Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • oggy1975
    • By oggy1975 23rd Apr 16, 3:57 PM
    • 4Posts
    • 0Thanks
    oggy1975
    Decking Cleaning and Painting
    • 23rd Apr 16, 3:57 PM
    Decking Cleaning and Painting 23rd Apr 16 at 3:57 PM
    Hi

We moved into a House last year which had some tired and weathered decking in the garden . So we commenced in using Ronseal decking cleaner and then used Ronseal Decking rescue paint BAD MISTAKE . This year the decking looks awful all flaky and peeling I have emailed to Ronseal to complain as we have to re-clean all the decking again and redo either stain or oil .
    I have a few questions as our money is tight this year.

We have a power washer with a patio/deck attachment will this suffice to getting all the old paint off ?
    If not apart from decking cleaner is there any home made stuff I could use ie Stardrops or bleach ?
    Also which is the cheapest paint or oil to use on our decking ?
    Could we use fence paint would this suffice ?

Thankyou so much in advance for answering my questions

Kind Regards

Eve Ogden
Page 1
    • patman99
    • By patman99 23rd Apr 16, 8:35 PM
    • 8,163 Posts
    • 9,620 Thanks
    patman99
    • 23rd Apr 16, 8:35 PM
    • 23rd Apr 16, 8:35 PM
    Do NOT use a power washer to clean decking. That will open up the grain and caues the issues you now have.

Best way to clean decking is with a stiff broom and a bucket of hot water and washing soda.

Leave to dry, then apply 2 generous coats of wood stain.
    Never Knowingly Understood.

Member #1 of £1,000 challenge - £1000/ £1000 (that's 100%)

3-6 month EF £240.61/£3600 (that's 4 days worth)

Do you/your spouse earn less than £197 p/w ?. Fill-in Form R85 and get your Bank interest Tax free.
    • Mr.Generous
    • By Mr.Generous 23rd Apr 16, 9:03 PM
    • 1,735 Posts
    • 2,617 Thanks
    Mr.Generous
    • 23rd Apr 16, 9:03 PM
    • 23rd Apr 16, 9:03 PM
    Use a solvent based deck oil - look for the HIGH VOC chemical symbol. The water based stuff is a surface coating that wears off and looks awful after less than 12 months. The solvent stuff is a penetrating preserver that gets into the wood and does the job.
    When I worked for a large retailer we did an outdoor display of decking and the rep from a well known company offered to paint various sections with his companies products to show the finished results. After about three months we had to remove them, some of the water based stuff looked years old, the only really good results were from a decking oil that was solvent based. Some of the products called Deck Oil are actually water based so be careful.
    If the brushes can be washed out in water it is not solvent based.
    • walwyn1978
    • By walwyn1978 23rd Apr 16, 9:12 PM
    • 405 Posts
    • 361 Thanks
    walwyn1978
    • 23rd Apr 16, 9:12 PM
    • 23rd Apr 16, 9:12 PM
    Good advice Mr Generous - also used the Ronseal Decking paint, also had the same issue with flaking, couldn't decide what to do. Off to purchase solvent based deck oil tomorrow now. Cheers!
    • oggy1975
    • By oggy1975 23rd Apr 16, 9:59 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    oggy1975
    • 23rd Apr 16, 9:59 PM
    • 23rd Apr 16, 9:59 PM
    Thanks guys

I have a fish pond nearby so dont want to contaminate fish . If i use a stiff brush and soda crystals and let it dry out and then patch up the bare bits will this work ? or do i need to strip all back and restart ? very much help needed please .

Kind regards

Eve
    • Oggy1511
    • By Oggy1511 24th Apr 16, 1:22 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Oggy1511
    • 24th Apr 16, 1:22 PM
    • 24th Apr 16, 1:22 PM
    Any more advice please guys
    • Oggy1511
    • By Oggy1511 27th Apr 16, 4:41 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Oggy1511
    • 27th Apr 16, 4:41 PM
    • 27th Apr 16, 4:41 PM
    Hi guys

Currently in dispute to ronseal about the paint on the decking so not going to touch it at the moment. If no joy with ronseal going to power wash it all down and see where we go from there .

Thanks everyone

Eve
    • kraftykat
    • By kraftykat 28th Apr 16, 4:59 PM
    • 405 Posts
    • 2,853 Thanks
    kraftykat
    • 28th Apr 16, 4:59 PM
    • 28th Apr 16, 4:59 PM
    We used Liberon decking oil and it's been really good, you can see the rain water beading on the handrails yet the actual deck itself isn't slippery.
    • Oggy1511
    • By Oggy1511 30th Apr 16, 11:05 AM
    • 14 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Oggy1511
    • 30th Apr 16, 11:05 AM
    • 30th Apr 16, 11:05 AM
    Thanks looking like Ronseal are sending us decking cleaner and decking paint to strip it all off and redo result
    Thanks
    • Oggy1511
    • By Oggy1511 7th May 16, 10:28 AM
    • 14 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Oggy1511
    Hi everyone result with ronseal they sent me yesterday ten litres of deck cleaner and reviver then ten litres of decking rescue paint to redo all my decking yippeeeee
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 8th May 16, 8:15 AM
    • 11,893 Posts
    • 8,071 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    Hi everyone result with ronseal they sent me yesterday ten litres of deck cleaner and reviver then ten litres of decking rescue paint to redo all my decking yippeeeee
    Originally posted by Oggy1511
    Surely you will be in the same position next year or did I misunderstand your OP?
    • GT60
    • By GT60 8th May 16, 8:27 AM
    • 1,846 Posts
    • 953 Thanks
    GT60
    Sorry to hijack the post but with regards to decking what can I put on it so I don't slip
    I do now have some mobility issues and not.very good on my feet

Thank you
    Spending my time reading how to fix PC's,instead of looking at Facebook.
    • redmalc
    • By redmalc 8th May 16, 12:15 PM
    • 1,267 Posts
    • 477 Thanks
    redmalc
    Did my decking yesterday with Ronseal natural oil,it looked absolutely great ,then we had the storm of all storms and it's made a right mess.
    • Sofitos
    • By Sofitos 8th May 16, 4:42 PM
    • 53 Posts
    • 17 Thanks
    Sofitos
    My decking was in really poor condition, but not painted before. I have cleaned it by broom, treat anti moss and wood wrom killer and the apply with Tikkurila wood oil - Valtti Puuoljy. But timber shoudl dried(steady sunny weather) no less then week before applying and then deck should be dry min 3 day(no rain no cleaning). After that i have got perfect waterproof effect - water gathers into the droplets on the surface. I did it autumn and now decking is in perfect condition. Originally, tikkurila wood oil is transparent, but it could be tinted in any color. Yes, tikkurila is not cheap, but it worth every penny!
    • Justagardener
    • By Justagardener 11th Feb 18, 10:34 PM
    • 99 Posts
    • 84 Thanks
    Justagardener
    I have a fish pond nearby so dont want to contaminate fish
    Powerful pressure washers are usually a no no on wooden decks, as said before it lifts the grain but when it comes to removing flaky paint i would use one but only on a fan setting. I use sodium percarbonate to clean decks. it lifts algae straight off with the added help of a deck brush! the most important part is that it's eco friendly so it wont hurt your plants or grass around your deck. and if you have pond nearby, there is no problem as its a natural algae killer in ponds and the fish actually like the oxygen it produces. In fact it's used as an algae killer in fish farms.
    Wooden decks need to breath and the sun and rain make the wood constantly move so it's difficult for any paint to stay intact. Leave them natural if you can, Cleaning decks regularly, helps them to dry out, they will then last a very long time.
    https://effectivemosskillers.com/how-to-remove-green-algae-from-decks-with-sodium-percarbonate/
    Last edited by Justagardener; Today at 6:08 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,025Posts Today

9,829Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @mmhpi: A huge thank you to everyone who has signed our #RecoverySpace campaign letter so far - we have reached over 1,000 names! If you?

• RT @fikee: Told a ridiculously cool young lad behind me in the supermarket that I loved his boots. He looked at me and in that split secon?

• Happy Birthday Jordon. 21 today. Wish you as good a day as you can, and hope you are out of hospital and on the m? https://t.co/G0V9q9agzT

• Follow Martin