Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • fudge7000
    • By fudge7000 1st May 16, 7:23 PM
    • 178Posts
    • 523Thanks
    fudge7000
    Waiting for a buyer... Anyone want to join me?
    • 1st May 16, 7:23 PM
    Waiting for a buyer... Anyone want to join me? 1st May 16 at 7:23 PM
    Anyone else out there selling and going through trying to keep the house tidy 24/7 so it doesn't take hours to sort out when there's a viewing?!
    Along with trying to second guess what the people viewing will do/offer/not offer...?

Only been for sale a week, I assume it just gets worse from here on in?

Not really done this before so thought I'd see if anyone else is in the same boat!
    First win (October) - Apple Ipod off a radio competition
    November - new nokia mobile phone, 250 electrical voucher (both radio comptitions)
    March - 2 cinema tickets to see 27 dresses (radio again!)

Page 69
    • Cinders:
    • By Cinders: 14th Mar 17, 11:54 AM
    • 147 Posts
    • 762 Thanks
    Cinders:
    Hazyjo, any more potential buyers booked up for your open day yet? I know what you mean about expecting a queue of people lining up for the house - I expected that for my mum's house as it's absolutely stunning!
    SPC # 115
    • hazyjo
    • By hazyjo 14th Mar 17, 12:02 PM
    • 8,971 Posts
    • 11,183 Thanks
    hazyjo
    Hazyjo, any more potential buyers booked up for your open day yet? I know what you mean about expecting a queue of people lining up for the house - I expected that for my mum's house as it's absolutely stunning!
    Originally posted by Cinders:
    Not yet. We are prob priced a tad high, but only so we can drop a few grand. You can't put the price back up(!) so I would rather price on the high side of realistic lol.

Not heard anything yet and am prob driving the EA mad already. Did suggest he put something on the corner of the listing in the window saying 'open day - 18 March' but he said they only have 'sold inserts' and said 'But it is on Rightmove, Zoopla and our own website in capital letters advertising the open day.'

Hmm. I think they should add new inserts for open days but hey ho.

I swear I could do a far better job than most of the local agents. Bloody useless most of 'em.

I feel like I'm hosting a party and am scared nobody will turn up LOL.

Plus the EA has suggested we go out - so we won't even get to nose at the viewers!

Jx
    2017 wins: Opera tickets; film preview; lipstick; Ideal Home Show tickets + afternoon tea & bottle of Champagne; 2 cases of NKD; notebook; bath rack; book; film Premiere; Broadchurch DVDs
    • Cinders:
    • By Cinders: 14th Mar 17, 12:51 PM
    • 147 Posts
    • 762 Thanks
    Cinders:

Plus the EA has suggested we go out - so we won't even get to nose at the viewers!
    Jx
    Originally posted by hazyjo
    That's a shame to not get to nose at the viewers. I love 'people watching', and seeing all the different characters that come to view our house.

Had a phone call a little while ago saying that the viewing on my mum's house yesterday went really well, but that the person is going on holiday for a week from today. He wants the EA to keep him informed of other viewings etc, ......no offer as of yet though
    SPC # 115
    • LoopyLoops
    • By LoopyLoops 14th Mar 17, 1:04 PM
    • 85 Posts
    • 135 Thanks
    LoopyLoops
    Have chased the agent today, after having to listening through all his sales talk I asked how many hits we are getting on Rightmove and if a good number why they aren't coming to view. He tried to tell me (again) that open plan isn't for everyone. Yes, I agree, but 2 others in the same street have come on and sold since we have been on the market. They where slightly cheaper as no off road parking, but not by a lot. We know ours needs work doing, but so did the others that have sold. EA reckons that the lower end is selling and the half million are selling, but not so much in our price range. Anyway will wait to see what our figures are on Rightmove. So frustrating. Sorry think I just needed a bit of a rant.....
    • LoopyLoops
    • By LoopyLoops 14th Mar 17, 1:11 PM
    • 85 Posts
    • 135 Thanks
    LoopyLoops

Not heard anything yet and am prob driving the EA mad already. Did suggest he put something on the corner of the listing in the window saying 'open day - 18 March' but he said they only have 'sold inserts' and said 'But it is on Rightmove, Zoopla and our own website in capital letters advertising the open day.'

Jx
    Hope you get lots of viewings for the open day, at least one that puts in an offer. I remember waiting for ours, it was awful. Our agents do the open house and ask the owner to go out and leave them to it.

Cinders fingers crossed the one the really likes it decides to offer soon if they are that interested.
    • daisyboyd24
    • By daisyboyd24 14th Mar 17, 2:28 PM
    • 69 Posts
    • 191 Thanks
    daisyboyd24
    I hope you don't mind me joining this thread. I am currently waiting for a buyer for my house and my mother-in-laws.

Our house has been up for sale since beginning of December. We’ve had 25 viewings and one offer which we eventually accepted only for them to pull out a few days later as they couldn’t actually afford the property - how annoying!

We dropped our price last week but can’t go any lower. Have one viewing booked in for this weekend but nothing else at the moment.
    Hopefully the Spring weather will bring more people out!

Mother-in-Laws house has only had one view, but they made and offer which was accepted and then they pulled out as were told they wouldn’t be able to get planning permission for what they wanted to do!
    • smallholdingsister
    • By smallholdingsister 14th Mar 17, 2:51 PM
    • 3,053 Posts
    • 22,590 Thanks
    smallholdingsister
    Welcome Daisyboyd.

Estate agent emailed with "someone wants to view but it is 20k over his budget".

Clearly he can't afford it then. I see no point negotiating with people BEFORE they have viewed.
    • Cinders:
    • By Cinders: 14th Mar 17, 3:00 PM
    • 147 Posts
    • 762 Thanks
    Cinders:
    Cinders fingers crossed the one the really likes it decides to offer soon if they are that interested.
    Originally posted by LoopyLoops
    Thank you, I hope they make an offer. The EA seemed really positive about them - not sure if it was genuine, or just what they thought I'd like to hear!
    SPC # 115
    • Cinders:
    • By Cinders: 14th Mar 17, 3:04 PM
    • 147 Posts
    • 762 Thanks
    Cinders:
    Welcome Daisyboyd.

Estate agent emailed with "someone wants to view but it is 20k over his budget".

Clearly he can't afford it then. I see no point negotiating with people BEFORE they have viewed.
    Originally posted by smallholdingsister
    We've had one potential buyer that did exactly the same thing, said our house was above their budget, but still wanted to look around!!
    SPC # 115
    • hazyjo
    • By hazyjo 14th Mar 17, 5:04 PM
    • 8,971 Posts
    • 11,183 Thanks
    hazyjo
    Kind of disagree. I would much rather someone say look this is my budget, is it worth me viewing? I did it once with a house which was 25k-ish over budget. We viewed and eventually had an offer accepted. Also bought my current house for 26k less than asking price. Now looking with a larger budget and have no qualms about looking at a house 25k over budget without telling them it's over budget. The one I've got my eye on has been on for a few months now and is 25k too much for me. Not looking for a bargain - will pay asking price if I think it's fair - but I do think that particular one is a good 15k over what it should be up for.

They can only say yes or no. Worth a try.

Also, they may be able to make the money back up the chain. I took a hit on one I sold as the vendor of the one I was buying from came down a fair chunk. I said if they accepted, I would accept the offer from my buyer. All worked out fine. If your LTV isn't great, it's harder.

Good luck all!

Jx
    2017 wins: Opera tickets; film preview; lipstick; Ideal Home Show tickets + afternoon tea & bottle of Champagne; 2 cases of NKD; notebook; bath rack; book; film Premiere; Broadchurch DVDs
    • Crashy Time
    • By Crashy Time 14th Mar 17, 5:26 PM
    • 4,007 Posts
    • 1,936 Thanks
    Crashy Time
    Prodave most people on here know to ignore iantojones and Crashytime as they type utter nonsense and are very bitter towards the house market increasing. Put them on your ignore list then you don't need to read their tripe.
    Originally posted by Mickygg

Yep, then you don`t need to read or respond, problem solved.
    • Crashy Time
    • By Crashy Time 14th Mar 17, 5:28 PM
    • 4,007 Posts
    • 1,936 Thanks
    Crashy Time
    Kind of disagree. I would much rather someone say look this is my budget, is it worth me viewing? I did it once with a house which was 25k-ish over budget. We viewed and eventually had an offer accepted. Also bought my current house for 26k less than asking price. Now looking with a larger budget and have no qualms about looking at a house 25k over budget without telling them it's over budget. The one I've got my eye on has been on for a few months now and is 25k too much for me. Not looking for a bargain - will pay asking price if I think it's fair - but I do think that particular one is a good 15k over what it should be up for.

They can only say yes or no. Worth a try.

Also, they may be able to make the money back up the chain. I took a hit on one I sold as the vendor of the one I was buying from came down a fair chunk. I said if they accepted, I would accept the offer from my buyer. All worked out fine. If your LTV isn't great, it's harder.

Good luck all!

Jx

Yes, many people will find themselves dropping the price eventually, as already mentioned it is surely much less stressful to just face reality early on in the selling process?
    • cashbackproblems
    • By cashbackproblems 14th Mar 17, 11:24 PM
    • 1,627 Posts
    • 622 Thanks
    cashbackproblems
    Iv just had an offer accepted at 20k below asking and it was priced ok at the start, but seller is desperate for a quick sale and the market is currently flat even in london commuter towns.

Most of your interest should come in the first week as thats when it is at the top of searches and hit alerts. If you havent thrn its probably prived too highly
    • hazyjo
    • By hazyjo 14th Mar 17, 11:24 PM
    • 8,971 Posts
    • 11,183 Thanks
    hazyjo
    Yes, many people will find themselves dropping the price eventually, as already mentioned it is surely much less stressful to just face reality early on in the selling process?
    Originally posted by Crashy Time
    But some won't and they'll get what they're looking for. I don't blame them. There's no science to valuing a property, and even then you still need to find that exact person who's looking for your exact property. There's overpricing, and then there's 'optimistic'.

If my house had been on the market for 3 months and someone offered me 25k under, I would take it. If I couldn't buy what I wanted for that, I'd refuse and take my house off the market. So yes, there is always an element of having to be realistic.

Buyers nearly always want to make an offer, and always love to think they've got a bargain. Nothing wrong with leaving some wiggle room. [wriggle? Even google ain't sure lol]

Jx
    • PeterPanic
    • By PeterPanic 15th Mar 17, 1:32 AM
    • 36 Posts
    • 83 Thanks
    PeterPanic
    Iv just had an offer accepted at 20k below asking and it was priced ok at the start, but seller is desperate for a quick sale and the market is currently flat even in london commuter towns.

Most of your interest should come in the first week as thats when it is at the top of searches and hit alerts. If you havent thrn its probably prived too highly
    Originally posted by cashbackproblems
    I am due to complete on a property on Friday and I had an offer of 15k under asking accepted as they too were desperate to sell. This is actually 22k less than an identical house in the next street sold for 6 months ago.

I knew they had found the house they wanted and were unable to proceed and I was lucky that they still had enough wriggle room to be able to afford it. Your offer is only ever going to be accepted if it still leaves them enough money to buy the house they want.
    • smallholdingsister
    • By smallholdingsister 15th Mar 17, 8:49 AM
    • 3,053 Posts
    • 22,590 Thanks
    smallholdingsister
    My parents had someone ask for a viewing but "their top price was 420k". Parents response was "You can't afford it then". The people came back two months later to ask again, parents said they would not be moving below 450. Viewers came and agreed 450.

People (understandably) lie about their max budget.
    • cashbackproblems
    • By cashbackproblems 15th Mar 17, 9:31 AM
    • 1,627 Posts
    • 622 Thanks
    cashbackproblems
    My parents had someone ask for a viewing but "their top price was 420k". Parents response was "You can't afford it then". The people came back two months later to ask again, parents said they would not be moving below 450. Viewers came and agreed 450.

People (understandably) lie about their max budget.
    Originally posted by smallholdingsister

if in two months no one else had made an offer it probably wasn't worth that, but maybe the buyers really liked the place and bid was due to an emotional attachment.
    • chrissie83
    • By chrissie83 15th Mar 17, 9:33 AM
    • 38 Posts
    • 59 Thanks
    chrissie83
    Is there a thread on here to post our rightmove link? Or can I post it in here? Does show up in search results? Just wanted opinions on the pictures etc I'm feeling frustrated with it all today :/
    • Jox
    • By Jox 15th Mar 17, 12:13 PM
    • 1,269 Posts
    • 2,688 Thanks
    Jox
    Hi Chrissie, post your link if you like or just the pics if you prefer
    • Crashy Time
    • By Crashy Time 15th Mar 17, 12:42 PM
    • 4,007 Posts
    • 1,936 Thanks
    Crashy Time
    http://www.propertyindustryeye.com/39767-2/
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,396Posts Today

8,965Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • The strange thing with a 4yr old is having to play & smile while inside feeling sick for those in trauma in my birth town #Manchester

• Just a quick ta-ta for now. I'm taking the week off for family time with mini and Mrs MSE. So I won't be here much. Back after the bank hol

• Ugh another one trying it! Beware https://t.co/Ab9fCRA76F

• Follow Martin