Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • tunnelandlight
    • By tunnelandlight 28th Apr 16, 5:57 PM
    • 73Posts
    • 269Thanks
    tunnelandlight
    Time to face up.
    • 28th Apr 16, 5:57 PM
    Time to face up. 28th Apr 16 at 5:57 PM
    Hello everyone,
    Forgive this rather lengthy outpouring..

I was ill one weekend and didn't make it out of the house, whilst bedridden I discovered this forum and have to say, I think it is amazing how thoughtful, non-judgemental and helpful so many of you are. And I listened to Dave Ramsey on YouTube!

Brief background: In my 20s I was doing OK salary- wise but after a breakup overstretched myself financially to buy my partner out and keep the house. Faced with a sale, and not especially enjoying my job, I moved to Spain to live in my holiday home for a year.. and ended up staying. A friend and I started a property business just before the financial crisis in 2008. Not a good move! I have been lucky enough to keep my own property out there (just- and by renting it) but had to return to the UK and earn money.

So: I came back to the UK with NOTHING (but some debt and my 3 elderly dogs!) in 2009 to start again. I felt a complete failure, but was very lucky in that my family really rallied round. I trained as a teacher and qualified in 2011 with the help of a student loan but my expenses were quite high (rent alone in the area I was in was 675 for a pretty grim property, I had needed a car to get to the schools where I was training and petrol costs were high). Additionally, I had to send money over to pay my mortgage in Spain to keep the house. I did the wrong thing and glossed over my financial position, kidding myself I would sort it out when I was earning. I didn't open envelopes but I was way over 20K in card debt, without the overdraft, student loan.

I got a job. Four and a half years later I am at the same school. My teaching pay has gone up quite a bit, I own a home, am in a relationship (although we are not living together) and I have been paying things off with the extra pay. I started to feel settled and to take control and got my debt onto low rate loans and 0% deals and paid things off but without a real plan of action. Having seen the determination shown in this forum, I am starting to obsess about debt free living and the freedom that would give. It's a long way off, though! Compared to many people I have been very lucky. But I hope you don't mind me tapping into this fantastic network of support.

Here are my debts - (not including student loan -173/ month comes out of my salary) or mortgage:
    Capital 1- 453.04 - this has interest about 19% but will be paid off very soon. It was 0% and then my car required 850 to be spent on it...should have just dumped the car...lesson learned.
    Overdraft - 550 (was 900 - I pay off 50/ month, it's 17.9%)
    MBNA - 570 4.9% fixed
    HSBC card (0%) 3474.55
    HSBC loan 6372.36 (about two and a half years left at 205 pcm
    Total: 11422.95
Page 5
    • tunnelandlight
    • By tunnelandlight 23rd Aug 16, 9:45 PM
    • 73 Posts
    • 269 Thanks
    tunnelandlight
    Hello again, Diary. Long time no see.

I have a confession... I haven't been very good at all. I have just had pay day and my debt has gone down by less than 4 (but savings are up to 875 so I am pleased with that small crumb of comfort). I'm now way off track for debt clearing by October next year....Hit the credit card bigtime on holiday (Hungary was AMAZING)...now back to reality with a bump. Yes, I did shred my credit card. Then I got a new one as there was a great balance transfer deal. With my spends and the balance transfer I now owe 1200, I have shredded the card again and for the final time now. I will save for holidays in future.

I am rather cross with myself, I spent too much on holiday clothes and meals out. Now I'll do the only thing I can do: Get back on track! I'll come up with my September goals soon - and make sure I stick to them.

I'll be popping into school tomorrow to meet a friend, then we're off for lunch. It'll be a cheap one. And the rest of this summer will be at home getting ready for next term - apart from the festival I am going to at the end of the month..That's a last shout for the summer and I'm definitely not going to deny myself that!

Sorry, Diary. There will be better news next month.

Xx
    Last edited by tunnelandlight; 30-08-2016 at 3:46 PM.
    GOAL - debt free (except mortgage) by October 2017.
    April 2016: 11,422.95/ 9432.66 September 2016
    Emergency fund: 1212.01 September
    • tunnelandlight
    • By tunnelandlight 29th Aug 16, 1:13 PM
    • 73 Posts
    • 269 Thanks
    tunnelandlight
    Hello Diary,

I have been getting on with the recovery plan!I should be getting on with preparing for back to school but getting back on track is crucial for me right now.

The debts is now as follows:

OD - 150
    Bcard 1200
    H$SC 3094.55
    Loan 5550

The overdraft started at 900 and is the priority as it is 17.9%, I only dip into it towards the last week or so of the month but it is an easy win.
    With the Bcard I am on a 0% deal for 24 months (there was 0.68% transfer fee). I have shredded the actual card and this total incorporates my MBN@ balance, I set it up to be repaid at 50 a month, so repaid within the 0% period, although when more costly debts are paid off I will get this settled early.
    The H$BC is on 0% from November/ this January last year for 20 months. I have been paying 100/ month which is slightly over the minimum payment, it will be where I focus after the OD.

The loan payment is 205, the interest was frontloaded but I am hoping to get some of it back as I will be repaying it a year early on the plan (the bank says I can!).

So, the total is just under 10,000 and the debt snowball is indicating I can still pay it off by the end of next year. The sooner the better, of course. This is without taking into account that my student loan (taken out of later in life teacher training will be gone by next year, this will mean an extra 174 in my pay packet each month) and I am due to get a raise in September, although the exact percentage will not be confirmed until I'm back at school.

Just about to take a look at the budget until I get paid.
    Last edited by tunnelandlight; 29-08-2016 at 1:54 PM.
    • tunnelandlight
    • By tunnelandlight 29th Aug 16, 1:41 PM
    • 73 Posts
    • 269 Thanks
    tunnelandlight
    So. The budget for the rest of the month.

I'll get paid again on 20/9. Until then I have about 300 in my current account after all DDs are taken into account and about 50 in cash. The final festival of the summer is a fairly local one that starts Friday night and ends Sunday lunchtime. The tickets are free thanks to BF and I don't even have to take pics as there will be a proper photographer being sent by the website for which BF reviews. I'll take 50-60 for spends and no card so that'll have to do!! I will also have to save a little of that for a weekend at BF's parents' house. They moved to the Liverpool area at the end of last year and we're visiting the weekend before payday. Not great timing!

Summer has been wonderful, but expensive. It's put me off track, but if I had thought about it, I'd have seen that was inevitable. September will be expensive as I have both parents' Birthdays. October - November will be OK. Christmas will be expensive so I will accept now that although I will not save any money in December, I will not resort to cards and will just use my above minimum debt repayment money to cover it.

Sorry to blather on, diary. I have sorted my head now and will get back to work with a plan in place. Woo hoo!

Xx
    Last edited by tunnelandlight; 29-08-2016 at 1:56 PM.
    • tunnelandlight
    • By tunnelandlight 29th Aug 16, 1:49 PM
    • 73 Posts
    • 269 Thanks
    tunnelandlight
    And finally...

In Hungary at the festival, BF and I got chatting to a very interesting lady. She is a teacher, has lived in Budapest for a couple of years and was about to move on to a senior role at a school in Africa. She gave us contacts and BF and are looking into teaching abroad. The salary is lower than I currently earn, but with no tax to pay, no accommodation or utility charges (or council tax) 80-90% of the 2200 to 3500 a month you'd earn can be saved, even allowing for a decent quality of life.

We're going to investigate further, but the way I am dreading going back to work is making me feel it's time for a big change. Thinking I could come out of a 2 year contract like that debt free and with quite a lot of money in the bank is a beautiful thought right now!

Xx
    • tunnelandlight
    • By tunnelandlight 1st Sep 16, 1:05 PM
    • 73 Posts
    • 269 Thanks
    tunnelandlight
    Hi dairy,

At BF's house in readiness for a festival in the midlands that we'll aim for tomorrow. Feeling somewhat grumpy both at the thought of going back to work and also with BF. He insists I come over early as he pretty much expects me to clean his house. And I'm the mug that will do it because it is in such a state. Currently the drive is full of weeds, dirty clothes are dumped on the floor, the dining table is piled with paperwork dating back months, there are pizza boxes everywhere, piles of ironing, plates, the bedding that he expects me to sleep on has not been changed since I last changed it - in July. And as for the bathroom. Utterly YUK. I will do an hour. That's it. I have lots of my own stuff to prepare for the big return on Monday. He would never have his house in this state if his parents were due to come over and when he comes to mine, the covers are changed, the bathroom and kitchen are freshly cleaned, any shirts etc he has left are washed and ironed and there is food/ wine in the fridge and a meal cooked/ takeaway ordered. Whereas after I arrived at 9 p.m. yesterday to find him out, I saw a missed text giving me the name of the pub he was at and after finding it, having a soft drink, I gave him and his friends a lift home (other side of the city) and spent 13 in Tesc* on a bottle of wine and the post beer snacks he put into the basket. He also hardly spoke as it was the football transfer window and this left him glued to his phone. All this after he insisted I came over early so "we'll have more time together". Agghhhh.

Also grumpy because the Halifax haven't paid me my reward and looking online it is because a DD was taken before a SO was credited. There were just 17 minutes between the two events but it's cost me a fiver. Grrrr!

Sorry, will cheer up soon. Will go out now to buy bleach.
    • milasavesmoney
    • By milasavesmoney 1st Sep 16, 5:04 PM
    • 1,433 Posts
    • 10,950 Thanks
    milasavesmoney
    Perhaps you should bring his mother with you if she's handy. :
    Sept $424.41/$500 ~~ 3/6 EF #46 $11,273/$15,000 ~~ Xmas/Bday 2016 $3002/$6500 ~~ WL 2016 ~15 lb
    • tunnelandlight
    • By tunnelandlight 4th Sep 16, 9:38 PM
    • 73 Posts
    • 269 Thanks
    tunnelandlight
    Perhaps you should bring his mother with you if she's handy. :
    Originally posted by milasavesmoney
    Not a bad idea. He is terrified of her!!!

I got my fiver after all - hip hip!!- and BF won 100 on the horses so treated me to a slap-up dinner out and was grateful for my cleaning efforts. Festival was fab. So I cheered up.

School tomorrow. But staff training, so an easy start.

How is it September already???

Xx
    • Purplemumof2
    • By Purplemumof2 10th Sep 16, 9:17 PM
    • 3,557 Posts
    • 10,540 Thanks
    Purplemumof2
    Hi tunnelandlight.

Keep going, you're doing great.

Pmo2
    X
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no. 791 - Proud to be dealing with my debts
    BC: 9250.00 Overdraft: 2750.00

15-20 NSD - 5/20, 10 LSD - 3/10, 15 AFD - 1/15, Lunches to work 9/20

20p Savers 2016 2 Savers 2016 50p Savers 2016 SPC 9 2016 #003
    • tunnelandlight
    • By tunnelandlight 11th Sep 16, 3:01 PM
    • 73 Posts
    • 269 Thanks
    tunnelandlight
    Hi tunnelandlight.

Keep going, you're doing great.

Pmo2
    X
    Originally posted by Purplemumof2

Thank you so much for the words of encouragement. Very much appreciated, if perhaps not deserved! I have been catching up on diary reading for inspiration over the past couple of days and actually feel a little ashamed. I don't have children to worry about (apart from the ones I teach!) and have a regular wage coming in which should really be enough to live comfortably, BF gets us a LOT of free entertainment and I see others feeding families on less than I spend for just me, clearing and eb@ying tons, batch cooking and baking and taking on extra work to pay things off yet still finding time to encourage other on their on money saving journeys...some people are doing all this whilst battling serious heath issues, too.. Really glad to have this site for inspiration!

Xx
    • tunnelandlight
    • By tunnelandlight 11th Sep 16, 11:14 PM
    • 73 Posts
    • 269 Thanks
    tunnelandlight
    Had a wonderful weekend. I'm feeling somewhat guilty for not working at all but I'll get over it...

I went over to BF's place and we went out just to watch the football, then for dinner and drinks, but not too many - no hangover this morning, just a pleasant evening of chatting and discussing our relationship. BF thinks he has a novel in him (!!) and he may be right, he has had a lot of his work published and has a successful blog. His idea is that he'll get his redundancy (if offered) about June next year - the office where he works is closing but it may be that he is offered working from home/ another office, he's hoping not, but there is no guarantee. If I can secure a teaching post abroad with accommodation he'd live with me and work on his book, he'd have his redundancy (possibly) and a rental income from his house. He is working hard to pay down his own debts, but he does love to go out, so I'm not convinced he'll make much progress, although he's even done a spreadsheet so perhaps there's hope. He pointed out that lots of conservative countries would not want an unmarried couple so "We'll have to get married". Oh, the romance! I was too shocked to comment but he didn't even wait for an answer and apparently has already told his son that's what we'll do. Wow! Talk about a curve ball.

Left his house quite early this morning and have had a lovely day sorting the house, enjoying the weather, reading diaries here and even managed a bike ride which was a great way to get some fresh air. I miss my little Isobel (my cocker spaniel) very much. She died last year aged about 17 (I don't know exactly as she came into my life by appearing in my garden in rather a state when I lived in Spain, she was about 7 then) right to her last days she loved a walk/ run and I miss the exercise as well as her company.

Hope everyone had a good weekend, enjoy another week of battling those debts.

Xx
    Last edited by tunnelandlight; 11-09-2016 at 11:20 PM.
    • Purplemumof2
    • By Purplemumof2 12th Sep 16, 5:31 AM
    • 3,557 Posts
    • 10,540 Thanks
    Purplemumof2
    Morning,

A novel? How exciting! What sort of stuff has he had published?

I think it's lovely, how he's thinking about the future, a lovely MSE wedding to go with the two MSE babies

Hugs to you xxx

Sounds like you've had a rather interesting weekend

• Bobarella
    • By Bobarella 12th Sep 16, 6:22 PM
    • 7,067 Posts
    • 46,201 Thanks
    Bobarella
    Sorry to hear you are missing your lovely dog. Have you decided if you would say yes to OH yet?
    1050 to pay =61% repaid
    RR 2016 #2 September 3.16 2016-36.36 2015- 84.20)
    Wombling Free 2016#5 1020.81 2015 1027.20
    NST September 3 3/16
    PAYDBX #7 1640.46/2,700 (61%)
    GC Sept 188/300
    • tunnelandlight
    • By tunnelandlight 12th Sep 16, 9:31 PM
    • 73 Posts
    • 269 Thanks
    tunnelandlight
    Morning,

A novel? How exciting! What sort of stuff has he had published?

I think it's lovely, how he's thinking about the future, a lovely MSE wedding to go with the two MSE babies

Hugs to you xxx

Sounds like you've had a rather interesting weekend
    Originally posted by Purplemumof2

Thank you...What a lovely comment! He blogs on "up and coming" bands, he doesn't work in that industry (although he manages a couple of bands) but regularly reviews new releases, festivals and gigs, he's also conducted and written up interviews of some quite famous acts, he even introduced Coldplay once! He's done that for the last 3 years and has been published online on several big UK music sites and in the regional press here and he also gets paid by some US websites to review music which is quite a profitable side-line. He is invited to all sorts of music industry events, frequently in London, and I get to be the plus one! He is quite well-known in that scene so would like to write about this musical world and his research would involve lots of international travel apparently, he's been invited to review several stateside festivals and events in LA, getting there wouldn't be free though! He has had talks with a publisher and shown them the sort of stuff he writes and how he'd like to adapt it for fiction. They've expressed interest, so that's promising - on the other hand it is a pretty tough world to crack but if he gets his redundancy and wants to have a go for a year then why not? He does work from home quite often and, unlike me, is really good at getting to his desk and just getting on with it.

That was quite a long answer! Sorry about that, I'm hopeless at being concise... bet you wish you hadn't asked!

Xx
    • tunnelandlight
    • By tunnelandlight 12th Sep 16, 9:50 PM
    • 73 Posts
    • 269 Thanks
    tunnelandlight
    Sorry to hear you are missing your lovely dog. Have you decided if you would say yes to OH yet?
    Originally posted by Bobarella

Thank you. I have to say I was expecting we'd live together quite soon. But marriage is something else! It's quite scary, but also exciting. We do argue and he makes me so frustrated at times but he is also excellent company, challenges me to do new things and is open to trying new things himself, he makes me laugh and I absolutely could not imagine him not being in my life. So yes, I think I would marry him!
    • Purplemumof2
    • By Purplemumof2 12th Sep 16, 10:29 PM
    • 3,557 Posts
    • 10,540 Thanks
    Purplemumof2
    So yes, I think I would marry him!
    Originally posted by tunnelandlight

• Purplemumof2
    • By Purplemumof2 12th Sep 16, 10:31 PM
    • 3,557 Posts
    • 10,540 Thanks
    Purplemumof2
    Thank you...What a lovely comment! He blogs on "up and coming" bands, he doesn't work in that industry (although he manages a couple of bands) but regularly reviews new releases, festivals and gigs, he's also conducted and written up interviews of some quite famous acts, he even introduced Coldplay once! He's done that for the last 3 years and has been published online on several big UK music sites and in the regional press here and he also gets paid by some US websites to review music which is quite a profitable side-line. He is invited to all sorts of music industry events, frequently in London, and I get to be the plus one! He is quite well-known in that scene so would like to write about this musical world and his research would involve lots of international travel apparently, he's been invited to review several stateside festivals and events in LA, getting there wouldn't be free though! He has had talks with a publisher and shown them the sort of stuff he writes and how he'd like to adapt it for fiction. They've expressed interest, so that's promising - on the other hand it is a pretty tough world to crack but if he gets his redundancy and wants to have a go for a year then why not? He does work from home quite often and, unlike me, is really good at getting to his desk and just getting on with it.

That was quite a long answer! Sorry about that, I'm hopeless at being concise... bet you wish you hadn't asked!

Xx
    Originally posted by tunnelandlight
    Not at all, I have a love of music so probably have read something he's done without realising it.

I'm a bit like you too, I can't get on with it either if I work from home, I admire anyone that has the discipline!

• tunnelandlight
    • By tunnelandlight 20th Sep 16, 8:54 PM
    • 73 Posts
    • 269 Thanks
    tunnelandlight
    Thanks PM. Yes, I am a terrible procrastinator, there are certain 10 minute jobs that I can make last days.. Not good!

It's pay day, finally! I have updated my signature and I see progress... I wanted a 1000 emergency fund, and now have savings above that sum, and they actually make more interest than I am paying on my debt. I have a regular savings account that matures in February and is paying 6% so I will increase my payments into that, and in February take out the emergency money and split the rest between the debt and the mortgage (also debt, but more necessary debt) as I want to try to get the LTV under 75% for a better deal when I re-mortgage.

I NO LONGER HAVE AN OVERDRAFT - IT'S CANCELLED!!! My, does that feel good!

The next task is my H$BC card on 0% until July next year - its currently 2888.12. I think I will make better progress with this, the OD took a while as it could only be reduced in 50 chunks whereas I can chip away at the card with a lot less.

I've decided to keep the debt free goal as October 2017. I have 13 months and a lot of work but I'm feeling optimistic I can do it. I'm going to give it my best.

XX
    • milasavesmoney
    • By milasavesmoney 23rd Sep 16, 12:03 AM
    • 1,433 Posts
    • 10,950 Thanks
    milasavesmoney
    Canceled overdraft! Excellent achievement!!! Congrats!!!!!!
    Sept $424.41/$500 ~~ 3/6 EF #46 $11,273/$15,000 ~~ Xmas/Bday 2016 $3002/$6500 ~~ WL 2016 ~15 lb
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,432Posts Today

6,868Users online

Martin's Twitter