Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • fudge7000
    • By fudge7000 1st May 16, 7:23 PM
    • 179Posts
    • 523Thanks
    fudge7000
    Waiting for a buyer... Anyone want to join me?
    • #1
    • 1st May 16, 7:23 PM
    Waiting for a buyer... Anyone want to join me? 1st May 16 at 7:23 PM
    Anyone else out there selling and going through trying to keep the house tidy 24/7 so it doesn't take hours to sort out when there's a viewing?!
    Along with trying to second guess what the people viewing will do/offer/not offer...?

    Only been for sale a week, I assume it just gets worse from here on in?

    Not really done this before so thought I'd see if anyone else is in the same boat!
    First win (October) - Apple Ipod off a radio competition
    November - new nokia mobile phone, £250 electrical voucher (both radio comptitions)
    March - 2 cinema tickets to see 27 dresses (radio again!)

Page 110
    • kates08
    • By kates08 12th Sep 17, 9:14 AM
    • 31 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    kates08
    The lady that had the 2nd viewing on Saturday and gave the impression to our EA that she was going to put an offer in has...booked a 3rd viewing!

    So frustrating. If you don't know after 2 viewings then I don't think a 3rd will help! Obviously we've said yes to her coming back, but there is a little niggle in my mind saying she might just be a timewaster.
    • kittie
    • By kittie 12th Sep 17, 11:08 AM
    • 11,048 Posts
    • 60,923 Thanks
    kittie
    wrong Kate, buying a house is a very big deal for most people. The fact that she has booked a thrird viewing is a good omen and she may well bring a friend with her. I don`t intend to buy on two viewings, I will do three and will mentally nit pick on the last one.
    • Crashy Time
    • By Crashy Time 12th Sep 17, 11:49 AM
    • 4,790 Posts
    • 2,104 Thanks
    Crashy Time
    The lady that had the 2nd viewing on Saturday and gave the impression to our EA that she was going to put an offer in has...booked a 3rd viewing!

    So frustrating. If you don't know after 2 viewings then I don't think a 3rd will help! Obviously we've said yes to her coming back, but there is a little niggle in my mind saying she might just be a timewaster.
    Originally posted by kates08

    So someone who may pay (or borrow) a sizeable chunk of change to buy your property from you is a "timewaster"? Did you expect the first person over the door just to buy it after a quick glance round?
    • kates08
    • By kates08 12th Sep 17, 12:24 PM
    • 31 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    kates08
    So someone who may pay (or borrow) a sizeable chunk of change to buy your property from you is a "timewaster"? Did you expect the first person over the door just to buy it after a quick glance round?
    Originally posted by Crashy Time
    No, I didn't mean it like that. They have rearranged both their viewings a couple of times and I just have a feeling that they don't have any genuine intention/ability to make an offer. I may be completely wrong. Your comment about the first person to walk through the door buying it after a quick glance round is ridiculous, obviously I've stated that I've been on for weeks and had lots of viewings.

    I'm surprised you're even taking part in this thread Crashy, considering your disdain for anyone who is interested in buying and selling properties, and you certainly aren't waiting for a buyer considering all your other posts.
    • kates08
    • By kates08 12th Sep 17, 12:35 PM
    • 31 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    kates08
    wrong Kate, buying a house is a very big deal for most people. The fact that she has booked a thrird viewing is a good omen and she may well bring a friend with her. I don`t intend to buy on two viewings, I will do three and will mentally nit pick on the last one.
    Originally posted by kittie
    Its a very big deal for me too, but I've never been to see a house three times! I must be the odd one out here, but I have always used the first viewing to get a feel for a property and then a second viewing to look in detail. I've never even considered asking for a third viewing of anywhere.

    My timewaster comment was more based on them rearranging viewings several time (which I didn't explain), and the fact that they told our EA that they were going to make an offer on both viewings but still haven't. It's just a feeling that I have telling me that they aren't going to make an offer.
    • kittie
    • By kittie 12th Sep 17, 12:46 PM
    • 11,048 Posts
    • 60,923 Thanks
    kittie
    kate, what ifs are a useless waste of time, as well as making needless stress for yourself and those around you. Try and relax, what will be will be
    • Crashy Time
    • By Crashy Time 12th Sep 17, 1:36 PM
    • 4,790 Posts
    • 2,104 Thanks
    Crashy Time
    No, I didn't mean it like that. They have rearranged both their viewings a couple of times and I just have a feeling that they don't have any genuine intention/ability to make an offer. I may be completely wrong. Your comment about the first person to walk through the door buying it after a quick glance round is ridiculous, obviously I've stated that I've been on for weeks and had lots of viewings.

    I'm surprised you're even taking part in this thread Crashy, considering your disdain for anyone who is interested in buying and selling properties, and you certainly aren't waiting for a buyer considering all your other posts.
    Originally posted by kates08

    Just be unavailable the next time they want to view then?
    • Natbag
    • By Natbag 12th Sep 17, 3:58 PM
    • 1,000 Posts
    • 647 Thanks
    Natbag
    Back on the market 11 days after our buyer pulled out, and the seller of the house that had accepted our offer have said our 2-week grace period is nearly up so they are going to put the house back on the market.
    Our agent (who is the agent for both properties) has recommended reducing the price of ours by £5k but stating 'offers over' to generate some more interest from automated alerts and drive some viewings, then we can negotiate any offers up towards the asking price.
    No idea how successful that will be, but feel we have no choice if we don't want to lose the property we want. Gah.
    • happytails
    • By happytails 12th Sep 17, 7:33 PM
    • 1,506 Posts
    • 9,213 Thanks
    happytails
    Today's 2nd viewing for the couple that viewed on Sunday went really well, she hinted they were going to make an offer so I really hope they do xx

    Natbag - that sucks similar happened to us 7 weeks ago, still trying to sell
    Sarah,

    Trying to move up the house ladder in 2017, running a business with 3 kids in tow & slowly going crazy!
    Member No43 - % Challenge
    • Natbag
    • By Natbag 13th Sep 17, 9:09 AM
    • 1,000 Posts
    • 647 Thanks
    Natbag
    Yep. Hoping for the best but preparing for the worst at the moment.
    Good luck with your 2nd viewing couple happytails, hope they make you a good offer!
    • Natbag
    • By Natbag 13th Sep 17, 10:08 AM
    • 1,000 Posts
    • 647 Thanks
    Natbag
    Our ex-buyers have reminded our EA that their offer of £10k under asking price still stands (as that's what their idiot surveyor valued it at and will only lend to them based on that sale price). The seller of the house we are meant to be buying will only budge by £2k, so basically we are expected to go find an extra £8k to secure the sales. Sigh.
    We reduced our price by £5k yesterday but stated 'offers over'. Considering other properties on our street have sold so fast for full asking price I'm tempted to hold out and see if we get any more interest first. The house we wanted took a lot longer to sell than ours did, so even if they put it back on the market we could still get it if we get an acceptable offer and buyer first, although I'm nervous as it sounds like they are willing to take less for it now and they did have other previous offers of that amount. There are no other houses on the market currently that suit our criteria, but one may come up. I really don't know what to do. Sigh.
    • kittie
    • By kittie 13th Sep 17, 10:26 AM
    • 11,048 Posts
    • 60,923 Thanks
    kittie
    a bird in the hand natbag
    • Crashy Time
    • By Crashy Time 13th Sep 17, 10:32 AM
    • 4,790 Posts
    • 2,104 Thanks
    Crashy Time
    Better than a tyre-kicker wandering about in the living room.....
    • lessonlearned
    • By lessonlearned 13th Sep 17, 10:39 AM
    • 9,985 Posts
    • 55,962 Thanks
    lessonlearned
    Natbag. I don't know you or your circumstances but reading your dilemma I am inclined to agree with Kittie......a bird in the hand and all that.

    Sounds like the people who offered on your house are serious. Do you know why the surveyors valued it as they did. Have your would be buyers or the EA discussed the surveyors report with you.

    You could accept a higher offer and then find that another surveyor gives a similar valuation.

    Everyone says that a house is worth what people are prepared to pay. Which is true. But when there is a mortgage involved then realistically it's only worth what the banks are prepared to lend....... plus whatever the purchaser can or will chip in.

    It will all depend on your local market, but Realistqcally in a slow market then, provided that your prospective buyer is in a position to proceed i.e. No dependent sale, then I would be inclined to accept so that you can move forward and buy the house you have set your heart on.
    • lessonlearned
    • By lessonlearned 13th Sep 17, 10:43 AM
    • 9,985 Posts
    • 55,962 Thanks
    lessonlearned
    Kate......a third viewing is not unreasonable.

    I am an ex estate agent with over 30 years experience. I would be far more concerned with a viewer who made an offer after only one viewing........

    Those are the ones who usually pull out.
    • Natbag
    • By Natbag 13th Sep 17, 12:27 PM
    • 1,000 Posts
    • 647 Thanks
    Natbag
    Natbag. I don't know you or your circumstances but reading your dilemma I am inclined to agree with Kittie......a bird in the hand and all that.

    Sounds like the people who offered on your house are serious. Do you know why the surveyors valued it as they did. Have your would be buyers or the EA discussed the surveyors report with you.

    You could accept a higher offer and then find that another surveyor gives a similar valuation.

    Everyone says that a house is worth what people are prepared to pay. Which is true. But when there is a mortgage involved then realistically it's only worth what the banks are prepared to lend....... plus whatever the purchaser can or will chip in.

    It will all depend on your local market, but Realistically in a slow market then, provided that your prospective buyer is in a position to proceed i.e. No dependent sale, then I would be inclined to accept so that you can move forward and buy the house you have set your heart on.
    Originally posted by lessonlearned
    We have weighed it all up, and appreciate the risks of holding out. At the moment we have a shortfall of £10k. I've just learned that we can only borrow an additional £3k and the sellers of the house we want will reduce by £2-3k to get things moving, but that still leaves us with a £4k-£5k gap that none of the three parties can/will bridge. So we are at stalemate.
    • lessonlearned
    • By lessonlearned 13th Sep 17, 12:31 PM
    • 9,985 Posts
    • 55,962 Thanks
    lessonlearned
    Natbag......stalemate indeed.

    Did you find out why the surveyors down valued. Because if it is something simple that you can put right it might be worth addressing now.

    Otherwise you might have this issue again further down the line.
    Last edited by lessonlearned; 13-09-2017 at 12:33 PM.
    • Natbag
    • By Natbag 13th Sep 17, 1:46 PM
    • 1,000 Posts
    • 647 Thanks
    Natbag
    I'm not sure lessonlearned, but you've reminded me to ask for a copy.
    Waiting to see if anything can give between our buyers and sellers. Failing that, we just have to wait for some more viewings. In the meantime I'm having a look to see if I can rearrange/remove some things from a couple of the rooms to make them look a little bigger. Not sure if will help but I need to do something.
    • dizzyblnd
    • By dizzyblnd 13th Sep 17, 8:57 PM
    • 349 Posts
    • 3,017 Thanks
    dizzyblnd
    Can I ask how long each of you were on the market before u got a buyer. Mines been on the market about 6 weeks, about 9 viewings but no offers so far and it's driving me mental. Is this normal? Am I expecting too much too soon? What's the average time from going on the market to getting an offer?
    NST #30: nsd 19/21
    • Natbag
    • By Natbag 13th Sep 17, 9:58 PM
    • 1,000 Posts
    • 647 Thanks
    Natbag
    dizzyblnd - 2 days the first time, almost 2 weeks this time (and counting).

    Update: Still no sign of the valuation report, it's up to the ex-buyers to show us and I doubt they'd be willing seeing as we aren't accepting their offer/lenders' valuation of £10k less than the original agreed sale price and have gone back to the open market.
    Anyway, that aside, the owners of the house we want to buy have said they'll come down by £3k, and our lender will increase our mortgage by £3k (that's their maximum, disappointingly), so that leaves a £4k shortfall that no-one is able to stump up. However, we now have two viewings booked in for the next two days, both first time buyers and one who specifically wants to buy in our neighbourhood, and all the above means we can accept an offer £6k lower than the original asking price (or £1k lower than the new 'offers above' price) to seal the deal. Hopefully that might help with any survey/valuation next time too as it won't be far off where it was valued at. We've had another big sort out tonight, completely moved round our living room to help with space/flow and same with our bedroom. Fingers crossed please!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

268Posts Today

1,329Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

  • Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

  • Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

  • Follow Martin