Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • onlyroz
    • By onlyroz 30th Apr 16, 3:29 PM
    • 11,933Posts
    • 22,217Thanks
    onlyroz
    What are you reading?
    • 30th Apr 16, 3:29 PM
    What are you reading? 30th Apr 16 at 3:29 PM
    There was a thread about e-books but I couldn't find a generic "what are you reading?" thread - so I thought I'd start one.

My recent reads are:

Just one damn thing after another - Jodi Taylor. This is best described as a historical science fiction time-traveling comedy. It takes a while to get going, and the body count is quite high but it's good fun. Don't expect great literature but the laughs are frequent.

The Moonstone - Wilkie Collins (audiobook). The original and one of the best English detective stories. Written in 1868, this is the story of a cursed Indian diamond, its theft, and the steps taken to recover it. Collins was a friend of Dickens and this was originally serialised in Dickens' magazine. Well worth a read, and the audio version is excellent.
Page 7
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 19th Sep 16, 8:56 PM
    • 5,514 Posts
    • 13,638 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    I'm re-reading Pride & Prejudice. Lovely alternate universe to wander around in.
    I have even managed to get eldest teenage son to read it, so he appreciates Pride & Prejudice & Zombies. It's hock deep in good jokes and deft reusages - and you'll only get that if you've read P&P.
    • onlyroz
    • By onlyroz 19th Sep 16, 9:42 PM
    • 11,933 Posts
    • 22,217 Thanks
    onlyroz
    We had that as a book group choice - all those who normally loved JKR hated it, those of us who thought H Potter vastly overated were very pleasantly surprised.
    Originally posted by missbiggles1
    I think the problem was with people assuming it would be like Harry Potter. I really like her Galbraith books as well.
    • Huskyrunner
    • By Huskyrunner 19th Sep 16, 11:45 PM
    • 314 Posts
    • 330 Thanks
    Huskyrunner
    Just finished Sean (ginger beardy)Conways book Cycling the earth really good read the guys a funny character.

Currently trying something different Jack Reacher-Trip Wire by Lee Childs 200 pages in and so far its a hmmmmmmm
    debts 16719 on dmp with cccs
    Survey earnings/Cashback since/money back off items 4-6-16 £45.50
    Mortgage 69900
    • Ames
    • By Ames 19th Sep 16, 11:46 PM
    • 15,202 Posts
    • 25,754 Thanks
    Ames
    I think the problem was with people assuming it would be like Harry Potter. I really like her Galbraith books as well.
    Originally posted by onlyroz
    I was disappointed by it. It was nothing like my experience of being on a parish council, although I think there are ones out there with more money and influence. There were also loads of little things that annoyed me, the one I remember being that the GP had paper notes in her hand when she called patients through - I can't remember the last time I saw that, it was years before the book was written though!
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.

Recent reads: Everyday Sexism by Laura Bates. Headscarves and Hymens by Mona Eltahawy. Justice - What is the Right Thing To Do by Michael Sandel. Is Multiculturalism Bad For Women by Susan Moller Okin.
    • TE1979
    • By TE1979 20th Sep 16, 2:47 AM
    • 138 Posts
    • 263 Thanks
    TE1979
    Just about to start reading Amy Schumer's The Girl With The Lower Back Tattoo. She is my favourite comedian.
    • Reggie Rebel
    • By Reggie Rebel 20th Sep 16, 10:58 AM
    • 4,716 Posts
    • 7,352 Thanks
    Reggie Rebel
    Bill Bryson's The Road to Little Dribbling.

I imagine Bryson is marmite, I'm a fan
    It's taken me years of experience to get this cynical
    • tommix
    • By tommix 20th Sep 16, 11:02 AM
    • 32,015 Posts
    • 132,583 Thanks
    tommix
    Something Hidden. Kerry Wilkinson.

Straight up thriller. No frills, plenty of thrills.
    • fairy lights
    • By fairy lights 20th Sep 16, 11:16 AM
    • 5,840 Posts
    • 18,557 Thanks
    fairy lights
    My Brilliant Friend, by Elena Ferrante. I'm only about 20 pages in but it's not really gripping me yet.
    • pollypenny
    • By pollypenny 20th Sep 16, 1:05 PM
    • 20,042 Posts
    • 50,912 Thanks
    pollypenny
    Someone mentioned on another board an A-Z authors challenge. I'm not sure who runs it, but it sounded interesting. I guess you pick an author whose surname begins with A, then once you've read that book, go on to B and so on.

A keen reader would probably get through the alphabet in a year! I can imagine authors beginning with certain letters (X for example) might be a bit thin on the ground though.
    Originally posted by Dill

I can only think of Xinran, a Chinese author who used to write a column in The Guardian.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
    • Mrs_Ryan
    • By Mrs_Ryan 20th Sep 16, 1:09 PM
    • 9,475 Posts
    • 16,910 Thanks
    Mrs_Ryan
    The World According To... by Danny Dyer. Not impressed he's nice to look at but he don't half spout some rubbish
    What am I letting myself into Proud sponsor of a prop for the 16/17 season- welcome Mr W
    Thrilled and proud to have met my hero 13 and 15/05- thanks Fran!
    Will always miss you Elle and will never forget you, brightest star in the sky 😢
    Always Team V xx
    • pollypenny
    • By pollypenny 20th Sep 16, 1:09 PM
    • 20,042 Posts
    • 50,912 Thanks
    pollypenny
    We had that as a book group choice - all those who normally loved JKR hated it, those of us who thought H Potter vastly overated were very pleasantly surprised.
    Originally posted by missbiggles1

That had had dreadful reviews. However, most in our book group liked it, seeing it as a good picture of small town pettiness.

We all disliked Little Dribbling, though, finding Bryson pretentious and condescending. A shame, I've loved his previous stuff - that's apart from the incorrect advice on how to pronounce various Welsh and Irish words in 'Mother Tongue'.

• Dill
    • By Dill 20th Sep 16, 8:18 PM
    • 1,579 Posts
    • 2,875 Thanks
    Dill
    I can only think of Xinran, a Chinese author who used to write a column in The Guardian.
    Originally posted by pollypenny
    Here's some (including several by XinRan) :

https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/42210.Authors_Starting_With_X_

I may have to come back to that list in a few months time!
    • Ames
    • By Ames 20th Sep 16, 8:25 PM
    • 15,202 Posts
    • 25,754 Thanks
    Ames
    I've got Soul Mountain and Xinran rings a bell. I like the idea of going through the alphabet, I really need to ge the TBR down.
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.

Recent reads: Everyday Sexism by Laura Bates. Headscarves and Hymens by Mona Eltahawy. Justice - What is the Right Thing To Do by Michael Sandel. Is Multiculturalism Bad For Women by Susan Moller Okin.
    • pollypenny
    • By pollypenny 21st Sep 16, 8:09 AM
    • 20,042 Posts
    • 50,912 Thanks
    pollypenny
    I read Soul Mountain years ago and forgot it. Good choice of Chinese authors, of course.

• Sparhawke
    • By Sparhawke 22nd Sep 16, 6:35 AM
    • 1,369 Posts
    • 2,316 Thanks
    Sparhawke
    Currently hunting for book 6 of The Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan but will often read anything I can find (out of 14)

I have read thousands of books..
    "Don't blink. Blink and you're dead. They are fast. Faster than you can believe. Don't turn your back. Don't look away. And don't blink. Good Luck" - The Doctor.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

772Posts Today

6,525Users online

Martin's Twitter