Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • inkiboo
    • By inkiboo 19th Apr 16, 9:57 PM
    • 63Posts
    • 26Thanks
    inkiboo
    Feel at home with Three is TERRIBLE
    • 19th Apr 16, 9:57 PM
    Feel at home with Three is TERRIBLE 19th Apr 16 at 9:57 PM
    A warning to stay clear to Three.

Just come back from a holiday in the States with friends. They were on EE, I'm on Three.

It's very, very clear that Three are throttling the data speeds when abroad. Doing the same speed test on the same site and on the same mobile network showed 0.09 mbit/sec on my Three phone and over 4 on the EE one.

As soon as my contract is up I am off. Tempted to complain to Ofcom as well because the major reason I signed up was to use data abroad and with those speeds it's simply not possible.
    Smile and be happy, things can usually get worse!
Page 3
    • NiftyDigits
    • By NiftyDigits 3rd May 16, 2:59 PM
    • 10,287 Posts
    • 4,380 Thanks
    NiftyDigits
    Once again I fed the troll. I knew it was a mistake to remove you from ignore, one I will not be making again.

Roll on June when I can leave this embarrassment for a network.
    Originally posted by inkiboo
    There is only one embarrassment occurring here....and that is your desperation in trying to discourage people from the 3 network. You claim that you needed to be able to be called at any time by your poorly father. With 3 you could receive calls from the UK and call to the UK for free. Perfect.
    But here you are whining about slow Internet, claiming that free Data Roaming was the reason that you joined 3.
    You have just made yourself look like a petulant child.
    • d123
    • By d123 3rd May 16, 4:10 PM
    • 6,488 Posts
    • 4,178 Thanks
    d123
    I doubt either of you will be seeing the others viewpoint in your little tit for tat argument...
    ====
    • NiftyDigits
    • By NiftyDigits 3rd May 16, 6:11 PM
    • 10,287 Posts
    • 4,380 Thanks
    NiftyDigits
    I doubt either of you will be seeing the others viewpoint in your little tit for tat argument...
    Originally posted by d123
    I do see their viewpoint.. It's that of a petulant child.

Roll on June when I can leave this embarrassment for a network.
    This after one instance of using free Data Roaming in the USA.
    • Harald
    • By Harald 4th May 16, 1:07 PM
    • 191 Posts
    • 48 Thanks
    Harald
    I can confirm there is extremely heavy traffic shaping when using Three sim at feel-at-home location.
    Have been tested it in Spain a month ago.
    3 different sim-s, 3 different devices
    2 pay monthly phone sim
    1 payg sim in MiFi devices
    Tested both spanish networks providing roamin with Three in spain
    No difference whatsoever.
    Small amounts of data using typical services working just fine or acceptable: e-mail, facebook, twitter, skype, short web browsing.
    Once you start browsing picture-heavy pages - it slowing down. Almost to zero.
    Same with facebook app - once you start browsing photos, it slows down.

VPN connection is totally unusable. You can establish connection, but is totally unusable, can't even access edge router settings

Skype video call is working with good quality though.

Same mifi device fitted with local sim (same network - Yoigo) is working perfectly.

Contacted Three via Facebook and they confirmed the traffic is shaped. Ooopsss.. sorry. They confirmed it's NOT shaped. They confirmed it's "managed" which obviously makes HUGE difference.

• inkiboo
    • By inkiboo 4th May 16, 6:49 PM
    • 63 Posts
    • 26 Thanks
    inkiboo
    Exactly what I experienced.

I still find it amazing that people are defending Three.

They advertise a service as part of your monthly contract but fail to mention it is virtually usable. But apparently it's my fault for wanting to keep my mobile with my UK number and use a service Three offer!
    • NiftyDigits
    • By NiftyDigits 4th May 16, 7:08 PM
    • 10,287 Posts
    • 4,380 Thanks
    NiftyDigits
    I used it in the USA without major issue. Proved to be excellent value. Of course it could be better, but since I didn't pay much for the privilege, I didn't mind. No drama necessary.
    • Harald
    • By Harald 4th May 16, 9:06 PM
    • 191 Posts
    • 48 Thanks
    Harald
    Exactly what I experienced.

I still find it amazing that people are defending Three.
    Originally posted by inkiboo

Yes, I'm still defending Three. Still as good as other networks. You're getting something for free, using it is not compulsory.

Not perfect, not bad. Probably worst thing for now is run for money - somebody has to pay for O2 takeover and they're raising prices. It's called "phasing out old tarrifs"
    • inkiboo
    • By inkiboo 4th May 16, 9:28 PM
    • 63 Posts
    • 26 Thanks
    inkiboo
    But it's not for free, it's included as part of the service offer. That's a bit like saying receiving calls in the UK is free so you can't complain if it doesn't work as advertised.
    • Harald
    • By Harald 4th May 16, 10:06 PM
    • 191 Posts
    • 48 Thanks
    Harald
    other offers without such extra are not cheaper - for me I can assume it's free
    • boatman
    • By boatman 5th May 16, 12:37 AM
    • 3,337 Posts
    • 2,337 Thanks
    boatman
    If they advertise it, it needs to work, from my experience it was virtually un-usable.

It is a free add on, the purpose of it is to differentiate them from other providers. Many tariffs are of a similar price, so add ons almost certainly sway people, on the basis of avoiding having to pay for it with other networks.
    • Terry98
    • By Terry98 5th May 16, 6:19 AM
    • 772 Posts
    • 712 Thanks
    Terry98
    I used it in Spain and it was very good up to a point.

I started using it in my Mifi. After a couple of days they blocked me and said tethering was not permitted.

When I put the sim in my phone it worked well apart from the daily messages I got from them saying I should shut down my phone and restart it if I was not using Mifi. I assumed if I was using my Mifi I would not have got the message or any internet!
    • bobstheboy
    • By bobstheboy 5th May 16, 9:36 AM
    • 570 Posts
    • 731 Thanks
    bobstheboy
    I have used it in many countries including Australia and never had a problem.

Love it and hopefully more to come.
    • boatman
    • By boatman 6th May 16, 3:27 PM
    • 3,337 Posts
    • 2,337 Thanks
    boatman
    Maybe this (pg 12) article will help show how the speeds are throttled.
    Three are about to offer a 'premium' service for data abroad, which does suggest that the current setup is average at best.
    • mancityni
    • By mancityni 15th Apr 17, 9:28 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    mancityni
    Three Feel at Home now seems pointless
    I've been with Three for so very long but only recently making use of Feel at Home is completely pointless. Data speeds so low can't even open banking app or website. Time to look for a better option
    • Frozen_up_north
    • By Frozen_up_north 16th Apr 17, 7:00 AM
    • 1,083 Posts
    • 476 Thanks
    Frozen_up_north
    Three are about to offer a 'premium' service for data abroad, which does suggest that the current setup is average at best.
    Originally posted by boatman
    It's best to wait and see what all the networks offer after 15th June, when EU roaming charges are scrapped. Vodafone have already started the ball rolling (not that I would recommend any network that doesn't include a spending cap).

Three have been OK for data in the rural areas of Spain, but next to useless in Torrevieja. Calls and SMS have been fine, just a lack of local data capacity at times.

Don't forget to use a VPN to avoid data snooping on those free WiFi hotspots found in many bars...
    • jon81uk
    • By jon81uk 18th Apr 17, 10:49 AM
    • 748 Posts
    • 477 Thanks
    jon81uk
    I used Feel at Hone in Florida and found one network was very slow and the other was good. I think I had to manually switch to T-Mobile as AT&T was slow, but it could have been the other way round.

Feel at Home works as good as it does in the UK when I am in Gran Canaria though.
    • flappysalmon
    • By flappysalmon 10th Jun 17, 8:54 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    flappysalmon
    It indeed is shocking
    Now I can do a speed test in Menorca and prove that they throttle connection badly!

Speed test shows speeds over 20mb!!! Website load fine and so does fb. Play store seems to download apps ok to

But.......

Netfix just doesnt work what so ever. YouTube is very slow and buffers alot even on lowest video quality! I tried to download a app from a website that was only 25mb and my downloader said the speed was 7.7kb/s wich is dam awful!

They state they will lower speeds on streaming and some other services but that is just rediculs
    • gazza007
    • By gazza007 12th Jun 17, 12:22 PM
    • 243 Posts
    • 44 Thanks
    gazza007
    Been a Three Customer for a number of years now and as a regular traveller have made good use of "Feel at Home" My experiences have been mixed, I have found the Data Service good in USA but totally useless in EU when I have been by the pool in Spain and just want to listen to some streamed music etc.
    Three deny they throttle data but they do especially on any IP that requires streaming data.
    Given that the new EU Net Neutrality rules start on the 15th June I tweeted Three to ask if
    1. Will data restrictions be removed
    2. Will 4G be available
    3. Can I use a personal hotspot

Response was
    1. We don't throttle data
    2. No
    3. No
    I am not expert on the agreement but are they on breach of it because that isn't Net Neutrality
    • Paulg0
    • By Paulg0 14th Jun 17, 3:22 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Paulg0
    Pleased to advise that presumably due to the change in EU roaming regulations that as of this morning in Spain Threes throttling of mist things seems to have stopped, YouTube, Iplayer and VPN are all running at full speed now
    • gazza007
    • By gazza007 15th Jun 17, 1:05 PM
    • 243 Posts
    • 44 Thanks
    gazza007
    Do you have 4G & tethering?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

105Posts Today

3,048Users online

Martin's Twitter