Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Work & Benefits > Benefits & Tax Credits > Am I disabled? Am I entitled to badge/benefits?? (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Am I disabled? Am I entitled to badge/benefits??
Closed Thread
Views: 8,491
# 1
A little stressed!!
Old 06-09-2007, 10:20 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Default Am I disabled? Am I entitled to badge/benefits??

I have been diagnose with arthritis in my foot eventually after 2years or 'nothing wrong' after an x-ray 18 months ago when it was clear that the bones in my foot have disintigrated. I was then put on the waiting list for surgery & have had 1 year of pain/discomfort. My operation wacurings this week with low chances of curing my foot, at best just an improvement, at worst it will be worse than before.

I lost my job 2 months ago, mainly for not getting along with my supioriors, but maybe some resentment due to the time off I would be needing and the slight affect on my work.

I am only 21, am now on crutches for 6 weeks+ and have had part of my toe removed so will need physio.

Does this count as light disability? I am more interested in parking badge than benefits as I need to get to college and hopefully work (before my savings run out!) I can't drive for at least the 6weeks, and may have to get an automatic after that as I get pain using clutch (left foot)

I aslo have a 20month old son and he will be starting nursery/playgroup soon.

Sorry to witter on, just trying to include fact, any help would be great!
# 2
Poppycat
Old 06-09-2007, 10:37 AM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

If you get a higher rate of DLA you automatically qualify for a blue badge, but as you appear not to get that I would contact your local council and ask for a form for the blue badge, I think they charge a small admin fee to process the application, you will have to submit two passport photos, or digital photos passport type, and then ask to preform a small walking exercise so be assessed probably at local hospital

We got turned down original for my daughter who is also on a crutch and has balance problems, but we appealed and won, she doesn't get DLA yet we got turned down twice but am appealing.

Despite what people say its very hard getting DLA, you either have to a good actor or severely disabled. I personnel think the whole system sucks because my daughter cant get to a-b so she needs transport that costs, and she doesnt have any money

Good luck

BTW blue badge if you get it is for you and not the car so if someone takes you out in there car you can park in specified park areas as long as you display the blue badge and time disc thing

Last edited by Poppycat; 06-09-2007 at 10:39 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Poppycat For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
A little stressed!!
Old 06-09-2007, 11:10 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I filled in the application from on the direct gov website. They asked about contacting my Dr, but I don't know how much she knows as I've only been seeing a consultant surgeon for the last year +. Would my Dr. be up to date with all details??
# 4
Bogof_Babe
Old 06-09-2007, 7:27 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by A little stressed!! View Post
I filled in the application from on the direct gov website. They asked about contacting my Dr, but I don't know how much she knows as I've only been seeing a consultant surgeon for the last year +. Would my Dr. be up to date with all details??
Everything is on computer these days, so I am sure your hospital consultant's details will be available on your GP's records.
I haven't bogged off yet, and I ain't no babe

The Following User Says Thank You to Bogof_Babe For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
skips mum
Old 07-09-2007, 10:10 AM
MoneySaving Convert

My sister-in-law applied for DLA as she smashed both feet falling off a roof. She can walk a bit but has balance problems and struggles with steps. She was turned down, but on appeal she was awarded full mobility and they said they couldnt understand why she was turned down. Hope this helps!
The Following User Says Thank You to skips mum For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
puddings
Old 25-06-2009, 11:58 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

littlestressed, im glad mse dont delete old threads like yours!

i find myself in a similar situation to you. cant walk for more than about 10 minutes at a time. frequently nap during the day. most of my problems stem from being so overweight and my doctor (like a lot of other people) treat me like its all self inflicted and so when i ask him about getting disability element to my working tax credit his attitude is why should he do anything to help me when i dont help myself?

Last edited by puddings; 25-06-2009 at 12:00 PM.
# 7
SomeBozo
Old 25-06-2009, 12:30 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Why would MSE delete threads like this?

MSE tends to delete threads about fraud, flaming or unsolicited stuff, not genuine questions about benefits and entitlement.

Quote:
most of my problems stem from being so overweight and my doctor ..... his attitude is why should he do anything to help me when i dont help myself?
Why don't you help yourself then?

I don't see your point in relation to the OPs thread, he has arthritus and some foot removed.

Bozo
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SomeBozo For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
juno
Old 25-06-2009, 12:42 PM

But puddings is helping himself. Puddings has joined the Pie Club and is doing really well at losing weight!
Sealed pot challenge #377
Target 125 - 2009 total 117.57
2010 total 151.95

Murphy's No More Pies Club #209
# 9
viktory
Old 25-06-2009, 12:51 PM
PPR

Quote:
Originally Posted by juno View Post
But puddings is helping himself. Puddings has joined the Pie Club and is doing really well at losing weight!
That's brilliant news and I am quite sure once the weight is off puddings will be able to live a 'normal' life with a job etc thus negating the needs for benefits etc.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to viktory For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
dmg24
Old 25-06-2009, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by puddings View Post

i find myself in a similar situation to you. cant walk for more than about 10 minutes at a time. frequently nap during the day. most of my problems stem from being so overweight and my doctor (like a lot of other people) treat me like its all self inflicted and so when i ask him about getting disability element to my working tax credit his attitude is why should he do anything to help me when i dont help myself?
I am also unsure of how your post relates to the OP's? The OP says nothing about their condition being related to their weight?

I am overweight. I know that when I get past a certain size I get a lot of discomfort in my knees (makes me sound like a right heffer! ). It is not nice, but I do know that it is my fault. I certainly would not claim benefits for it.

Good luck with your weight loss.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dmg24 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
tanyalbeck
Old 07-06-2010, 9:46 PM
MoneySaving Convert

This my fist time posting / talking out loud about this... but both my husband and I are insulin dependent diabetics and have spleen/ immune system issues where we take antibiotics daily (for life!) I'm also hypothyroid and on medication. On their own, each condition is manageable but the combination means that if i get a cold/ cough it can put me out for weeks!! because of this I am often sick and cannot earn (I am a slef employed childminder.) As these are long term conditioner that can't get any better, would it be worth applying for disability status? how do I do this? I would want to carry on working... it's just getting harder to do it full time with all the illness and FATIGUE that surrounds everthing!! Sorry to moan... any advice would be appreciated!!
Tanya
# 12
kingfisherblue
Old 07-06-2010, 10:06 PM

You can only claim DLA if you have care and/or mobility needs - a diagnosis does not mean that you can get DLA. Do you and your husband have any care or mobility needs?
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to kingfisherblue For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 13
SuziQ
Old 08-06-2010, 3:32 PM

Tanya, from what you have posted here, it doesn't sound likely that you are entitled to any benefits. As your illnesses come and go it would be difficult to prove a long term need of benefit. Have you spoken to your endocrinologist regarding your thyroid/diabetic problems-have they just stated there is nothing that can be done to improve your resillience ie vitamins etc? Is your husband managing to hold down a job? Maybe you could go to a welfare advisor to discuss whether there is anything you haven't thought of?
Tomorrow is always fresh, with no mistakes in it!
The Following User Says Thank You to SuziQ For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 14
kingfisherblue
Old 08-06-2010, 4:33 PM

My son has hypothyroidism and although the diagnosis was quite recent, I have been assured that it will not affect his life if he takes his medication regularly. Websites on hypothyroidism bear this out.

Diabetes can, of course, affect people in may different ways, but DLA will still depend on care needs, not diagnosis. SuzyQ's suggestion of speaking to the endocrinologist is a good one.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kingfisherblue For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 15
tanyalbeck
Old 29-06-2010, 10:42 PM
MoneySaving Convert

thanks guys!! I have had the diabetes and hypothyroid most of my life and am on the right levels of medication etc, but the effects on the body still exist and makes me more prone to being run down and catching bugs.... the hypospenism is newly diagnosed but has the same effect!! My endochronologist / GP / haematologist all confirm this. but i have no extra care needs, nor does my husband... yet!! it's just frustrating that I can be off sick for a week or 2 every month with a cold / chest infection which quickly turns to pneumonia if not not treated and rested.
# 16
Oldernotwiser
Old 29-06-2010, 10:58 PM
PPR

My husband has emphysema and has to be very careful to avoid infections. In your situation I would think that being a childminder was one of the least suitable jobs for you - little germ magnets that they are!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Oldernotwiser For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 17
kingfisherblue
Old 30-06-2010, 7:47 AM

My son also has problems with his chest - infections seem to come out of nowhere and can be quite severe 9including pneumonia). It might be possible for your GP or consultant to prescribe a low dose antiobiotic that you take every day, even when you are well. This can help to prevent infections taking hold.

You should also consider self help. I give my son chest physio and he has a contraption from the hospital (I think it is called an exhalator - you blow into it and this makes a ball rise. You have to keep the ball in the air for as long as possible. It helps to dislodge phlegm).

Steam inhalations can help, as can lymphatic massage to loosen mucus and prevent it settling in the lungs.

My son is now twelve, and hasn't had a hospital admission (except for planned surgery) since he was six weeks old. Even when he had pneumonia, he stayed at home. His chest consultant and his paediatrician and surgeon are amazed that he isn't hospitalised every winter, as he has so many chest infections and is high risk. Trying to prevent major infections (and I do all of the above for him) are part of my son's care needs - he can't do them himself. Cold weather is horrendous for him, and I often get very little sleep as much of his care takes palce overnight (and I defintely can't sleep when he is coughing). The above methods help to some extent thoguh, and anything is worth a try.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kingfisherblue For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 18
gwynevere
Old 21-12-2010, 1:23 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Angry Really Confused

I am really confused by the governments information regarding whether or not one has a disability.

Let me explane.

I require some information on what constitutes a disability when you are 60+ and whether there is an entitlement to benefits.

There was no clear explanation so I am no wiser for having looked.

Let me explain the reason for my enquiry.

I have been diagnosed with Arthritis in my neck, (cervical spodylosis) have had treatment but it really doesn't improve. I also have a scoliosis in my spine, two discs in my lumber spine that are half the size of normal discs, consequently this condition traps the nerves leading to my right leg causing severe pain and limiting the distance i am able to walk.I also have arthritis in my hands which makes opening jars almost impossible and writing really difficult and painful. My feet are also disfigured due to this condition.

I don't tend to visit the Doctors very often preferring to try to help myself. I have been working as an activities coordinator up to 10th of Dec but have found it increasingly difficult to perform my duties so decided to retire.

What help is there out there, can anyone offer advice please.
Many thanks, and sorry about the ramblings.
# 19
Indie Kid
Old 21-12-2010, 1:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynevere View Post
I am really confused by the governments information regarding whether or not one has a disability.
Having a disability doesn't automatically entitle you to disability benefits.
Sealed pot challenge #232. Gold stars from Sue-UU - 75.29 banked
50p saver #40 20 banked
Virtual sealed pot #178 80.25
# 20
Lirin
Old 21-12-2010, 4:47 PM

Sideways interest in this- I would never register for disability, but have been offered it- had a letter sent to me as a teenager.
I don't consider myself disabled, and took the view that other people needed it more than I did. At most, my eye is an inconvienence.
Still- it would have been so easy to send the form back accepting it. I wonder how many are registered disabled who don't require it? It uses up resources for those who do.
Closed Thread