Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • sexymouse
    • By sexymouse 13th Apr 16, 12:29 PM
    • 5,657Posts
    • 70,479Thanks
    sexymouse
    Official Trying to Conceive - Thread 13
    • 13th Apr 16, 12:29 PM
    Official Trying to Conceive - Thread 13 13th Apr 16 at 12:29 PM
    This is the new thread for those trying for a baby.
    The previous one is here:
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5143999

Please be aware that this is a thread for those trying to conceive. If you wish to announce a pregnancy (or are only a couple of days from testing) and you have never used this thread before, please either wait until CD1 or use the less than 12 weeks pregnant thread. Hormones can run high on here (nature of the thread!) so please be sensitive. Many thanks!

List of Users
    Alex_88 TTC #1 since 09/15
    angel11 (34) TTC #1 Since 08/15
    Apple1985 (30) TTC #1 Since 12/15
    big5
    (33) TTC #2 Since 2/16
    cats2012 (27) TTC #1 Since 05/15
    Clarabell1984 (31) TTC #1 Since 09/15
    easilydistracted (33) TTC#1 Since 01/16
    Keekee (38) TTC #1 Since 05/15
    MancMama4 (35) TTC #1 () Since 04/15
    Meepmeep (40) TTC #1 Since 01/16
    Midget1907 (29) TTC #1 Since 09/15
    Milliebob (27) TTC #2 Since 05/15
    newthrift (25) TTC #1 Since 11/15
    pinkpetal (36) TTC #1 Since 10/15
    sexymouse (32) TTC #3 (
    ) Since 02/16
    Tinks05 (27) TTC #1 Since 03/16
    VicVics (29) TTC #2 Since 04/16

Those with * used Preseed/Conceive Plus

Thread Graduates
    big5 BFP 15/6/16
    sexymouse BFP 4/6/16
    newthrift BFP 23/5/16
    VicVics BFP 16/5/16
    MancMama4 BFP 29/4/16
    pinkpetal BFP 24/4/16
    Apple1985 BFP 19/4/16
    Tinks05 BFP 18/4/16

Link to abbreviations courtesy of MadMac from previous threads - http://www.tryingtoconceive.com/abbrevs.htm

The most common ones are:

AF - Aunt Flo (period)
    BFP - Big Fat Positive (+ on home pregnancy test)
    BD - Baby dance (making babies)
    CBFM - Clearblue fertility monitor
    CD - Cycle date (CD1 is the 1st day of period)
    DPO - Days past ovulation (if ovulation was on CD15, then that is 0DPO, CD16 is 1DPO)
    HPT - Home Pregnancy Test
    IC - Internet cheapie (IC OPKs, hpts)
    NTNP - Not trying not preventing (pregnancy)
    OV - ovulation
    OPK - ovulation predictor kits
    SBDTA - Sticky baby dust to all
    SS - symptom spotting
    Temp - temperature (BBT)
    TLP - Tiny little positive (faint positive on pregnancy test)

Also, an useful website telling you when to test, when you are ovulating and how the egg is developing etc found by Smash7 is here: http://www.pregnology.com

This website is also useful http://www.pregnancyloss.info/sperm_meets_egg_plan.htm
    It details the Sperm Meets Egg Plan (SMEP) which some have found helpful in conceiving.

Some TMI cm pics here:
    http://www.fertilityuk.org/nfps401.html

Drugs you can take when pregnant
    Some CBFM FAQs
    Vitamins and minerals that can aid conception and pregnancy

Sensitivity of home pregnancy tests (lower = more sensitive, earlier results)
    Superdrug Own Brand (pink box - states can use 4 days before late AF on box) 10mIU
    First Vue dip tests (poundland) - 20mIU
    One step midstream (ALDI) - 25mIU
    Clearblue - 25mIU
    Clearblue Digital - 50mIU
    First response early response - 12.5mIU
    Boots own brand - 25mIU/50mIU
    Sainsburys own - 15mIU
    Tesco own - 25mIU
    ASDA own - 25mIU
    CBD with conception indicator - 25mIU

There is no such thing as a silly question, so please ask anything you are curious about. Many of us have 'been there done that' and many of our graduates still read this thread and are happy to offer advice when it is needed and relevant.

As with everything deemed medical, we cannot offer medical advice, so please visit or call your GP if you have any concerns or questions. Getting a preconception check up is recommended and allows your GP to know that you're trying for a baby as well as identifying and rectifying any issues or problems that may interfere with a pregnancy before you conceive.
    Last edited by sexymouse; 19-06-2016 at 9:06 PM.
    Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    I married Moon 8th April 2011, 1st baby boy born 26th September 2012 , Poppy born 8th November 2015
Page 75
    • firebird082
    • By firebird082 17th Oct 16, 2:13 PM
    • 389 Posts
    • 345 Thanks
    firebird082
    I haven't done any other test yet but am experiencing symptoms. I have another Boots cheapy left (bought a pack of 2 upon the assumption it wouldn't happen this quickly). Is it worth splashing out on a more expensive one and/or testing with the test I have left do you think?
    Originally posted by snowscreamer
    De-lurking again, sorry! Depends how desperate you are. I tested 2 days after my TLP and got another TLP. Then waited another 5 days and it was a BFP on a cheapie. No wasted money!
    • snowscreamer
    • By snowscreamer 17th Oct 16, 2:16 PM
    • 374 Posts
    • 239 Thanks
    snowscreamer
    I think I'll do my other cheapy at the weekend as planned and save the money on a digital test. I'm fairly convinced already though due to symptoms! See you back in the other thread, firebird
    Cleared my credit card debt of £7123.58 in a year using YNAB! Debt free date 04/12/2015.
    Enjoying sending hundreds of pounds a month to savings rather than debt repayment!
    • A0503
    • By A0503 17th Oct 16, 2:36 PM
    • 74 Posts
    • 80 Thanks
    A0503
    Ahh tlp that makes sense, a line is a line as they say!
    xx
    • ButterflyBabe
    • By ButterflyBabe 17th Oct 16, 2:55 PM
    • 54 Posts
    • 49 Thanks
    ButterflyBabe
    Can I please be moved to the 'if in doubt zone' please Newthrift AF didn't hang around too long after her late arrival. I'm feeling positive this month, I've ordered loads of OPK's and IC pregnancy tests.

I am thinking of doing the SMEP this month, has anyone done it before? Is it literally DTD every other day around OV?

Hope all is well with everyone and congrats to all the BFP's xx
    • A0503
    • By A0503 17th Oct 16, 3:01 PM
    • 74 Posts
    • 80 Thanks
    A0503
    I did SMEP last two month butterfly its hard going but I felt more relaxed in the tww and didn't obsess over if I'd caught ovulation or not. Whilst it didn't work for me there's loads of positive stories online. I followed SMEP by testing for ov 2x a day from cycle day 10. You also need to start bd'ing every other day from this point. When you get your positive OPK you need to bd that day, the day after and the day after that so 3 days straight. Then u have a day off and then bd day after. I found it quite forced and it became stressful hence why this month we've gone with the wind and just bd whenever we want, but I'm glad I tried it xxx
    • Munchkin84
    • By Munchkin84 17th Oct 16, 3:13 PM
    • 52 Posts
    • 54 Thanks
    Munchkin84
    I'm going to try SMEP next month butterfly.
    Fingers crossed X
    • Rachylou1981
    • By Rachylou1981 17th Oct 16, 4:05 PM
    • 578 Posts
    • 490 Thanks
    Rachylou1981
    I did SMEP the month I got my BFP so have tried to do it since but not been successful most cycles due to OH being away and a UTI last cycle. The UTI made me a bit wary of overdoing things and so this cycle we did EOD with 2 consequtive days at Ov instead of 3 (went by the OPK)
    • twigpig
    • By twigpig 17th Oct 16, 5:26 PM
    • 967 Posts
    • 4,057 Thanks
    twigpig
    Absolutely snowscreamer. I'd want to know for certain. Try another cheapie and then splash out, think you're 17dpo now so a good time to test. I think FF usually recommends 18dpo to test

Must be tough rach when oh I'd away. It can be challenging enough without trying to work around your partner being home.
    TTC #3..........
    • newthrift
    • By newthrift 17th Oct 16, 8:39 PM
    • 1,163 Posts
    • 8,115 Thanks
    newthrift
    I did SMEP last two month butterfly its hard going but I felt more relaxed in the tww and didn't obsess over if I'd caught ovulation or not. Whilst it didn't work for me there's loads of positive stories online. I followed SMEP by testing for ov 2x a day from cycle day 10. You also need to start bd'ing every other day from this point. When you get your positive OPK you need to bd that day, the day after and the day after that so 3 days straight. Then u have a day off and then bd day after. I found it quite forced and it became stressful hence why this month we've gone with the wind and just bd whenever we want, but I'm glad I tried it xxx
    Originally posted by A0503
    ^^ could of wrote this myself! We did it for one month though. I found the OPK's handy for one month just to check out my timings a bit better with me having quite long cycles (36days). Everyone is different and it is always worth having a go
    Christmas is the most magical time of the year
    • newthrift
    • By newthrift 18th Oct 16, 5:50 AM
    • 1,163 Posts
    • 8,115 Thanks
    newthrift
    Two Week Wait (BFP Hopefuls)
    CD33 newthrift - 11DPO
    CD35 LittleMissGiggle - 20DPO
    "If in doubt - BD" Zone
    CD6 ButterflyBabe - Awaiting ov
    CD11 Ratison - Awaiting ov
    CD13 easilydistracted - Awaiting ov
    CD21 athensgeorgia - Awaiting ov
    CD24 angel11 - Awaiting ov
    CD24 midget_1907 - Awaiting ov
    CD25 Milliebob - Awaiting ov
    CD42 kira000 - Awaiting ov
    CD66 Slinky_Selina - Awaiting ov
    "Wine and Chocolate" zone
    CD3 twigpig - Awaiting ov https://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/353d56/

Those we haven't heard from in a while
    CD142 freshstart11 - Awaiting ov

Those with * sometimes uses conceive plus/preseed.
    The names in blue has a link to their Fertility Friend chart.
    When posting updates, can you please do them in Magenta so it's easy to spot. This thread is all about support, so remember to click thanks on as many posts as you can! It makes us all feel loved.

For those posting on smartphones or tablets the code for magenta is
    ([ )COLOR="magenta"( ] )your text ( [ )/COLOR ( ] ) (lose the round bracket)

Please let me know if anything needs editing (including the zone you are in) and I will try to keep up.

Thread Graduates
    Snowscreamer 15/10/16
    Firebird082 08/10/16
    Penguingirl 24/09/16
    april87 22/09/16
    Keekee BFP 21/08/16
    Clarabell1984 BFP 21/7/16
    Cats2012 BFP 9/7/16
    big5 BFP 15/6/16
    sexymouse BFP 4/6/16

VicVics BFP 16/5/16
    MancMama4 BFP 29/4/16
    pinkpetal BFP 24/4/16
    Apple1985 BFP 19/4/16
    Tinks05 BFP 18/4/16
    • ButterflyBabe
    • By ButterflyBabe 18th Oct 16, 10:40 AM
    • 54 Posts
    • 49 Thanks
    ButterflyBabe
    Thanks everyone, its good to hear other people's experiences. I suppose it can't hurt to give it a go for 1 month, OH and I are pretty active in the BD'ing department anyway so I'm sure we can manage to DTD every other day

He will think all his Christmas' and Birthdays have come at once!!
    • athensgeorgia
    • By athensgeorgia 18th Oct 16, 3:32 PM
    • 607 Posts
    • 402 Thanks
    athensgeorgia
    I think I'm getting to grips with my cycle. I think OV is gearing up to arrive any day now going off the last couple of months where I thought it wasn't happening. I think I've been dtd too soon for the past couple of months and missing OV entirely. It's amazing how much insight you gain when tracking.

I've made an appointment aswell to see my GP, it's not until November but I'm feeling more positive.
    • newthrift
    • By newthrift 18th Oct 16, 7:29 PM
    • 1,163 Posts
    • 8,115 Thanks
    newthrift
    Something I've noticed;
    Apart from occasional very mild AF like cramps the past couple days, as of this evening I'm getting a few twinges/sharper stretchier like pains.... 4 days and counting to test time!
    • Ratison
    • By Ratison 18th Oct 16, 7:48 PM
    • 230 Posts
    • 1,015 Thanks
    Ratison
    Something I've noticed;
    Apart from occasional very mild AF like cramps the past couple days, as of this evening I'm getting a few twinges/sharper stretchier like pains.... 4 days and counting to test time!
    Originally posted by newthrift
    How do you manage not to just test?! Or will it be too soon for you?

My ovulation tests arrive tomorrow so I'll start testing after work. Will be CD12 so probably a good time to start.
    Debt free date: 8th June 2015

Bathroom Fund: £4500
    • snowscreamer
    • By snowscreamer 18th Oct 16, 7:52 PM
    • 374 Posts
    • 239 Thanks
    snowscreamer
    Something I've noticed;
    Delurking to say... this sounds very promising! The same was true for me this month... Fingers crossed!
    Cleared my credit card debt of £7123.58 in a year using YNAB! Debt free date 04/12/2015.
    Enjoying sending hundreds of pounds a month to savings rather than debt repayment!
    • newthrift
    • By newthrift 18th Oct 16, 8:38 PM
    • 1,163 Posts
    • 8,115 Thanks
    newthrift
    How do you manage not to just test?! Or will it be too soon for you?

My ovulation tests arrive tomorrow so I'll start testing after work. Will be CD12 so probably a good time to start.
    Originally posted by Ratison
    I'm normally a 14day LP and I don't like to test until at least 1 day late, too many sad stories with chem pg and I want to try and avoid any other losses. But I will say, it takes a lot of talking to myself out of it to hold off haha!

Which OPKS have you gone for?

Thanks snowscreamer xx
    Last edited by newthrift; 18-10-2016 at 8:48 PM.
    • Ratison
    • By Ratison 18th Oct 16, 9:02 PM
    • 230 Posts
    • 1,015 Thanks
    Ratison
    I'm normally a 14day LP and I don't like to test until at least 1 day late, too many sad stories with chem pg and I want to try and avoid any other losses. But I will say, it takes a lot of talking to myself out of it to hold off haha!

Which OPKS have you gone for?

Thanks snowscreamer xx
    Just the cheap ones from amazon. I've ordered 50.

Keeping fingers crossed newthrift, if you leave us in a few days, we'll be sure to keep the daily updates going!
    Debt free date: 8th June 2015

Bathroom Fund: £4500
    • newthrift
    • By newthrift 19th Oct 16, 7:48 AM
    • 1,163 Posts
    • 8,115 Thanks
    newthrift
    Two Week Wait (BFP Hopefuls)
    CD34 newthrift - 12DPO
    CD36 LittleMissGiggle - 21DPO
    "If in doubt - BD" Zone
    CD7 ButterflyBabe - Awaiting ov
    CD12 Ratison - Awaiting ov
    CD14 easilydistracted - Awaiting ov
    CD22 athensgeorgia - Awaiting ov
    CD25 angel11 - Awaiting ov
    CD25 midget_1907 - Awaiting ov
    CD26 Milliebob - Awaiting ov
    CD43 kira000 - Awaiting ov
    CD67 Slinky_Selina - Awaiting ov
    "Wine and Chocolate" zone
    CD1 Cherrygale - Awaiting ov
    CD4 twigpig - Awaiting ov https://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/353d56/

Those we haven't heard from in a while
    CD143 freshstart11 - Awaiting ov

Those with * sometimes uses conceive plus/preseed.
    The names in blue has a link to their Fertility Friend chart.
    When posting updates, can you please do them in Magenta so it's easy to spot. This thread is all about support, so remember to click thanks on as many posts as you can! It makes us all feel loved.

For those posting on smartphones or tablets the code for magenta is
    ([ )COLOR="magenta"( ] )your text ( [ )/COLOR ( ] ) (lose the round bracket)

Please let me know if anything needs editing (including the zone you are in) and I will try to keep up.

Thread Graduates
    Snowscreamer 15/10/16
    Firebird082 08/10/16
    Penguingirl 24/09/16
    april87 22/09/16
    Keekee BFP 21/08/16
    Clarabell1984 BFP 21/7/16
    Cats2012 BFP 9/7/16
    big5 BFP 15/6/16
    sexymouse BFP 4/6/16

VicVics BFP 16/5/16
    MancMama4 BFP 29/4/16
    pinkpetal BFP 24/4/16
    Apple1985 BFP 19/4/16
    Tinks05 BFP 18/4/16
    Last edited by newthrift; 19-10-2016 at 11:42 AM.
    • newthrift
    • By newthrift 19th Oct 16, 7:51 AM
    • 1,163 Posts
    • 8,115 Thanks
    newthrift
    Feeling a bit like I've resigned myself to AF arriving (although hope to be wrong) just because I keep getting cramps on and off like when AF is on her way this morning, fingers crossed I'm wrong!
    I'm really hoping this cold eases off! Normally I don't pick them up so easily but I went near someone Friday with one and I'd got it by Sunday which is ridiculously quick!!
    • angel11
    • By angel11 19th Oct 16, 9:02 AM
    • 405 Posts
    • 453 Thanks
    angel11
    Congratulations snow

Fx af stays away new

I've got the cold too, feeling miserable & very sorry for myself
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,364Posts Today

6,013Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Going to a very exciting premier right now... with Mrs and mini MSE, to the screening of "we're going on a bear hunt"

• No. Not a huge fan. Never claimed to be.Just a fan. And one who choose to prioritise family time with his little gi? https://t.co/lZ9uUylk2U

• I've just checked the score. You're right. What happened? https://t.co/5E7y52r47o

• Follow Martin