Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Merlin139
    • By Merlin139 26th Apr 16, 8:03 PM
    • 4,134Posts
    • 17,261Thanks
    Merlin139
    PV+ Grid Voltage Monitor
    • 26th Apr 16, 8:03 PM
    PV+ Grid Voltage Monitor 26th Apr 16 at 8:03 PM
    Today I received a call from my Solar panel installers asking if I was intrested in getting a quote for one of the new Solar PV Batteries and also something called PV+. They claim it can increase PV energy production by upto 20% by cutting out voltage outages!

http://matt-e.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/PV-v1-Installation-Manual-v6.pdf

The link shows a PDF which explains what it does. Anybody know anything about them and if so do you think it makes any sense?

I have someone coming to see me tomorrow morning.
Page 2
    • Martyn1981
    • By Martyn1981 30th Mar 17, 9:13 AM
    • 5,508 Posts
    • 9,471 Thanks
    Martyn1981
    Found a discussion on the electricians forum, and they are not impressed.

The only benefit being if your property regularly goes over the permitted UK voltage range of 253V, as the inverter will shutdown to meet UK regs, and to prevent it pushing the local voltage even higher.

If a property does regularly go over 253V, then the DNO has to fix this problem, even if there are SSEG's (small scale electricity generators) such as PV on the line.

In 6 yrs I'm only aware of my WNW system shutting down once, for about 10 mins due to grid voltage. I know this because my ESE inverters are older and prior to the reg change, and one of those displayed grid voltage at 253V, rather than the usual (around here) 238V-244V. This shutdown happened on a sunny Sunday afternoon, exactly when it's most likely due to low demand pushing up grid voltage.

Worth reading the comments on the electricians forum, several suggest that installing such a device between the inverter and the grid, may breach the regs that the inverter has to meet. Also, worth reading as I laughed so hard at this response to one comment:

"It is very big in Germany, apparently!"

"Something else was big in Germany in the 30's and 40's
    That didn't end well."
    Just 'call me Mart'. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (2.4 ESE & 1.18 ESE & 2.0 WNW)

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
    • Daniel0807
    • By Daniel0807 30th Mar 17, 10:24 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Daniel0807
    Thanks guys, cancelled order
    I have cancelled the order over phone and by tracked delivery letter. The guy assured me to refund my money to the credit card.
    Meanwhile I managed to register our inverter with Fronius. They gave me 10.5 years warranty. That and the low prices for replacement should get us covered.
    • theboylard
    • By theboylard 30th Mar 17, 2:32 PM
    • 1,088 Posts
    • 2,686 Thanks
    theboylard
    Save your money towards a battery system, or an ashp setup like Zed and savvybuyer?

I'd flag it with your credit card company as well, let them know what you have done and that there may be a chargeback request coming if shyster & co don't return your money!

Can't believe there are still companies like this trying it on?!
    4kWp, SSE, 16 x 250w EcoFuture BoB with retro-fitted SolarEdge P300 optimisers & SE3500 Inverter, in occasionally sunny Corby, Northants.
    • Martyn1981
    • By Martyn1981 30th Mar 17, 4:19 PM
    • 5,508 Posts
    • 9,471 Thanks
    Martyn1981
    or an ashp setup like Zed and savvybuyer?
    Originally posted by theboylard
    Psst! Watch this space, 2 more sleeps to go.
    Just 'call me Mart'. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (2.4 ESE & 1.18 ESE & 2.0 WNW)

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
    • zeupater
    • By zeupater 30th Mar 17, 4:39 PM
    • 3,577 Posts
    • 4,407 Thanks
    zeupater
    Psst! Watch this space, 2 more sleeps to go.
    Originally posted by Martyn1981
    ... Go on, spill the beans ... you know you want to ...

Z
    "We are what we repeatedly do, excellence then is not an act, but a habit. " ...... Aristotle
    • zeupater
    • By zeupater 30th Mar 17, 4:45 PM
    • 3,577 Posts
    • 4,407 Thanks
    zeupater
    ... several suggest that installing such a device between the inverter and the grid, may breach the regs that the inverter has to meet ...
    Originally posted by Martyn1981
    Hi

Agree ... as posted on this thread last year ...
    Hi

Just a thought .... further to the above, by externally overriding the G83 compliance of the inverter, I wonder whether being able to continue to export at higher voltages than the standard allows would be considered as invalidating the entire installation in the eyes of the DNO resulting in the potential for a pretty unwelcome letter dropping through the letterbox ? ....

HTH
    Z
    Originally posted by zeupater
    Z
    "We are what we repeatedly do, excellence then is not an act, but a habit. " ...... Aristotle
    • Martyn1981
    • By Martyn1981 30th Mar 17, 5:03 PM
    • 5,508 Posts
    • 9,471 Thanks
    Martyn1981
    ... Go on, spill the beans ... you know you want to ...

Z
    Originally posted by zeupater
    I do, I do, I do!

But I'll wait till Saturday afternoon, just in case, then update the main thread.

• POLLY1133
    • By POLLY1133 18th Jun 17, 7:08 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    POLLY1133
    Pv+
    I was persuaded to purchase a PV+ to my system last May on the promise that it would achieve £100 additional FIT payment based on income at that time of around £500.

Since installation I have checked year on year and discovered I made £38 LESS FIT income since May 2016.

I am in discussion with the installers as I feel the PV+ is not fit for purpose and that I was mis-sold.

I am being told that of course my electricity bill will have reduced because of the installation of the PV+.........something impossible to analyse as home circumstances changed over that period. My son left home reducing the amount of electric showers taken and we now have a shower that is fed by our gas boiler in addition to the electric - we use this early morning/evening.

Any views appreciated, my thoughts are if we are generating more electricity to use then we should have generated more FIT? Sorry, I am not very knowledgeable but at a loss as to where to get professional advice. Thank you!!
    • Martyn1981
    • By Martyn1981 18th Jun 17, 7:27 AM
    • 5,508 Posts
    • 9,471 Thanks
    Martyn1981
    Hiya Polly, if the system is supposed to increase generation, then of course you are right, it would generate more FiT, or to be more clear, more generation per annum clocking up on your PV meter, the TGM (total generation meter).

As the last 12 months have not been a great PV period compared to others, then if the PV+ has achieved nothing, then I'd expect you to see a drop of perhaps 0 to 5% on generation from the 12 months before that, reflecting the comparatively poor weather.

Their argument that your import bill will have reduced is somewhat lame, as you first need to generate more PV leccy, before you can use that to reduce your import leccy.

• POLLY1133
    • By POLLY1133 18th Jun 17, 12:02 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    POLLY1133
    Thanks ever so much, confirms my thoughts!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

330Posts Today

2,737Users online

Martin's Twitter