Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • clearmydebts
    • By clearmydebts 16th Apr 16, 12:12 PM
    • 6,087Posts
    • 17,554Thanks
    clearmydebts
    Mopping up the mess - my final debt free journey!
    • 16th Apr 16, 12:12 PM
    Mopping up the mess - my final debt free journey! 16th Apr 16 at 12:12 PM
    Hi all! I am a fairly regular poster on here! Here is a link to my older diary: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3991383&page=30

I am 39 and we have just bought our first house (2nd time buyers, we bought a flat first!). We have been married for nearly 10 years and I've been on MSE as long as then. We now have 2 kids, aged 6 and 4 and live in Ireland.

Some of the debts are from we lived in the UK and some are from when we bought the house 5 weeks ago (no appliances left behind so we were starting from scratch). The bad news is that the debt figure is so much. The good news is that we should have about £1000 to pay off the debt each month as that's what we were saving for our deposit. So it can be done, and it will be done!

Ideally I would have loved to have been debt free for my 40th birthday but that's not going to happen in 9 months so my aim now is to be debt free before I turn 41, so in my 40th year.

So how are we going to do it? Well, as I said, we should be able to pay £1000 off most months. I will also have some over-time the next few months and OH should get a decent bonus in December. All is going off the debt! I want to be able to enjoy my kids, my life and my house without worrying about debt!

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 22-11-2017 at 8:57 AM.
    Total debt (starting September 2016): €21,872/€27,000
    BOI credit card: €6,000/€7,000
    Loan:€15,872/
    Savings: €0
Page 6
    • starnac
    • By starnac 26th Jul 17, 2:07 PM
    • 5,188 Posts
    • 24,162 Thanks
    starnac
    Wow! That's a long holiday. Ours get 7 weeks and I thought that was long

We have holiday clubs running this week and another week mid August. DD is booked into a Paddle School for a week (her choice) and we are hoping to go away for a week towards the end of the holidays.

Fingers crossed your OH gets the bonuses.

I'm shocked that you have to buy E80 (sorry no Euro sign on my keyboard!) worth of school books! Are they work books?
    I need a new signature!
    • clearmydebts
    • By clearmydebts 26th Jul 17, 2:11 PM
    • 6,087 Posts
    • 17,554 Thanks
    clearmydebts
    Wow! That's a long holiday. Ours get 7 weeks and I thought that was long

We have holiday clubs running this week and another week mid August. DD is booked into a Paddle School for a week (her choice) and we are hoping to go away for a week towards the end of the holidays.

Fingers crossed your OH gets the bonuses.

I'm shocked that you have to buy E80 (sorry no Euro sign on my keyboard!) worth of school books! Are they work books?
    Originally posted by starnac
    Yes they are workbooks for the 2 kids! And that seems to be cheap compared to secondary school. We also have to pay €100 for arts/crafts/photocopying etc when they start school, for both of them.

Sounds like you have a very busy holiday period planned too
    • starnac
    • By starnac 26th Jul 17, 2:15 PM
    • 5,188 Posts
    • 24,162 Thanks
    starnac
    Yes it does seem to be pretty busy! I was trying to have a quiet one this year but I seem to have failed

Wow! I can't believe school is that expensive with you! We are very lucky here obviously
    I need a new signature!
    • clearmydebts
    • By clearmydebts 26th Jul 17, 2:23 PM
    • 6,087 Posts
    • 17,554 Thanks
    clearmydebts
    Yes it does seem to be pretty busy! I was trying to have a quiet one this year but I seem to have failed

Wow! I can't believe school is that expensive with you! We are very lucky here obviously
    I have been trying to occupy the kids as best I can for a little cost as possible and haven't been doing too bad. I've been lucky that a lot of their friends seem to have summer birthdays so that's occupied a few days for them. It's a tough balancing act isn't it?

I think the costs are pretty average for over here but it all adds up doesn't it? I have bought their school uniforms already so that is sorted at least. Their school tracksuits are crested and they cost €84 alone. Thankfully the school uniforms are generic!
    • parsniphead
    • By parsniphead 27th Jul 17, 8:41 AM
    • 2,244 Posts
    • 14,283 Thanks
    parsniphead
    Goodness what you have to pay out for school is crazy. I know over hear schools are starting to ask for extra money but . I'm sure that it was you talking aboutl costs Drs visits on your old diary. Shocking. I apologise if i have the wrong person.
    Nothing gets better until you get better.
    • clearmydebts
    • By clearmydebts 27th Jul 17, 9:13 AM
    • 6,087 Posts
    • 17,554 Thanks
    clearmydebts
    Goodness what you have to pay out for school is crazy. I know over hear schools are starting to ask for extra money but . I'm sure that it was you talking aboutl costs Drs visits on your old diary. Shocking. I apologise if i have the wrong person.
    Originally posted by parsniphead
    The school costs definitely add up, especially when I've to pay for swimming and gymnastics for Sept as well it definitely leaves short change for any overpayments on the debt.

Yes it was me that was talking about doctor visits. It is €55 over here to see the GP. Luckily we get €40 of that thanks to OH's health insurance but we've had a lot of consultant visits this year. The last one cost €130.
    • starnac
    • By starnac 27th Jul 17, 1:42 PM
    • 5,188 Posts
    • 24,162 Thanks
    starnac
    I think the costs are pretty average for over here but it all adds up doesn't it? I have bought their school uniforms already so that is sorted at least. Their school tracksuits are crested and they cost €84 alone. Thankfully the school uniforms are generic!
    Originally posted by clearmydebts
    Our school uniform (especially for the girls) is very specific as it's a welsh school. The english schools all tend to be generic but the welsh schools like to stand out. Which is great when you are on a school trip. Our kids are very easy to spot! But not so great when you have to buy them. Luckily the boys wear grey trousers whch can be bought from supermarkets these days and the girl's summer uniforms can now also be bought in our local Mr A thanks to a lot of "customer pressure"
    I need a new signature!
    • clearmydebts
    • By clearmydebts 4th Aug 17, 4:46 PM
    • 6,087 Posts
    • 17,554 Thanks
    clearmydebts
    Feeling a bit meh about the debt journey today. We have so much expenses over the next few months with 2 weddings abroad, school and hobbies expenses and a girlie weekend abroad for me to round off the 40th celebrations. We also have DD's birthday in mid-September. I know it will be quiet after that (apart from Christmas) but it just feels neverending at the moment.

Definitely a first world problem moan from me today!
    • starnac
    • By starnac 5th Aug 17, 1:35 PM
    • 5,188 Posts
    • 24,162 Thanks
    starnac
    Oh don't get downheartened. Just think of all the work you have done. You have worked hard. Just think of how worse off you would be if you hadn't done all that you have to bring down your debt.

Enjoy your weddings and birthdays and holidays and come back in September ready to start battling the debt again.
    I need a new signature!
    • clearmydebts
    • By clearmydebts 16th Nov 17, 12:04 PM
    • 6,087 Posts
    • 17,554 Thanks
    clearmydebts
    My goodness haven't been on here in such a long time

Lots of stuff going on in my personal life. Finances were a bit all over the place the last few months but I think we might be turning a corner at last.

Will be back on again soon. Under 22k now so that's something to be positive about.
    • starnac
    • By starnac 22nd Nov 17, 1:34 PM
    • 5,188 Posts
    • 24,162 Thanks
    starnac
    Hey Nice to see you. I haven't been on here for forever so it's nice to see old friends. Hope you and the kids are doing okay x
    I need a new signature!
    • clearmydebts
    • By clearmydebts 4th Dec 17, 4:34 PM
    • 6,087 Posts
    • 17,554 Thanks
    clearmydebts
    Hey Nice to see you. I haven't been on here for forever so it's nice to see old friends. Hope you and the kids are doing okay x
    Star - so lovely to see you on here! So what's your new sig going to be???
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

120Posts Today

3,045Users online

Martin's Twitter