Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • CashStrapped
    • By CashStrapped 29th Apr 16, 12:36 AM
    • 1,086Posts
    • 603Thanks
    CashStrapped
    Iresa Limited - New Energy Company?
    • 29th Apr 16, 12:36 AM
    Iresa Limited - New Energy Company? 29th Apr 16 at 12:36 AM
    Official MSE Insert:

If you're considering switching use our Cheap Energy Club to check you're getting the best deal for you first.

Back to CashStrapped's original post...

-----------

New energy company has appeared in my area offering good rates.

Iresa Limited.

Cannot find posts about them on the fourm.

http://www.iresa.co.uk/

The company is based in Nottingham.

Website is up and running and looks quite advanced and functional. Cannot assess the functionality of the online account services obviously.

Companies house brings up the director as (text removed by MSE Forum Team). I do not know if he has connections to any other energy companies.

Anyone have any other information? Signed up with them?
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 30-03-2017 at 4:45 PM. Reason: Personal details
Page 13
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 10th Jul 17, 9:08 AM
    • 3,888 Posts
    • 2,173 Thanks
    Hengus
    Try leaving. I thought that after countless e-mails and a threat of legal action to recover my credit that I could, at last, put the Iresa experience behind me. Two and half months on, having previously received Final Bills, I get two e-mails from Iresa this morning to say that my monthly bills are ready.

The 'Your Accounts' page shows a gas debit of £27.84 and electricity shows a credit balance of £28.08. Having taken over 45 minutes to download both bills, The Electricity Monthly Bill shows a credit balance of £0.24 and the Gas Monthly Bill shows a balance of £0.

God knows what accounting standards they are using: clearly, they have bought in a package from Planet Confusion. I look forward to receiving my refund of £0.24.
    • brewerdave
    • By brewerdave 10th Jul 17, 9:08 AM
    • 4,362 Posts
    • 1,774 Thanks
    brewerdave
    Agree in principle with post# 239 -my leccy only account is running smoothly and accurately .
    HOWEVER, my DD is obviously set too high as my credit balance is mounting up. I've messaged at least twice re a review but nothing has happened. If it continues, I'll be ~ £120 in credit when the fixed deal ends.
    • brewerdave
    • By brewerdave 10th Jul 17, 9:12 AM
    • 4,362 Posts
    • 1,774 Thanks
    brewerdave
    As per Hengus ,I received an email this morning announcing that my bill is ready - but can't get logged on again, presumably because every other customer is trying .
    Why they don't stagger bill dates (and DD dates etc) is beyond me.
    • Samsung_Note2
    • By Samsung_Note2 10th Jul 17, 9:33 AM
    • 37 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    Samsung_Note2
    Think its just a terrible provider...ive canceled my direct debit as both accounts were over £80 each in credit and was told by customer service (i was customer 68 in que) that its good to build up a big credit balance as it off sets it in winter.

The direct debit is a fixed amount,so thats complete nonsense...secondly its my money so it stays in my account until needed.

Ws told if i REALLY wanted it back then they would refund me..however they advise against that.

Ive had enough and will be leaving them..cheap but terrible service.
    • GinCo
    • By GinCo 10th Jul 17, 9:46 AM
    • 5 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    GinCo
    ...my DD is obviously set too high as my credit balance is mounting up.
    At the risk of asking a stupid question, have you allowed for your first payment putting you in credit by one month's DD at the outset?

Regarding the website, I've had the same issue and noticed it being inaccessible at other times, but also had the option to use 'old or new' portals recently. Perhaps that's part of the explanation? Being a relatively new customer it's hard for me to judge.
    • GinCo
    • By GinCo 10th Jul 17, 10:05 AM
    • 5 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    GinCo
    The direct debit is a fixed amount,so thats complete nonsense...
    Mine seemed right for my estimated year's usage divided into 12 fixed payments, and I expected to accumulate credit over spring/summer that's eaten up in autumn/winter because I have electric heating/hot water. Have I missed something?

secondly its my money so it stays in my account until needed
    Getting a higher rate of interest than instant access savings-accounts on my predictable pre-autumn credit balance, given my pattern of usage, was one of the things that attracted me... especially because I was switching in spring. I wouldn't want to 'withdraw' money from them for the reason you give.

Have you been through a 6 or 12 month DD review with them? That's one aspect I've wondered about, given it'll be due in September for me.
    • brewerdave
    • By brewerdave 10th Jul 17, 10:36 AM
    • 4,362 Posts
    • 1,774 Thanks
    brewerdave
    At the risk of asking a stupid question, have you allowed for your first payment putting you in credit by one month's DD at the outset?

Regarding the website, I've had the same issue and noticed it being inaccessible at other times, but also had the option to use 'old or new' portals recently. Perhaps that's part of the explanation? Being a relatively new customer it's hard for me to judge.
    Originally posted by GinCo
    Yes I have - AFTER the new bill I'm in credit by about 7 weeks worth -over £100 - my DD initially was set at about £10 more pm than is needed. As its for leccy only then it should be set at my expected monthly bill as my electricity consumption doesn't vary during the year,other than holidays.
    EDIT I say new bill but still can't see it - I'm going off the balance figure I saw yesterday.
    Last edited by brewerdave; 10-07-2017 at 11:21 AM.
    • youravinalarrrf
    • By youravinalarrrf 10th Jul 17, 11:01 AM
    • 282 Posts
    • 178 Thanks
    youravinalarrrf
    Try leaving. I thought that after countless e-mails and a threat of legal action to recover my credit that I could, at last, put the Iresa experience behind me. Two and half months on, having previously received Final Bills, I get two e-mails from Iresa this morning to say that my monthly bills are ready.

The 'Your Accounts' page shows a gas debit of £27.84 and electricity shows a credit balance of £28.08. Having taken over 45 minutes to download both bills, The Electricity Monthly Bill shows a credit balance of £0.24 and the Gas Monthly Bill shows a balance of £0.

God knows what accounting standards they are using: clearly, they have bought in a package from Planet Confusion. I look forward to receiving my refund of £0.24.
    Originally posted by Hengus
    SNAP! Iresa just don't seem to know when to give in do they?

Mine's almost exactly the same except that on the 'Your Accounts' page Gas shows a credit balance of £15.25 and Electricity shows a debit balance of £14.54 and amazingly this morning's bills match those figures.

If their accounts are to be believed I make that £0.71 they now owe me plus the £0.24 + VAT from their previously incorrect Calorific Value calculation on earlier supposed 'Final' bills.

If they can't do basic simple arithmetic like adding and subtracting there's absolutely no prospect of them ever being able to master the formula for correctly calculating the Calorific Value and it would appear that they also have absolutely no understanding of the concept of truncation!

I'm rich! I'm rich! I make that nearly a whole quid these incompetent jokers now owe me!

I won't rush into claiming it all back just yet in case it spoils my fun and bankrupts them before Ofgem are eventually shamed into doing their job properly and are forced to take appropriate action against them for non-compliance.

Iresa is the energy supplier that just keeps on giving. Hours and hours of endless entertainment for less than a quid has got to be good value for money!

I'm just extremely happy that I'm no longer a customer.
    • Raxiel
    • By Raxiel 10th Jul 17, 12:28 PM
    • 283 Posts
    • 113 Thanks
    Raxiel
    Checked today's bill(s) and it matches the total on the transaction tab.

Like I said in the other thread, It may be a case of a stopped clock being right twice a day, or it may be a glimmer of hope, but both the total and the 'multiplier' (and by working backwards the CV of 39.4) are correct.
    • trickytree1963
    • By trickytree1963 10th Jul 17, 12:45 PM
    • 63 Posts
    • 33 Thanks
    trickytree1963
    Think its just a terrible provider...ive canceled my direct debit as both accounts were over £80 each in credit and was told by customer service (i was customer 68 in que) that its good to build up a big credit balance as it off sets it in winter.

The direct debit is a fixed amount,so thats complete nonsense...secondly its my money so it stays in my account until needed.

Ws told if i REALLY wanted it back then they would refund me..however they advise against that.

Ive had enough and will be leaving them..cheap but terrible service.
    Originally posted by Samsung_Note2
    Unless you use EXACTLY the same fuel every month what they told you was correct. You use more fuel than you pay by DD in Winter and pay more on your DD than you use in fuel in Summer, it balances out over the whole year .
    • footyguy
    • By footyguy 10th Jul 17, 1:47 PM
    • 3,394 Posts
    • 1,333 Thanks
    footyguy
    Agree in principle with post# 239 -my leccy only account is running smoothly and accurately .
    HOWEVER, my DD is obviously set too high as my credit balance is mounting up. I've messaged at least twice re a review but nothing has happened. If it continues, I'll be ~ £120 in credit when the fixed deal ends.
    Originally posted by brewerdave
    Sorry, but only yourself to blame for finding youself in that situation.

If you are allowing for seasonal variations in your usage, then the only other explanation is that you way overestimated your anticipated annual consumption when you joined them, so you may not have got the best deal for you in the first place.

Nevertheless, you should ressess that situation now. At least with Iresa there are no earaly exit fees, so if you are not on the best tariff for you there is no penalty for switching.

Otherwise, as per your online account,
    You can reduce your monthly payment after 6 months if your account is in CREDIT.
    Still, at least you are earning 4% interest on that credit, better than you will get from any bank account!
    • footyguy
    • By footyguy 10th Jul 17, 1:49 PM
    • 3,394 Posts
    • 1,333 Thanks
    footyguy
    As per Hengus ,I received an email this morning announcing that my bill is ready - but can't get logged on again, presumably because every other customer is trying .
    Why they don't stagger bill dates (and DD dates etc) is beyond me.
    No issue for me to log on.
    • brewerdave
    • By brewerdave 10th Jul 17, 4:29 PM
    • 4,362 Posts
    • 1,774 Thanks
    brewerdave
    Sorry, but only yourself to blame for finding youself in that situation.

If you are allowing for seasonal variations in your usage, then the only other explanation is that you way overestimated your anticipated annual consumption when you joined them, so you may not have got the best deal for you in the first place.

Nevertheless, you should ressess that situation now. At least with
    Iresa there are no earaly exit fees, so if you are not on the best tariff for you there is no penalty for switching.
    Originally posted by footyguy
    Partly my fault ,in that I used a previous year's leccy usage rather than last year as I felt that last year consumption was abnormally low.
    IRESA then appear to have jacked up the monthly amount a bit as well, so that I'm paying ~£9 per month too much.
    Still the best deal even for modified usage - It'll be interesting to see if they do review at 6 months and drop the DD for the remaining time.
    I can now complete log in and download my bill
    • icharus
    • By icharus 10th Jul 17, 4:45 PM
    • 102 Posts
    • 22 Thanks
    icharus
    Same here. I received an e-mail saying my bill was ready, but the only calculation was that they have added interest to the account. Iresa still have not taken payment for either of my last and final gas and electric meter readings. I left them over a month ago!
    • footyguy
    • By footyguy 10th Jul 17, 5:29 PM
    • 3,394 Posts
    • 1,333 Thanks
    footyguy
    Partly my fault ,in that I used a previous year's leccy usage rather than last year as I felt that last year consumption was abnormally low.
    IRESA then appear to have jacked up the monthly amount a bit as well, so that I'm paying ~£9 per month too much.
    Still the best deal even for modified usage - It'll be interesting to see if they do review at 6 months and drop the DD for the remaining time.
    I can now complete log in and download my bill
    Iresa have not jacked my monthly amounts
    Not sure if that was becasue I gave them correct usage figures in the first place, or that they only appaer to have started billing for any consumption (as they only have recently appear to have had any meter readings validated - not just me but lots have posted similar about meter reading validation issues)

Anyway, if they do increase monthly payments, MSE have a very informative article to fight back
    http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/utilities/lower-energy-direct-debits
    - applies to any supplier

(Only difference is that Iresa does not allow you to go into debt at any time - but if you are in credit due in part to providing erroneously high annual consumption figures from the outset, I suspect your account was never in debt)

I don't think they will automatically revise downwards within the year - the 6 months I believe refers to a request from you. The terms do allow them to change the DD at any time (subject to appropraite advance notice), not just after 6 months (see the above link if you have any issues).
    Last edited by footyguy; 10-07-2017 at 5:37 PM.
    • GinCo
    • By GinCo 10th Jul 17, 5:30 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    GinCo
    As its for leccy only then it should be set at my expected monthly bill as my electricity consumption doesn't vary during the year,
    Ah, my mistake... I'm used to thinking of 'electricity-only' as meaning 'no gas' rather than a case of separate suppliers for each. Using gas for heating/cooking/hot water will obviously make anyone's summer/winter variation in consumption much less dramatic.

my DD initially was set at about £10 more pm than is needed.
    But to be fair to Iresa, you agreed to that fixed DD amount as being roughly 1/12th of the cost of your expected year's electricity consumption... and they're adding interest on the overpayment that's resulted.

I'm starting to wonder if they're weeding-out 'high maintenance and/or risk' customers as a matter of policy. Preventing accounts moving into debit will reduce their exposure to bad debts (your 7 week buffer of credit with them being an example?) And having others discontent with their low level of customer-service switch away seems not a million miles away from the Ryanair/budget airline model being applied to this business-sector. Or at least as close as the airport advertised as being your destination is from it.

It's already normal to get better tariffs for being a fixed DD customer and/or operating your account online. Perhaps Iresa is 'pushing the envelope' not just by making customers be continuously in credit (with high-interest being paid on credits because defaulting debtors aren't being carried by other customers to such an extent), but also cutting prices by cutting into the 'frills' of responsive person-to-person customer-service. Possibly too much, at least for some.

For me, their cheap electricity is being supplied without problems... but I know that I'm an easy customer for them to have, and I appreciate the 'heads up' warnings from some others, especially about switching away.

Presumably the 'Resolver' website is common knowledge hereabouts (I can't post a link as a new user here). If I encounter difficulties I'll use that immediately, rather than bother 'hanging on the telephone' at all.

Thanks to all.
    • footyguy
    • By footyguy 10th Jul 17, 6:11 PM
    • 3,394 Posts
    • 1,333 Thanks
    footyguy
    Presumably the 'Resolver' website is common knowledge hereabouts (I can't post a link as a new user here). If I encounter difficulties I'll use that immediately, rather than bother 'hanging on the telephone' at all.

Thanks to all.
    Originally posted by GinCo
    Yes, it's often posted about on this site,
    Indeed MSE had an official report on it too
    http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/site/resolver

However, I'm not tempted to involve a third party in an energy complaint as it seems they will only simply follow the suppliers complaint procedure on your behalf - I can see that only is a cause for further delay and possible confusion.

I would simply follow the suppliers complaint procedure myself (in the case of Iresa, you can file your complaint using your online account with them, so no need to use a phone at all )

8 weeks thereafter, if no satisfactory resolution has been made available, I would file directly with the ombudsman who, unlike resolver, do have the powers to force a supplier to act to resolve the matter (assuming you first agree to such proposed resolution)
    • GinCo
    • By GinCo 10th Jul 17, 7:31 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    GinCo
    Call me a slacker.

I'll happily complain in a person-to-person context immediately in front of me, but always prefer to escalate quickly to "I'd like to speak to your manager/supervisor" rather than be made angry/stressed by a member of the front-line staff going through the 'fobbing-off' procedure dictated to them by their lack of room for manoeuver.*

What many people here seem to be complaining about is that Iresa doesn't give them that opportunity in the first place, and they become frustrated by not having anyone to 'talk' to, above and beyond their initial problem.

I prefer not 'not go there' ...if Resolver 'merely' plugs into the OfGem procedure, I'm fine with that. I'm not expecting a bouquet of flowers or M&S voucher, or anyone personally grovelling because it's taken months to sort out an issue over an amount that I wouldn't consider taking to County Court as a 'small claim'.

* I may be more relaxed than some because I've been on the other side of the counter of complaint resolution... as an NHS nurse, in mental health. The right to formal, written appeal against/complaint about being sectioned is guaranteed by law - if I had £1 for every time I've diffused anger and distress by sitting down and taking dictation of a patient's reason for objection to their detention on to their appeal form/s (let alone letters to the Queen, PM and/or Archbishop of Canterbury on the same issue - which lack the same legal force, but usually get polite replies, on headed notepaper) I'd have a quite a few quid to offset the cap on public-sector pay being below the rate of inflation.
    • Mistermeaner
    • By Mistermeaner 14th Jul 17, 8:53 AM
    • 2,377 Posts
    • 3,004 Thanks
    Mistermeaner
    So the absoute shambles that is IRESA ocntinues

They have sent me emails today advising that all my accounts and billing issues have been resolved

unfortunately this is a lie - they have done nothing

I've now emailed them advising that I am amending my contract such that they pay me £100 for each email I send to them and then a further £100 for each day that goes by without a reply
    Left is never right but I always am.
    • poppellerant
    • By poppellerant 14th Jul 17, 11:37 AM
    • 971 Posts
    • 500 Thanks
    poppellerant
    My opening reading in March still does not show on Iresa's system. One of my regular readings, at the end of the month, does. Also my most recent reading shows. However the opening reading and the rest of the readings I have submitted are still missing.

It also seems as though Iresa are having major issues with their phones today. The IVR and queue system keeps cutting out for a few seconds every 10 seconds or so.

The vibes are not good as I speak to somebody whose first language doesn't seem to be English. That's not to mention an extremely laid back and relaxed mannerism.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

180Posts Today

1,280Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin