Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • jetplane
    • By jetplane 30th Apr 16, 10:41 AM
    • 1,502Posts
    • 3,572Thanks
    jetplane
    0 WOW
    Planning a holiday to Cuba
    • 30th Apr 16, 10:41 AM
    0 WOW
    Planning a holiday to Cuba 30th Apr 16 at 10:41 AM
    I would like to visit Cuba, some time between October 2016 and June 2017. I do love beach holidays and snorkeling but would like to see some of the culture.

Has anyone got any advice or tips on best times to travel, who to travel with and location. Any other information would be welcomed eg, best and worst bits, what to be aware of.

Thanks
    The most potent weapon of the oppressor is the mind of the oppressed. Steve Biko
Page 2
    • enginesuck
    • By enginesuck 5th Oct 16, 12:19 PM
    • 123 Posts
    • 149 Thanks
    enginesuck
    I found it uninspiring, beaches not as good as other Caribbean destinations. Also the food was very poor. Both in Hotels and Cantinas.

Id recommend Willemstad in Curacao as a nice Caribbean destination.
    • Voyager2002
    • By Voyager2002 5th Oct 16, 1:33 PM
    • 11,031 Posts
    • 7,384 Thanks
    Voyager2002
    I found it uninspiring, beaches not as good as other Caribbean destinations. Also the food was very poor. Both in Hotels and Cantinas.
    Originally posted by enginesuck
    Tastes differ, but I think you must have been ripped off. I found Cuba to be the most inspiring holiday destination I have ever visited. Beaches and snorkelling were vastly better than I experienced in Dominican Republic; West Africa; Philippines; California; on a par with Thailand and Seychelles. Did you let someone dodgy choose a beach for you?

I do agree that food is disappointing: I think the best food is to be found in your Casa Particular.
    • Polly Esther
    • By Polly Esther 10th Oct 16, 7:35 PM
    • 51 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    Polly Esther
    Tastes differ, but I think you must have been ripped off. I found Cuba to be the most inspiring holiday destination I have ever visited. Beaches and snorkelling were vastly better than I experienced in Dominican Republic; West Africa; Philippines; California; on a par with Thailand and Seychelles. Did you let someone dodgy choose a beach for you?

I do agree that food is disappointing: I think the best food is to be found in your Casa Particular.
    Originally posted by Voyager2002
    Shame you had vastly worse experiences in Dominican Republic; West Africa; Philippines; California; That's quite the gamut. Hope you didn't get ripped off or show up at a beach chosen by someone dodgy.
    • Voyager2002
    • By Voyager2002 11th Oct 16, 2:31 AM
    • 11,031 Posts
    • 7,384 Thanks
    Voyager2002
    Shame you had vastly worse experiences in Dominican Republic; West Africa; Philippines; California; That's quite the gamut. Hope you didn't get ripped off or show up at a beach chosen by someone dodgy.
    Originally posted by Polly Esther
    Thanks for the concern, but since I lived in each of Benin (West Africa) and Philippines for a couple of years each, I probably found some of the best attractions that each country offered. The point of my post was not to say that there was anything wrong with the destinations that I mentioned, but to highlight that Cuba at its best is absolutely outstanding.
    • KingS6
    • By KingS6 11th Oct 16, 4:49 AM
    • 394 Posts
    • 332 Thanks
    KingS6
    Give Cayo Guillermo a consideration too. Enjoyed my trip there.

There is also Cayo Coco too.
    • Archergirl
    • By Archergirl 11th Oct 16, 4:03 PM
    • 985 Posts
    • 532 Thanks
    Archergirl
    Which places offer the best snorkeling,? We love the Red Sea and also the Maldives, little disappointed with Aruba
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

546Posts Today

3,536Users online

Martin's Twitter