Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • fudge7000
    • By fudge7000 1st May 16, 7:23 PM
    • 178Posts
    • 523Thanks
    fudge7000
    Waiting for a buyer... Anyone want to join me?
    • 1st May 16, 7:23 PM
    Waiting for a buyer... Anyone want to join me? 1st May 16 at 7:23 PM
    Anyone else out there selling and going through trying to keep the house tidy 24/7 so it doesn't take hours to sort out when there's a viewing?!
    Along with trying to second guess what the people viewing will do/offer/not offer...?

Only been for sale a week, I assume it just gets worse from here on in?

Not really done this before so thought I'd see if anyone else is in the same boat!
    First win (October) - Apple Ipod off a radio competition
    November - new nokia mobile phone, £250 electrical voucher (both radio comptitions)
    March - 2 cinema tickets to see 27 dresses (radio again!)

Page 70
    • Jox
    • By Jox 15th Mar 17, 1:00 PM
    • 1,269 Posts
    • 2,688 Thanks
    Jox
    I know someone who is buying a £1.5 mil flat in central London and someone else who is looking for a flat £1.5 - £2.5 mil, so there are buyers out there

If a house hasn't sold in 2 months, 6 months etc then the buyer can decide if they would accept a lower price or keep it on the market until they find a buyer.

It is frustrating to not get what you want when you want but there are no guarantees so perhaps use the time to improve the property if you wish to make it more attractive to prospective buyers.
    • cashbackproblems
    • By cashbackproblems 15th Mar 17, 1:08 PM
    • 1,564 Posts
    • 589 Thanks
    cashbackproblems
    people asking for 50k above true value and then painting the walls hoping someone is tempted does not fool anyone. As a recent buyer (and majority of rational thinking buyers) the decorative condition is not of concern and an easy/cheap fix.
    • tootiemac
    • By tootiemac 15th Mar 17, 1:12 PM
    • 149 Posts
    • 42 Thanks
    tootiemac
    Can I Join?
    Hi All,
    We've been on the market a week today and i know its early but We've had 0 viewings and its making me sad!
    We're in Scotland and the lower end of the pricing.
    Keeping the house tidy for nothing is driving me nuts!
    • Jox
    • By Jox 15th Mar 17, 1:46 PM
    • 1,269 Posts
    • 2,688 Thanks
    Jox
    Hi Tootiemac, good luck - hope you get some interest soon

Is your property on Zoopla, maybe you can see how many views you've had online - just to see if you're getting some interest there and maybe see how you compare to other similar properties in your area.

This is a useful tool to see how many properties have sold in an area over the last 3 / 6 / 12 months etc:

http://www.zoopla.co.uk/market/uk/
    • tootiemac
    • By tootiemac 15th Mar 17, 1:52 PM
    • 149 Posts
    • 42 Thanks
    tootiemac
    Yes we're on zoopla.
    we've had 275 view (205 of which were when i shared the link on my facebook)
    So that averages 10 clicks per day which isnt bad but no one is biting.
    • Jox
    • By Jox 15th Mar 17, 1:59 PM
    • 1,269 Posts
    • 2,688 Thanks
    Jox
    Maybe all the clicks from facebook was your friends having a look at your property So 70 views from zoopla plus whatever views from rightmove isn't bad. Is the market slow in your area?
    • chrissie83
    • By chrissie83 15th Mar 17, 2:23 PM
    • 30 Posts
    • 49 Thanks
    chrissie83
    Do any of you know how to post pictures? The rightmove link would be easier but don't want it to come up in searches 😕
    • Crashy Time
    • By Crashy Time 15th Mar 17, 2:27 PM
    • 3,684 Posts
    • 1,866 Thanks
    Crashy Time
    people asking for 50k above true value and then painting the walls hoping someone is tempted does not fool anyone. As a recent buyer (and majority of rational thinking buyers) the decorative condition is not of concern and an easy/cheap fix.
    Originally posted by cashbackproblems

Might have worked when credit was plentiful and property was a one way bet, but in this climate, no it won`t work.
    • Jox
    • By Jox 15th Mar 17, 2:29 PM
    • 1,269 Posts
    • 2,688 Thanks
    Jox
    I think you have to put them on photobucket and then post them but I'm not an expert
    • smallholdingsister
    • By smallholdingsister 15th Mar 17, 3:03 PM
    • 2,954 Posts
    • 22,020 Thanks
    smallholdingsister
    if in two months no one else had made an offer it probably wasn't worth that, but maybe the buyers really liked the place and bid was due to an emotional attachment.
    Originally posted by cashbackproblems
    Probably. There is also a supply issue if you want a particular kind of house.
    • smallholdingsister
    • By smallholdingsister 15th Mar 17, 3:07 PM
    • 2,954 Posts
    • 22,020 Thanks
    smallholdingsister
    Chrissie only post a link if you have strong nerves.
    Most will be helpful, but a couple will be really rude and one or two will say things that are of no help, like "I wouldn't put that wall there".

You can upload to photobucket then copy and paste IMG links.
    • hazyjo
    • By hazyjo 15th Mar 17, 3:16 PM
    • 8,770 Posts
    • 10,868 Thanks
    hazyjo
    Chrissie only post a link if you have strong nerves.
    Most will be helpful, but a couple will be really rude and one or two will say things that are of no help, like "I wouldn't put that wall there".

You can upload to photobucket then copy and paste IMG links.
    Originally posted by smallholdingsister

Actually, someone was asking the other day and I did say how there should be a wall there lol. There was a massive long narrow room the width of the house - it should definitely have been two as there was a separate dining room and all the furniture was around the walls like it was a village hall rather than a lounge. I gave advice on moving the sofa to create a divide/wall.

But I do agree you need strong nerves. I'm not putting mine up LOL. I know its weaknesses (paved garden and dark purple lounge mainly! ).

What you have to bear in mind is that no two people have the same taste. I will say if something is dated, but if it's not my cuppa I might say it that way rather than 'OMG that wallpaper is hideous!' Ways and means - and I always apologise in advance and say I'm not trying to be harsh and really try not to be, but sometimes 'factual' doesn't come across as sugarcoated...

If people aren't too sensitive about it, there really is LOADS to be learned. I keep trying to look at mine objectively but it's just so hard!

Jx
    2017 wins: Opera tickets; cinema tickets; lipstick; tickets, afternoon tea & bottle of Champagne at Ideal Home Show
    • hazyjo
    • By hazyjo 15th Mar 17, 3:17 PM
    • 8,770 Posts
    • 10,868 Thanks
    hazyjo
    You could always create a short link and not include the www bit and tell us if it's a .com at the end (add spaces inbetween). I don't think the link would be searchable - but I'm not techie.
    2017 wins: Opera tickets; cinema tickets; lipstick; tickets, afternoon tea & bottle of Champagne at Ideal Home Show
    • ognum
    • By ognum 15th Mar 17, 3:52 PM
    • 4,417 Posts
    • 6,567 Thanks
    ognum
    Just a quick post about setting a price. We have just put a flat on the market, it was a rental we owned but is too far from home so we decided to sell. It's empty.

We had the flat fully decorated and sorted prior to putting it on the market. It is therefore move in ready for a first time buyer or immediately letable for a LL.

We choose an EA carefully, small company, single office, small staff all know all properties, doesn't do letting.

It's strategy is routinely to post new properties to RM on a Monday, open house on the flowing Saturday. No viewings prior to open house, no viewings booked for after open house until a week past with the understanding that house may be sold before viewing if you don't attend OH.

We deliberately priced slightly below probable value, 12 viewers booked for OH. 14 viewers attended.

Monday am 6 offers, 5 above asking, best and final, price to cash buyer (funds checked) well above asking and above price we believed could be achieved.

Now wait and see if it completes!
    • chrissie83
    • By chrissie83 15th Mar 17, 3:53 PM
    • 30 Posts
    • 49 Thanks
    chrissie83
    property-for-sale/property-58225069
    .html at the end but not sure it will work ��
    Thanks for your help. I think I know what's wrong with the pictures, we weren't expecting them to be taken that day. Hubby doesn't agree with me though so just wanted a few opinions
    • smallholdingsister
    • By smallholdingsister 15th Mar 17, 4:12 PM
    • 2,954 Posts
    • 22,020 Thanks
    smallholdingsister
    First thoughts...You still have a little decluttering to do. The photo of the kitchen makes it look very narrow (I get that its a galley kitchen). The front door is lovely. The pastel and black are a bit incongruous - I might go cream throws on the sofas just for viewings. The pink in the first room is VERY pink (I can't talk, we have a bedroom that colour.)

eta pic 10. Why?!
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 15th Mar 17, 4:13 PM
    • 4,146 Posts
    • 16,704 Thanks
    Slinky
    What is a mid-garden terrace? Never heard that term before.

The pink is a bit OTT and the first room image seems to show a room with no clear focus on its purpose.
    • hazyjo
    • By hazyjo 15th Mar 17, 4:18 PM
    • 8,770 Posts
    • 10,868 Thanks
    hazyjo
    This it?
    Originally posted by smallholdingsister
    I don't think the OP wanted to give a link that could be found by searching...
    • ProDave
    • By ProDave 15th Mar 17, 4:18 PM
    • 88 Posts
    • 159 Thanks
    ProDave
    Hi All,
    We've been on the market a week today and i know its early but We've had 0 viewings and its making me sad!
    We're in Scotland and the lower end of the pricing.
    Keeping the house tidy for nothing is driving me nuts!
    Originally posted by tootiemac
    Sit tight. Properties at the lower end of the market up here have been selling reasonably well. My "issue" with my own house is it as the other end of the spectrum, the sort of house that those selling up in the South would have been queuing up to buy a few years ago, but there are very few of those buyers looking here at the moment, and not many locals can afford a house like ours.
    • chrissie83
    • By chrissie83 15th Mar 17, 4:36 PM
    • 30 Posts
    • 49 Thanks
    chrissie83
    Yes thas it. I didn't want to post the link as I don't want it to come up in searches. Could you remove it please?

Thank you to everyone who has commented on it. All points I've said to hubby that he doesn't agree with. The front room is very pink. I have little girls, it's their play room, it needs re painting & making into a dinning room again.
    Pic 10 is that the park? The ea wanted to include it & said it would be a selling point as the yard is small but that is outside the back gate

& I have no idea what a mid garden terrace is I will ask them that
    Last edited by chrissie83; 15-03-2017 at 4:44 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

500Posts Today

4,703Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • As I've said before - energy price cap sounds good, and will likely be popular, but there's a big risk of making th? https://t.co/ubeV9vnmU7

• Just seen @IvoGraham doing stand up in a comedy club. Superb, witty, self depricating, clever stuff. Go see him if you get the chance

• RT @ChrissyNunn: New one from @Tesco today.. "The sale of Goods Act is just legislation, it's like a guideline, it's not law" @MartinSLewis?

• Follow Martin