Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • fudge7000
    • By fudge7000 1st May 16, 7:23 PM
    • 179Posts
    • 523Thanks
    fudge7000
    Waiting for a buyer... Anyone want to join me?
    • 1st May 16, 7:23 PM
    Waiting for a buyer... Anyone want to join me? 1st May 16 at 7:23 PM
    Anyone else out there selling and going through trying to keep the house tidy 24/7 so it doesn't take hours to sort out when there's a viewing?!
    Along with trying to second guess what the people viewing will do/offer/not offer...?

Only been for sale a week, I assume it just gets worse from here on in?

Not really done this before so thought I'd see if anyone else is in the same boat!
    First win (October) - Apple Ipod off a radio competition
    November - new nokia mobile phone, £250 electrical voucher (both radio comptitions)
    March - 2 cinema tickets to see 27 dresses (radio again!)

Page 71
    • chrissie83
    • By chrissie83 15th Mar 17, 6:35 PM
    • 70 Posts
    • 80 Thanks
    chrissie83
    Thank you smallholdingsister
    I will maybe get rid of the park picture or make it clear in the description.
    Slinky- I was thinking of swapping rooms, but, the furniture is too big to do that. I am going to re instate the dining room though & declutter more.
    Thank you for all your help
    • ProDave
    • By ProDave 15th Mar 17, 7:10 PM
    • 416 Posts
    • 490 Thanks
    ProDave
    property-for-sale/property-58225069
    .html at the end but not sure it will work ��
    Thanks for your help. I think I know what's wrong with the pictures, we weren't expecting them to be taken that day. Hubby doesn't agree with me though so just wanted a few opinions
    Originally posted by chrissie83
    did you mean to truncate the link?
    Two things stand out:

Is it REALLY leasehold? that will oput a lot of house buyers off. If it's freehold, get that mistake corrected.

I take it the loft room was done without planning permission and building control so cannot be described as anything other than storage. Have you looked at what would be needed to regularise that so it could be described as 3 bedrooms? (might be a lot of expensive structural work if it's not been done properly)
    Last edited by ProDave; 15-03-2017 at 9:14 PM.
    • chrissie83
    • By chrissie83 15th Mar 17, 7:20 PM
    • 70 Posts
    • 80 Thanks
    chrissie83
    Yes I meant to do it that way, so it doesn't appear in search results. Could you remove the link please?
    Yes it is but only £2.50 per year
    It was done before we bought it, hubby thinks it's to do with the stairs as to why it doesn't meet regs
    • smallholdingsister
    • By smallholdingsister 15th Mar 17, 7:20 PM
    • 3,544 Posts
    • 27,512 Thanks
    smallholdingsister
    [COLOR="Indigo"]She did mean to truncate it and it would be kind to delete that bit of your post (I made the same mistake).[

eta cross posted Chrissie./COLOR]
    • chrissie83
    • By chrissie83 15th Mar 17, 7:26 PM
    • 70 Posts
    • 80 Thanks
    chrissie83
    I don't even know if it would appear in search results but I want to be cautious
    • ProDave
    • By ProDave 15th Mar 17, 9:18 PM
    • 416 Posts
    • 490 Thanks
    ProDave
    Sorry, I have removed the link.

Loft conversion could "fail" for any number of reasons, stairs, headroom, not done structurally correctly etc. Though after a certain number of ears building control will not persue it,

Lease may put some off, how long is the lease for? does it come with any restrictions on what you can do?

The colour scheme would not put me off. I can see through that and imagine it decorated to my tastes.
    • chrissie83
    • By chrissie83 15th Mar 17, 9:27 PM
    • 70 Posts
    • 80 Thanks
    chrissie83
    The loft has been done around 20 years ago.

The lease has something like 900 years remaining & no restrictions that I know of.

The pink & the blue bedroom look much more vibrant in the pictures, they are much paler in r.l.
    Thanks for your input & for removing the link
    • forum_posts
    • By forum_posts 16th Mar 17, 11:41 AM
    • 38 Posts
    • 38 Thanks
    forum_posts
    I've just had a Home Buyers survey done on my house and it took 23 minutes.

The surveyor asked me if I had done any major work on the house since I bought it, my reply was no. I asked him did he want to ask me any more more questions, his reply was no. I asked him how much did this cost the buyer and he said up to £700. Seemed far too quick for my liking, I expected more questions and more of an investigation of the property.

I think when I buy I might give a survey a miss and use my eyes and intuition instead.
    • Jox
    • By Jox 16th Mar 17, 11:55 AM
    • 1,251 Posts
    • 2,704 Thanks
    Jox
    I have had 2 surveys done on 2 properties and they both pretty much say the same thing and they can't be too accurate since they can't rip up floor boards or check electrics etc. They have both had photos of issues such as uneven guttering or a missing roof tile or an asbestos shed roof so that is helpful but maybe a walk around with a builder would be better than paying £700 for such a report.
    • tomryan89
    • By tomryan89 17th Mar 17, 11:47 AM
    • 44 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    tomryan89
    Hi everyone ! Thought I would join in!

Somehow we got an offer accepted in a house we love outside of London even before ours was on the market. The sellers of the house have not found anywhere they like yet so I think we were attractive as we wouldn't put lots of pressure on them to move too fast.

We are selling our one bedroom flat in North London. It went on the market last Saturday and we've had two viewings so far. Both said it was nice but we're concerned with the lack of storage.

We haven't got a wardrobe at the moment as ours had to be returned so everthing is on a clothes rail. Thinking about buying a cheap wardrobe so people get a better idea of storage options when the view. Any thoughts?

Bit annoyed that the estate agent has not got any viewings booked in for the weekend after giving us thier whole sales pitch. Am I being too optimistic? Thought we'd be having loads of viewings all the time!
    • hazyjo
    • By hazyjo 17th Mar 17, 11:59 AM
    • 9,802 Posts
    • 12,423 Thanks
    hazyjo
    Hi everyone ! Thought I would join in!

Somehow we got an offer accepted in a house we love outside of London even before ours was on the market. The sellers of the house have not found anywhere they like yet so I think we were attractive as we wouldn't put lots of pressure on them to move too fast.

We are selling our one bedroom flat in North London. It went on the market last Saturday and we've had two viewings so far. Both said it was nice but we're concerned with the lack of storage.

We haven't got a wardrobe at the moment as ours had to be returned so everthing is on a clothes rail. Thinking about buying a cheap wardrobe so people get a better idea of storage options when the view. Any thoughts?

Bit annoyed that the estate agent has not got any viewings booked in for the weekend after giving us thier whole sales pitch. Am I being too optimistic? Thought we'd be having loads of viewings all the time!
    Originally posted by tomryan89
    I'm selling a house in NE London and it's gone so quiet! I have had loads of reduced properties on the rightmove alerts I've had through. Typical LOL.

When people say lack of storage, I'd say they mean more things like where to put the ironing board, iron, hoover, etc. Do you have a cupboard? I hate seeing clothes on rails anyway, and in a one bedroom flat, you really do have to make it as appealing as possible as they're usually harder to shift. Yes, I would get a wardrobe, but not one of those ones with the material in front. What about something like this that's not horrendously pricey and doesn't look cheap http://www.worldstores.co.uk/p/Santiago_2_Door_Wardrobe.htm or http://www.worldstores.co.uk/p/Panama_2_Door_Wardrobe.htm

Jx
    2017 wins: Opera tickets; film preview; lipstick; Ideal Home Show tickets + afternoon tea & bottle of Champagne; 2 cases of NKD; notebook; bath rack; books; film Premiere; Broadchurch DVDs; lipbalms; hamper (food/wine/Echo Dot/Jo Malone goodies); Avon lippies; cowhide rug; Windsor luxury break, foundation; Flybe flight
    • chrissie83
    • By chrissie83 17th Mar 17, 2:18 PM
    • 70 Posts
    • 80 Thanks
    chrissie83
    I did some digging around & found out our house is freehold not leasehold ( you were right proDave- thanks for bringing that up as it made me check.
    We pay 'chief rent' of £2.50 a year not ground rent ( I don't know what it is tbh) & ive checked the title of the property, so I've got the EA to change it on the listing as it might be putting people off.

How is everyone else getting on? The EA said things are very quiet this week
    • ProDave
    • By ProDave 17th Mar 17, 2:54 PM
    • 416 Posts
    • 490 Thanks
    ProDave
    Well out of the blue we have a viewing tomorrow. You never know.
    • smallholdingsister
    • By smallholdingsister 17th Mar 17, 5:04 PM
    • 3,544 Posts
    • 27,512 Thanks
    smallholdingsister
    Fingers crossed!
    • Cinders:
    • By Cinders: 17th Mar 17, 5:16 PM
    • 148 Posts
    • 803 Thanks
    Cinders:
    Good luck Dave, hope they make an offer

Hi Tomryan, that's great that you've had an offer accepted on your new home, I hope your flat sells quickly.

We've got another viewing on our house tomorrow, he's a buy-to-let investor apparently. There's a second viewing on mum's house next week, so planning to travel to her house for a day over the weekend and do some more clearing. The viewer has already asked whether curtains etc will be left in the house, and if we have the user manuals for the boiler, alarm etc, so he seems quite interested.
    SPC # 115
    • depressed_but_determined
    • By depressed_but_determined 17th Mar 17, 7:40 PM
    • 118 Posts
    • 196 Thanks
    depressed_but_determined
    If you have a wee look at my thread further down, we have just had an offer accepted in a private sale. The seller made contact with us after I posted in another forum. Maybe worth looking in the "looking for a house to buy" thread and seeing if anyone is looking in your area.
    We have been extremely lucky. Houses in our area rarely go for under the valuation price and always go to closing dates. We wouldn't have had a look in if this hadn't happened.
    Mortgage approved today and we move in the 18th April!
    Still can't believe it
    LBM: 09/12/2008
    £36000 £0 on 4 cards and a personal loan. Debt Remedy. Signed with CCCS on 14/01/2009 started Feb 2009. Finished March 2016

Lessons learned and facing the struggle have made my life better than I ever thought it could be. Thank you Stepchange and DFW forum
    • Cinders:
    • By Cinders: 20th Mar 17, 12:31 PM
    • 148 Posts
    • 803 Thanks
    Cinders:
    Wow, this thread had gone very quiet. Hopefully it's because you've all had great offers on your properties, and have now moved over to the 'waiting to exchange thread'.

Dave, how did the viewing go?

We've got 2 viewings on mum's house this week. One of them is booked in for a 2 hour viewing as he's bringing a chartered surveyor with him, and wants to do a detailed evaluation of the house.
    SPC # 115
    • hmd1987
    • By hmd1987 20th Mar 17, 12:41 PM
    • 411 Posts
    • 510 Thanks
    hmd1987
    zero luck for us so far...have given notice to our estate agent and planning on trying a new one in a month or 2, see if that helps. Probably won't, but i cant see what we have to lose

good luck cinders - that sounds promising
    • ProDave
    • By ProDave 20th Mar 17, 12:47 PM
    • 416 Posts
    • 490 Thanks
    ProDave
    I thought our viewing went well. they seemed to like everything about the house and it's location, except for the fact it has wooden windows. I pointed out they were all sanded and re varnished last autumn so should be okay without any maintenance.

I know he had at least 2 more houses to look at, so kowing my luck, he will find an equally nice one with UPVC windows.

the longer it goes without the phone ringing the less hopeful I am.
    • Cinders:
    • By Cinders: 20th Mar 17, 2:30 PM
    • 148 Posts
    • 803 Thanks
    Cinders:
    Thank you hmd, I have my fingers crossed

Dave, maybe your EA is just having difficulty getting hold of the viewers.
    SPC # 115
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

162Posts Today

1,359Users online

Martin's Twitter