Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • fudge7000
    • By fudge7000 1st May 16, 7:23 PM
    • 179Posts
    • 523Thanks
    fudge7000
    Waiting for a buyer... Anyone want to join me?
    • 1st May 16, 7:23 PM
    Waiting for a buyer... Anyone want to join me? 1st May 16 at 7:23 PM
    Anyone else out there selling and going through trying to keep the house tidy 24/7 so it doesn't take hours to sort out when there's a viewing?!
    Along with trying to second guess what the people viewing will do/offer/not offer...?

Only been for sale a week, I assume it just gets worse from here on in?

Not really done this before so thought I'd see if anyone else is in the same boat!
    First win (October) - Apple Ipod off a radio competition
    November - new nokia mobile phone, £250 electrical voucher (both radio comptitions)
    March - 2 cinema tickets to see 27 dresses (radio again!)

Page 68
    • juniordoc
    • By juniordoc 10th Mar 17, 12:56 PM
    • 125 Posts
    • 81 Thanks
    juniordoc
    Renting the house out a lot less stressful?? You must be joking!
    I'd expect things to go quiet for some time on the viewings front as brexit triggering is now just around the corner.
    • sheff6107
    • By sheff6107 10th Mar 17, 2:01 PM
    • 416 Posts
    • 278 Thanks
    sheff6107
    Why would viewings dry up? It's not like everybody has to buy a house this month and then sit on their hands for two years.
    • Jox
    • By Jox 10th Mar 17, 2:32 PM
    • 1,251 Posts
    • 2,702 Thanks
    Jox
    I think now would be a better time to buy before the mortgage interest rates potentially rise after Brexit.

HSBC is doing mortgage stress tests at 11% and Santander's is around 6% even though rates are so much lower at the moment.
    • LoopyLoops
    • By LoopyLoops 10th Mar 17, 3:13 PM
    • 94 Posts
    • 153 Thanks
    LoopyLoops
    Hope everyone with viewings at the weekend go well!

We have not had anything since being back on the market, but to be fair it was only Wednesday. Frustrating that we can't go back to the top of Rightmove, unless we drop the price again, which we might do anyway. You can only go back to the top with no changes to the listing if you where under offer for 14 weeks apparently. I asked the EA. He said it was to stop EA's keep moving houses back to the top willy nilly, which does make sense and seems fair, but is frustrating for us.

Hubby and I will talk about price over the weekend. Our house is a bit out of the norm for the town as it is open plan in a town that that is not typical, so not to everyone's taste.

Anyway good luck to everyone that does have viewings! Hope you sell your houses!
    • Cinders:
    • By Cinders: 10th Mar 17, 7:56 PM
    • 132 Posts
    • 784 Thanks
    Cinders:
    I agree Jox, I can't see that it is currently a bad time to buy - no more volatile than any other market!

LoopyLoops, I have my fingers firmly crossed that you get loads of great viewings

Happy selling vibes to everyone x
    SPC # 115
    • millie84
    • By millie84 11th Mar 17, 7:11 AM
    • 81 Posts
    • 28 Thanks
    millie84
    I finally got a buyer 2 weeks ago, it took 6 months and lots of low offers, but I got 2 offers in one day for the asking price! Even got a mini bidding war going which pushed it up another £2k. It doesn't sound like a lot, but it has made the difference between a deficit and breaking even, which is brilliant. I'm really chuffed, it still doesn't seem real, and won't until I hand in the keys.
    • smallholdingsister
    • By smallholdingsister 11th Mar 17, 7:12 AM
    • 3,159 Posts
    • 24,563 Thanks
    smallholdingsister
    Our estate agent says things are picking up here so hoping everyone makes some progress soon.
    • smallholdingsister
    • By smallholdingsister 11th Mar 17, 1:29 PM
    • 3,159 Posts
    • 24,563 Thanks
    smallholdingsister
    Good news Millie!
    • ProDave
    • By ProDave 11th Mar 17, 2:17 PM
    • 196 Posts
    • 257 Thanks
    ProDave
    I'm late to this thread. 2 years and 4 months, only 10 viewings, no buyer, no offers. Second agent after year one made very little difference. house, like most up here, on offer below home report valuation. Things are VERY different up here in the Highlands.

I am about to put plan B into action, take the house off the market and rent it, and become a "reluctant landlord" (yes really am reluctant to do that but have to do something) I have someone who wants to rent it.

Will try again in a couple of years to sell again. Been a thoroughly demoralising experience.
    Last edited by ProDave; 11-03-2017 at 2:19 PM.
    • smallholdingsister
    • By smallholdingsister 11th Mar 17, 2:30 PM
    • 3,159 Posts
    • 24,563 Thanks
    smallholdingsister
    Feeling your pain here, Dave.
    • Cinders:
    • By Cinders: 11th Mar 17, 6:18 PM
    • 132 Posts
    • 784 Thanks
    Cinders:
    That's fantastic news Millie

Dave - wow, that's such a long time waiting to sell your house. At least you have someone wanting to rent the property.
    SPC # 115
    • happytails
    • By happytails 12th Mar 17, 9:59 AM
    • 1,500 Posts
    • 9,207 Thanks
    happytails
    I did another full house clean yesterday but no viewings yet.

Today is looking dry so I'm going to see if I can do a bit more weeding etc at the front. Hoping for some interest this week.
    Sarah,

Trying to move up the house ladder in 2017, running a business with 3 kids in tow & slowly going crazy!
    Member No43 - % Challenge
    • chrissie83
    • By chrissie83 12th Mar 17, 12:32 PM
    • 40 Posts
    • 60 Thanks
    chrissie83
    Hi, can I join you in here please?

We put our house up for sale 3 weeks ago this coming Tuesday. It's a 2 bed ( with loft space which is a bedroom too) mid terrace in Manchester priced at £99,995.

We had 3 viewers last week. First was a really nice lad who brought his nan & grandad with him, he loved it but after going to the mortgage advisor he could only get a £90k mortgage
    2nd was a BTL he said was too big & too expensive & he wanted a more 'standard' terrace
    3rd viewer loved it, asked if he could bring his mum one evening around 8pm & he would contact the EA on Thursday night but they've heard nothing off him.

We have nothing booked in for next week but going to do a big clean today ( again!!) & hope we get some viewings this week
    • Wewanttosell
    • By Wewanttosell 12th Mar 17, 11:42 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    Wewanttosell
    Hi folks, joining the group as a non-seller We had sold,twice, but chain collapsed, incredibly frustrating! Been selling since last May (when this thread started I see) and am now thinking we will never sell, it's ridiculous really. We are getting regular viewings, people like the house and say things like 'wanted a dining room' or 'gardens too big' but no more offers. I took advice and decided to drop the price, since the start we have dropped £15k and hope that entices people to offer. But even then I would be sleeping on tenderhooks given what happened before with the chain collapsing. The next step will be to take it off the market altogether and think of a different plan. I feel we have been living in a bubble since last year. It's a horrible process and one I never ever want to repeat. Good luck everyone, I feel your pain!!
    • iantojones40
    • By iantojones40 13th Mar 17, 5:47 AM
    • 287 Posts
    • 377 Thanks
    iantojones40
    So much stress, anxiety and misery from people failing miserably to achieve a successful sale on this thread... and all of it self inflicted because they're too greedy, stubborn and deluded to accept that their houses aren't worth as much as they'd like to think they're worth.

2.4 years on the market! Hilarious.
    • ProDave
    • By ProDave 13th Mar 17, 8:11 AM
    • 196 Posts
    • 257 Thanks
    ProDave
    So much stress, anxiety and misery from people failing miserably to achieve a successful sale on this thread... and all of it self inflicted because they're too greedy, stubborn and deluded to accept that their houses aren't worth as much as they'd like to think they're worth.

2.4 years on the market! Hilarious.
    Originally posted by iantojones40
    I don't have much time to type the full reply this deserves so here is the quick version

House is not over priced. We still have home reports so a professional surveyor did the valuation. My 5 bedroom house with double garage is on the market now for the same money that a 4 bedroom one with no garage 100 metres away sold for 3 years ago (that took over 3 years to sell by the way)

I can't simply drop the price because I am in an unusual situation. I am part way through building a new smaller house. If I drop the price much I could be in the silly situation that I sell the 5 bedrom house for less than the cost of building the new 3 bedroom one. Cost of building materials and labour is not going to go down in response to being "too expensive" Prices here are already low due to lack of demand in certain sectors of the market to the point if you bought some land and build a house you really would be doing very well to sell it just to cover your costs.
    • Cinders:
    • By Cinders: 13th Mar 17, 11:43 AM
    • 132 Posts
    • 784 Thanks
    Cinders:
    Morning all, hope you've all had a fantastic weekend.

Chrissie - Good luck with getting some viewings this week, and hopefully that viewer from last week comes back for a second look.

ProDave - I wouldn't bother trying to justify your situation to the sad and lonely troll that commented on your house sale, his opinion counts for less than nothing. He sounds bitter and twisted, and probably best left to moan away to himself!

I had a phone call from the EA this morning to say that there's a viewing on her property this afternoon. I'm hoping it stays sunny as the views are beautiful from my mum's house, and will be a great selling point.
    SPC # 115
    • Crashy Time
    • By Crashy Time 13th Mar 17, 12:00 PM
    • 4,513 Posts
    • 2,046 Thanks
    Crashy Time
    I don't have much time to type the full reply this deserves so here is the quick version

House is not over priced. We still have home reports so a professional surveyor did the valuation. My 5 bedroom house with double garage is on the market now for the same money that a 4 bedroom one with no garage 100 metres away sold for 3 years ago (that took over 3 years to sell by the way)

I can't simply drop the price because I am in an unusual situation. I am part way through building a new smaller house. If I drop the price much I could be in the silly situation that I sell the 5 bedrom house for less than the cost of building the new 3 bedroom one. Cost of building materials and labour is not going to go down in response to being "too expensive" Prices here are already low due to lack of demand in certain sectors of the market to the point if you bought some land and build a house you really would be doing very well to sell it just to cover your costs.
    Originally posted by ProDave

Your individual situation doesn`t affect the overall market much though, the price is decided by what people are willing to pay (or what the bank will let them borrow to pay) Surely no sale would be worse than a price drop?
    • hazyjo
    • By hazyjo 13th Mar 17, 12:05 PM
    • 9,316 Posts
    • 11,756 Thanks
    hazyjo
    I'm in your club now too. House went on the market a week ago with an open day this coming Saturday.

Only a couple of people booked in so far - was hoping for a queue LOL.

Fingers crossed.

Good luck everyone else!

Jx
    2017 wins: Opera tickets; film preview; lipstick; Ideal Home Show tickets + afternoon tea & bottle of Champagne; 2 cases of NKD; notebook; bath rack; books; film Premiere; Broadchurch DVDs; lipbalms; hamper (food/wine/Echo Dot/Jo Malone goodies); Avon lippies
    • Mickygg
    • By Mickygg 13th Mar 17, 12:24 PM
    • 1,291 Posts
    • 1,007 Thanks
    Mickygg
    Prodave most people on here know to ignore iantojones and Crashytime as they type utter nonsense and are very bitter towards the house market increasing. Put them on your ignore list then you don't need to read their tripe.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

446Posts Today

4,818Users online

Martin's Twitter