Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • inkiboo
    • By inkiboo 19th Apr 16, 9:57 PM
    • 63Posts
    • 26Thanks
    inkiboo
    Feel at home with Three is TERRIBLE
    • 19th Apr 16, 9:57 PM
    Feel at home with Three is TERRIBLE 19th Apr 16 at 9:57 PM
    A warning to stay clear to Three.

Just come back from a holiday in the States with friends. They were on EE, I'm on Three.

It's very, very clear that Three are throttling the data speeds when abroad. Doing the same speed test on the same site and on the same mobile network showed 0.09 mbit/sec on my Three phone and over 4 on the EE one.

As soon as my contract is up I am off. Tempted to complain to Ofcom as well because the major reason I signed up was to use data abroad and with those speeds it's simply not possible.
    Smile and be happy, things can usually get worse!
Page 4
    • drbob
    • By drbob 15th Jun 17, 5:40 PM
    • 62 Posts
    • 28 Thanks
    drbob
    That's good to hear. I was in France last month and wound up buying a local "free.fr" sim to use in my spare phone because the "feel at home" service was so useless.

What's interesting is I also spent some time in Belgium and Germany. Roaming on the free.fr SIM was full speed with no issues, on the exact same networks roaming with three remained unusable.

If free, a much smaller outfit than multi national Hutchinson (who own 3), can pull off decent roaming included in a €20 monthly package I think it's safe to say the pitiful performance of three feel at home roaming was solely due to corporate greed.
    • Exemplar
    • By Exemplar 17th Jun 17, 2:39 PM
    • 1,091 Posts
    • 419 Thanks
    Exemplar
    Another personal experience here, but one that is very interesting!!

I am on 3 and was in France last week (got back last night).

On Wednesday the internet speed on my phone was <1MB on Orange Fr
    On Thursday it was >12MB on Orange Fr

All tests carried out at same time/same place using same equipment.

Coincidence with the EU roaming?
    'Just because its on the internet don't believe it 100%'. Abraham Lincoln.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

259Posts Today

1,072Users online

Martin's Twitter