Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • fudge7000
    • By fudge7000 1st May 16, 7:23 PM
    • 179Posts
    • 523Thanks
    fudge7000
    Waiting for a buyer... Anyone want to join me?
    • #1
    • 1st May 16, 7:23 PM
    Waiting for a buyer... Anyone want to join me? 1st May 16 at 7:23 PM
    Anyone else out there selling and going through trying to keep the house tidy 24/7 so it doesn't take hours to sort out when there's a viewing?!
    Along with trying to second guess what the people viewing will do/offer/not offer...?

    Only been for sale a week, I assume it just gets worse from here on in?

    Not really done this before so thought I'd see if anyone else is in the same boat!
    First win (October) - Apple Ipod off a radio competition
    November - new nokia mobile phone, £250 electrical voucher (both radio comptitions)
    March - 2 cinema tickets to see 27 dresses (radio again!)

Page 43
    • 9ja4life
    • By 9ja4life 8th Oct 16, 7:09 PM
    • 218 Posts
    • 413 Thanks
    9ja4life
    I'm back here! We're putting our house back on the market. It'll go live Monday. I know they say don't sell in the winter. I'm cautiously optimistic, after all you won't know till you try!
    • Mickygg
    • By Mickygg 8th Oct 16, 7:56 PM
    • 1,336 Posts
    • 1,051 Thanks
    Mickygg
    I'm back here! We're putting our house back on the market. It'll go live Monday. I know they say don't sell in the winter. I'm cautiously optimistic, after all you won't know till you try!
    Originally posted by 9ja4life
    We are in a strange market at the moment I wouldn't worry about selling in winter. December is effectively a write off but an EA near me said for the last two years November was the busiest month for offers accepted!

    I sold my first house from a viewing in between Xmas and New Years eve!
    • thegirlintheattic
    • By thegirlintheattic 8th Oct 16, 8:29 PM
    • 2,684 Posts
    • 3,509 Thanks
    thegirlintheattic
    After 12 months and only 9 viewings in that time, we ditched the online agent this week and put it on with a local one.

    "If we can't sell it, no one can!"

    Fingers crossed.
    Originally posted by sheff6107
    I would avoid online agents like the plague. We (tried) to view two houses with online agents. First didn't have the keys and after a few e-mails saying they were very keen to let us view it we've heard nothing. 2nd one waited 3 weeks to ask for feedback.
    Save £200 a month : Oct Nov Dec Jan Feb Mar Apr
    • Bonfire Bride
    • By Bonfire Bride 8th Oct 16, 9:05 PM
    • 565 Posts
    • 908 Thanks
    Bonfire Bride
    Hi guys...just checking in.

    Just a little info....please also check out your sellers if you are in a chain. We were told the house we were purchasing was chain free. 2 months in and them stalling at every turn, we found out infact they have decided to buy and cant find anything and don't think they will find anything until after Christmas.

    So...we have pulled out (haven't told them yet as they deserve a little of their own medicine) We have spent hundreds on searches, surveys to be told they aren't even proceedable.

    However, a house we offered on in August came back on the market last night and we nabbed it

    Two years ago today we put our house on the market...and we are close to exchange now (on our sale - moving in with mum to accommodate new purchase) I know NONE of you will be on the market that long...it will really happen.

    Good Luck
    Mummy to 2 little boys born in 2013 & 2015

    Save 12k in 2017 - #152
    £1,500/£8000

    • Christina F
    • By Christina F 8th Oct 16, 9:06 PM
    • 397 Posts
    • 625 Thanks
    Christina F
    Our viewing last night went well - they brought their kids with them and they all seemed quite excited about the house.
    Estate rang this morning and said that they were very interested in our house, they have a viewing booked for their house on Monday and if they get an offer they will put an offer on our house. The estate agent said that they had declared and expression of interest in our house - not sure what that means but fingers are crossed,
    Two more viewings booked for tomorrow - 11a.m and 2p.m - the first one have an offer on their house so are ready to move but the 2pm viewer has notgot her house on the market yet

    Fingers crossed we get an offer
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 9th Oct 16, 10:23 AM
    • 4,757 Posts
    • 20,756 Thanks
    Slinky
    Err....sometimes we don't, when it's mobiles.

    But it's astonishing how many tradesmen seem to be working in dead spots when they're needed urgently!
    Originally posted by Davesnave
    She was just being ignorant. Came round on the Sunday to measure up for new carpets, said she'd be taking her cheque into the solicitors the following day for the deposit so we could exchange on Friday, but didn't.

    Should have known she was flaky, she didn't have a survey done as she used to live next door.

    Anyway, it matters not now, we got a higher offer off another buyer and it was all sorted in the end.
    Last edited by Slinky; 09-10-2016 at 10:26 AM.
    • fudge7000
    • By fudge7000 9th Oct 16, 12:04 PM
    • 179 Posts
    • 523 Thanks
    fudge7000
    321 - fantastic, well done!

    Still no new viewings here, considering going with another agent as well, think the current ones have given up and are just waiting for the chain to right itself...
    First win (October) - Apple Ipod off a radio competition
    November - new nokia mobile phone, £250 electrical voucher (both radio comptitions)
    March - 2 cinema tickets to see 27 dresses (radio again!)

    • fudge7000
    • By fudge7000 11th Oct 16, 8:11 AM
    • 179 Posts
    • 523 Thanks
    fudge7000
    Gone for a price reduction today, we'll see if that generates any interest!

    I'm still wondering if the new right move thing of having to be a bungalow or a house is where we're struggling, as we were on as both before, but now you can only be one. The house is a bungalow but with a large dormer upstairs. EA state we can't have two listings so considering going with another EA to get the second listing... Decisions decisions!
    First win (October) - Apple Ipod off a radio competition
    November - new nokia mobile phone, £250 electrical voucher (both radio comptitions)
    March - 2 cinema tickets to see 27 dresses (radio again!)

    • 3 kids 2 jobs 1 dog
    • By 3 kids 2 jobs 1 dog 11th Oct 16, 10:51 AM
    • 525 Posts
    • 1,664 Thanks
    3 kids 2 jobs 1 dog
    Hi All

    Had a rollercoaster of a week here. Bit like Chickma we had an 'uncontactable' buyer who avoided EA calls all week and then last thing on Friday retracted her offer and made a significantly lower offer! Luckily we had more viewings lined up for the weekend (which we would have cancelled if she had responded to the EA) and one of those is a ftb who fell in love with the house and has made an offer, lower than we would have liked but we have accepted as they appear a better bet.

    BB - love a bit of Karma, sounds like things have worked out better for you in the end.

    Fudge, thank you for the congratulations and despite the original buyer messing us about all week we now have a much better buyer, albeit with a lower offer, but we are happy and now able to move onwards. Not sure what to suggest re your bungalow/house quandry, I think around here they tend to go as bungalows but thats cos we have an extremely large retired population. You probably need to consider your 'target market'.

    Good luck this week everyone

    321 xxx
    REPAYMENT PLAN
    NATWEST £5950 £1450
    HSCB CC £500
    LOAN £14000 £13553 - DFD September 2022
    Weightloss 13.9 24/10/17 13.0 24/11/17
    • elleJay42
    • By elleJay42 11th Oct 16, 11:21 AM
    • 80 Posts
    • 703 Thanks
    elleJay42
    Hello, we've now been on the market for a month and not one single viewing

    The agents say our flat is really nice and it's just the stagnant market in Aberdeen at the moment.

    To top it all off we just got hit with a £3500 bill for roof repairs... I never want to sell again, this is horrible!
    Total debt at LBM = £4861.03

    DFBXmas2017 #118 - £3686.97 / £4861 (75.85%)

    HTB ISA - £0 withdrawn for house purchase!
    Emergency Fund £324.59 / £1000
    • kirtsypoos
    • By kirtsypoos 11th Oct 16, 11:31 AM
    • 3,088 Posts
    • 13,766 Thanks
    kirtsypoos
    We've had 11 viewings but no offers - only been on the market almost 3 weeks but we are in this horrible Barratt movemaker scheme so had a call this morning to say someone is interested in making an offer on Saturday in person at the agents but Barratt have instructed agents to reduce price on Thursday as that will be 3 weeks on market. I'm really frustrated as we may get an offer on Saturday - surely they could wait until monday to reduce?!
    £175/3000 OH BC(94.16% PAID)
    PAID VERY, Barclaycard x2, Vanquis, Natwest, O/D, Tesco & MBNA x2 PAID LBM 24/07/15 - Debt: £175/31010.23 (99.43% paid)
    Mortgage - £161,000.00 (2017 O/P £3191.73) PAYDBX 17 #006 - £17,910.81/14,539.71
    • kilby_007
    • By kilby_007 11th Oct 16, 11:35 AM
    • 732 Posts
    • 491 Thanks
    kilby_007
    Funny market near me at the moment. It seems to me like there's dozens of buyers queuing up to buy those houses that are priced lower than others in the market but everything else priced at the recent "norm" is stagnant. I'm totally gutted as we've been looking for a year and everything was overpriced or not quite right. We saw a really well priced property at the weekend and offered asking price but they've accepted a cash offer. Beginning to wonder if we'll ever find a house now! :-(


    Good luck guys with your sales, and I know I'm a little biased as I'm a buyer, but prices need to come down and most buyers are waiting for that to happen... so if you're serious about selling and can afford to take the hit now, then in my opinion right now would be a good time to discount your property and get it sold, rather than waiting for everyone else to do it.
    • chickenmama
    • By chickenmama 11th Oct 16, 12:09 PM
    • 58 Posts
    • 90 Thanks
    chickenmama
    We have a viewer booked for Saturday. The cynic in me says they'll be a no show or cancel at the last minute so I am not getting my hopes up! (although will clean house to show home standard anyway, I like a clean house!)

    321, glad you got sorted! So frustrating these flaky buyers. Surely you either don't offer or be serious about it, shame there is no 'security' when an offer is made - which would stop the timewasters.

    Kirtsy - that seems really silly if they are going to follow their 3 week rule when you might get an offer - have you tried talking to them about it?
    • 3 kids 2 jobs 1 dog
    • By 3 kids 2 jobs 1 dog 11th Oct 16, 2:01 PM
    • 525 Posts
    • 1,664 Thanks
    3 kids 2 jobs 1 dog
    Chickenmama, couldn't agree more, I wouldnt dream of messing someone about like it, if you've made an offer stick to it, unless there are good grounds (such as a bad survey) to renegotiate. It's the way she avoided calls all week that really upset me, at least have the decency to let people know what is going on, don't leave them just dangling! Any way her loss! Of course, if we were in Scotland she would have be bound to her offer!!

    Good luck with the viewing, hope they show up and fall in love with your place!
    REPAYMENT PLAN
    NATWEST £5950 £1450
    HSCB CC £500
    LOAN £14000 £13553 - DFD September 2022
    Weightloss 13.9 24/10/17 13.0 24/11/17
    • smallholdingsister
    • By smallholdingsister 12th Oct 16, 12:15 PM
    • 3,557 Posts
    • 27,742 Thanks
    smallholdingsister
    Kirstypoos you put someone else in charge of your selling price?
    • GBR78
    • By GBR78 12th Oct 16, 12:32 PM
    • 38 Posts
    • 41 Thanks
    GBR78
    Still waiting for ours to actually go live....it seems to be taking forever (although in the grand scheme of things it really isn't).

    EA instructed on 01/10, photos taken 05/10, EPC couldn't be done until 08/10 (but EA advised the literature was done awaiting this data), EA Sales Manager and a second salesman visited 10/10 and bought literature proof with them. Modified and returned that evening, second proof received 11/10, had to be returned again......still waiting for the third (and hopefully final) copy today. They are planning to go live with that then are returning on Friday to re-take some photos and update as they're really not the best!

    I know it's not a long time to wait, but seems to be taking longer than when we sold the first house. We just want to see if there's any interest so we know if the new development is an option for us before they all sell!
    • PlaysNicely
    • By PlaysNicely 12th Oct 16, 12:42 PM
    • 77 Posts
    • 449 Thanks
    PlaysNicely


    Just checking in, hope everyone is OK and that the week is looking promising.

    Chickenmama ....

    Update for me:

    Buyer pulled out! Decided to ignore phone calls from the EA rather than actually admit it and it all came to a head today. So we're back on the market. Feeling surprisingly zen about the whole thing and going to try to not think about it too much until the new year - whatever happens, happens!
    Originally posted by chickenmama
    So sorry to hear this, what a pain and just so rude of them! I truly hope the next lot through the door play nicely, offer fully and proceed quickly for you so you can get the purchase back on track.

    Fingers crossed for everyone. PN x
    • 9ja4life
    • By 9ja4life 12th Oct 16, 1:07 PM
    • 218 Posts
    • 413 Thanks
    9ja4life
    That's so rude chicken mama. Hoping for a buyer soon for you!

    Ours went live yesterday and about 6 viewings booked for the weekend. I really hope it doesn't sit long on the market. Luckily for us, we don't have to clear, tidy etc as it's tenanted and the tenants are packing up to leave
    • chickenmama
    • By chickenmama 12th Oct 16, 1:29 PM
    • 58 Posts
    • 90 Thanks
    chickenmama
    GBR78 that seems like a long time to get everything sorted - I would be getting fed up at that timescale! We had the EA visit and take photos etc, we were live on Rightmove the next morning! What do the other houses on RM look like under the same agent - are the listings any good?

    Thank you PN (glad everything's ticking along for you - I am keeping an eye on the 'waiting to exchange' thread and hope everything goes smoothly) and 9ja4life - that's amazing you have so many viewings.. you might even get some more booked in over the next few days, it doesn't sound like you'll have to wait long
    • kirtsypoos
    • By kirtsypoos 12th Oct 16, 7:44 PM
    • 3,088 Posts
    • 13,766 Thanks
    kirtsypoos

    Kirtsy - that seems really silly if they are going to follow their 3 week rule when you might get an offer - have you tried talking to them about it?
    Originally posted by chickenmama
    I couldn't get through to them to discuss which was frustrating beyond belief! They finally called back and agreed to wait until Mondau so fingers crossed for an offer prior to that

    Kirstypoos you put someone else in charge of your selling price?
    Originally posted by smallholdingsister
    Yes, unfortunately the property we wanted was a new build - we managed to wangle a rather large discount (5%) but had to be able to reserve then - we paid reservation fee but Barratt won't aceept unless property is under offer or we used their movemaker scheme (the pay agents fees, but must sell within 6 weeks of being on market - 3 weeks at highest agents valuations and 3 weeks at lowest agents valuation)

    It's not the end of the World if price is reduced, concern is that the bottom estimate is only 2K more than we need to be able to proceed with new purchase and does anyone really offer asking price these days?!

    Keeping everything crossed for a proceedable offer on Saturday!
    £175/3000 OH BC(94.16% PAID)
    PAID VERY, Barclaycard x2, Vanquis, Natwest, O/D, Tesco & MBNA x2 PAID LBM 24/07/15 - Debt: £175/31010.23 (99.43% paid)
    Mortgage - £161,000.00 (2017 O/P £3191.73) PAYDBX 17 #006 - £17,910.81/14,539.71
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,555Posts Today

7,656Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @SF_England: @MartinSLewis Thanks Martin, just so everyone is aware- check your payslips between when you graduated and the following Ap?

  • Sorry to bubble burst. But each day a lot of people tweet me this. I think it doesn't show any other votes until t? https://t.co/uRny62NRc1

  • Today's Twitter poll: I want to find out are people generally happy. So how happy are you today? PS I did the same? https://t.co/3Gw9ylu2H2

  • Follow Martin