Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • fudge7000
    • By fudge7000 1st May 16, 7:23 PM
    • 179Posts
    • 523Thanks
    fudge7000
    Waiting for a buyer... Anyone want to join me?
    • 1st May 16, 7:23 PM
    Waiting for a buyer... Anyone want to join me? 1st May 16 at 7:23 PM
    Anyone else out there selling and going through trying to keep the house tidy 24/7 so it doesn't take hours to sort out when there's a viewing?!
    Along with trying to second guess what the people viewing will do/offer/not offer...?

Only been for sale a week, I assume it just gets worse from here on in?

Not really done this before so thought I'd see if anyone else is in the same boat!
    First win (October) - Apple Ipod off a radio competition
    November - new nokia mobile phone, £250 electrical voucher (both radio comptitions)
    March - 2 cinema tickets to see 27 dresses (radio again!)

Page 112
    • Tiglath
    • By Tiglath 14th Oct 17, 12:31 PM
    • 3,500 Posts
    • 11,372 Thanks
    Tiglath
    Accepted the offer so now we're in a 5-party chain, with a cash buyer at our bottom end and an empty property at the top end. Had to get an exception on the mortgage from the bank's underwriters as I took a sabbatical this year and haven't been in my job yet for 6 months, but the exception was agreed on Friday. Official mortgage application happening next week - looking to borrow more than the original plan so we can do some development work on the house and land, but still only about 36% LTV, so looking good. My bank manager says it all looks feasible in terms of LTV and my salary, so onwards we go. After the mortgage application is agreed, it's surveys and another visit to our new place - survey on our current house being done next week. Our buyer is a developer who buys up properties and rents them out so he's planning on gutting the place anyway. Very impressed that it only took a month or so to sell ours.
    "Those are synapses, electric impulses in the brain that carry all the messages. Somewhere in all that organic wiring, all those ripples of light, is you — the thing that makes you unique and human." ~ Dr. Jenner, The Walking Dead
    • spendinglikemad
    • By spendinglikemad 14th Oct 17, 2:56 PM
    • 211 Posts
    • 1,509 Thanks
    spendinglikemad
    had an offer on our property and then the following day the EA rang to say they couldn't get the mortgage due to the wife just going on maternity leave
    Oh hum........anyway got another viewer planned for next week and then see where we are!

SLM
    Family of 4 plus cat!
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 14th Oct 17, 6:33 PM
    • 4,757 Posts
    • 20,754 Thanks
    Slinky
    There's already a thread for sellers waiting for a buyer. I'd suggest there's no need for another one.
    Originally posted by saidmaoui1
    What are you on about? This thread runs to 112 pages.
    • zx81
    • By zx81 14th Oct 17, 6:42 PM
    • 14,363 Posts
    • 15,126 Thanks
    zx81
    Saidmaoui1 is post building - please hit the spam button.
    • Tiglath
    • By Tiglath 15th Oct 17, 9:47 PM
    • 3,500 Posts
    • 11,372 Thanks
    Tiglath
    had an offer on our property and then the following day the EA rang to say they couldn't get the mortgage due to the wife just going on maternity leave
    Oh hum........anyway got another viewer planned for next week and then see where we are!

SLM
    Originally posted by spendinglikemad
    Good luck! It's a stressful time.
    "Those are synapses, electric impulses in the brain that carry all the messages. Somewhere in all that organic wiring, all those ripples of light, is you — the thing that makes you unique and human." ~ Dr. Jenner, The Walking Dead
    • spendinglikemad
    • By spendinglikemad 16th Oct 17, 1:24 PM
    • 211 Posts
    • 1,509 Thanks
    spendinglikemad
    Good luck! It's a stressful time.
    Originally posted by Tiglath
    Absolutely - even when you get an offer there are no guarantees! Just been and steam cleaned the floors downstairs for the viewing today with the EA so fingers crossed they like it!

SLM
    Family of 4 plus cat!
    • spendinglikemad
    • By spendinglikemad 30th Oct 17, 12:42 PM
    • 211 Posts
    • 1,509 Thanks
    spendinglikemad
    phew finally agreed an offer so the waiting to exchange begins!

SLM
    Family of 4 plus cat!
    • Tiglath
    • By Tiglath 30th Oct 17, 1:18 PM
    • 3,500 Posts
    • 11,372 Thanks
    Tiglath
    phew finally agreed an offer so the waiting to exchange begins!

SLM
    Originally posted by spendinglikemad
    Well done! We're on the countdown to exchange as well - our solicitor has sent and received land registry stuff, fixtures and fittings lists etc. We're viewing our new property again next weekend, so I'll be taking careful note of where the plug sockets are, where furniture might fit, how we'll get water to the polytunnel, what's the story with various outbuildings, how the agricultural land is currently used. Exciting times!
    • spendinglikemad
    • By spendinglikemad 30th Oct 17, 2:18 PM
    • 211 Posts
    • 1,509 Thanks
    spendinglikemad
    We're viewing our new property again next weekend, so I'll be taking careful note of where the plug sockets are, where furniture might fit, how we'll get water to the polytunnel, what's the story with various outbuildings, how the agricultural land is currently used. Exciting times!
    Very exciting, for us its just about releasing capital (& additional stamp duty lol) so we can pay down the mortgage on our property as we bought in April and so paying 2 mortgages. It will mean we can do some more renovations!
    Good luck

SLM
    Family of 4 plus cat!
    • thelem
    • By thelem 8th Nov 17, 10:21 PM
    • 625 Posts
    • 433 Thanks
    thelem
    Our flat has been on the market for two weeks now. The estate agent did a great job calling their list and we had five viewings in the first five days, all before it was listed online. It's been online for a week now and we haven't had any viewings from that. That's disappointing, but I don't know how surprising it is or if we need to be worried yet. I don't like just waiting!
    Note: Unless otherwise stated, my property related posts refer to England & Wales. Please make sure you state if you are discussing Scotland or elsewhere as laws differ.
    • kelpie35
    • By kelpie35 8th Nov 17, 10:59 PM
    • 1,535 Posts
    • 4,907 Thanks
    kelpie35
    not a great time to sell with the run up to Christmas
    • thelem
    • By thelem 9th Nov 17, 9:07 AM
    • 625 Posts
    • 433 Thanks
    thelem
    I know it's not the best time of year to sell, but I've read very differing opinions on how much of an effect the time of year has.

Personally I don't understand it. Christmas is far enough away that it doesn't impact the viewing yet, but too close for there to be a good chance of completing before Christmas. Viewing now for a move in January sounds good timing in my book.

September is meant to be a popular time for people to look, but if you make an offer in September then you may well end up completing in the middle of December and end up eating Christmas dinner off a camping table because your nice new dining table hasn't been delivered yet. Not my idea of a fun move.
    Note: Unless otherwise stated, my property related posts refer to England & Wales. Please make sure you state if you are discussing Scotland or elsewhere as laws differ.
    • Tiglath
    • By Tiglath 10th Nov 17, 6:24 PM
    • 3,500 Posts
    • 11,372 Thanks
    Tiglath
    We visited the smallholding again and are even more in love with it and the acre of land. Our mortgage is agreed subject to a survey next week, then I think we all need to agree a date to exchange contracts. All seems to be moving in the right direction.
    • Tiglath
    • By Tiglath 23rd Nov 17, 7:26 PM
    • 3,500 Posts
    • 11,372 Thanks
    Tiglath
    I spoke too soon. The buyer of our property has gone AWOL and isn't responding to calls or emails, and his solicitor says they haven't been instructed on the purchase of our house. Our solicitor, his solicitor and the estate agent are trying to find out what's going on. There was another cash buyer who was interested in our property when it was on the market, but I don't know if he's still interested or would be able to offer anything approaching the first guy's offer, so it's all up in the air and unlikely to be resolved tomorrow. The estate agent is also going to call him to sound him out as he'd asked to be kept informed if anything changed. Nightmare!

How's everyone else doing?
    • spendinglikemad
    • By spendinglikemad 23rd Nov 17, 9:08 PM
    • 211 Posts
    • 1,509 Thanks
    spendinglikemad
    I spoke too soon. The buyer of our property has gone AWOL and isn't responding to calls or emails, and his solicitor says they haven't been instructed on the purchase of our house. Our solicitor, his solicitor and the estate agent are trying to find out what's going on. There was another cash buyer who was interested in our property when it was on the market, but I don't know if he's still interested or would be able to offer anything approaching the first guy's offer, so it's all up in the air and unlikely to be resolved tomorrow. The estate agent is also going to call him to sound him out as he'd asked to be kept informed if anything changed. Nightmare!

How's everyone else doing?
    Tiglath thats pants - is there a chance they are on holiday?

Our buyers had their survey last week and our solicitors have sent contracts so just waiting.........
    Family of 4 plus cat!
    • Tiglath
    • By Tiglath 24th Nov 17, 7:44 PM
    • 3,500 Posts
    • 11,372 Thanks
    Tiglath
    Possibly - he's not from the UK although he lives and works here now. Might be away visiting family, but I just have a bad feeling about it. No further updates today so I guess nobody was able to make contact with him.

Good luck with yours
    • Tiglath
    • By Tiglath 27th Nov 17, 6:47 PM
    • 3,500 Posts
    • 11,372 Thanks
    Tiglath
    Still no word from our absent buyer, but a second cash buyer has come forward to match the offer, so we're going with them. The estate agent has done business with the second guy before so knows he's legit. The estate agent suddenly concentrated when DH said we'd pull the house from the market completely and stressed that we must complete second week January. Situation salvaged thus far - phew! Won't fully relax till we exchange.
    • Tiglath
    • By Tiglath 28th Nov 17, 7:28 PM
    • 3,500 Posts
    • 11,372 Thanks
    Tiglath
    Some developments today. Our absent buyer got in touch to say he'd realised weeks ago he'd have to drop £40k off the offer which he knew wouldn't be acceptable to us (we'd already accepted his offer £45k below our initial asking price). Instead of letting anyone know, he left the country! Anyway he's out of the picture, and the second cash buyer is fully on board. He's bought and renovated several properties in our area, including the house opposite, and has a good relationship with our estate agent. In addition our mortgage offer is officially approved, so full steam ahead.
    Last edited by Tiglath; 29-11-2017 at 8:14 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,690Posts Today

7,031Users online

Martin's Twitter