Posts
    • 2,053 Thanks
    Crashy Time
    My original buyer called around the other day, now renting a few doors down , to say she would still like to buy my place but would rarther not go through the estate agents. I've looked into it and there's no chance we can get away with it. But we've agreed a fee so fingers crossed it works out this time.
    Also debating putting in an offer on a property tomorrow which has been on the market for 18 months, (nothing moving to quickly around here) reduced from £175,000 to £169,000 a few months ago , just what to offer is the question now
    Originally posted by Mr da

    150k.....?
    • Cinders:
    • By Cinders: 18th Apr 17, 9:46 PM
    • 132 Posts
    • 784 Thanks
    Cinders:
    Cinders BRAVO and CONGRATULATIONS!

    Lovem GOOD LUCK.

    Golly I don't take much notice of those "price qualifiers".

    Had an offer. Too low.
    Originally posted by smallholdingsister
    Thank you very much, am on my second celebratory glass of fizz so spelling going straight out of the window! Hopefully your potential buyers will up their offer.

    I am absolutely hating this house selling/buying process so much, I just told my better half that I'm never moving again after this. I'm going to have to be carried out of my next home either in a body bag, or a straight jacket!

    Amateur - You sound like you're not really into the house, and it's just a stepping stone. I understand about not wanting to wait too long to buy, but with SDLT and fees it might be better to hold off for a few more months, and something better will probably come along? But who knows - it there a fast turnover of houses in the area you're looking at?
    SPC # 115
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

98Posts Today

1,795Users online

Martin's Twitter