Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Wulfrune
    • By Wulfrune 28th Apr 16, 8:32 AM
    • 78Posts
    • 15Thanks
    Wulfrune
    A question of loans
    • 28th Apr 16, 8:32 AM
    A question of loans 28th Apr 16 at 8:32 AM
    Hi, I'm hoping someone might be able to advise me.

I live in an ex council maisonette to which I'm the lease holder. The council enforced work on the property to bring it up to the energy standards for the 21st century and they're now presented me with a bill for £15000 to which I must pay.

Needless to say, I do not have £15000 lying around, so I need a loan. I have a well paid job (50k +) and I have a mortgage on my property. I have a good credit record with no CCJ's or arrears. What I would like to know, given that when you do a search for finance, you're only given a representative APR and that could be considerably higher than what they state, can I shop around or will this flag me up on my credit score?

It's a mine field out there, I need to get this loan to pay off this debt, but I don't want to walk into the first loan that hikes up the APR.

Any advice that anyone could give would be gratefully received.

Many thanks in advance.

Wulfrune
Page 2
    • Wulfrune
    • By Wulfrune 28th Apr 16, 6:19 PM
    • 78 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    Wulfrune
    You might, others of us might not.
    Originally posted by redpete
    If you feel you can add something, feel free, it's a free forum. All I was trying to do was tell people that there's no need to assist me in the matter any further. Of course, if you wish to continue the topic, you're more than free to do so. But, I don't think that was your point.

Anyway

Fill your boots.
    • Jd2015
    • By Jd2015 28th Apr 16, 11:29 PM
    • 60 Posts
    • 1,259 Thanks
    Jd2015
    You can do some "soft searches" that might give you an idea of acceptance. Nationwide offer a quote function that will give you a more accurate apr that they are willing to lend at.

There's a search function on this site too https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/eligibility/loans-calculator/

Think you can do a softer search though confused.com and Barclays I think offer one too. Some of the credit scoring companies also offer "matched lending" function.

These soft searches don't affect credit score and might give you idea who is more or more likely to lend to you before going through a full application.

Good luck and hope you get something sorted.
    • Actor31
    • By Actor31 18th Mar 17, 1:27 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Actor31
    I got a big bill of council
    I am a lease holder living in a block of flats and i have received a bill of £15.500 for works carried out to the outside they replaced all the balconies and re panelled all the block and other stuff all exterior work i was informed that me sinking fund in my service charge would pay for it but i have just been informed after the work which was completed 12 month ago that i have nothing in my sinking fund and that my service charge was set to low.
    i am on a minimum wage job and in arrears with my service charge,the council has informed me i have options and they are, deferred payment loan over 5 years, or equity share plan where they take 15.500 share in my flat. If i would have known that i had insufficient funds in my sinking fund i would have said no to the work. which i could not do because i had no say in the outside work carried out
    • Gaz83
    • By Gaz83 18th Mar 17, 2:26 PM
    • 3,515 Posts
    • 6,689 Thanks
    Gaz83
    I am a lease holder living in a block of flats and i have received a bill of £15.500 for works carried out to the outside they replaced all the balconies and re panelled all the block and other stuff all exterior work i was informed that me sinking fund in my service charge would pay for it but i have just been informed after the work which was completed 12 month ago that i have nothing in my sinking fund and that my service charge was set to low.
    i am on a minimum wage job and in arrears with my service charge,the council has informed me i have options and they are, deferred payment loan over 5 years, or equity share plan where they take 15.500 share in my flat. If i would have known that i had insufficient funds in my sinking fund i would have said no to the work. which i could not do because i had no say in the outside work carried out
    Originally posted by Actor31
    Do you have a question?
    "Facism arrives as your friend. It will restore your honour, make you feel proud, protect your house, give you a job, clean up the neighbourhood, remind you of how great you once were, clear out the venal and the corrupt, remove anything you feel is unlike you... [it] doesn't walk in saying, "our programme means militias, mass imprisonments, transportations, war and persecution."
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,719Posts Today

7,401Users online

Martin's Twitter