Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • fudge7000
    • By fudge7000 1st May 16, 7:23 PM
    • 178Posts
    • 523Thanks
    fudge7000
    Waiting for a buyer... Anyone want to join me?
    • #1
    • 1st May 16, 7:23 PM
    Waiting for a buyer... Anyone want to join me? 1st May 16 at 7:23 PM
    Anyone else out there selling and going through trying to keep the house tidy 24/7 so it doesn't take hours to sort out when there's a viewing?!
    Along with trying to second guess what the people viewing will do/offer/not offer...?

    Only been for sale a week, I assume it just gets worse from here on in?

    Not really done this before so thought I'd see if anyone else is in the same boat!
    First win (October) - Apple Ipod off a radio competition
    November - new nokia mobile phone, £250 electrical voucher (both radio comptitions)
    March - 2 cinema tickets to see 27 dresses (radio again!)

Page 104
    • dancing_star
    • By dancing_star 8th Jul 17, 12:19 PM
    • 83 Posts
    • 144 Thanks
    dancing_star
    On the edge of my seat, biting nails!
    Had a viewing the other day - I am not living in the property at the moment, it's been rented out but now I need to sell.

    I reduced asking price by £5k last week. Had viewing and this morning EA phoned with an offer £6k below the reduced price.

    I've told them to go away and come back with a better offer, that I'll only go £2k below the new price. They're thinking about it!

    EA closes at 2.30pm... aargh!

    I need to sell but I can't really afford to go as low as their offer. I'm hoping their offer was the equivalent of my first, ridiculous offer on the property I am buying.

    Fingers crossed!!
    • Crashy Time
    • By Crashy Time 8th Jul 17, 2:20 PM
    • 4,413 Posts
    • 2,028 Thanks
    Crashy Time
    On the edge of my seat, biting nails!
    Had a viewing the other day - I am not living in the property at the moment, it's been rented out but now I need to sell.

    I reduced asking price by £5k last week. Had viewing and this morning EA phoned with an offer £6k below the reduced price.

    I've told them to go away and come back with a better offer, that I'll only go £2k below the new price. They're thinking about it!

    EA closes at 2.30pm... aargh!

    I need to sell but I can't really afford to go as low as their offer. I'm hoping their offer was the equivalent of my first, ridiculous offer on the property I am buying.

    Fingers crossed!!
    Originally posted by dancing_star

    Telling buyers to "go away" is probably not a prudent move in this market IMO, but who knows, maybe they will run back having learned their lesson? Why don`t you tell your new house seller they need to drop a bit?
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 8th Jul 17, 5:18 PM
    • 7,496 Posts
    • 36,094 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Have you heard anything dancing star? Our first offer was definitely cheeky so you might as well negotiate...

    We went on the market Thursday afternoon, had 7 viewings this morning, and received an offer of 8.5% over te asking price at lunchtime
    Saved for house move: £13,152.95
    • dancing_star
    • By dancing_star 8th Jul 17, 5:53 PM
    • 83 Posts
    • 144 Thanks
    dancing_star
    Hi Cheery Daff! Congratulations to you. You must be really chuffed!!

    Viewer is going for a second viewing tomorrow morning. Bless my EA who is giving up his Sunday.

    I will go a bit lower with the buyer, as it is a cash deal, but not to his first cheeky offer. I do trust my EA and he advised me on the local market, and the fact I do need a quick sale as I need the equity to fund the work on my new place.

    So just hope the potential buyer decides they do like it tomorrow!
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 9th Jul 17, 7:58 AM
    • 7,496 Posts
    • 36,094 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Fingers crossed for you dancing star!

    We've got decisions to make. Our offer is from someone in the same position as we were last weekend - found dream house, theirs ready to go but not on market yet... they want us to take our off (and as I say have offered a hefty chunk over asking price if we will).

    So, do we:

    (1) reject and keep it on the market (it's been on less than 3 days). One 2nd viewing already booked, 3 other viewings scheduled this week and at least 5 others agent is arranging a time for so seems very likely we'll get another offer, and possibly go to best and final bids.

    (2) accept but put our own conditions on that they must have a PROCEEDABLE buyer themselves within say 3 weeks. They live in similar area to us so are probably likely to be able to do that -as we just did (although we'rebin better school catchment which is why they want to move). They've booked appointment for our estate agent to value theirs on Monday and said they'll get it on the market as soon as they hear from us.

    We offered on our new house before we were on the market - vendors 'accepted' but refused to take theirs off before we'd accepted offer on ours. Contacted vendor's estate agent yesterday to ask if they'd take it off if we accepted this, despite incomplete chain (they're still looking for somewhere themselves anyway). No reply from them, and agent is doing another viewing there this morning (the only one since our offer last week).

    Trying to decide what I'd do if I hadn't met everyone yesterday

    My agent not open til tomorrow anyway and who knows, they may have had several more offers by email over the weekend

    I'm aware this is a nice "problem" to have!
    Saved for house move: £13,152.95
    • sheff6107
    • By sheff6107 9th Jul 17, 8:54 AM
    • 403 Posts
    • 276 Thanks
    sheff6107
    Reject it.

    As far as I'm concerned a non-proceedable offer is the equivalent of me walking into a Ferrari dealership and trying to reserve one. You shouldn't even be viewing houses until you have an offer and you're a couple of weeks into the process in my book.
    • Mickygg
    • By Mickygg 9th Jul 17, 9:14 AM
    • 1,279 Posts
    • 994 Thanks
    Mickygg
    Cheery daft I would too reject it. What if it takes them months to find their property?
    I only ever accept offers from proceedable people and will never change that stance.
    • Pumpkim
    • By Pumpkim 9th Jul 17, 12:17 PM
    • 85 Posts
    • 113 Thanks
    Pumpkim
    I would reject it too Cheery. You can't proceed on your dream home until they find a buyer, you could end up losing it. Sounds like with all the interest you'll have a buyer good to go within the week. There doesn't seem to be any reason to wait for them, you're not actually getting 8.5% above if they can't buy it.
    This is from someone in your position, who did wait and lost their dream home, only difference being we didn't have nearly as much interest as you!
    • Pumpkim
    • By Pumpkim 9th Jul 17, 12:21 PM
    • 85 Posts
    • 113 Thanks
    Pumpkim
    Oh and just to add, the original buyer still haven't sold their home 2 months later despite them "living in a very desirable area that will sell in no time". Lesson Learned the hard way!
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 9th Jul 17, 1:57 PM
    • 7,496 Posts
    • 36,094 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Thanks all. Got a bit giddy yesterday with all the excitement and they were very nice

    But I think you're right. Our vendors wouldnt wait for us to sell and we just pulled our fingers out and got on with it so hopefully they'll do the same.

    Spoke to vendors agents today - they've had a THIRD viewing from a cash buyer today but vendors are going on holiday tomorrow for a week so hopefully thatll give other people a chance to view/offer on ours...
    Saved for house move: £13,152.95
    • dancing_star
    • By dancing_star 9th Jul 17, 2:46 PM
    • 83 Posts
    • 144 Thanks
    dancing_star
    Fingers crossed for you Daff!

    Well, I have sale agreed for what I paid for my flat. I'd have liked a bit more, but I'm relieved. Was getting stressed waiting, and at least this way it's off my mind.

    Cheers!!
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 9th Jul 17, 3:37 PM
    • 7,496 Posts
    • 36,094 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Excellent news dancing star, well done you!
    Saved for house move: £13,152.95
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 11th Jul 17, 11:16 AM
    • 7,496 Posts
    • 36,094 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Well we've rejected the ludicrous offer, and now have an offer from a first time buyer who's met us half way between his original offer and the ludicrous one

    Tempting to snatch his hand off right now, but weve decided to leave it on the market for a full week, and let the four viewers booked in for tomorrow have a chance to view.

    Estate agent is going to ring them all, tell them.about existing offer, and check their status - if they're not immediately procedable or able to offer more than existing offer, then he'll cancel the viewing. Couple of other viewing requests came in last night so he'll say the same to them.

    We've committed to making a final decision on Thursday afternoon, when we'll have been on for a full week.

    Absolutely NO intention of entertaining a higher offer once we've accepted this one, so we just want to make sure we give it enough of a chance so we're not kicking ourselves for waiting.

    No other offers on the house we want to buy (and vendors are now on holiday) so fingers crossed...
    Saved for house move: £13,152.95
    • happytails
    • By happytails 12th Jul 17, 7:31 PM
    • 1,466 Posts
    • 9,168 Thanks
    happytails
    Thats great cheerydaff! Sadly we dont have the same amount of viewers here - where are you based?
    We are North West England, we've had 7 viewings in 5 months

    Its been a week since new estate agents and new pics. We had 1 viewer today, 2 blokes, they came in, spent 2 mins looking around, went outside, I heard one of them mutter it was too small and then they said thanks and left. We have a family of 5 and a large dog in this house (3 bed semi) so not sure what was small particularly. More peeved i spent a really sunny afternoon cleaning.

    Considering reducing house again, Im now at the point where i just need to sell. Its on for £114.950 and thinking of taking it down to £108,000 (we can afford to sell it at £105k or more) hoping it will produce a buyer as i'm seriously fed up.

    Sarah
    Sarah, Mummy to Amber, Lucas and Evelyn.

    Member No43 - % Challenge
    • happytails
    • By happytails 13th Jul 17, 4:13 PM
    • 1,466 Posts
    • 9,168 Thanks
    happytails
    Thats great cheerydaff! Sadly we dont have the same amount of viewers here - where are you based?
    We are North West England, we've had 7 viewings in 5 months

    Its been a week since new estate agents and new pics. We had 1 viewer today, 2 blokes, they came in, spent 2 mins looking around, went outside, I heard one of them mutter it was too small and then they said thanks and left. We have a family of 5 and a large dog in this house (3 bed semi) so not sure what was small particularly. More peeved i spent a really sunny afternoon cleaning.

    Considering reducing house again, Im now at the point where i just need to sell. Its on for £114.950 and thinking of taking it down to £108,000 (we can afford to sell it at £105k or more) hoping it will produce a buyer as i'm seriously fed up.

    Sarah
    Originally posted by happytails
    After much discussion we decided to go with offers over £107,000 this morning. (Reduced from starting price of £125,000 which was too high to start with IMO)
    Sarah, Mummy to Amber, Lucas and Evelyn.

    Member No43 - % Challenge
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 13th Jul 17, 4:44 PM
    • 7,496 Posts
    • 36,094 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Fingers crossed for you Happytails...

    We're in south Yorkshire, partner bought this place nearly 30 years ago and it's a lovely area to live in, and we're near outstanding schools and thigs sell pretty quickly round here.

    We were planning a final decision today but we've another four viewings today/tomorrow so we've decided to let them go ahead, then that's the end of it so we'll get something accepted over the weekend. Cash buyer viewing tonight - fingers crossed...
    Saved for house move: £13,152.95
    • kazd
    • By kazd 13th Jul 17, 11:05 PM
    • 1,106 Posts
    • 434 Thanks
    kazd
    Why do we always attempt to sell in a flat market..........
    Our house has been on the market nearly two weeks now, we live in an area that two months ago was touted in the news as having the fast selling property in the country. We are in a race to sell as buying a new build that someone (albeit only one) else is interested in, they haven't viewed yet but are in a position to proceed.

    I am on absolute tenterhooks, have reduced the price but can't really afford to accept much less than our reduced price now. Only two other houses for sale in our area in the same price brackets both a fair bit more but nothing is moving.

    Had 4 viewings in the first week but nothing since and those viewing s were people who were on the EA's books. No interest coming in from RM.

    £2.00 Savers Club = £34.00 So Far

    + however may £2 coins I have saved in my Terramundi since 2000.

    Terramundi weighs 8lb 5oz
    • happytails
    • By happytails 14th Jul 17, 8:49 PM
    • 1,466 Posts
    • 9,168 Thanks
    happytails
    Its hard isnt it Kazd.

    Well our house was reduced at 11am yesterday and already have 2 viewings booked already - one for sunday, her house sale is due to be completed end of July according to EA. Second on Monday, she isnt from this area so is travelling about 40 mins, she doesnt have anything to sell so unsure if she is a FTB or buying a property to let perhaps?

    I touched up some paintwork today and tomorrow will be a tidy up and a tip run Really hope one of these viewings goes well enough for a good offer x
    Sarah, Mummy to Amber, Lucas and Evelyn.

    Member No43 - % Challenge
    • scottishgirl87
    • By scottishgirl87 14th Jul 17, 9:37 PM
    • 631 Posts
    • 355 Thanks
    scottishgirl87
    Well we have accepted an offer after 2 weeks on the market! Eek! Looks like I need to move onto the thread for people looking for a house to buy...
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 14th Jul 17, 9:48 PM
    • 7,496 Posts
    • 36,094 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Eek, congratulations Scottishgirl!

    Fingers crossed for you HappyTails xx

    Good luck kazd, so difficult knowing what to do and trying to second guess everyone

    Were in a fortunate position - two offers currently on the table (one non-disclosable so that other doesn't know how much it is). Going to hopefully agree tomorrow.

    However we are having slight doubts about the place we've put an offer in on going to drive over tonight to check pub noise etc - if we can hear music from the pub itight be a deal breaker for us hate messing people round, but fortunately while thy acvepted our offer, they havent actually taken theirs off the market. I feel awful if we had to say no but at least nobody's committed to anything yet and it's best to pull out now but hopefully we won't need to...
    Saved for house move: £13,152.95
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,006Posts Today

8,462Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

  • WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

  • RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

  • Follow Martin